/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Fanmis-Military-Multifunctional-Waterproof-Wristwatch/dp/B00SYXUF8W/
meranom.com/en/komandirskie-classic/59/vostok-watch-junior-591071.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm convinced Sinn spent the last decade finding every single one of these watches and destroying them so no one could have it.

>hmm, which one am I going to destroy on the desk today

So the mismatch between the oscillator frequency and the second hand advance frequency on this is pretty apparent - maybe the second hand is indirectly driven, like the miyota?

where my 'shock boys at?

Repost from previous thread about the ETA C07.111 movement:

Is the hamilton khaki field automatic the cheapest automatic watch that has the ETA C07.111 movement?

The grey market shops are selling it for about 350 USD.

I am mostly interested in the 80 hour power reserve, which I find quite impressive given the price point and given that they left the case size a modest 38mm instead of some retarded panerai size.

Aside from the chinese clones, or manual wind pocket watch movements, are there other "cheap" automatic movements which have 70+ hours of power reserve?

> lowered beat rate
> plastic escapement
Yes, it's probably the cheapest one

So cool. Shame it seems servicing them can be costly/difficult as the years pass.

post meme watches

Every watch is basically a meme.

but I wanna see the REAL meme watches

watches that normies won't understand

I'm not but what's out there without the plastic escapement and 38 or 40mm with the same features of a field watch as the hamilton?

got my first automatic. the SARB035. it may be a bit of a meme but it's very nice, and probably the closest i'll get to a grand seiko. i put it on a brown leather strap.

with the long power reserve? As far as we can tell the new B&M Baumatic is actually a nice departure from B&M's prior overpriced bottom-grade ETA approach. 5 day power reserve, 40x10.3mm

finally arrived

That's really nice. The power reserve isn't a big deal for me. If get one of the earlier khaki fields without the plastic if I could find a new one.

I guess the hand winding version is an option however.

> lower beat rate
I don't mind lower beat rates.

> plastic escapement
Thats the tissot variant, which has 23 jewels. The hamilton variant retains a metal escapement, thats why it still needs 25 jewels.

Weekender on the weekend

What possible use is ten-thousandth second precision on a hand operated chronograph?

how do you boys feel about tourbillons?

Watch company dick waving
That's more accurate than human reaction time so is pointless.

any holy trinity fags ever in these threads? (PP,AP,VC)

I’ll never afford one

amazing work

Whats a good, analog, solar, radio signal calibration watch that's well made, and is quality without being half plastic?

Sub $500

I feel like i'd have to hire an armed bodyguard to follow me whenever I wore it if I had one

SSG001

Can anyone explain the popularity of the fregman?
Seriously, why that line out of all of them is the first always to sell out?

admiralskie
the meem that never was

frogman is the best looking 'man variant imo and a superb diving watch.
also the only one who's features are all pretty useful for its purpose and the least gimmicky

I'd say mudman is solid as well being a great all purpose watch but its versatility also means its not as good for anything specific.

If someone were giving me a choice for grand complications, the tourbillion would be the last one I would want.
As I always understood it, the mechanism made sense only in a pocketwatch which was pretty much always vertical in a waistcoat pocket. Something on the wrist that moves around wildly sorta defeats the purpose of the mechanism doesn't it? I guess that's why JLC went with the rollcage.

Takes up too much room. Makes watches uncomfortably THICC.
Visually distracting, with a little jittery thing on the dial. I've yet to see an aesthetically pleasing dial layout incorporating a tourbillion.
It's the epitome of horological wankery, and yes it's all nice and all but I'd rather have something even minutely more useful to me rather than just wrist candy and bragging rights to the 4 people out there I know that give a shit about this stuff and wouldn't confuse it for some "open heart" fedora skelly lmao.

Give me a decimal repeater, or a grande sonnerie. The sweet chimes would lull me into a reverie-filled daze and increasingly infuriate all those around me.
One can dream.

(maybe just my ears but the patek repeaters sound nicer than the others, like the ((((((PING))))) of a s.t. dupont lighter, often copied and compared, but not quite the same as anything else)

very fair points, can't really argue with any of them. But for me, I actually really like the aesthetic of the tourbillon movement. It just constantly reminds me of the ridiculous over engineering and artisanal craftsmanship that it takes to make the watch and that's why anyone really buys grand complication mechanical watches in the first place. Sonnerie would be just as amazing, too. The fact that they can put a fucking grandfather clock on my wrist entirely mechanically is just mind boggling.

This guy knows whats up.

Ocw-s100 is a bit above your budget.

Charging mine under the SUN

>Charging mine under the SUN

I have $100 waveceptor, and while its nice, it feels cheap. its too light, too much plastic, and the light is pathetic.

how does this $500 Casio compare?

Im looking at all these crazy G shock watches.

what should I buy?

what fields do they cover? do they have temp sensors? humidity? compass?

the higher end G-shocks are really nice imo
though the prices go up a lot most of the highest end ones aren't that different from the cheaper variants

yes all of those, but it depends on what variant
some are just generic with different colour and design, some are more sports oriented for running/swimming/skiing
the G-master or man series are all outdoors and heavy duty stuff with loads of features, many of them a bit gimmicky but useful if you really want them.
mudman is a great all around outdoor utility watch with compass, temp sensor, moonphase and other general use stuff but nothing focused like the Riseman or Frogman have for climbing/diving.

the protrek series as well are good outdoor watches

rescue is pretty cool, like a discount gulfman if you're into watersports or fishing, though I'd prefer the Gulfman for the better battery and solar

Thanks

I'm into camping, and road tripping. Not necessarily need a world traveler, but I get dirty, and need a good watch. I might throw a nice NATO band on it too.

do any of them have an actual compass with a proper readout?

how about pic related? or the GA100A

get a new Mudman
the one you posted is just a generic analog and 2y battery is not that great compared to solar

I like the concept of the gshock and I respect casio for the quality of the solar hardware they make

but gshocks look fucking stupid, nobody over 14 can wear one without looking like an idiot

i wish they would make better cases for them, that would be cheap

I'm looking at it.

also this came up

amazon.com/Fanmis-Military-Multifunctional-Waterproof-Wristwatch/dp/B00SYXUF8W/

worth it?

disagree, they look rugged and I see loads of people wearing them
Casio is easily the most popular watch brand I see in day to day life, and G-shocks are fairly common, especially the more unique looking ones for similar reasons that people get the odd looking swatches.

some of them look very autistic though

>fanmis
no lol, looks like a cheap rippof
just put the money down and get a decent one that actually works
200 something for a hardy toolwatch is fine

RARE watch, please buy asap

i hate that grellow so much

sistem51 runs for 90 hours and is even cheaper, but the cases are all 42mm

yes this is a fantastic watch, military quality and a cheap price because its Chinese made like Seagull but the quality is all the same, just no branding

Agree

fuck it, its $13 and I'll have it Monday

I'm really digging the protrek

any particular recommendations? i dont need smart watch functions.

Just know most protreks are pretty massive in diameter. I think there are a handful of smaller ones though.

I normally wear a 48mm

just get a real one
you can't afford like 50$ for a generic G-shock?

im looking at a $150 watch. $14 aint shit. i can throw it in the trash if I dont liken it.

Will swapping to a GW5000 band make my GWM5610 more comfortable?
I have 7.3 inch wrists but they are skeleton wrists with no fat to insulate from bracelets, NATOs, or silicone bands. Most of my watches get tossed on hirsch natural rubber straps.

Lawyer user was the only one, I think.

IRCC there was an user, not a a regular one though, that had this VC.

i have both a GW-5000 and a GWM-5610 and the factory bands are absolutely identical

Normies would think this was a shitty small Denzel Washington rip off.

033 is the superior SARB.

Had one and sold it, boring ass jap salaryman/slave watch. Also +25s/d out of the box was kind of unacceptable, my Vostoks were much better than that.

TICK

shhould I buy this

Sounds like you bought a lemon, mine is around +4 secs.

>shhould I buy this
If you want.

jålå

Im removing stem from crown. Which loctite glue will be proper to screw it again in crown? Loctite 221? any thoughts?

Let's say you were starting up a watch company with some aspirations of being horologically respected, what would you name it and how would you avoid it sounding like an AliExpress knock-off shitter company?

Dengfu Shenzhen Trading

My little brother (12) has an interest in mechanical watches. I wanted to get him a budget-friendly Vostok, are there any of these watches with a small case diameter for children's wrists?

not really. better option is seiko SNK80x

Thanks for the recommendation, I might just go with that.

meranom.com/en/komandirskie-classic/59/vostok-watch-junior-591071.html

Remarkably affordable, and I didn't know about this as Vostok's website. Much appreciated.

Loctite blue threadlocker. I don't know what the difference is between 242 and 243 but this is what I use. In any case don't use superglue.

Get a Seiko 5. Almost all current models have an exhibition caseback. The SNK-80x series is probably the best choice since it has a two piece nylon strap instead of the non-separating bracelet. Easier to just look at the movement.

It's the site of one guy who works at the factory, not exactly Vostok's site. But he can get pretty much anything they make, and also crate special orders or limited editions.

But I'll join the others and say you should consider a seiko 5. From some retailers, the snk809 is less than $60.

You've sold me on the seiko 5, I think he'd love the exhibition caseback. I'm tempted on a Vostok Amphibian for myself now though hahaha

Amphibians are great dense steel divers.

>Namefag
>Shitty opinions
Story checks out

I've got an Astron Chronograph and love it.

You can't say anything that may portray Seiko in a negative light here because when the autists show up they will start sperging out on you and destroy the thread.

Here's the new watch I bought this evening, faggots. If you only know low end watch brands, let me dumb it down for you. This is called a Rolex Presidential.

I never wear cheap watches like workingclass faggots who act rich. Trash tier brands like Casio and Timex. Money isn't a problem, but that's not something you can understand. Your overworked palms are too dirty to even be near expensive things.

To you middle class peasants who barely scrape by on bad credit, have fun dying early. I'll retire around the same time you're buried. This watch easily costs more than the shitty cars you drive, if you even own one.

AMA. If you are extra kind, perhaps I'll give you some life tips to be rich as I am. Just maybe you can luckily work for me some day, if you get up the ranks? Maybe serve me a glass of four figure priced wine?