Falcon Heavy launch

Rockets are technology. Le meme man is scheduled to fire his latest dick shaped rocket in 12 hours. If it works, anti-SpaceX fags get BTFO by based Elon, if it fails then Reddit soyboy fanboys get BTFO so is all good.

Other urls found in this thread:

spacex.com/webcast
instagram.com/p/BezcvpzAgYI/);
google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1bZcVS6Whth8XtrTt0kpYL6IQF66D8nCk&ll=27.922273514885035,-74.53136350557088&z=6
faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/licenses_permits/media/LLS 18-107 Falcon Heavy Demo License and Orders FINAL 2018_02_02.pdf
launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html
twitter.com/jeff_foust/with_replies
twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/with_replies
twitter.com/SciGuySpace/with_replies
flickr.com/photos/spacex
instagram.com/spacex/?hl=en
youtube.com/watch?v=w7BmM1nn3q8
youtube.com/watch?v=QEX-_B6e2UA
youtube.com/watch?v=H6mhw-CNxaE
twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/960918568123686912
twitter.com/elonmusk/status/960921700153135104
youtu.be/wbSwFU6tY1c
youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How many billions are they spending to launch a tesla into space just so it can crash into mars?

A few billion probably.

I hope it makes a nice explosion.

Probably will.

>mfw he does not

falcon heavy base price is about $90m usd

The two side boosters are older used boosters. The main rocket is comparable to a larger variant of falcon 9.

Falcon 9 costs about ~16M. Assuming the booster/top costs are 50/50 and maybe 150% of cost for main falcon heavy, that's 16M (from 2 used booster) + 24M for the middle. Total = 40M

That's just a rough guesstimate. But falcon 9 sells its service for ~$90. 90/16 = ~5.6 ratio. If we keep that same ratio then it would be ~$220 potential market dollars.

Based Elon. Here's hoping.

>It launches
cool
>It explodes
cool

There is no need to be upset

fugg didnt mean to quote

11 more hours

What a time to make a launch.. Whole world's becoming unglued. Ponzi schemes and scams are being exposed the world over for what they are.. Then you have elon scam adventures doing a historic launch off the heals of global financial collapse. Spoopy

>Doing what NASA could have done while costing the taxpayer even more to ensure Musk gets a profit
Capitalism is a mistake

NASA wasted $450 million for every space shuttle mission and they're literally cannot fund any new programs because they're still supporting the ISS which eats up half of their annual budget.

That number is close to $490 adjusted for inflation.

NASA's way was fairly expensive and its rockets were not reusuable like SpaceX.

You should be saying SpaceX is doing what NASA could have done 10x over if politics didnt get in the way

Using all the years of R&D, blueprints, designs, standards, and technology produced by NASA and literally sitting in a room stripping out shit to try to make a profit and claiming that the people who laid the foundation for all of this to occur are useless.

Saying this when SpaceX hasn't done anywhere near the number of launches needed to prove their reuse program is indeed profitable and wont fall privy to the failures NASA predicted that caused them to shut down a similar program years ago.

> SpaceX doing 10x over what NASA did
Dumb liberal nigger please
> Tesla doing 10x over what the auto industry did
Uh huh...
> mfw elon musk dick sucker who doesn't work in tech but sucks the dicks of pretending marketing/businessmen who blow smoke up their asses.
I'm guessing you bought a $600 propane tank + nozzle too?

link to stream or gtfo

>what is google

>Giving Russians billions of welfare money is better than developing homegrown rocket industry

Found the Ivan

It's not going to intersect with Mars orbit, that's just how far out its orbit will reach.

Putting something onto another planet is serious business (RIP Mars Orbiter) and they don't want anything carrying life from Earth that may survive and thrive there.

A horrible botnet nobody should use.

It's like Musk played KSP and decided to emulate IRL that game.

You know, I don't think you can really hand SpaceX success with Falcon to NASA like that.

Sure, they learned some lessons, like don't use a space plane design but NASA didn't get anywhere near the reusability with the Shuttle that Falcon 9 is at right now, and Block 5 is only going to improve that.

The Shuttle needed so much retrofitting each launch it was almost as much work as building a new one. Even with these Block 3 Falcon 9s they're reusing currently take much less time and money to retrofit, and they're being much more cautious because it is relatively early in the program.

Rocket reuse is all about an eventual failure not occurring before you've profitably relaunched the rocket and landed it. You PROFIT margin has to be positive ex inspection/repair and you can't have a failure in 80-90 reuse cycles. Insurance is a mother fucker otherwise, the failure rate on paper disappears and is realized, and you have to rebuild another exploded stage and make changes to blow smoke up people's ass that you will be on target with paper numbers in the next launch series. They havent' done this number of launches yet so like all of Musk's ventures its all on-paper bullshit.

So, none of this shit is proven tech. And the tech is cost cutting not innovation. It's to try to become profitable. The rocket industry isn't just NASA. It's a global market of innovative companies coming up with profitable methods to do launches. It's already profitable.

So, what is elon doing besides doing chink level cost cutting hoping it doesn't bite him in the ass. All the hard work/protocols/methodologies have been proven for tons of years. Look at how many satellites are in orbit. To say some nigger who hired all of the ex workers from NASA, other private companies, and some wet behind the ears new grads and asked them how he can cut costs is some technical marvel is liberal gaped mouth faggotry.

> they're being much more cautious because it is relatively early in the program.
Yeah nigger they need 80/90 launches for one proven track record related to their projections. Furthermore, fuck all is being said at how much money theyre spending on inspection repairs which like all of Musks ventures magically run in the red w/ bullshit to excuse it.

What he has to do is be profitable... Nothing at all matters about what they're doing at Space-X unless they can be.. and what they do there doesn't even amount to 1% of what the rocket industry/NASA has done before them.

True

>Lol what are we gonna test this rocket with? We can't put any useful payload on it till we've done test launches, regulations and shit
>Heh, know my old Roadster? Yeah, the one that's really precious to me?
>Elon, could you not talk about Tesla for like five fucking minutes, this is SpaceX
>Put the Roadster in the rocket
>I'm sorry are you even list, WAIT. WHAT.
>Put my car
>In the fucking rocket

Well, right now what he is doing is profitable, because all their launches are. They're not launching at a loss in the hopes that reusability will make them money in the long run, they're aiming to bring down the cost of launches as reusibility makes turning around a rocket more affordable.

it is pr to raise money for more tomfoolery, preferably siphoned from the taxpayers. No one takes musk seriously at this point in time

You can't actually be this delusional and angry over nothing.

'le con-artist space man

Elon was watching Heavy Metal and thought, fuck I could do that now.

oh shit mang OG ender's game cover

As opposed to say ULA? Who has been 100% Taxpayer funded since day1?
Not sure why your so angry about SpaceX getting some grants...

cgi is rendered and ready, countdown to release ...

CGI was released yesterday friendo.

>inb4 delayed due to strong winds

that was the shitty cgi to make this one look more real

you know how hot chicks always bring an ugly friend?

How come SpaceX has better than CGI than Hollywood?

*that may survive and drive there

Why not just build an updated Saturn V?

>implying i will waste energy on a peabrained globie
shoo

T -3 hours and Elontrarians cucks are already this assblasted.

Nah my dude, he's doing it at the right price.

Although I generally agree, NASA should be the one doing everything besides mundane satellite orbit launches.

I get NASA doesn't even have the capability since they're forced to culturally enrich the employee roster.

It's cuz you retards keep funding your military. Literally the most unnecessary direction of funds. If NASA was funded more they'd be able to do much more

~~~~~~~ IMPORTANT INFO ~~~~~~~
WHEN: February 6, 13:30-16:30 EST; 18:30-21:30 UTC
STREAM: spacex.com/webcast

~~~~ ETC INFO ~~~~
LAUNCH VEHICLE: SpaceX's Falcon Heavy
WHERE: LC-39A, Florida, USA
PAYLOAD: Elon's Red Tesla Roadster (instagram.com/p/BezcvpzAgYI/); payload mass is ~1305 kg
DESTINATION: An Earth-Mars heliocentric orbit (380 to 450 million km)
LANDINGS?: YES, side cores (used, from CRS-9 and Thiacom-8) at LZ-1 and the center (new) core on OCISLY (~342km downrange)
HAZARD AREA MAP: google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1bZcVS6Whth8XtrTt0kpYL6IQF66D8nCk&ll=27.922273514885035,-74.53136350557088&z=6
FAA LICENSE: faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/licenses_permits/media/LLS 18-107 Falcon Heavy Demo License and Orders FINAL 2018_02_02.pdf
DEFINITIVE guide to viewing cape launches: launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

This is the FIRST launch of Falcon Heavy
3rd launch of 2018 for SpaceX
13th launch out of KSC LC-39A for SpaceX
7th and 8th reuse for SpaceX

FH Stats:
* 22,819kN of thrust at takeoff
(Saturn V: 35,100 kN)
* 63,800 kg to LEO in expendable configuration
(Saturn V: 140,000 kg)
* Wet mass of 1,420,788 kg
(Saturn V: 2,970,000 kg)

Good space journalists to follow:
twitter.com/jeff_foust/with_replies
twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/with_replies
twitter.com/SciGuySpace/with_replies

SpaceX related sites:
flickr.com/photos/spacex
instagram.com/spacex/?hl=en

~~~~~~ News from Elon’s press conference ~~~~~~~~
- doing a six-hour coast before final second-stage burn; going through Van Allen Belts. Also fuel could freeze or oxygen lost.
- Tesla will be placed into a heliocentric orbit and become a Earth-Mars cycler; only extremely tiny chance of hitting Mars in foreseeable future.
- one area of concern is relative interactions of the three booster cores; could be resonance or shockwave impingement. Once second stage separates, we’re in much more known territory other than long-duration coast.
- looks like development of BFR is moving quickly, and won’t be necessary to qualify Falcon Heavy for crewed spaceflight.
- if we’re successful, offer near super-heavy-lift for little more than Falcon 9. “Game over” for all other heavy-lift rockets.
- if successful with this test launch, we’ll be ready to put a satellite on the next Falcon Heavy launch.
- if successful should be able to d another FH in three to six months. Can produce them at a pretty rapid rate.
- if we wanted to, we could add to more side boosters, make it Falcon Super Heavy.
- we kind of tabled Crew Dragon on Falcon Heavy (including the cislunar mission announced last Feb.) and focus our energies on BFR.
- it would be a “real huge downer” if Falcon Heavy blows up, but hope to learn a lot. It’s a win if it just clears the pad.
- main reason for the six-hour coast is to demonstrate direct GEO insertion (for national security customers).
- will be three cameras mounted on the Roadster, should provide “epic views” if all goes well.
- it should be an exciting day tomorrow. We’ll have a good time whatever happens.

and finally, the actual orbit: youtube.com/watch?v=w7BmM1nn3q8

youtube.com/watch?v=QEX-_B6e2UA

XD

youtube.com/watch?v=H6mhw-CNxaE

XDDDD

I think you've got the wrong thread buddy, what the hell do these videos have to do with FH?

Outcome 1: See a cool explosion live
Outcome 2: See a sports car get launched into solar orbit

I see no bad options.

twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/960918568123686912

Now 2:20 PM EST

we built rockets that could deliver payloads twice as heavy than what the falcon can do...50 years ago.

there's nothing impressive. the only reason we don't build such heavy lifts rockets is because they serve no commercial (profitable) purpose.

That's exactly why it's exciting. It's now at a profitable place.

>full (minus S2) reusability
>1/4 the cost
it's a big deal dude

>It's now at a profitable place
not really, appart from interplanetary missions there's no scenario where you would need to launch 60 tons worth of satellites on the same orbit...

re-usability is the next leap, but the heavy falcon is just a meme so is its "payload"

I linked the wrong video initially, the 2nd video is about this feminist green peace Luddite shitting on rockets because the "whole concept of rockets are to appeal to the high testosterone ejaculation nature of men" I shit you not she actually said this.

What time GMT? I want to know when to refresh this thread for more info

Supplies to the iss

your president just killed the ISS, FYI

twitter.com/elonmusk/status/960921700153135104

delayed an hour

Anyone else at the cape?

Seriously need to shit, but this fucking stretch along 401 in Port Kennedy is crazy man. Giving up my parking spot would be insane.

youtu.be/wbSwFU6tY1c

Delayed again. BTFO

HOLY SHIT IT THOUGHT THE TESLA INSIDE WAS JUST A MEME

Imagine being so rich that you can recreate crazy movie intros in real life.

youtube.com/watch?v=DWMPe3wF9jQ

Shit in your car man, just find a bag or something.

I'm rooting for you to make it!

fuck this guy, shit in someone else's car
if they get mad just bullshit them about working for space x and tell them you had no other option, ol' musky told you to

Funding ends two years before it's projected end of life. Besides, the ISS probably won't be the last laboratory in LEO.

>the ISS probably won't be the last laboratory in LEO.
You're more optimistic than I am, user.

is it really bad tho? i mean, if it means we're getting spess colonies im all for it.

Why is that piece of shit """rocket""" delayed again? Fucking russians launch their rockets in blizzards

>wanting to launch a test mission under non-ideal conditions

It was.
Memes became real on Nov 8, 2016 though.

Because Russians rockets are basically ICBMs that got converted into rockets and those things don't give a fuck about weather.
Western soy rockets need ideal conditions or they'll explode.

Upper atmosphere wind shear like they're seeing now can tear rockets in half. Not a good test condition when you want to prove that your platform is reliable. Failure here would be very bad.

Wernher Vonn Braun didn't make soy rockets.

>our rockets are so weak some wind can snap the rocket in half
maybe they should design better rockets and not hire retarded 22yo college grads by the truckload

Those were Chad rockets, that's different.
Modern numale rockets are a different breed entirely.

The ISS is pretty useless as a laboratory, desu, its main benefit is learning how to assemble huge stations and how people cope with living in zero-G. So far, it doesn't look good. Future (long-term) stations/ships will need a grav-ring.

>not taking advantage of it to prove that your rockets can launch even during strong winds
pussy

he wasnt merican though

That's a big rocket

It will fail, as usual.

For rockets you really don't want to overengineer sections for unideal conditions. Much better to wait a day (or weeks/months) for a launch than to blow it up or cut the distance/speed it can go.

then we get a nice explosion

>Wernher Vonn Braun didn't make soy rockets.

But he was a nazi.

Not to be sucking off the meme man here but his launch record isn't garbage. His goals and motivation behind it sure are though.

>oh gee whiz let's make the most delicate cylindrical tube possible to save some weight!
>who cares if they're holding 100 megatons of explosive liquid oxygen
>we're only gonna fire under ideal circumstances!
>what do you mean it's cloudy today???

>Because Russians rockets are basically ICBMs that got converted into rockets and those things don't give a fuck about weather

Russky rockets often collapse on their own regardless of the weather

in a few words: Very, Very expensive

Look a the budget that nasa had during the 1960's. It was almost as big as the military budge in 1966

I've read that the rocket wasn't well documented too. So it would have to be developed again to have a system works
With the layout of the Saturn V and the other stages. That energy and budget would be better used to build a much better rocket than the Saturn V

For (You)

>100 megatons of lox
No

I don't quite understand what your mocking.
>Let's reduce the cylinder diameter so we can load more fuel and go farther, or support heavier payloads.
>We're only going to launch under conditions we know our rocket will perform ideally and not endanger human life.
>It's cloudy today, oh no we have to wait until tomorrow to launch when it has been designed and manufactured for 5 years.
They already had a backup day planned in case of scrub. Very normal with launches like these.