/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

>Alcatel 3V promotional video outed ahead of announcement
gsmarena.com/alcatel_3v_promotional_video_out_ahead_of_announcement-news-29454.php
>Asus Zenfone 5 renders surface out of a manual
gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_5_renders_surface_out_of_a_manual-news-29459.php
>New midrange HTC device appears on GeekBench with a Snapdragon 625 and Oreo
gsmarena.com/new_midrange_htc_device_appears_on_geekbench_with_a_snapdragon_625_and_oreo-news-29453.php
>Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Renders With MIX 2-Like Display Appear Online
gizchina.com/2018/02/02/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-renders-with-mix-2-like-display-appear-online/

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/wileyfox/comments/7vo3d4/wileyfox_has_entered_administration/
gsmarena.com/amazons_prime_exclusive_phones_lose_the_lock_screen_ads-news-29502.php
youtube.com/watch?v=xslosUBbfZo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>phone related anime OP for the past week
>complains when it's not his generic blonde moe waifu

bump, need some advice, which phones are decent in this gen?

Recommend me a phone between around 500-700€. Had a Huawei Honor 8 that got stolen last weekend so time to upgrade. Would want something a bit larger than it was (5.2 inches). It needs to have a headphone jack.

Stuff that I mostly care about in no specific order:
>battery life
>camera
>stable performance

Been eyeing the OnePlus 5T but I'm open to suggestions as it's been a while since I paid any attention to the mobile market.

I got a OnePlus 3 and it seems to be pretty stable. I can't speak for battery life with constant use since I haven't been on a really long day with it yet, although there have been times where I've slept with screen off and it's only lost like 10% battery between then and waking up.
With the dash charger, it fully charges within 20 minutes or so anyway, so there's that too. The camera could be better, but for the price I got it for ($210 off Swappa), I can live with it.

My only real complaint with that phone is the lack of an SD card slot, so all that's available is the 64GB internal memory.. You ca nbuy a micro-USB C SD card adapter, but it's a bit awkward, and it's easy for things to slip out of the port.

>and it's easy for things to slip out of the port
And by that I mean the charger port, not the adapter's ports. It's a bit annoying having the Dash charger slip out all the time.

Where's the updated news OP...

Is that the famed "forced animation" I keep reading about?

My brother has a s6 which is pretty much broken, he wants a new phone with a big screen and that'll run Runescape when it comes out. What phone can he get?

I don't know what his preferences are so chink phones are fine too.

If he's already used to the S6 he'd probably be better off with another samsung phone.

The S8 active is the current best with the S9 launching in a month or so.

My Honor 6 which I bought about 4 years ago is slowly dying, im looking for a new phone, any suggestions?

>Holland
>Lebara
>not more than 300 EUR
>I could deal with a bigger sized phone

it should be against the law to allow ads in SMS and phone apps

ill tell him to go for an s8 then. ty

bump

Where should I start on modding my phone (P9 Lite) I've it rooted but didn't install any custom ROM or anything useful at all.

Looking for a phone to mainly listen to music and browse artwork, so a dedicated DAC is a must. Also I'd rather it not have an LCD display.

Budget of around 300USD

Currently in MX but can receive packages in the US.

What are my best option, bros?

I want a modern flagship with a non-OLED display, headphone jack, and removable battery. Are my dreams just that, /g?

Getting an iPhone8+ mainly for the camera and just a change from android (samsung) (gets really slow, etc. anything I should keep in mind?

Initially thought the pixel was cool but fuck Google.

enjoy paying for apps I guess, my mom has the Iphone8 and she likes it.
I have the pixel2xl and it's been amazing the last month and a half so far

I don't really buy apps at all 2bh, I heard there was a downside to the screen of the pixel 2.

Would you say its better than getting an note 8? Im going from an s7 and I've found android cameras not being as great as I thought, especially front facing.

Mi A1

LG V20 was the last flagship tier phone with a removable battery

Good protective cases that aren't too bulky? As much as I like the looks of my Note 8 as is I'd rather not break it.

Holy shit what anime?

Is there any way to get root on a Oneplus 5T while at the same time being able to update your phone as you would normally when unrooted?

Is it possible to do this without flashing a custom recovery?
On my old Nexus 5 I could at least root with stock recovery by using the Nexus Root Toolkit. It used TWRP temporarily somehow to flash the necessary root files.

RIP WileyFox
reddit.com/r/wileyfox/comments/7vo3d4/wileyfox_has_entered_administration/

Shit

This

I've played around with a note 8 and it's pretty nice overall, the s pen is great, but it's definitely not as smooth as the pixel because of touchwiz. pixel's camera is better, and the best overall on any current flagship but the note 8's is still pretty good

oh and the newer pixel 2 xl's screen has basically none of the blue tint stuff

Any Note 8 (Yous)?

Just got mine yesterday. Haven't had much time to get it set up the way I want it but I'm really liking it.

I'm from burgerstan using T-mobile. My nexus 5 is finally starting to die out on me. As tempted as I was to pick up a Mi Mix 2 or PH-1 I can't justify spending so much money. The ZTE Blade V8 Pro looked perfect but there's no software support or custom roms. Are my only mid-range choices the Honor 7X or some ugly Motorola like the G5 S?

Any Alcatel available at your nearest Oxxo.

My theme a qt right owo

Is there any way to force the 8.0 ota on my moto x4? I saw another user post a website earlier and cant find it.

That's pretty sad. I bought the first Wileyfox Storm pretty much right after release and it was a really nice phone. Loved the design of it.

I got a new phone but ive been out of the good phone game for so long I have no idea how to start customizing this thing

Phone advice?
>Norway
>Telenor
>Type C, large battery, pretty large screen (max the note8 size)
>250 usd budget

Mi A1

Good taste in phones

has anyone got the similar infographic for the first generation iphone? It was compared to something maybe like a palm product i think

Please talk me out of buying pixel 2 xl.

No. Don't. Stop.

Best phone in the 200-250€ range?

Oneplus 5
Germany
MedionMobile (E-Plus)

I want to switch but I can’t. Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV... thousands of dollars in movies, apps and games.

Fucking Apple prison. I really like Note 8 but in Apples prison there is no hope for me now.

Mi A1

just buy it m8, all the shit about it besides the no headphone jack and sd card is overblown

So it looks like my Redmeme Note 3 Pro is starting to go, so I'm looking for another phone.

Budget is around $200
Country is burgerland, carrier will be Cricket wireless
Would prefer 3GBs of RAM
Also quite enjoyed the fuckhueg battery of my Redmeme, so if I could keep that going it would be nice
Good support from the manufacturer and the community is a plus

I've been eyeing the Redmi Note 4, but I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there that fit this criteria before I pulled the trigger. Any suggestions?

Just buy them all over again lmao good goy

redmeme note 5 is being announced in like a week isn't it? I would wait

Fucking this
Recent news OP

LG G6 for £388? Worth it?

>is a 500 dollar phone from company with history of defects
>>>good?
Things that really make you go, "Hmmmmm"

I remember my Optimus G from a couple years ago started out bretty gud but the charging port turned to shit pretty fast. After a while I could only use some very specific chargers or else it wouldn't work. And then after 1½-2 years it fryed a charger (all the plastic around the charger connector melted) and then it became unchargeable.

If only apple had those features in 2016.

Holy fucking shit that animation is abysmal

The only thing I want from Apple is eg’ing split screen. Other than being able to customize.

Please

Amazon is removing lockscreen ads on the Prime Exclusive phone, might make them worthy of consideration for poorfags
gsmarena.com/amazons_prime_exclusive_phones_lose_the_lock_screen_ads-news-29502.php

>Holland
waarom doe je jezelf dit aan

Here we go

this makes me want to get a nexus 4

I'm getting a Mi A1 in the mail soon. Should I install a custom rom before I do anything with it or can I leave it stock?

Hi, I have an opportunity to go from honor 5c to 6x but there are two things that seem like a downgrade to me (I know absolutely nothing about tech though so no bully) : first the 6x camera has 12 megapixels while the older 5c has 13, and second the 6x doesn't use glonass so I assume the navigation is slower and less precise than the 5c that has gps and glonass ?
Thanks in advance.

Where is the original (not potato quality webm)?

November security update is out for Moto G5+ retus

Is nexus 5 still considered somewhat relevant?
Im still using it since 2014 and i dont feel a need to get a better phone3

Honor 7x

Big battery, big screen with 21:9 aspect ratio, microSD, 3GB of RAM, and a Headphone jack. $200 on Amazon

It has some shortcomings which prevent me from buying it myself, like no USB C, chink SoC, skinned Android with some bloatware and some slight performance hitches caused by the skinned Android. Otherwise though, it checks a lot of boxes. You would probably like it coming from Xiaomi.

The Nexus 5 is a great phone. As long as your battery life is good enough for you and are okay with installing unofficial roms for security updates, it's great.

But it's February

I replaced battery about a month ago so its in perfect shape. Currently running Ressurection remix (marshmallow).
The only thing that i miss is an sd card port though.

Thoughts on Oneplus 5T?

At the checkout right now.

Memephone, it's shit

Could you enlighten me on what isn't shit?

>first
The number of megapixels a camera has tells literally nothing about its quality. The 12MP camera on the 6X could very well be better than the 13MP one on the 5C (or it could be worse, but I'd assume it has the better camera due to being more high end than the budget 5C). Maybe try to find some photo samples online to compare, if you can't do a comparison in person.

>second
Doubt you'd notice much of a difference, plenty of phones don't support GLONASS and still do fine with navigation. But from what I can see online, the 6X actually does have GLONASS?

I'm on the verge of buying one myself. It checks every box. Good software, good design, good camera, good battery life, good build, current flagship features, and it's less expensive than all the other flagships.

I had the OnePlus One back in 2014, and it was the best phone I ever had. Nothing was as fast, as reliable, and as nice to use as that phone. I still miss it.

I'm also considering the Essential Phone used though. For $300 I can put LinageOS on it and it might overcome all the software issues it has. The hardware seems amazing.

op5t user here, my only complaint is that i'd like to get ois because my hands are shaky as fuck, other then that it's an amazing phone

Well, I've had the oneplus one since 2014 as well, bought the oneplus X a year and a half after that and dropped it in a river while kayakking last summer so now I'm back to the oneplus one. It's still going strong after 4 years although my homescreen buttons (even the on screen ones) are fucked and I had to download an on screen homescreen tab from the playstore that pops out from the side. Tried everything to fix it but nothing worked. I'm smelling planned obsolescence but w/e. Other than that I've been quite pleased with it although the phones currently cost quite a bit more... Considering the price of other flagships I'd say it levels out about the same.

Holy shit found it, tool a fucking long time to find the actual name of this shit and then some to find a HD version: youtube.com/watch?v=xslosUBbfZo

w2c a dumb phone for €10 ?

Local yard sales, thrift stores, etc. You can't find that shit online. People need burners.

I have been getting spammed with loads of telemarketer calls that are spoofing my area and local exchange codes. I've heard of apps used to block specifically these calls but know little about them. Does anyone here use such an app and would be able to advise me for or against it?

Is there any reason to buy anything but a Pixel 2 if money isn't an issue (nearly six-figure salary and expenses aren't too much) and I want stock Android?

I guess I should also ask if I actually don't want stock Android, but I currently have an S4 which is loaded with tons of bloatware and I'm sick of it, and I'd rather not void the warranty.

I still have mine, good little backup phone.

Is a 2GB/32GB Moto G5 Plus still worth it nowadays as opposed to the 3GB/4GB and 4GB/64GB variants?

I can get in on a deal on a Moto G5 Plus 2GB/32GB for $120 talked down from $160

I've been keeping my eye out searching left and right for 3GB/4GB variants on Craigsniggerlist, OfferUp, LetGo, and such... Found a Moto G5 4GB/64GB for $110 through OfferUp but the seller seems long gone by now and have yet to hear from them, contacted the seller yesterday though I hope I'll hear back from him because that's fucking fantastic great deal and a fucking steal

Was such a promising brand, could be the new oneplus

OnePlus phones are the other option for people who want basically stock Android with no bloat.

Pixel 2 has a better camera, OnePlus has a better screen and a headphone jack. Take your pick.

>have an xperia m5
>turn it on
>it flashes the screen for a sec and then it goes dark
>can't turn it on
>can't reset it
>try to charge it
>green led that shows it's at full charge lights up and stays even if unplugged
>after a huge delay hear the sound it makes when it gets plugged in like a deathrattle

Rip in pieces. ;_;
PC doesn't even see it.
I had some mobage in there man, for fuck's sake I hope I can recover my accounts.

This is probably a dumb questions, but are all Moto phones modular or is that only Moto Z?
Also, are they worth it if you're not really that interested in upgrading the phones base performance? Are they worth it if you are?
Is there actually any games or tech that really warrant modding a damn phone?

I'm just curious about it all.

So which one of these two?

>
Samefag. I'm not gonna correct my entire question because even though I did ask some dumb and obvious stuff, its still worth discussing but I will at least add:
Is slowly modding your phone worth the price vs just purchasing a new phone?

Get the Redmi!

just did, ty my dude

>Takes advice from random online anonymous who did not provide any reasoning when making purchasing decisions
You might as well just turn on the TV and listen to whatever random commercial pops up first. At least they are less likely to try and convince you to jump off a cliff.

I had to do it, sale was ending in 15 minutes and I'm busy watching anime

Just bought a Nokia 6 off Amazon, how did I do? I couldn't find anything else in the price range that wasn't Motorola or chinkshit, so it looks to be the best deal for me.

Aluminum seems nice, but is it sturdy? Also how's Oreo on it?

I can't keep up with Sonys names anymore
Wasn't Z supposed to mean flagship? What's an Xperia X? What the fuck is an XZ? XZ1??compact! Are those premium editions?
What is an Xperia A? What the fuck is an XA? What the FUCK is an XA1? are there compacts too? Is there an A1? Is there an X1?
E(1)? E2? no, E5?
Which one is the current version? Which one is even the flagship?