Blonde learning to code assembler

Hi. Learning to code assembler 8086 as my first programming language. I want to rip my hair off. I do and don't understand basic things. Did Sup Forums ever try it? How long did it take for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Computer-Systems-Programmers-Perspective-3rd/dp/013409266X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517837349&sr=8-1&keywords=systems ohallaron
cs.cmu.edu/~fp/courses/15122-f15/index.html
cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmxT2pVYo5LB5EzTPZGfFN0c2GDiSXgQe.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Of all the languages you could learn first you chose assembler.

I just felt drawn to it, it interests me. Is it bad? Is it too hard as a first language?

it's not hard perse
it's just sub-optimal to learn programming via asm
but if you get through it everything above will get progressively easier

Thank you. :)

You should just download Art of Assembly. Pretty great and in depth book. And, basically, just google whatever you don't know or use the /sqt/

>I do and don't understand basic things.
That's how you learn things the fact that you are actually trying to learn it is commendable assuming you don't just give up midways

Are you a girl (male)?

I found it, it has a loooooot of pages? Is that right?

True but starting to feel desperate.
For example what I cant understand mov ax, @data. Where is the data stored? I write a simple program to print on screen with int 21 and write the mov command. How does it know the msg is data? I dont find it anywhere explained.
yes, I am a girl, feel blond and always felt silly at maths. I know it sounds like complaining, I just... Idk desu, still keeping hope to learn assembler

Do you wear programming socks?

It has a lot of pages Yes. You are attempting something nontrivial AND want to learn it the right way, right?
So a lot of pages should be expected.
All the other questions in your post may be answered by working through a good book or searching online and trying to find out by yourself.
Working through an entire book is slow but may almost guarantee you will learn it correctly. Searching/trial and error MAY be a bit faster, but requires more dedication and may give you information that makes some things it look more difficult or take longer. A combination of both works.

I heard that true programmers keep themselves warm with coffee

Then I should dedicate my life for it, if its what it takes. Determined to find that cheese!

Only hipsters do that. Get yourself a nice pair of socks. Even Linus wears them while merging changes to the kernel

show bobs

:) smooth. Nobody would wanna be a hipster!

Learning assembly is useful, but it is siginificantly more useful when learned in context.
amazon.com/Computer-Systems-Programmers-Perspective-3rd/dp/013409266X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517837349&sr=8-1&keywords=systems ohallaron

There are a few universities that publish there low level course materials online. Among them, I find CMU's (15122, 15213) to be the strongest.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet. You should get familiar with a debugging tool - gdb is a good start.

there is literally nothing to learn, you look at the instruction set and combine them to accomplish whatever you want. It's like you have problem with reading

I need a little research to understand what you just said. I am sorry to dissapoint. Will find that cmu thingie.

You mean debugging overall? Emu has step by step, is that it? Sorry if its silly questions

stop helping until we get tits you fucking newfags

How about you stop being a fucking creep. OP, on behalf of all these weirdos, I apologize

Shut up, virgin fag. Women won't sleep with you because you're nice to them.

this isn't reddit fucktards

Women don't like asshole creeps like you. You're the reason why we never see women in STEM fields.
Please never use the internet ever again

That's okay, I stopped giving a shit 5 internets ago.
Sorry, since I don't want to see your tits, don't see why I should show mine.
But if you are in a huge hurry of seeing tits, I suggest to Bing it.

Post feet in socks

>For example what I cant understand mov ax, @data. Where is the data stored? I write a simple program to print on screen with int 21 and write the mov command. How does it know the msg is data? I dont find it anywhere explained.

The data is stored in the RAM. Every instruction has a machine code associated with it. In this case, the data is stored with the MOV instruction in the RAM

>cmu thingies
cs.cmu.edu/~fp/courses/15122-f15/index.html
cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html

gdb allows you to step through code, but that is just one of many of its facilities.

>whiteknight spotted

Op you shouldve just asked the question. You just had to pepper it with gender. Fucking retard.

At least I'm not a /r/the_donald and /r/incel poster like you

Just remember to use NASM as your assembler and never touch AT&T syntax.

Thank you, it helps to understand it better. Need better understading on those things.

Thank you! I am really watching and looking to anything I can grab on, feel like a monster who keeps looking for more information

I will look it up, what that means.

I "played" the gender card, cuz I feel like I should inform the people who are replying that I am not some cool man who will understand anything thats being said, but instead require a bit extra info.

Also one post less where males are saved from being stupid.:)

I like this thread.

I like you

Idk why everyone is being nice and helpful. Maybe it's ironic; regardless, x86 ASM is not what you should learn first. I was in your positition a few months ago, struggling really hard. You should learn C first, and how it works; particularly how it uses memory. You'll learn about the stack, how it passing arguments, stores variables and all that good bullshit. I recommend Hacking: the art of exploitation. It has a good, hands on introduction to C. After your down with that, check this youtube playlist on asm: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmxT2pVYo5LB5EzTPZGfFN0c2GDiSXgQe. You won't be expert, but you'll really start to understand what your computer is doing when you execute programs. It will even help you if you want to use python or whatever down the road.

if your trying to prove yourself don't bother, this kind of thing is like becoming a monk/wizard, prepare to cast away sex and a large social life in order to master the magic of ordering your computer to do things as verbosely as possible

Learn python.

Idk why they are nice. We are all only human. Thank you, will watch it asap!

Start with the chemistry of the silicon.
Learn about atoms that have 4 electrons, 5 electrons and 3 electrons in their highest electron orbit.
Then learn about conductors, insulators and semiconductors.
Then learn about PN semiconductor diode
Than about PNP and NPN semiconductor transistor
Than learn about the usage of transistors as a switch or an amplifier.
Than learn about flip flops.
Than about adders.
Than about registers.
Than you will understand the arithmetic logic unit, maybe.
After that its all easy as fuck...

So, you cant google cause vagina? Good to know

This
If you're going to be a retard learning the "fundamentals" first, at least do it right

How about you neckbeards stop ragging on poor OP

>Did Sup Forums ever try it? How long did it take for you?
Got one semester of 8080 and 8086. So 12 weeks. After the first five hours of "what the fuck" it started to make sense.

how bout poor op stop baiting
sega

Well, as a male, i guess ill agree with you.

THANK YOU!!!

White knight alert. Op is probably larping.

this is a bluechan, newfag

>assembler
It's not hard. You just need to know a couple things and it's a larger overhead in programming compared to most languages. So you don't keep the same expectations for what you can accomplish.
Asm doesn't really teach you about programming that much though. It teaches you about your architecture but not how to structure code for medium-large projects to be manageable.

Okay so I will hit myself in the head and ask god himself.
I googled things but the explanations are pure cosmo. Are you the electrons guy boyfriend? You make a cute couple.
Haha atleast you got the hang of it! Gives me hope, thank you! Tho it was a self learning course for us, I failed the exam but determined to learn and pass. Maybe even make a game! Whats the coolest project you made, user?

And to all ragging males: I am really sorry you met bad females through your life. I hope you can get over it. You learn that and I will learn assembly, will take around the same ;)

I feel like i have theory but I dont know how to use it in practise. I cant imagine making full user interface or maybe I am just not as good in googling. Got suggested a few good books in here, csm, a playlist. Whats your opinion on those, user? Sorry, cant link, typing through phone

Programming socks are gay! Just like traps!
Sup Forums is so gay... I bet OP is gay too.
I did learned 8086 in university. If I remember correctly it's well documented. You should be able to find your answers using search engine.

That took you a whole 3 minutes to type. Do you also tell your professors you are impaired when you take their classes or ask for their help? Tell em you got a nice, tight pussy so they take pity on you?

Had 3 lessons with professor over the video conference. Didnt think he would care about my pussy( since normal people dont) and just kinda decided not to show it. Thanks for the compliment tho, fuck you too :D

I forgot to mention counters and Bools algebra.
And if you think I am joking, you are thinking wrong.

>Tho it was a self learning course for us
For us as well, the instructor was there to just answer questions you might have and of course check how you did your assignments.
>Whats the coolest project you made, user?
Nothing worth talking about, I didn't touch it since then. It was 12 weeks of ASM in parallel with 4 other subjects, there wasn't really time to fool around.

You are not going to make anything worth talking about in ASM itself. If you want to have something working with graphics, use at least C/C++. That's complex enough but actually achievable. Believe me, your newbie ASM will not be better than what C/C++ interpreter will spit out.

>I'm sorry you met bad females in your life
>Makes thread, has a need to tell everyone her gender
What purpose it has rather than attention?

So you only tell total strangers over the internet on an anonymous board, got it.

Want me to give you a like? A share? Donate to your patreon please?

>I can't imagine making a full user interface
Well this is exactly what I'm saying. Asm isn't used for this. You absolutely can. But it's a waste. High level languages like C or almost anything else does a lot better at this. Because there you can get a library to do much of this for you. And in the case of gui on modern OSes the use of your OS api is the only way to get graphics on screen.
If you want to continue with asm into that realm I can't help you. I don't know of any resources that'd help you with that. There's a reason pic related is a joke. You don't mix asm with high level goals like that. Modern uses of asm is all in specialized portions. Usually it's not even written, just observed to adjust the higher level code that produced the bad assembly until you get good assembly. A lot to explain there but I don't think it's reasonable to expect to be able to do what you're asking as a new programmer.
I really advise you to try a higher level language. But if you wish to continue with asm I don't know of any resources. Ignoring searching for them I'd probably write a small program that does OS gui drawing, disassemble it and try to move some of that over to my assembly program.
But again, that doesn't teach you anything about actually making larger projects manageable.

>chemistry of silicon
Surely the physics are what's interesting.

Wouldn't I be posting my pictures for attention? I get enough attention irl, not starved. Tho could use constructive advice on how to solve this puzzle and getting quite nice one.

This thread reminded me of a coworker (Ruby, Java programmer) who tried to write some stuff in both C and Assembly as a challenge. He asked me:
>where is the string type in C?
and later
>what do you mean i have to write down all the letters I want to use to write a message in assembly?

The concept of a computer not understanding what a letter was was completely alien to him.

Who the fuck calls it assembler

This confusion is still everywhere. I teach a class on programming concepts, and usually I explain ASM like this:
- Assembly is where you assemble the stuff - the language
- Assembler is what you use to assemble it with

You should see their faces when I tell them that we call it "Assembler" because there's no "Assembly compiler", just an "Assembler" (and a linker, of course).

ITT: user larping as Karlie Kloss

Idiots, who like pretending they know what they're talking about

You're missing user's point. Learning assembly without learning a higher langauge, like C, is pointless and a waste of time. You won't understand anything or get anything useful out of it.

>use then twice
>the rest use than
why

Thanks for the realistic point of view, maybe I wont be writing my university ending work on that then xd...
Haha your message was funny :).
wish that my teacher explained it like you! such presentation is good for more "artsy" minds.

Well I'm not an expert on the boundary here but I'm thinking of chemistry as about the electrons and their bonds and the high level effects achieved by their structure. Where physics is the broader concepts concerning elementary particles like the electron. So in this case the way they exchange the electrons to produce semiconductors.
But of course I'm not a physicist or a chemist.

Thank you all for amazing advices(and boob requests... well they were kinda meh, 2018, you should really get some new jokes) and I will go check out all of your suggestions and try to learn. Thank you for all the nice and well behaved boys/girls/doggos/catzos and apache helicopters. Will check out this thread from time to time, if someone maybe left MOAAARRRR information on how to become a non hipster ASM programmer. Thanks guys!

pic related, my cat sends you all regards

I like this thread :3
OP, have you tried playing with the DOS debug program yet? I think on modern systems you'll have to use DOSBox. It mimics the in ROM memory monitors from early computers. Great way to faff about with assembly without having the additional mental overhead of learning an assembler first. You can see your instructions in memory and step through them one at a time. I'm sure there are other more modern programs that replicate this behavior.

>user liked this post

Are you saying women are dumber than men?

Didn't stop us from getting tits a month or two ago. Sorry you missed out, they were nice.

I think if the course makes the connection from assembler to C, it can work. My microcontroller class did that. We did first half in assembly, and then the rest in C. The textbook would show how the earlier assembly we wrote translated to C code.