Is Discord the new IRC?

Is Discord the new IRC?

Fuck no

discord is for normal people
IRC is for autistic virgins

U Mad? yea it shows.

no because irc was never for normals, discord only became popular because people were sick of paying for their teamspeak servers.

Yes. Everyone above me is a butthurt old man.

meme a bad one as well

MMMMMMMMMMMM SOY

There's still a few people using IRC
Nice try at the bait though OP

Nice to see it's not completely dead

No. IRC was always for wizards. Discord is for vidya normalfags.

Nah more like the new Skype

IRC was the #1 place to hunt for fresh teenage emo pussy in the 00s

IRC is an open standardized protocol with many implementations.
Discord is some shitty web app.

Sup Forums is the new IRC

What's IRC?

Wrong

Discord is for Nazis

No. Even with decades old tech and thought process, IRC is still safer to use.

who cares

>IRC is still safer to use
You say this while every single popular IRC daemon reveals your IP address on connect by default. And while Rizon and Freenode happily reveal your ISP via reverse dns exposure.

the new jabber
but worse in every way

What is "IRC"?

>irc was never for normals
top kek

IRC is a protocole
Discord is a centralized nigger that spy on you nd violate your rights

I think OP means "The most popular application for IM for most computer users". IRC used to be very popular for games. See: Quakenet. For a while, I don't think these sorts of chatting services existed. Like, there was this gap between 2011 and 2015 where everyone either used Skype (which most people avoided because it revealed IP addresses at the time, thanks microsoft) or TeamSpeak (wherein a shitty server owner can also get your ip address and ddos you)

DDoSing has always been a problem in the PC gaming and even console gaming communities. Discord solves this problem by putting all the "servers" (chat rooms) on a centralized server. This prevents people from getting your IP address and DDoSing you, and because it's a free service, it's very attractive to new users. It combines all the good things about IRC and TeamSpeak and puts them into one application with none of the security risks or fees. It's a perfect application for what it does.

IRC used to be wonderful for discussing games. And it still is. Discord just removes the learning curve from using IRC, making it accessible to anyone who has basic computing knowledge. It keeps everyone secure, and ensures access to everyone.

Too bad 99% of "users" are either bots or idlers.

srsly kys

Idling in != Using. Most of those thousands of users channels are utterly devoid of chat.

>Popular Discord channels aren't full of idlers

IRC is a protocol.
Discord is a product.

Too bad the protocol is deprecated, outmoded, and most of the implementations look like Xterm circa 1980.

>making it accessible to anyone who has basic computing knowledge
irc was accessible for 25 years prior

You are made aware with a certain degree of transparency. It does NOT exist with Discord, which puts on a hip and trendy costume to lure people into giving ALL their data and metadata.

Not to mention coercing people and putting them in danger too.

>the protocol is deprecated, outmoded

no you you fucking dumb nigger low iq retarded cattle

IRC does not look pretty. Usage of IRC requires learning new things. Commands. A complicated GUI. A user must enter the details for an IRC server. They must register their nickname with NickServ. They may need to hide their hostmask with HostServ. The IRC server may not even have Services installed, making it even harder for the user. IRC is simply not user friendly enough.

People don't care if Discord collects the data. They care if some minecraft users has it. They could care less about what Discord collects in the background. It's sad that most users don't care about privacy, but it is what it is.

you seem a little upset :)

>not an argument

It could've been if it was a free and open standard like IRC.

Probably because Discord is 99% used for vidya chat as marketed, and I really, truly don't care if this company forwards my rants about how shitty League is to the NSA, as if they're doing that anyways.

IRC will be here long after Google, EA or whomever else buys Discords and nukes it into the ground.

Twitch uses IRC for it's chat, IRC was never for wizards, just dumb millienials can't into anything.

Of course Sup Forums is infested by dumb ignorant soyshits like you and your friend those days

wow, you really are, I was right.

>It's sad that most users don't care about privacy, but it is what it is.

>By using the service which masks your identity behind an alias by default, instead of displaying your IP hostname and ISP by default requiring you to jump through nickserv hoops and apply to the admins personally for a mask requiring individual human approval, which you need to know to do right from day 0 because otherwise you log in even once with your username of choice without a mask you are down in the IRC logs forever and ever with your username against the IP and hostname, so there's no point masking anymore and you have to choose a new username before figuring out the mask THEN joining your channel of choice.

>connect to a server
>/j to a channel
NickServ/HostServ are kinda painful though, but discord is as complicated, you also have to register with email and join servers. and there are clients which graphically represent channel menu, so it's the same.

>But it's ok because it's marketed for gaymes!
>It's 99% used for talking about games but I don't have a source!
Oh it's you again. I see you still dont use discord much.

>IRC: everyone can see what ISP you use and any public chat messages
>Discord: a venture-funded company can see your exact IP, all public AND PRIVATE chat messages, and will keep the data around and mine it for profit until the end of time
Note I'm assuming you use non-garbage IRC servers, where hostnames are partially obscured by default

It is what it is, doesn't mean we need to go to that Orwellian world. We have alternatives based on Free Software like Riot. It even has that Electron stuff if you like using 16GB of RAM to text.

Not an argument.

It's almost cute how egotistical you are.

>IRC: Everyone can see my hostname clearly identifying my employer so they can send shit to them or personally identify me from my company website.
>Discord: Just looks like HTTPS traffic lol

Discord isn't perfect.

Privacy concerns are totally valid, they niggle at the back of my mind, but as far as I'm concerned, privacy is dead and the best way is to look as normal in meta data as you can. Anyone who understands the kind of data they actually collect knows that.

The UI isn't perfect, but it's certainly functional. In my opinion everything is where it should be. I think it has quite a few features that are dumb, but I just don't use them. I also think it looks 10x better in compact mode, which is supposed to mimic what most IRC clients look like. It's pretty alright.

Under the hood, it's heavy as shit. I don't like that it's basically a web app in a shell. The voice communication (what I use it for the most) in my opinion is fucking glorious. It's better than anything else I've ever used short of being in the same room as someone. This is also why I think it's retarded to compare it to IRC. The voice activation is also very good. Much better than mumble or TS was, and it's a god send when there are more than 5 people in a channel. I still have nightmares of 5 sets of background noise in skype.

The back end is up and down. When it works it works well. When it doesn't, it's annoying as shit. Can't really say much more about that.

The main reason people use it, is because everyone else uses it. It's convenient as shit to just be able to assume people have discord, because 9/10 they do.

IRC has it's place, and I don't think it'll go anywhere soon. But discord, in my opinion is good. Not perfect, but good. just like IRC. I think they can exist together.

pretty much this, it will stay around exactly long enough until it either gets shut down or becomes so bad that someone else tries their hand at a chat service and becomes the new discord

Just move to Riot. Make people do a good decision instead of a bad one.

With Riot around, there's no reason for Discord to exist.

>discord only became popular because people were sick of paying for their teamspeak server
Hello pajeet, what are you spending those viral marketing sheckels on?

For anyone else: Discord got big because of the millions spent on marketing. When it got big the voice features were extremely rudimentary, and to this day, discord is primarily a text chat service. Look in any discord server and you will see about 10x more active text users than voice users.

See
The way I see it, IRC had a few DECADES to innovate, and the dev community is just now starting to walk out of their caves and see that the world is passing them by.

Persistent message history, notifications, all of that stuff has passed them by. IRC will continue to exist, but only as a curiosity like telnet BBSes. Nobody wants to use a communications method that's willfully more annoying to use than the alternatives, those that will out of some sense of retro chic (or based on political reasons like muh open sores) are rare.

Do all of the people I want to talk to use it? No. Can I convince them to? No.

web app. desktop app and mobile app.

You do realize that the big IRC servers already have Matrix bridges, Discord has a bridge, and there's no reason you can't use them all from one app, right?

they are just web apps too
just because you bundle it with a web engine doesn't make it a real desktop app

Why were people coerced into going to Discord then?

Also forgot to mention this The mobile app is brilliant. I have used IRC on a phone and it was fucking cancer.

I have no idea, other than to say it's better than most of the alternatives, and it was marketed well.

People never ever move to things that are objectively better, it's always because of viral marketing or coercion.

-t. some fa/g/, probably

Riot has them too. Game Over, ENTERPRISE ball licker.

No we're soyboys because we use a service that works well.
We're cucked because we let them gather all our precious data.

this isn't true. I'm in a bunch of servers, and most of them are mostly for voice. Sure there are a bunch of servers with 100+ users that are most idle, image dumping, or spamming the chat. But that doesn't mean that's what it's used for.

ITT: people who have never used discord and probably never intend to.

you have never had sex and probably never intend to lol

>no because irc was never for normals, discord only became popular because people were sick of paying for their teamspeak servers.
wrong. the people using discord are often the same people who used skype without push to talk. It's abhorrent the way this shit is set up, and often the people on it have zero fucking etiquette on how to use a fucking mic.

>ui is functional
using the webapp if you shrink the window the sidebars don't shrink or go away, they just take up the entire chat window. On desktop you can't shrink it past a certain point at all with both sidebars included. Fuck it

wtf I don't have this problem

forgot pic

is that the desktop app or the webapp
also
>not using the compact view for chat
fuck the giant avatar icons

95% of the time I use irc to communicate with people. The other 5% is the phone's messaging app. Discord was never meant to replace irc, it was meant to replace the other shitty VOIP/Text applications like skype and teamspeak. Mumble has the advantage of being open source, so that wins out in any argument.

It always breaks for me, win7... Can't even reinstall it this time... Deleted all related files and still won't work.

seriously how the fuck did you pull that off, it's an electron app

Garbage software, I try to open it and it just spits out errors... Nothing was edited or messed with... Not the first time either, happend on another PC (laptop) using Winblows 10

This. Discord appeared out of the blue shilling it's "better than Skype & Teamspeak XD" message through every single "viral" channel they could find (but mostly Reddit). It didn't help that Skype & similar really had built up a well of discontent among their users, ready for Discord to exploit (I was a Skype user for a long time prior to being forced onto Discord and we really did have a lot of gripes about it).

i saw you guys are hiring. Where do i apply to shill your program on Sup Forums?

Is IRC the new USENET?

it is
t. irc user

Discord is the new Skype.

>deprecated
maybe look up the definition before using a word champ

Nah, tis the new Skype.

>mirc

>what Discord collects in the background
>it's basically a web app in a shell
That's why I only use the web app and absolutely will not install the "client"

poor bait

>Can I convince them to? No.
Why not? I've done for about half the people I talk to regularly.

>ZNC
My nigga

I like Discord's aesthetics. But I don't use it much.

Other way around, you 12yo asshat

Pretty much my feelings about it

anyone have that old Sup Forums discord?

Discord is a fucking botnet and fuck anyone who uses it

Web app, web app, web app

You mean the new botnet?

I dont like Discord because one fact: it censors.

slack is the new irc, discord is catching up tho

if anyone disagree please get a job first