/gnu/ - GNU's Not Unix

Why can't we have a /gnu/ board?

I want a /gnu/ board :'(

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/archives/2012-nov-feb.html#04_January_2013_(Pedophilia)
Sup
hyperbola.info/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

please

No, Richard, it's /linux/, not /gnu/. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

It should be like arisuchan, where it has a technology board, programming, projects, and cyber boards

Because like GNU+Linux it wouldn't have any users.

I want a /UNIX/ board where we can discuss real UNIX OS's like MacOS, *BSD, Ilumos, AIX, Solaris, HP-UX...etc

kill yourself you toe gunk eating pedo

>everyone that disagrees with me is a pedo
Hello Mike Cernovich

stallman.org/archives/2012-nov-feb.html#04_January_2013_(Pedophilia)

>There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that willing participation in pedophilia hurts children.

Guys. Please make this happen

Sup Forums.org/feedback
Board suggestion

Im tired of all the mkg, spg,ptg generals and faggots hating on gnu/linyx

>calling for actual nuanced evidence in an era of extreme hysteria is the same as being a pedophile
Hello, Mike Cernovich

I guess coming on Sup Forums and complaining about pedos is a bit like walking into a bar during the day and complaining about drunks.
Enjoy hellfire, kiddyfucker.

>>>/8ch/

Sup Forums i͟s the GNU board. a.k.a. Stallman board.

Guys, while a lot of this might be complete autism, I personally think that in this day and age, calling it GNU/Linux actually has some real meaning. There is this little thing called Android, and it uses the Linux kernel, but the rest of the components are non-GNU. Some are even proprietary! However, I have seen normies make the dangerously misleading claim that "Android is Linux!" It technically is, as it uses the Linux Kernel, but it shares nothing else with GNU/Linux distros, particularly their respect for your freedoms.
Because of this, we should say GNU/Linux, so as not to confuse it with the botnet that is Android, or other such projects. By saying GNU/Linux, we make it clear that yes, we are using Linux, but we are also using Free Software.

Make one, then, faggot. I'll post screenshots and shit.

>a board sharing the latest gnu tech and memes

>Stallman is openly childfree. He has urged others to not have children, viewing it as objectionable for reasons centered on family tensions and overpopulation. He argues that not having children better liberates people to find more productive ways to "make a positive contribution to the world."
The more I read about him, the more I realize how much of a sperglord he is

He is clearly on the spectrum, he is just a pre-internet autist and it manifests different than autist who grew up with the internet.

>had a chance to meet RMS at a local university seven years ago
>Stayed home and posted about woodscrews on Sup Forums instead

I have made some mistakes.

He's correct, whether you like it or not, pedophila is a fetish, one that just so happens to occasionally end up seriously hurting children, people who should be punished to the full extent of the law, people who're considering doing so should seek help.

>software which provides and limits access to hw resources
that's the definition of kernel, you utter retard. Go back to school.

we dont need a gnu board, there is nothing wrong with the old board

there is too much shilling here, and worst, anti-gnu shilling

I think stallmans morality is stupid, but he's useful, so i like him.

whats a good gnu approved operating system? i want something that respects my freedoms like richard talks about.

Parabola, PureOS, and GuixSD are some nice choices.

Evangelists like yourself are the reason for which I want to distance myself from gahnoo software in general. Android IS Linux. End of story

""""""""""real"""""""""" UNIX OS's.
You don't even know the difference between UNIX and Unix so there's no point in telling you why that list of yours is wrong.

UNIX is what I say it is faggot.
Fuck standards! and fuck you.

Yesyesyes please this should happen. Sick of the Windows faggots polluting this board.

Stallman is retarded. There are a lot of distros that don't fall into his category becauas they give you the choice to install propietary software, but can be installed with only GLC software.

gnot gonna happen

i know of an imageboard with a /gnu/
i'm not going to risk ruining it by linking here though, sorry

what do you think the g in Sup Forums stands for?

Just use Debian and don't go through the trouble of adding the extra nonfree repos. Just because it's possible to do that they don't accept Debian. That really is it. It's not even on by default and they still complain.

even if we gave you retards your own board you would still shit up this one with cringy tech-politics and other autism
>implying /ux/ wouldn't be comatose on arrival
none of you faggots even own real Unix hardware, I'd be surprised if more than 15% of you vaporwave obsessed morons have even used a *BSD

then why did you post at all you fucking retard? nobody cares

just letting people know that there are nicer places out there
and rather than brooding over how bad this place has become they could go out and look for others or make new ones all their own

What about a rolling release version of debian without systemd? It would be good some the debian repos are big compared to other distros. I've gotten debian to work with openRC instead of systemd on stretch, but I tried to enable the rolling release repos and many things had systemd as a dependency.

>own real Unix hardware
I have a mac, faggot.
They stopped making risc based workstations in 2009 for a reason.

>You don't even own real Unix hardware
>Ay have ah mahc duuurrr
Kys faggot

>replying to pasta

>I hold on to relics to feel "l33t'
kys nostalgia fag.

You can start a Jew worshiping thread in Sup Forums if you want something that resembles a gnu section, phaggot

What's wrong with the the FSF discord?

The ONLY macintosh OS approved for the Single Unix Specification is OS X.5
>mai mahc is ooneex!! REEEE
This is you

Why? Why would you make such a stupid statement when the opengroup lists certified products?

UNIX 03 certified bitch.

Damn, I guess I was wrong, still UNIX != Unix
Also, it's a fucking certification. Means shit.

>I'm a real unix user! I have a mac!
>those operating systems are OLD!
lol so you're just a retard looking for an officially sanctioned safe space to shitpost about consumer tech without reeing wintoddlers? fuck off.

>waaa macOS is not certified UNIX!
proves him wrong
>waaa certified UNIX doesn't mean anything!!
How fucking retarded can you be?

Did you read my first post? No?
I wasn't complaining about not being UNIX, I was saying that it doesn't mean shit.
The base for macOS is in a kernel created specifically as not UNIX (XNU) which is the point of this thread (GNU is Not UNIX).
Meaning, that unless you have the literall code of the REAL UNIX from the 70's then no ammount of certification means shit.

This is my first post btw

>Meaning, that unless you have the literall code of the REAL UNIX from the 70's then no ammount of certification means shit.
na bro 1992 was over 15 years ago. You're retarded if you think you can define UNIX any way you want.

Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre hyperbola.info/

There is a discord?

Right, but it does not respect your freedom. It's barely even open source! If it is really a FOSS operating system, then point me to the source code for the Google Play Store. Point me to the source code for all the Google background services.
Oh wait, you can't! They haven't been released, which in my view disqualifies android as a Free operating system. Yes it uses Linux (the kernel), but is so far away from being Libre that I feel there should be a verbal distinction between it and the regular distros. GNU stands for Software Freedom as an icon, so it makes sense to use GNU/Linux when referring to the typical desktop/server distributions.

Why not just call it /nix/ to ecompass all Unix-like systems?

Na, generally Unix users and Linux users do not get along.

We don't need applefags, so no

Isn't Linux Unix-like?

of course.