Yearly reminder to remove your cpu and gpu heatsinks and rinse them under warm water to remove all dust...

Yearly reminder to remove your cpu and gpu heatsinks and rinse them under warm water to remove all dust. Let them dry fully and reinstall with fresh thermal paste.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100018
amazon.com/Metro-ED500-DataVac-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how about you clean your fucking room and use some compressed air like a reasonable person?

5 years strong on stock coolers. too lazy

How about buying air filters so it won't get dust inside?

dont forget to add salt to water to get rid of oils

>not ultrasonic bath
Asking for problems. Water and copper aren't friends.

>how about you clean your fucking room

Jordan Peterson, is that you?

i want to fug kuroneko

Throw heatsink away and get a water cooler

>Jordan Peterson
who?

great now my computer is blue screening but at least i've got nice cool water

Reminder that you literally shed ALL your skin every 30 days, and the vast majority of the dust you see everyday is your flaked off skin that's floating around in the air.

Remember that majority of house dust are dead human skin and microscopic poop of insects which contains shit oil and insect bodily fluids
>YUCK
try to add a teaspoon of table salt to every cup of warm water that you gonna use to rinse your heatsinks to properly clean it off

AreYouTryingToTrickMe.jpeg

>poop of insects

>tfw live in cold climate
>no insects
>no giant bugs
>no snakes
>no spiders

Feelsgoodman.

idk but if i wanted to remove oils if that is really a thing that matters I would just pour some dish soap on them

Yeah but during the cold months ants and other small bugs come inside due to the weather

srs ansr
the salt will corrode the fuck out of your heatsink and ruin it
this whole post is (hopefully) a joke and you should not take your heatsink off unless you suspect there being a problem with it or your thermal paste

Ultrasonic bath uses water too. Just blast it out with compressed air while blowing a dog whistle.

What do I do about dust in my rads then?

I also do this for any window air conditioners I have

>he didn't pour Dixie cuploads of cool water onto his processor while discussing last night's scripted televised broadcast
Do you even workplace? No wonder CPU-kun doesn't like you.

>>tfw live in cold climate
>>no insects
>House dust mites are present indoors wherever humans live
>wherever you can live, insects will live
U R DOOMED

don't do this, it creates dangerous mustard gas

Thanks for the reminder, but I have already done this like a month ago. 4yrs of not taking apart my laptop and cleaning it out caused 100% CPU spikes, 98 C CPU heat registers and subsequent hard-crashing because of the latter. Thermal paste was getting old and crusty too.

Works perfectly now with no overheating issue. Thanks anyways for the reminder though.

>intentionally corroding your heatsinks

Mix mustard with your salted water to absorb any mustard gas that might be made.

Water + aluminum creates mustard gas

hello newfriend

Wash it in liquid mercury if you're worried about using water on it.

Wrong, it's actually mostly dirt.

I cant get a hold of any liquid mercury, is it ok if i just rip out my teeth fillings and melt those ?

Not if you go to Antarctica, sterilize all building materials, and then make a comfy house with a decontamination airlock in the winter wonderland.

>tfw live in Australia
>tfw my biggest battle is the heat, not snakes or spiders

>Remember that majority of house dust are dead human skin and microscopic poop of insects
textile fibers, user.

I rinse my heat sink with ammonia then rinse it off with some bleach- don't use water it will corrode the metals

I mean, I'm all for some redoing your thermal past and checking over your rig - but what the holy fuck goes on in your trailer?

I live in motherfucking Arizona where dust accumulates faster than spics and my shit NEVER looks like that. Seriously, compressed air every couple months and minimal fucking filters and you're golden.

At one point I tried doing this and followed the instructions I read to the letter. Only, I had swapped my thermal paste for conductive adhesive. I let the pixies out, and boy were they angry

throw rads away get liquid helium cooler

Water will corrode the copper and aluminium, but bleach and ammonia won't?

Just clean your heatsinks like user did yesterday

i wish this was true then my age old acne scars would go away and i could stop looking like an ape. sad feels

>fresh thermal paste

Does this really make any difference?

Are they any controlled environment test results available?

I just put mine with the dishwasher. Same with my AC air filters

Canadian Dungeons and Dragons guy.

bruh, welcome to basic science. Different shit reacts to different crap.

HIS EYES ARE FUCKING GONE

Depends on the paste. Most are good for 2-3 years without problem. Shit-tier is good enough to just start up a system, but you'd want to replace that in short order if you're doing anything performance-driven. A top-tier paste is good for 5 years or more ... again, depending upon what you're doing to your system.

Arctic Silver CMQ2-25G Céramique 2 Tri-Linear
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100018

Shit never really needs replaced in the lifetime of most systems if you apply it correctly to begin with and don't set the CPU or GPU on actual fire at some point. I've built a few dozen systems with it and have never seen any signs of it degrading in 5 years.

It seems degradation is real, there are couple of free technical papers available online however it seems this is quite complex matter.

search for:

reliability of thermal greases filetype:pdf

i bet that the psu has much more shit in it because the fan is on the bottom and sucks in all shit that comes close to it. its been almost 2 years since i cleaned it so maybe i should do it again soon..

its winter. no insects are alive here.

>relative timestamps instead of absolute

Idc, let the shit burn

Link to archive?

Is it that hard for you to search a post number?

Hard? No.
Am I that lazy that I'd rather spend the next few hours F5ing for a (You) with the archive link to appear? Yes.

datavac

amazon.com/Metro-ED500-DataVac-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW

words don't describe how happy I am with this device.

lol why remove them? just hose them down.

Don't wanna be that guy but user is right
Many motherboards and electronic components have certain coatings on them. Since urine is primarily water and different kinds of salts and proteins, when left to dry on certain surfaces they can leave behind what appears to be dust. This can also be heavily seen in people with all sorts of different infections or salty diets.

*opens your path*

>want to properly clean my gpu fan
>carefully try to remove the blades so I can get some hairs out
>broke some really brittle plastic on the inside that keeps the fan on straight
>now have to use it with some jury-rigged case fan on top of it

Are all computer fans like this? How do you get shit out of the axle?

Fans are meant to be light, they are brittle

Athlon XP 2200+ was my last CPU which needed re-pasting. Every following CPU still works fine from the Athlon64 X2 onwards, stock coolers.

The blades aren't brittle, at least on the outside.
They have some bend to it. I didn't use enough force that would break an outside blade.

The insides are brittle as well. If it is attached the the fan in any way or in the fans way like the cable routing it will be thin and brittle

The chloramine should neutralise the pesky mustard gas.

Make sure to leave it plugged on so you can deionize the dust faster.

>Every following CPU still works fine from the Athlon64 X2 onwards, stock coolers.
Yeah, it sure as hell works. Most of us just enjoy using their computers without having to hear a jet engine.

I use denatured alcohol.
Even gets rid all of that gunk that builds up in a smoker's room.

>hes a fag that belongs in Sup Forums not Sup Forums
fixed

>MUH Sup Forums

You should fix your airflow then.

ryzen stock coolers are nice and quiet.

Enjoy your autoimmune disorders.

the computer is always on and has an ups too for those power outages that last few seconds. last time i turned it off was last summer when i added a pci card in it.

You mean .