How do I check how much damage I did to my cpu when i booted it into bios without a cooler attached

How do I check how much damage I did to my cpu when i booted it into bios without a cooler attached

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1W4fK_fRdxk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

50%

Shouldn't be much if any at all if you just checked for posting or accidentally opened the bios. A CPU will throttle or even downright shut itself down if the temperature gets too hot. Some even refuse to boot at all without a CPU fan attached.

How do I run that benchmark sir

Prime95 tells you if you'e miscalculated something.

I had old one attached to boot up but it was not fitted properly so don't think it got any cooling at all. Bios said it got up to 89 degree Celsius (192F) and that's when I shut it down

My amd lives at 89 degrees, it's pretty much ok.

Put the cooler on and try again. If its dead, you'll know.

Getting this today before I try again lolz

Th brah good news

That looks like a ton of weight for the cpu mount, and mobo in general.

If it was under a minute, it should be fine, the heatspreader metal can absorb some heat
maybe more time is fine but no idea but it probably depends on whether throttling/power saving features are active and your voltage (OC/OV might be a big problem)

youtube.com/watch?v=1W4fK_fRdxk

If damage occured, it's probably more like bump damage/cracks and such stuff, not improper function of the actua integrated circuit inside the silicon.

It is probably impossible to tell. If you want to be careful, don't press OC as much as possible from now on, keep it more conservative with low voltage increases.

>weight on mobo
Noctua called and wants your money

yep thats why coolers like that come with backplates so the pressure is distributed across a wide surface area plus motherboards are fairly durable.

They aren't nearly as heavy as some of the god awful deepcool coolers. Or even the dragon orb coolers of the early 00's

lol the dragon orb

Back when dick size was measured by how many lbs of copper you had hanging off the motherboard.

>he thinks that's big and heavy
bro, you don't know big.

My mobo from 2011 spits out a CPU FAN error. If yours doesn't and boots up normally, pc would shut itself down in seconds due to reaching 100c. You have nothing to worry about if you have a cpu from the last decade.

A broken CPU can still even work, but you can damage your performance, specially with CPUs that throttle.

I used my 4770k for a week with no cooler on it at like 200-300MHz. It’s still fine so your CPU should be too.

Open up the little metal cap and check if all the circuitry is still intact. Some damage, like on the reverse bus lanes, is not bad but if your main branch predictor is damaged. Damn, you might as well throw it out and get a new one.

It'll be fine. The CPU will force a shut down if it goes over 100-105 C (depending on the manufacturer). CPU's are more resilient than one might think.

My CPU fan died while it was under load and it was at 99C for at least a half hour. Am I lucky it still works?

Modern CPU have thermal shutdown to prevent damage at around 100C
I doubt you could even hit that temp in bios because processor isn't doing anything and is still passively radiating off the heat sink.

Be really careful though, place a flat-head screwdriver right on the bottom side of the CPU and CAREFULLY wiggle it until a small opening forms. If that doesn't work place the screwdriver on the same spot, and gently tap it with a small hammer, the metal cap will fly off after a couple of taps if you did it correctly.

There is really no other way to be sure you did no damage to the processor. Fault checking using Prime 95 can turn up false positives and sometimes it even can't detect faults at all.