Switching to linux

Hi Sup Forums,
I'm a bit of a newfag when it comes to Linux. I've been using Windows ever since I got my first PC and now I'm ready for a change. So, my question to you is:
1. What linux distro should I use?
2. What programs are essential/helpful in a Linux install?
3. What are some nice ways to theme my desktop whenever I finish installing?
4. Where do I get drivers for my NVidia card?
I have a GTX 1070, not sure if that matters or not

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Beginners#simple
opendesktop.org/
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't see any reason as to why you'd do that, unless you have some specific aim in mind that Linux helps you achieve. Well, if you just want to learn about it, I'd understand that too, havr fun by all means.

Fuck off Vincent

The only reasons I'm switching are the privacy concerns with Windows, and I'd like to get more used to the Linux ecosystem.

install gentoo

now ive been here long enough to know thats a meme os

Use something popular and well supported like Xubuntu, Mint, or Manjaro. Most of your essential apps will already be installed. Your distro will recognize your graphics card, and you can either download the proprietary Nvdia drivers or the less powerful open source ones from the settings. Boot distros off a bootable thumb drive. Try a few. See what werks with your hardware, and matches your taste.

IDK read about them and just fucking decide.

Also, start learning about virtualization if you're going to be thinking this much about your operating system.

If you're doing it for privacy reasons:
Install the easiest possible distro first. Best bets are: linux mint (very similar to Windows), Ubuntu, Manjaro.

Once you have more experience, If you want maximum security and privacy, slowly learn a musl based distro like Alpine, Void, or Gentoo (can be configured with musl) and eventually move to that.

You've been here long enough to know not to install Gentoo as your first OS yet you haven't been here long enough to know that there is a friendly Linux thread with information for you, as a new user, that answers all of your questions? I doubt that

1. Fedora
2. I got nothing
3.search for theme packs in the repo
4.search for Linux nvidia drivers

But I am always in /fglt/ and I NEVER get to be an asshole like this!

the best advice you can get is to not switch to linux. (5 years wasted here)

unironically, xubuntu, kubuntu or mint are best for general purpose for noobs. i use xubuntu on all my machines.

if you want a modern, feature filled and can handle 1gb ram usage, go kubuntu.

xubuntu uses about half the resources, is highly customizable but not sleek and flashy like kubuntu.

mint is for noobs who want an out of the box pc with minimal need for customization. great os if thats what you want.

But Vinny has a GTX 1080.

AS YOU KNOW

Debian has all you need to learn about using Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

1. Ubuntu. The only distro to not assume you're aiming to be a sysadmin.

Get a cheap laptop or used pc to learn linux on, if you jump right into it on your only computer you're gonna have a bad time.

privacy solutions:
>block telemetry using hosts and/or Pi-Hole
>opt out
>use local account
>use SpyBot S&D or another program to patch the holes shut for it
>disable windows update, only update through direct downloads as needed

only the first three are really needed. Oh, and you can pirate and install LTSB as well.

Yes, go directly to hell to learn about it.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
I will report you if you make raging thread about how something didn't worked for you or you don't know what to do because you can't fucking use search engine (judging from this thread).
I will also gonna write an angry post.
So, before wiping your windows, MAKE SURE you are able to use search engine and solve trivial problems on your own.

>I've been using Windows ever since I got my first PC
Install KDE Neon and select the Breeze Dark theme.

>1. What linux distro should I use?
Probably Ubuntu mint or maybe debian until you learn a bit about the system
>2. What programs are essential/helpful in a Linux install?
Xorg server, sound drivers, and either a DE or a wm. With a wm though you will need a find your own file browser, file editor, archive manager, and maybe an image preview program
>3. What are some nice ways to theme my desktop whenever I finish installing?
Many DEs have options to configure things. I personally use i3wm though, with this you have to edit config files
>4. Where do I get drivers for my NVidia card?
Not sure about many other distros, but on debian just look up "debian nvidia drivers" and click to skip down to the latest version of the drivers and it will tell you what to do. Some will come with the option to enable the proprietary drivers in the settings somewhere, mint is an example of a distro that does this.

distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Beginners#simple
Chat, Voip (skype and others): Pidgin
RSS Feeds (can view and organize Youtube channels): Liferea
IRC: HexChat
Backup (file synchronization): Unison
System Backup: Systemback
Batch renamer: GPRename
File search: ANGRYsearch
Duplicate files removal: dupeGuru
Drawing: Krita
Image Editing (a.k.a. "photoshoping"): GIMP
Ebook Viewer: Okular
Image viewer, organizer, basic editing and video previewer: GThumb
Music Tags and metadata: Easytag
Music Player: DeaDBeeF, or Audacious with a Winamp skin
Media Center (online radio, watch and download tv shows and movies): Kodi (XBMC)
Video Player: VLC, mpv/mplayer
Video editing: Cinelerra-cv or OpenShot
Video Transcoding: Handbrake
Video compositing: Natron
Screencasting: Open Broadcaster Studio
Password manager: KeePassX
Laptop powersaving: PowerTOP
Office Suite: WPS Office, or LibreOffice
Desktop publishing (like a pro): Scribus
Document processor (academic papers): LyX
Flashcards: Anki
Graphing calculator: GraphMonkey
Counter RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury): Workrave
Typing training: Klavaro
System monitor: Conky, GKrellM or HardInfo
Manage startup services: BUM
Virtual Machine: Virtualbox
To launch photoshop and play games: WINE ( + Wine Staging), with winetricks and playonlinux
DOS emulator: DOSBox
Commodore emulator: VICE
XBox emulator: XQEMU
Multiple gaming platforms: Mednafen, Higan
Nintendo: Dolphin, Mupen64Plus, DeSmuME
Sega: Reicast, Yabause, Exodus
Playstation: PCSX
Download Manager (download videos from youtube and other streaming and file sharing sites): JDownloader
Torrent: Transmission-gtk
Burning CD/DVD: Xfburn
File Manager: PCManFM
Web Browser: IceCat. Secure by default, has firefox addons. Disable the LibreJS addon because it can be annoying for noobs.
Accounting: GnuCash. So you can keep track of the bucks you are saving when using free software.

Binyot

Go Manjaro. Check community editions. I was in similar situation. For me Ubuntu is thrash.

opendesktop.org/
>The only reasons I'm switching are the privacy concerns with Windows, and I'd like to get more used to the Linux ecosystem.
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

>Vinny will never be your bf

fuck

fedora gnome

it's the first linux distro i stayed with. the compositor works out of the box and you won't experience screentearing

>fedora
no

1) Kubuntu or KDE Neon (they're both Ubuntu with the KDE as the desktop environment, difference is their approach to release schedule).
Don't go for anything not Ubuntu based if you're new, it'd only end in pain.
I suggest KDE instead of GNOME or XFCE because it's more polished and user-friendly than XFCE, but unlike GNOME it doesn't try to force the user into their One True Workflow. Another option is Ubuntu MATE - MATE is a fork of GNOME 2, which is less weird than GNOME 3.
2) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3) the System Settings program in KDE is all you need for your theming needs.
4) Ubuntu has a very user-friendly driver manager which will fetch and install the correct GPU drivers for you.

I chose Debian as my first Distro, it's different but not difficult
I really like dmenue.
I just use conky to monitor my hardware.
>4. Where do I get drivers for my NVidia card?
Nvidia offers GPU drivers for Linux Distros on their own homepage.

why is bimmy so cute

>unironically wanting a furry as your boyfriend
lol

Not OP. But thanks a lot for this.