/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for GNU/Linux.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery
- Smaller attack surface

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux .org

>Void Linux
voidlinux .eu

>GNU GuixSD
gnu .org/software/guix/

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo .org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo .org/downloads/

>Slackware
slackware .com/getslack/

>CRUX Linux
crux .nu/
crux .nu/Main/Handbook3-3

>Debian (netinst. only use if not using systemd scares you.)
debian .org/CD/netinst/
debian .org/releases/
wiki.debian .org/SourcesList
wiki.debian .org/ReduceDebian
debian .org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get

>Useful links
suckless .org/rocks
harmful.cat-v .org/software/
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_speed_control
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When is CloverOS going to be on the list?

Guys I love debian.

>fidget spinners
yeah our thread's better.
We already have Gentoo on there
Cool! ^.^

Reposting WM ram comparison

God damn it why does gentoo take so god damn long to install I want to use it but I have no fucking time. I love the optimization you can get out of it but on my shitty African internet it takes way too much time I'm on my third day.

Dude, it's a source-based distribution. Those tend to take a while.

Reposting Minimalism Rant

The thing for me when it come to this is that I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of bloat in popular applications and environments.

Let's take the picture viewer as an example. What does it do? That's right! It views pictures! We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?

I've heard this a lot, the whole "lel just get a newer computer grandpa!"
I'd like to let you know that I use minimal setups both on a 2012 Fagbook Pro, and a Xeon workstation being used as a desktop. Both of these have 16+ GB of memory.
What you have to understand is that just because we have the resources, doesn't mean it's right to use them to the limit. Why should we artificially use more resources for the same tasks just because we have the capability to do it. That's retarded. At that point we should just rewrite the kernel in electron because clearly anyone who has a problem with that just needs to download more wam.

Another key component for me is that achieving a high level of minimalism often involves switching to a vey terminal-heavy lifestyle. This is good as it provides a universal interface. The interface used to shitpost, consume content, and whatnot, is the same interface that would be used when administering a server, when configuring my NAS, when working with Amazon EC2 installations, etc.

Why do you hate keeping things simple? Why do you want things to use more resources than they have to to complete their function?

TL;DR: /minimalism/ is a very logical way of doing things, and provides a universal interface.

>CRUX
>Slackware
Finally.

yeah non-faggy OP wasn't gonna do it so I did it.

So far, the consensus seems to be that termite is the best wayland term. Anyone have other suggestions/recommendations?

Didnt wayland depend on systemd?

No, that's FUD.

Weston, the implementation of Wayland, depends on libsystemd.

But not KDE or Sway.

Termite is one of the best Xorg terminal emulators too. I highly recommend it.
On wayland I don't really know. I have to wait for good nvidia drivers first.

Does someone has a statusbar recommendation? I'm using i3status and I heard someones prefer polybar. How it is?

Polybar I hear has a lot more configuration stuff you can do with it. It's also good if you end up using something like bspwm, which doesn't come with a bar. Poly is also I think the lightest one that still has a systray. The most /minimal/ bar I think is called lemonbar. That one requires expert shell scripting knowledge though (it literally just prints whatever you pipe into it), and doesn't come with a tray.

I'll give it a go on Xorg. Might as well get used to it since i'll be using Sway in future.

>That eye
Is that botnet-chan? ouo

I dunno but shes cute!
also what wm do u use?

Reminder if you're not using suckless you're not using true minimalism

this is their idea of an irc client

dwm
n-no bully pls

Its ok!
I use it too. UwU

That looks like a super comfy programming interface desu~oniifam.

kys dumb animetards

Be nice to her

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU ANIME IS GAY

>her
im not a girl!

Are there any good minimalist display servers? Is tinyx a good alternative to regular xorg?

Wayland.

How minimalist is wayland? I've gone through the suckless mailing list and they don't really like it much.

S-sorry...

It's pretty damn minimalist. I think suckless doesn't like it because if you want to have a lot of features, they have to be implemented by the compositor devs, rather than being a part of Wayland itself. In other words, part of the work load has shifted from the protocol devs to the people developing the DEs/WMs. It's a different system altogether from X.
its ok.

I hope suckless can port dwm to wayland or make a new compositor themselves

Only if you're OK with one monitor and no GPU accelerated anything. Xorg is actually pretty lean for everything it does.

Wayland is for assholes who want a fridge with an app store.

Yes, because IoT fridges will totally have tiling window managers...
You do realize Wayland is a protocol right?

I finally got Gentoo installed and running smoothly with KDE, got most of the software I want installed, but I have yet to move all my stuff over from my backups. Something deep in the back of my mind still feels like if I sneeze too hard I will break everything catastrophically. I don't feel confident this is a distro I can maintain with my sanity intact, but it works so smooth and fast. I worked so hard for this, user, please convince me not to switch back.

Wayland is a project run by assholes who plan to make money selling IoT devices.

Wayland is a protocol you baka

this

>We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?
I always get extremely suspicious if some program still has the same functionality as other programs but consumes way more ram. Do useless libraries, shiny gui's really would make an application 10 times heavier? The high cpu and ram usage is most likely used to spy on the user and steal his personal data.

I don't wanna discourage you, but I'm using it as my main os for a month and compile errors are more common than I thought.
Some packages are kinda old. Pandoc, for example, is still on 1.19.2.1 when 2.0.0.1 is the last one; it's last update was more than an year ago.
Java 9 (and Oracle Java in general) is pretty much unsupported. You can install it but you better not use it as your default version. I'm running with 2 versions of Java to avoid problems (and two versions of GCC too, because 7.x is considered unstable).

At the moment, I have compile errors when I try to rebuild GCC or update Rust.
It's a great distro so far and I have no intention to switch to something else, but I agree it's not for everyone.

Calm down Howard. Nobody wants your bleachy smelling "vital essence".

Speaking of minimal how do I minimize this goddamn HDD activity, I hear constant noise due to I/O by kworker and jbd2, this is going to kill my fucking drive how do I stop it the googles they do nothing

Either you're right and they're spying on us, or it's because they're using javascript and other (((webapp))) technologies in their GUIs.
Either way, stay /minimal/!

Just stop creating these cancerous threads already.

is PS/2 more minimal?

N-No!

The B in USB is for Bloat

>13 replies
>51 posts
yeah fuck this gay shit im done. My general got hijacked and the op is fucked up. i don't give a shit anymore.

>My general got hijacked and the op is fucked up
Leave faggy op alone!
I kinda use these generals just because op is a funny boy.

FUCK YOU BITCH. FUCK YOU. FUCK HIM
EVERYONR GO HERE

What makes it bloat though? Serious question by the way. Not just memeing.
aww don't be sad, daddy!
thank you.

I AGREE

Go here

>What makes it bloat though? Serious question by the way. Not just memeing.
Polling vs. interrupts. USB needs more CPU time to achieve the same latency, and USB HID is staggeringly complex even if you only support the simplest keyboard / mouse setup possible.

When did people start using my beach thinkpad picture?

minimal picture viewers cant show the next image in a folder without manually opening it in a new window. the more bloated ones let you scroll with a mouse or press arrow keys on keyboard.

you can configure it so that the latest available version from git is used instead of old versions in the gentoo repo.

It's not worth it. If it is on the gentoo repo you're kinda supposed to use that version, it's their fault if it's not updated.
I'd use overlays only if it's really necessary.

i want to fug that loli

Does anyone know how to 'rice' GNUscreen or tmux? They are both pretty ugly ans I was wondering if there is any significant reason to use one over the other.

Is LXDE (Lubuntu) minimalist?

GNU Screen yes, Ctrl-a + ? is the cheatsheet, for a manual get info screen. My .screenrc is
# don't display copyright page
startup_message off

# turn off tab-completion flash in heading bar
vbell off

# enable 256 color term on X
term screen-256color

# prevents less, vi, etc. from clobbering the screen contents and leaving their gunk behind after exiting
altscreen on

# keep 1000 scrollback lines
defscrollback 1000
Currently learning about binding keys to autostart stuff. GNU Screen is pretty neato, there is a modified version that can run sixels I've got my eyes on.

Almost but not yet, is like a first step but you need to go deeper.

The new version is called LXQt. It has low ram usage but to be honest I'd suggest you to be "less minimal" and go with XFCE instead.

ok thanks. I was probably going to go for PS/2 anyway, but I wanted to see how that applied to minimalism.
Literally just sxiv folder/*
OwO

Like the other user said, it's close. I'd recommend it to a newbie who's not ready to fall for the window manager meme.

also, I'd recommend learning how to not use a display manager, and just launch your GUI from the TTY using startx.

just wanted to let you know I appreciate your version of the minimalism general

I am running arch linux but video overheats the pc. On another drive I have linux mint that survives the same videos. What can I do to keep the cpu cooler on a bare arch?

Go fucking here. This op doesn't add arch

Faggy op is best op

Thanks.
Even though Arch as a distribution is not minimal enough for the OP, i'll still be a kind user and link you to an article on fan speed settings. I dunno if that's your issue (i've never had issues with my fans), but maybe it will help.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_speed_control

aww thank u

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_speed_control
Thanks, user. You,re the cats.

>You,re the cats.
idk what this means but you're welcome! ^_^

Means you're the bees's knees, user.

I too support this version of the OP. Wish it had more cute slavs though.

>I too support this version of the OP.
Does anyone have an idea of when Devuan will get their shit together and be on the same release as Debian? If that happens, I may replace Debian at some point.

>on my shitty african internet
gentoo is the friendliest OS when it comes to data consumption, thanks to its revolutionary Emerge Package Distribution Manager. What seems to be the problem?

maybe he's getting the download and compile times confused?

>3D
I see the problem now, user... that's one too many dimensions for a minimalism thread eye-catcher! Also arch is in the sticky! what??
>MY general (emphasis mine)
lol, nice trips though
I do this on my home computer but when I SSH into it all the windows get hidden because a new X session is launched. Of course there's a good and easy solution for that:
if [[ !(-v SSH_TTY) ]]; then
startx
fi

what distro would satorin use?

Waiting for that too. To be fair it works just fine now.

>I do this on my home computer but when I SSH into it all the windows get hidden because a new X session is launched.
wait, so are you saying your running X session dies when you ssh into your machine? How does that happen?

Might include it with links explaining how to switch to a newer branch.

The X session does not die. If I quit the ssh session the windows that were hidden come back, and the programs initialized by my window manager's startup script come back with varying degrees of success. A new X session is launched which takes precedence over the one that was already running, that's all. Anyways, that isn't a problem now because I added the above snippet to my .bash_profile. Just giving some tips in advance.

oh wait, is this all because you have it set to run startx automatically after a TTY login?

Yes. Is there a better way to do this?

nah, it sounds like you got it. I personally didn't think to set that kinda thing up and literally just type startx after login.

Just try this:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login

>Literally just sxiv folder/*
do that from a gui file manager

is there a big difference between startx and xinit?

you can configure custom commands there too.

that still will not load all images in a directory automatically if i click just one image

so how do you install slackware onto a PC laptop that you've already wiped? I can't fit the 6 cds onto my 16gb flash drive and I don't know what to do with the torrent files.
I just want an ISO so I can use Rufus to boot it as my new primary OS.

236 MiB RAM usage on boot without a browser running