/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g [Open]
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050 Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080 Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080 Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/8Mrybj
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cdpxZ8
pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze
pcpartpicker.com/list/JYkv8K
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mkj4KZ
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bzq6nn
pcpartpicker.com/list/HQXmf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/mwV329
amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2W09Q6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/BpBD4q
pcpartpicker.com/product/N27CmG/gskill-memory-f43000c15d16grbb
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=BrG4D3
pcpartpicker.com/list/kwBMf8
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR#
massdrop.com/buy/lg-27-4k-uhd-ips-led-monitor-27ud58-b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh literally in time for new thread. Just got my build I bought over deployment. It's about 3500$ but 2400$ taking away aesthetics/monitor.

>just add soy

Should I upgrade my Z68 setup to a Coffee Lake setup now or is there someone worth waiting for in the near future? Don't suggest AMD, as they don't have the serial performance I'm after.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8Mrybj

Bought a custom backplate because the 1080ti I bought doesn't come with one.

Bought 1800X but really should have just got the 1700.

After refining my build from the last thread I've settled at this new part list

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cdpxZ8

And then keeping my GTX1080 and 32" 4k monitor, and PSU from my current rig.

Mostly for gaming and HTPC, any feedback/opinions?

Dumb pig poster.

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

>16gbs of ram
Is this needed for games? (assuming closing most other programs)

X499 mobos when? I'm kind of disappointed with how finicky my Zenith Extreme is.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me outn. I'm looking for a workspace/gaming pc (primarily gaming) up to 1400 dollarino's. I have the peripherals so it's all about the pc. Workspace related it'd be for photoshop/illustrator/indesign and some coding software lile phpstorm. I'm a total newb when it comes to actually building pc's since i don't know which parts fit which. I've looked around pcpartpicker but I'm not sure that getting a random pc built by a random person is the best thing to do.

If anyone has any free time or recommendations/tips I'd certainly appreciate it.

WIndows uses 3-4gb alone because botnet, other programs would use a few gb all together, depending on the game you use 1-4gb even sometimes 6gb. 16gb is recommended but you can get away with 8gb

This is probably dumb, but this does come with the necessary cables right? It's not just the PSU itself?
pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze

Yeah it will. They crop out the cables because it'll be an ugly spaghetti mess (you'll see the wire colours, etc).

Looking for a chromebook for some light computing -- web browsing, videos, google docs, email etc.

What kind of specs should I be looking for on these? Is 4 GB RAM a good amount?

Anyone know of any good ones that aren't too expensive? A good keyboard/mousepad would be nice.

Thanks user.

For funsies, what's the oldest yet still serviceable retro gaming rig I can build?

Have graphic cards gone down in price yet? Should I wait for them to drop still? I'm not sure how much they were some time ago, I just know they are/were overpriced.

Here you go user, you could go for a mx300 1.1tb m.2 instead but it will be slower than a 960
pcpartpicker.com/list/JYkv8K

Can anyone recommend a decent budget monitor?
New pc is running an Ryzen 1700x and RX 580, so I think I could do 144Hz, but almost all of the 144Hz monitors in the ~$250 range seem to have seriously terrible TN panels, so I'm leaning towards a decent IPS, can anyone suggest anything?

TN panels are fast. It's why most gaming monitors use them. IPS is nicer, but also more limited, hence why high hz IPS monitors are expensive.

can someone post a good case with lots of drive bays

the ethoo looks ugly as shit, and i really really fucking love how this case looks but no drive bays so its a no

any case that looks like this with more than 2 drive bays?

Current build:
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mkj4KZ

Proposed upgrades:
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bzq6nn

tl;dr
Bought an i7-5820K on the cheap, didn't realise I need new CPU cooler.
So Now I'm thinking a proper refresh.
Anything else needs changing?

Photoshop is pretty single-threaded, so this is a case where 8700k might be a good idea.

Consider this for $100 more, try to spend the extra $34 to keep the focus plus gold 650w just to be safe
pcpartpicker.com/list/HQXmf8

None I can think of from the last 2yrs at least. You might have to buy a use corsair 750d or something.

Does anyone here know about networking issues on a new build or should I ask in /sqt/?

What are some good, quiet 120mm fans to put on my threadripper's AIO? The stock Enermax fans get pretty loud under load.

For the ryzen apus that will be released soon, can they be dropped into currenr mobos with no problem or does one have to update the mobo bios for proper functionality?

yes they work in AM4 but you will most likely need a bios update.

Is there any new motherboards with Thunderbolt?

Nvm I'm dumb, same shit as USB-C right?

I don't know why girls insist on using those ugly calvin klein underwear, even if they are models. That stuff is something I would expect to see on my briefs, not on some girl.

bigot

Got recommended Thermaltake Suppressor F51 in another thread
see

Is there any point to using Ryzen instead of FX if you're on a budget? As far as I can tell, it's still good enough for almost everything, and most importantly, I won't have to spend extra money for the DDR4 meme.
>inb4 muh futureproofing

FX is crap, You're better off buying a used office desktop and stick a 1050ti in it if you're on a tight budget.

Not really. DDR5 is reportedly coming 2019-2020 anyway.

Sell my 8GB rx 580 and hold out for a 1070/1080 ti restock or just use it? I'm gaming at 144hz 1080p and money isn't an issue.

If money isn't an issue just buy one of those $1500 1080TIs

just use it.

yo anons have you heard of this RAM before (pic)? its selling for cheap on my local tech store but i cant seem to find reviews online about it

adata ram is fine.

Of course there is user, a ryzen 1200 build can be pretty cheap

alright thanks user, im pulling the trigger then

For day-to-day?
You could - or you could just buy any Core i5 machine from the last decade and it'll be faster.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mwV329

How did I do? Also for the gpu, I was able to preorder one from amazon, but its one of those mini ones with a single fan. Am I screwing myself over by buying it?

How much did you pay in total, because I hope you don't plan on playing modern AAA games.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2W09Q6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is it here. Payed 245.99 on it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/BpBD4q

spent ~1500€ on thist badboy last week

This' my first time ever building a pc.
I'm currently adding thermal paste and am wondering, does it have to cover the whole cpu?
is this too much?

It doesn't, but I like doing it that way. As long as you put enough the temps will be within 1-2 degrees of eachother if that.

Pea size drop in the center and let the weight of the CPU cooler do the rest.

Holy shit man that's nice
But you should have gotten the wireless G403

Don't buy the current batch of G403/603/703. If you have to get logitech get other models. The current batch of G403 come with scroll wheel encoder issues. Just google and you will see it is pretty wide spread.

that looks like way too much. less is more. Pea sized drop right in the center & installing the cooler will make it spread it perfectly.

Thermal paste is realistically really hard to fuck up to the point of higher temperatures, but you may have to deal with some getting around or even into the socket area if you dismount your CPU.

So long as it isn't liquid metal you are fine. Most thermal nowadays are non conductive.

So I've replaced my PSU AND GPU and still run I to an issue where my monitor just stops getting any kind of signal from my PC. It still runs, but I have to restart it if I want to use it again.
Could it be the motherboard? I have a AB350M PRO4.

it might be your GPU, could be a driver problem.

You're good user, maybe consider the b350 pc mate and this faster ddr4
pcpartpicker.com/product/N27CmG/gskill-memory-f43000c15d16grbb

And you tried a new cable?

Still never ever a good thing to have on your pins, especially if those pins are LGA.
Test with a known good monitor or TV.

True. But you don't have to worry as much nowadays.

Yeah, I ran with a Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 3GB and replaced it with the same care. I'm on the latest drivers atm, so would rolling back work?
Yeah, replaced all my old cables from my old monitor. Used an HDMI adapter and DVI-D too since I thought that would have been the source to issues, but nope.
I bought a new AOC monitor to test it out with, but I'm gonna assume that isn't a good brand? Didn't work either way, but I'll try to see with a television

saw this build in the OP:

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/#view=BrG4D3

an user here also suggested this build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/kwBMf8

I'm not very tech literate and just want a good gaming PC. Games I'm looking at are Final Fantasy 15, Witcher 3, Dragon Ball Fighter Z and Xenoverse 2

The first one I posted looks like the best choice, anyone have any suggestions or things I should look into? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you

The Pro4 has weird issues like that, if this doesn't work get another one or switch to MSI or Gigabyte

Make sure you set your power to optimal in Nvidia control panel and on windows setting.

Does MSI and Gigabyte have a mini board? My case is pretty small, but okay.
It's on optimal in Nvidia but I have it on Ryzen balanced power mode.

Yes user, go for the B350M Mortar

Those GPUs are getting harder to find though.

if I'm getting a new ryzen CPU, for my first build, which kind of mobo should I get?

I used a whole tube of Kryonaut on my Threadripper, temps are down in the low 30s on idle. However, that's a special case as it's fuckhuge. The cooler spreads it out when you tighten it down.

Also ignore those screws I fixed it seconds later.

Updating the BIOS would be safe, right? I've always heard that people were really worried or scared whenever they did so because of the good chance of the mobo bricking.

What anime is the OP waifu from?

an FX-8350 can still hold its own fairly well, especially if you overclock. its still a dead platform though and even the weakest ryzen chip is going to blow any vishera chip out of the water; the IPC difference is tremendous.
youd be better off investing in the AM4 platform, even if you buy a cheap ryzen 3 today and upgrade later.
could also grab a cheap i5 or something; i dont really know older intel chips or boards.

You interested in trades? if so, would you be interested in an RX 480 4gb(sapphire nitro+) + paypal for your RX 580?

That guy is on an AM3 platform, does not support DDR4 ram.

I know, I was commenting on what he's planning to get

guess i missed that post, my bad

Of course user, you download the latest one from here, unzip it on a flash drive, stick that in the mobo, enter M-Flash, select it and don't turn the computer off or touch anything for a few minutes
msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-MORTAR#

An old computer my family had, had a 60 and 80GB HDDs on it.
Worth it to use them? Even if just for music and images?

No

sorry, only looking to sell it

With cuckbucks spiraling ever downward, would now be a good time to sell off my 1070 and spin a profit?

Also, what's the word on the next gen of GPUs? Is Vega getting a refresh this year?

>20W increase with each HDD
Yeah you're right.
They are from 2007 apparently so it's time to let go.

Happens to me often, had to double check that I read properly
This. Keep them for a retro build

When upgrading to a new motherboard do I have to reinstall windows too?

no

why is google memeing me then

probably old articles. i've swapped drives from multiple computers and it works every time. I'm on Windows 10.

I thought that you did but no you don’t, you might have to re activate windows though

Will I need to uninstall anything beforehand at least? I'm upgrading both my motherboard and cpu and I really don't want to fuck anything up.

uninstall drivers if you want to, it won't make a difference.

wait till april; the ryzen refresh CPUs are coming out then, along with new motherboards.
if you dont think you need the extra procesing power the new ryzen chips will offer, you can go with a B350(mainstream) mobo. Asus STRIX B350-F GAMING is a popular one i believe.
x370 chipset mobos(enthusiast) are also an option if you want to pay extra for premium things, though its not really necessary in most cases. depending on the board and manufacturer, x370 will generally offer better quality components, more features like wifi or better onboard audio, and more power phases(good for overclocking ryzen 7s).
you have a budget in mind? what will this computer be used for?

massdrop.com/buy/lg-27-4k-uhd-ips-led-monitor-27ud58-b

Is this a fucking meme or is this for real?

I am on a fairly strict budget but this current laptop i'm on isn't cutting it at all, so I was hoping to keep it under $600, as long as this older monitor I got recently still works. I was actually planning on maybe getting a the new Ryzen 5 2400g and skating by on the APU (maybe overclock the integrated GPU) and overclock my RAM as well until I can afford a heftier GPU.
If it makes more sense to just get a cheaper CPU and separate low end GPU for now I might do that tho.