The Elementary OS devs are at it again. This time they want you to pay for updates for free (as in beer) software...

The Elementary OS devs are at it again. This time they want you to pay for updates for free (as in beer) software. I unironically support this. What are your thoughts?

medium.com/elementaryos/about-appcenter-payments-daa76a1a3b59

To be more clear, applications won't autoupdate unless you paid for them. Instead there is a donation button.

>using eOS ever

>not wanting a beautiful yet functional desktop that respects your freedoms

>10 people say "oh yeah, I totally wanted to pay"
>9 people don't mean it
>"tons of people want to pay us, lets charge for our re-skinned GNOME garbage!"
Who the fuck even uses that OS?

Good for them, i still won't use their OS. The last thing I need is to have my OS nickel and dime me for every new program I download

I expect all 5 people who use eOS are going to be very upset

You should have seen the shitstorm when eOS released pantheon. 30% of threads were people posting their desktop and shilling it.

This description does not fit elementary OS

They should first build something worth paying for that doesn't break after a week before thinking how to monetise it.
All they ever had was a nice macOS X clone some years ago that didn't work correctly half the time, they could have made something good out of this but stagnated.

Fuck off you greedy soyboy cunts free software is a capitalism free zone

Paying for software is Stallman approved.

They've stopped being a resin a long long time ago. They have their own DE (Pantheon) with a suite of their own apps. They have their own HIG, which is actually pretty good comparer to what other DE's have and they want to support the devs who follow those HIGs.

The easiest way to make that happen is via making a working storefront where FOSS applications can be sold, though I'm afraid this is going to end up like the Ubuntu thing that failed pretty miserably.

Fuck off shitposting faggot

If you don't like communism go use Windows.

Can you show me where it says free (as in libre) software must be given away for free (as in cost)?

Actually FOSS is a true capitalist philosophy - the one that when you buy something, you should be able to freely redistribute it.

>not wanting a beautiful yet functional desktop that respects your freedoms
This isn't what eos is.

Okay, I never said it was communism or whatever other political ideology to begin with

Capitalism has no such stipulation. If ms wants to spy on you and prevent you from using your computer as you want to, that's fine, it's just capitalism. If it makes someone more money it's fine, it's just capitalism.

Money makes everything right.

Freedom to not have a hand thrust in your face repeatedly for gibsmedats is sadly not one of the five freedoms. Perhaps we should consult Stallman on this matter.