/gnomegate/ - Gnome Hate Thread

How can old GNOME be more useful than GNOME 3?

Shit we got on GNOME so far:
blogs.gnome.org/tbernard/2018/01/26/csd-initiative/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/7tcudz/server_side_decorations_and_wayland/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY2Mjc
outreachy.org/
igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/gnome-global-menu-extension-discontinued
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/top-icons-plus-development-paused
omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/gnome-desktop-icons-removed-3-28
igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

Other urls found in this thread:

arcan-fe.com/2018/01/27/argumenting-client-side-decorations/
help.gnome.org/users/evince/stable/print-booklet.html.en
forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=35932#p35932
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790677#c6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just make the occasional Gnome hate thread again instead of this cringy shit.

This.

we don't need 5000 different reinventions of the wheel adding fragile and complex code to programs that shouldn't be responsible for it
we need the system to provide sane defaults for progs that don't need anything fancy w.r.t. window decorations
wayland fags are too gnome to be pragmatic, of course, saying "pull in a wayland-compatible (bloated) GUI toolkit or get bent"

Is this the new AdNauseam thread? Show me your stats Sup Forums.

No

>p-pls stop digging into Gnomegate
LMAO, Gnome shills at full damage control!

add this shit to the url list:
arcan-fe.com/2018/01/27/argumenting-client-side-decorations/

>Is this the new AdNauseam thread?
It's ad nauseaum, alright.

Install mate

I just want to shitpost with proper thumbnails.
Fucking Gnome

I just want something with the power, customization, and community cooperation of KDE, with the beauty and uncluttered simplicity of Gnome.

Try bash, the best DE ever.

>t. GNOME buttmad fan
How come you know what or who Bash is?

/gnoamghazi/

Why not just use XFCE? Is it too barebones for you animated toolbarfags? I haven't heard them do a single thing wrong all decade.

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

heh
xfce is great. /gnomegate/ is less about arguing that Gnome is shit and more about pointing out the fact that Gnome needs to stop forcing its own shit down everyone's throat.

Let's print a booklet!

help.gnome.org/users/evince/stable/print-booklet.html.en

My only gripe with gnome that they "maintain" gtk.

could someone tell me why a de reserves at least haft a gig of ram (usually more) just to work? fucking 3d games don't need that much

Oh, there is something seriously wrong with XFCE. It is my favorite desktop, it's what I use an what I prefer. I think it's pretty close to perfect.

But XFCE is written using GTK and XFCE 4.13 will use GTK 3.20. And that means it'll probably get worse, much worse - not better - over time due to the simple fact that GTK is controlled by the GNOME people.

I'd really like something very similar to XFCE written with Qt or some other toolkit. GTK is now just a library for GNOME and they seem hell-bent on making sure it can't be used with anything but GNOME. The way they break things between even minor versions now will cause big problems for things like XFCE.

>I'd really like something very similar to XFCE written with Qt or some other toolkit.
It seems like you know what you want user, so maybe you should make it.

>we don't need
>we need
Sup Forums must be great for you, because no one would ever ask you in real life what 'we' need.

>maintain
More like hold hostage

forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=35932#p35932

>They're probably not good reasons, but my reasons are that all of the applications that I have installed that use one of the toolkits appear to use GTKsomething (I think the developers are currently calling it GTK+, but putting a plus in its name seems like putting "Deluxe" in one of Hitler's Jewish concentration camps, lol, only in slightly worse taste), since they're both apparently installed on my system.

Kek, this is the most based rant I've read in so long.

LXQt

>no one would ever ask you in real life what 'we' need
definitely not gnomefags, dem cunts be allergic to feedback
sorry, should be more specific: allergic to feedback that doesn't praise every moronic decision of theirs

Using GNOME3 works well for me

I actually prefer CSD to SSD. If you want to change the look and feel, you can do it through the theming already built into gtk or qt. Properly made CSD apps will still respect the user set button order.

Interesting how KDEbois always say they have a better solution to everything (like DWD), but even their mockups look like shit and don't have good visual design. Gnome is currently the best looking Linux DE that isn't locked down to a single distro.

The bad thing is they simplyfy the base apps a bit too much and break API all the time, but some features just cannot be replaced with Wayland being as shit as it is.

>me

me me me me and only me.

You choose the correct DE.

>trollish and inmature

Prolly a KDE user.

Ahahahahahahahaha

I just went back to Ubuntu with Gnome.
Tried different distros with KDE and xfce but I like gnome the most.

Games load what is needed to play; DEs load what you need to work and also what you might need, so it's responsive.

We just live in the age where 512 megs are nothing.

Imaging having no CSD at all

No he's describing the attitude that is the subject of this thread. Gnome devs and users are selfish twats who don't care how their shitty DE is forcefully plaguging ALL users and devs.

Man, i already installed Fedora 27 with Wayland enabled and a i have zero screen tearing. This is gorgeous, but, gnome is a shit ugly tablet DE.

I want to use Plasma and not trashnome. Why these fucking KDE devs don't implement egl-wayland on Kwin?

For fuck's sake!

KDE users are even worse,juvenile, inmature, trollish, the worseof the Linux world

fuck man gnome looked good what happened

desu every desktop looks like shit out of the box

shit. meant for

Yeah I still want to have a handlebar so I can manipulate with the window without having to reach for the keyboard. The constant need to use a keyboard is one of the reasons why I don't like tiling managers.

Why SSD doesn't work for you?

you mean they only look good out of the box
every theme i've tried for kde is half assed and sometimes even missing icons

KDE got some themes broken in the last version IMO

use a window manager like i3 or bspwm if you are memory constrained. 260 MB of 3,78 GB on i3wm.

This is why I switched to gnome. The themes available actually feel complete

no files on the desktop ever

big deal

gnome is in no way a tablet de the applications grid does not make it one

you must have a lot of bg tasks
i'm on westom myself

ohai GNOME Internet Defense Force

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790677#c6
footfags are disabling customization of transient scrollbars in GTK4

Because good developers hung themslevs when they saw new commits.

>disable scrollbars
What the actual fuck
I don't like how they became pieces of shit, and now this?

wait, people still use gnome?
didn't they give up after 2.32?

cinnameme uses 170mb on my 1gb memory machine.
your tiling "minimal" desktop sure sounds like bloat to me.

This is what GNOME devs dream about.

Unity did it better

funny how I can get that exact setup on xfce

>wait, people still use gnome?
No but the devs are trying to spread their cancer towards other DEs.

You also posted in the soy meme thread

That's what GNOME devs use on a daily basis, they all use macs and no, they don't run their own DE.

stalker