Raspberry Cow-Pi

What in the fuck is the point of this pos? What I can do with this that I cant do with an old lap top off ebay?

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/gpio/
youtube.com/watch?v=3BJFxnap0AI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

if you have to ask you're probably not very bright

The correct answer is nothing. Literally nothing

small pc u you can put in small robots vs big laptop that doesn't fit in ur stretched asshole OP

You clearly havent seen my asshole user.

Anyways, i guess i wasnt taking physical size into consideration. Cheapo laptop seems more practical is most scenarios, but i guess not all

have it in the room without fan making your ears bleed

>The correct answer is nothing. Literally nothing
That's the answer that applies to you and OP (assuming you're not samefagging). You probably still struggle with a pencil.
Print server, multimedia server, web server for starters. But it was designed as a platform to teach coding in schools.
In the next decade there are going to be so many coders that the "mystique" of the coder will be forever gone.
Most of the influential people in the IT world are not coders, and if you think Bill Gates was a coder it shows just how little you know and understand.

Its real point is in its supply of general purpose I/O pins, it's supposed to be a modular, lightweight platform for developing hardware.

7 replies before the first correct answer. Bravo Sup Forums.

>What I can do with this that I cant do with an old lap top off ebay?

Easily accessible GPIO pins

raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/gpio/

The selling point of the pi are its limitations, not its capabilities. If you just got a laptop you'd just end up installing Windows or some "5m install time and done Linux distro" and do nothing on it

>teach coding
>on a niche platform
>not a cheap old ass laptop from ebay

literally unsubscribed

>The selling point of the pi are its limitations, not its capabilities

Libreboot.
>inb4 hurr durr not free if you buy a RasPi
Fuck you. If the EU did ONE THING RIGHT, then it's the 14 day rule.

>buy RasPi
>Day2: Libreboot
>days3-13: reflash libreboot/revel in the glory
>day14: "Yeah I want my money back. No reason, just realized I don't need it (anymore)"

This law turned all tech shops into free rental services.

This. I have a BananaPro running as a nigrigged NAS. In my room. If it weren't for the light on the HDD, no problem at all
>what is gaffa tape

Well it is very small so you could use it in projects with limited space. It has decent performance for its size and it has easy-to-use GPIO pins to control a lot of external devices as well as shitloads of other boards that are designed to work with the Raspberry Pi

Stop being a fucking normalfag.

i use mine as a plex server and a very basic/cheap NAS paired with a 5TB external drive that ALSO acts as a backup drive for my PC
also it's very helpful for learning unix

I think you mean gaffer tape?

internet radio to listen to comfy internet radio while having learning and having computer off

Also with comfy webinterface to manage radio playlist.
Will maybe add a oled display or something to have comfier headless use

Easy access IO pins meaning you can wire things onto it with ease.

Low cost makes it ideal for school projects - and this is literally what it was designed for.

UK industry wants more coders, so they've got school kids coding and connecting stuff to these, and it costs less than $200 per student, as opposed to $500+ per student on more typical hardware.

Well it's not like you can't buy a GPU pinouts for laptops, and desktops.

It's what? 30 dollars? Probably can't find a laptop on ebay for less than that

The default Raspbian environment is configured well to make it a learning environment for children. Other uses for the pi focus on its physical properties, like being small, silent, and sipping electricity through a straw, and its wealth of GPIO. It's running a full Linux (or BSD or 9front) distro so you get all the power of a full Unix environment instead of some crippled shit like an Arduino.

Check out MPDroid for remote control from your phone or tablet. It's on F-Droid.

>What in the fuck is the point of this pos?
It's meant to let the British government make a little extra money while spreading a botnet.

I use mine as an adblocking dns server. At one point, I had it set up as an avr programmer + UART console.

Mine cost $100 to make it it usable, and my thinkpad cost me $60.

it also uses way less power than a laptop

>Check out MPDroid for remote control from your phone or tablet. It's on F-Droid.
thanks, m8

It is also way less powerful than a laptop. Raspberry pos are absolute shit when considering performance to dollar.

it's mainly a tool to help people learn embeded programming.

Have any of you turned their Pi into an SDR?

No, but I turned 2 RTL dongles into sdrs a couple years ago.

It can do anything an old laptop can but at completely negligible power consumption and a tiny footprint, which makes it a lot more practical in a lot of scenarios like being a file or web server, being a seedbox, or anything else that doesn't require you to constantly look at a screen. Think, dumbass.

Neo Sup Forums doesn't think

They're pretty useless but the Brits are very good at shilling useless crap in order to distribute a self funding botnet worldwide.

No noise, no moving parts, small form, low power consumption, can display 1080p at 30-60fps that some old laptops struggle with. Then there are pins that you can use for home automation, robotics, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=3BJFxnap0AI

Of course, to do that, you need some skills. For easier projects, there are emulators for old games, media center (osmc / kodi), or if you have a unique IP, you could host your website.

I personally made 3 different projects:
rpi 3 - runs media center connected to tv, MS volume license server, and some other stuff.

rpi 2 - alarm system for the house that records X sec video if there's motion when activated, then when you get back to the house it says how long you've been away and whether there was any shady stuff (it will blink certain leds; in this case, you need to login and check logs and videos). There are buttons, sensors, camera, leds connected to it... I also made an UPS for it in case someone cuts power first.

rpi b+ - has a small color LCD attached to it (not via HDMI). Displays current free ram available of the desktop PC and the cpu usage (desktop runs a small program that communicates with rpi), shows room's temp and humidity, as well as the current speed of all outgoing traffic of all connected devices to the router, and some other stuff. It also has infrared sensor, so I control some actions with a small remote.

Seems like you wasted your time, and money 3 different times.

Odroid c2 > Pi3

>Split usb/mmc/eth
>1000mbps
>faster CPU
>double the ram
>newer codecs

meanwhile you fap to anime cute girls and move forward, am I right? (not the same user)

Are you retarded?

Most people learn after making one mistake, but you did it three times, and bragged about it.

To add to this guys post I think amlogic SoCs have the most mainline linux support

No.

If you don't mind spending double you can get a SBC with PCIe4 and A72 cores

Literally what fucking good would it be to you to have the pin outs of a fucking graphics processing unit kid?

Put it in your pocket?

He's just trying to sound smart. We've all been in high school before.

I've had a rPi continuously running for 3 years - performance to dollar doesn't mean shit in this case.

It can be used as a very affordable public use computer for schools, libraries and store kiosks.

Low power usage
It costs next to nothing to let it run 24/7

I would probably try all sorts of shit honestly from streaming and emulating and once I got bored just turn it to a pirate box

If you need a server to do something all day every day, why the hell would you use a laptop? The pi takes far less energy and stays out of the way. You don't use it for muh games or video rendering, but that doesn't make it useless

Not look like a retard carrying around an old laptop off ebay?

clinically retarded, like I said I wasn't the triplepie user.

>I wasn't the triplepie user.
You're not fooling anyone you pi bitch

>Literally what fucking good would it be to you to have the pin outs of a fucking graphics processing unit kid?
*gpio
I'm not that user, but I can clearly extrapolate that much when cross referencing the thread, and past comments. Also yes you can get gpio pins adapters for regular computers.
Rpis are pretty useful if yo have a need for them, or a class to pass, but there are much better options available for most things people try to use a pi for.

Fucking modern CPU's do not have many, if any, GPIO, all of the I/O is memory mapped, you dont know what your talking about.

you can just buy a usb gpio module.

> Unironically using trannyboot
neck yourself my man

>not using trannyboot
It's the only option until someone forks it user.

wtf are you me

It's still faster than regular BIOS on my X200. And as far as I can tell, installing it may be easier than Coreboot (because no proprietary blobs to port into ROM).

If you have a faster alternative to BIOS, feel free to PM me.

> Being at the whims of an autistic mentally unstable druggy tranny
I'd rather deal with non-free software than trannies

but can you connect i2c hardware and control circuitry over GPIO with a notebook for $30?

>I'd rather deal with non-free software than trannies
|
|
|>
|
|
Wew lad you almost had me.

Trannies are quite literally a product of the jews
Nice try schlomo

>at the whims
Does Libreboot update? Does it have its own IME? No? Well then I install it and do fuck all afterwards, same as with normal BIOS. Or is there a Libreboot Nightly®™©?

Yes. Can't you just use google instead of asking in here you dipshit.

So you are literally using probably 5 times the power consumption and 10 times the required physical space? How efficient.

show me that 30 notebook then user, blow my mind dipshit

> I don't have space for a laptop and a USB dongle
I'm sorry you're so fucking poor

GPIO pins
run RISC OS
fit in very small space
run off very small amount of power
boot extremely quickly

you aren't even refuting the valid point he makes. your baseless conjectures suggest that you're probably a little buttmad that someone called you out for being a brainlet

>use proprietary goynet because trannyboot is jewish
Wow.

Nothing. Just buy an old dell. Internet of Stings is garbage.

if you need GPIOs for electronics stuff a Pi is a good option; otherwise a Z83 mini pc is much better for a simple server, 4k video, small office pc, etc.

pi-hole
flashrom
rpitx
electronics jiggery-pokery

protip: you can't - it was a rhetorical question

a usb to i2c / gpio interface lays you back atleast $10+ bucks at aliexpress which leaves you with less than $20 for a functioning notebook.
Even if you found some shitty used up single core pentium 4 notebook for that money you still have to glue all that shit together, somehow manage to set it up at the place you want to use it and lay a ethernet cable to it since your shitty notebook has most likely no WiFi adapter.

I thought we promoted free software here.

>So you are literally using probably 5 times the power consumption and 10 times the required physical space? How efficient.
Well you can also add more gpio pins, and remove excess housing to slim the entire package down not to mention you will have a package that is a million times more powerful than a raspberry pi that can take real hard drives.
Other pros using a laptop are.
built in
>screen
>keyboard
>trackpad
>built in battery back up
>built in wifi
>gigabit ethernet on most old laptops that are cheap enough to be campared to a pi in price
Now compare that to a pi, and how much in aftermarket accessories you need to buy to get a similar package, and you'll quickly realize that it will take you many fucking years to recoup the costs with electricty bill savings on a raspberry pi you fucking halfwit.

We were, until Sup Forums came around.

Bottom line: Leah makes fuck all making this, so by using ((((((her)))))) software, I'm not giving her any money. Therefore, I don't have to agree with her practices, the code being good is the only thing that matters.

Can all agree on this?

can you buy a raspberry pi 3 like in ops image for less than $30, and get it in a usable state for less than $30? No you can't retard so shut up.
But you can buy a complete thinkpad for under $60, and a usb gpio, and it will cost you less, or near the price of an rpi3 that's ready to roll.

Yeah, it's God's job to make him burn in hell for eternity.

The same things, less voltage.

>The same things, less voltage.
You just end up paying more for an underpowered device.

who buys old shitty notebooks anyhow?

>>>/tpg/
I bought a few, so sometimes is worth listening to.

If anything, I can agree to that.

Raspberry pis are dumb.

Holy shit you idiot. Its not for retards like you. Its for computer programmers. If I want a dedicated server and nothing more, Im not buying a shitty laptop off ebay that could die at any moment. Im buying a pi.

It isn't a PC replacement, it's a board for DIY stuff. If you can't think of anything to do with such a small computer, that just shows your lack of imagination.

Apart from the obvious set-top box use, you can use its GPIO pins to control a robot, kind of like an Arduino but with more compute power and the ability to compile directly on it. Or it can be a compact, low power torrent box. Or it can sit inside a PC and be always on, giving you a way to power it on or reset it remotely, using a GPIO pin to simulate a power button press.

Linux on ARM with gcc, g++, Java and Python is a niche platform? I never knew.

>WWARRRRRRSSSSEEBERRI PIE

I've got a really nice ThinkStation that has all of my network services in VMs, but I use a Pi to do DNS/DHCP because I'd prefer to still have those if my main server is down.

You can use a special distro for the PI that allows you with extra hardware set to your Dreamcast to work online without dial-up. Perfect if you want to play certain online games like Phantasy Star Online 2 with private servers. You can also use the Dreamcast browser to browse the web or install Debian and install software.

Much less expensive than buying a Japanese Lan Dreamcast adapter that only works with the browser. You'll probably end up spending over 200 dollars for the adapter since only roughly 100,000 were made. The Raspberry PI option is a lot better and cost less money to get online.

They are mostly used as a retro console.
They are nice I mean, you could install emulators in your pc but this thing is pretty cute and comfy to have one, I mostly use it for playing when it feel to play an old game.
(I was talking about raspberry pi 3)

The utility of the PI varies on how close you are to becoming Dr.Wily.
The more mass automation shit you do, the more useful this thing gets.
After all, it's not very easy to get a mini itx computer to drive motors and shit and definitively not cheap enough to place into your little mets.
Robot masters yes, it do worth the effort as they are bipedal robots with specialized functions that control all the little machines and eventually have to face megaman, but not the mets.

its more comparable to an arduino except
>cant pop out IC and pop in your PCB
>uses 10x + more power
>has to run OS (unless you really want to get down and dirty)
>costs 10x as much
>Fucking 5v i2c..........
but
>has native USB/flash storage/internet/display
>wont run out of Flash memory
>dont have to reflash everytime you change something
>C/Python/other libraries at your disposal
>you can program like ass, the CPU is fast enough. it doesnt matter
if you're moving some do-dads Get an arduino
if you want to move them from the internet Get a Rasp Pi
if you want more Get a Job