Apple vs Android

So, I’ve been an Apple user for years. Lately, I’ve been really thinking hard about switching to Android. Why? Because honestly Apple is just stale now and without the ability to really customize anything.

So what’s stopped me from changing? Understand that I’ve been in the Apple walled garden for years - what I have heard about Android is the following:

>Android Apps aren’t as polished and stable as Apple apps.
>Android has tons of bloatware from the manufacturer and carrier that you can’t delete.
>malware and having to a virus scanner.
>You may have to wait months and months to get the latest Android update after it’s released.
>less than seamless exchange of files and data between devices.

So, is there any merit to those concerns?

With Apple if I start something my phone I can finish on my iPad without a glitch.

I’m not baiting or meming here. I’m seriously considering changing to the Note 8. I’ve watched Sakitech’s videos and like what I see.

But besides customization what else is an advantage of Droid over Apple?

Tkx in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cI3_tmP5xpFTGlWmEg9goQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Friendly reminder that this iToddler shill has been banned for an accumulated length of over 5+ years by the mods and still ban evades and comes back thinking he belongs here.
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cI3_tmP5xpFTGlWmEg9goQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/

I switched from a 6s to a note8 a few months ago.

The play store is a wasteland of fucking trash. Don't use it unless you have to. Most anons here would recommend using F-Droid, a 3rd party FOSS app store.

>Android has tons of bloatware from the manufacturer and carrier that you can’t delete.
This is true. You can remove most of it using ADB or rooting your phone.

>malware
It's like any other platform, don't be retarded.

>update time
Depends on the OEM, Pixel phones are the fastest, Samsung has a reputation for being slow but delivering updates for many years after release.

>file transfers
Depends which devices you use. I use handshaker on an MBP and it's fine, but airdrop was better.

Whether you should switch all comes down to your use cases. If you're already deep into Apple territory, just stick with them.

Ok thanks. I device more and more for everything. One of the things that I liked was the flexibility to create private and secure folders, split screen, PnP.

Do you regret the change? Anything you miss from the Apple ecosystem or devices?

Wtf are you taking about? I spend 99% of time on Sup Forums Sup Forums and /fit/ - I only came to get some points of view. And to see what the more “expert” opinions are.

I'd switch to android again, maybe a different phone though. Make sure you go and try a lot of different phones before you buy.

iMessage and aidrop are the biggest features I miss, but its not really an issue for me.

I'm thinking about switching in the other direction. Grass is greener syndrome is strong.

I was looking hard at the Note 8... what was it you didn’t quite like? iMessage is good, but like you it’s not really an issue for me.

its a bot

>spend time on Sup Forums
mentally retarded

Get a OnePlus phone and flash a custom ROM for more privacy. Zero bloatware.

Have you tried one out? Its fine 95% of the time but theres an occasional stutter. A phone running a more barebones ROM like the pixel wont have this problem. It depends on how important samsung features are to you. Samsung Pay is very good, the pen is useful sometimes.

I’ll check it out. I still like the idea of the Note. The additional stylus is something I like.

Well, my point of view is that any smartphone is a loss of money, privacy, and time, not mentioning that it's poisoning your social insertion.

What do you need to do with a smartphone that you couldn't do without?

I’ve not put my hands on one yet... just the occasional messing around with a coworkers phone. I’ve mostly been watching YouTube reviews.

>>Android Apps aren’t as polished and stable as Apple apps.
>>Android has tons of bloatware from the manufacturer and carrier that you can’t delete.
>>malware and having to a virus scanner.
>>You may have to wait months and months to get the latest Android update after it’s released.
>>less than seamless exchange of files and data between devices.

you want the google pixel. Basically the iPhone of android

Everything. Calendar, schedules, notes, todo lists, games, video/movies, email, messaging, Word docs, Excel, shitposting, monitoring health and fitness, photographs, music... the list goes on. I use technology for more than just Facebook and texting.

That was what started my draw to Android (besides Apple getting stale). While I can do most of those things with Apple, Android seemed to offer more flexibility and more true multitasking capability.

This is false and depends on the developer. But yes, while android has 100x more apps, 90% of them are shit.

So don't buy it from a carrier. A lot of manufacturers use stock android. You'll only see bloat with Sony and Samsung. But there's really nothing wrong with some customized ROMs like Huawei's and OnePlus'.
You can always root to delete the apps. But this is in most cases unnecessary. In fact, any app that a carrier installs onto your device is removable without root. Almost all apps can be disabled. This means you won't lose anything other than a few megabytes of storage.

>malware and having to a virus scanner.
False

>You may have to wait months and months to get the latest Android update after it’s released.
Depends on the brand. Google's phones are always up to date. Samsung has their own OS (Touchwiz), so their updates are naturally behind schedule. This doesn't mean that you don't get THEIR newest features or security updates. Most devices will get an update once every 1-3 months. Stay with decent brands like Google, Samsung, OnePlus, Xiaomi.

>less than seamless exchange of files and data between devices.
Data sharing on android is far superior to iOS.

>what else is an advantage of Droid over Apple?
Better OS overall. More app choices. Better user experience for non-trivial things (file sharing between devices, installing 3rd party software, altering system settings). Freedom to do more, again, installing software from outside a single store and torrenting.

>apps
Only install the bare minimum, use a web browser for the rest of your needs
>bloatware
Google Pixel, OnePlus, Motorola, Nokia
>malware
Common Sense 2018
>have to wait for months
Not with stock
>less than seamless exchange of files and data
True
I use personal FTP servers and X-plore though

(2/2)

Stuff you should install (you will find all of this on fdroid, you don't have to use the fdroid app just download it from the website):
>Yalp Store
This is your front end for PlayStore. It's much lighter and has the option to enable filters for apps with ads - this will ensure you avoid garbage apps.
>DNS66
blocks ads and malicious sites
>KDE Connect
Even if you don't have a Linux PC this will let you share files wirelessly between devices. And have a shared clipboard. But it's useless if you only have 1 device with it.
>Amaze file manager
Although it can be buggy sometimes, it has a very useful feature which lets you open your phone's storage over wifi (you can make a password) so it lets you transfer files to your PC or other phones wirelessly.
>NewPipe
watch youtube videos on this. it's much better than the official client and doesn't have ads. also lets you download videos or music. it doesn't have comments, but if you need comments then use SkyTube. They're almost identical in functionality. They also have local subscriptions so you don't need to log into a google account.

>calendar
You can do this with a criterium
>schedules
You can do this with a $30 phone
>notes
>todo lists
>games
You don't need it
>video/movies
I'm rather confident in you being a shill, as you claim to be watching movies without friends but on the other hand you claim to need Office and Excel
>email
Touché
>messaging
A pigeon can do this
>Office
What for?
>shitposting
You don't need this
>monitoring health and fitness
Implying it doesn't kill the whole "privacy" thing
>Photograph
Then you need a high-end phone anyway
>Music
A $30 phone can do this

FWIW, if you don't need third-party apps, you may get a BlackBerry. If anything, the phone call audio i/o is GOAT. Furthermore, Android listens to everything and processes it with you own electricity bill. As does the Facebook app.

Thank you, this is actually helpful.

>Amaze File manager
Great app, but I wish it had better handling of mounted storage. Every time I plug in a flash drive it has to go through the default filesystem to be able to browse properly. Same goes for my SD card; every now and then when I'm deleting files it gets unmounted with an error.

I'm glad I could help!

What device and android version are you on? I don't seem to have these issues. But, I used to get errors when deleting files or copying them sometimes. It's like it tries to copy a hidden file from a directory and fucks itself up. Out of 20 images it would somehow try to copy 21 files, so I assume it's some hidden ini/db that fails to get copied. Don't know if they fixed this.
Also, the file manager doesn't update the file list when you re-enter the app. I often find myself having to manually refresh the folder.
And finally, the app often crashes while using the internal app manager.
It's definitely buggy and far from perfect, but I can't switch to anything else since I adore it's GUI and features.

>>Android Apps aren’t as polished and stable as Apple apps.
semi-true. The Apple store is way more regulated creating a space where all apps are of a certain quality, although Android has tons more.

>>Android has tons of bloatware from the manufacturer and carrier that you can’t delete.
Not every android device has bloatware and iPhones also come with preinstalled apps deemed "core apps" by Apple which can't be removed.
Just buy a decent phone.

>>malware and having to a virus scanner.
Malwares/viruses/hacks aren't bound to a system.. every OS have them, it's just easier to get them on android due to the freedom you get with installing apps etc making retards more prone to the bad stuff.

>>You may have to wait months and months to get the latest Android update after it’s released.
Depends on your brand. "Google phones" like the pixel always get quick updates.

>>less than seamless exchange of files and data between devices.
Not much experience on iPhones in this case aside from them being complete retards on the DIY photo printing systems at work. Where android and windows phones show folders of pictures on the printing system, iPhones just toss every photo/picture (filmroll together with whatsapp/other apps and downloaded images) on your phone in one screen, making for an insane mess when you have to search a photo to print in a sea of photos cluttering a device.
So I doubt iOS is spotless on this front as well.