Linux handheld/UMPC thread

MIPS is love, MIPS is life.

Other urls found in this thread:

dillo.org/Compatibility.html
indiegogo.com/projects/kspro-8-2-umpc-ultra-mobile-pc-with-windows-10-computer/x/18025417#/
aliexpress.com/item/Data-Frog-Retro-Handheld-Game-Console-3-0-Inch-Console-Built-in-818-Different-Games-Support/32846555193.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.17.fc9f591f80QsGa&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10344_10130_10068_10324_10547_10342_10325_10546_10343_10340_10548_10341_10545_10084_10083_10618_10307_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_441_10624_442_10623_10622_10621_10620_10142,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_2&algo_expid=1119844a-5c44-4e34-80e0-8dad2e6534b8-2&algo_pvid=1119844a-5c44-4e34-80e0-8dad2e6534b8&priceBeautifyAB=0
win10se.cwcodes.net/
vault.theworkpc.com/
ebay.com/itm/Tadpole-RDI-Sparc-Ultrabook-Laptop-Computer-Never-Used/292209649271?hash=item44090d6677:g:3agAAOSwsS1Zi5OQ
xlab.tencent.com/special/spectre/js/check.js
react-etc.net/entry/javascript-spectre-meltdown-vulnerability-check-for-browsers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

stop shilling you soyware here

My friend I'm afraid that the only soyware used around here is yours (probably w10)

MIPS is a high test processor architecture, perhaps the highest test of them all.

no, that would be Alpha

Alpha is useless compared to mips

dingooooo

It seems, I can buy this nowhere

Probably because it's 8 year old garbage

Alpha got a bolted on x86 decoder and turned into AMD K7.

>MIPS
>soyware
u wot m8

...a tiny handheld that runs fucking router firmware? But why?

>router firmware
no ?

That's what OpenWRT is.

Why not? OpenWrt's great. It's not like it's going to refuse to work because it's not being used for a router.

>In electronic systems and computing, firmware is a computer program that provides the low-level control for the device's specific hardware.
>OpenWrt is an open source project for embedded operating system based on Linux, ...
no ?

Where did you get it?
I thought they were only still sold in India or something.

Of course it will work, it just seems a strange choice.

The miniature OS image flashed onto a chip in a small device that doesn't generally interact directly with a person in PC like ways is commonly known as firmware.

Now excuse me while I go install a printer /embedded operating system/ on my laptop.

>336 MHz XBurst
The printer I got for 30 bucks actually has a faster MIPS processor than that.

>The miniature OS image flashed onto a chip in a small device that doesn't generally interact directly with a person in PC like ways is commonly known as firmware.
>Now excuse me while I go install a printer /embedded operating system/ on my laptop.
>an OS is a firmware
>goes to install an OS anyways
You seem confused.

Anything that isn't so slow and ancient in this form factor?

>needs to be able to run overwatch

Needs to be able to run a modern browser.

>dillo.org/Compatibility.html
>could run on a psion5 with 35mhz and 16mb ram
If you expect it to handle "modern" js then not even a modern 12" laptop will cut it.
These things are for basic text/document processing and battery life. If you need eye candy then it's not for you. OP's handheld can run links and probably slimed down firefox.

That looks cool!
Can u flash a newer version of Lede on it?
There's snaps support now.

I have a 12" laptop with a crappy dual core Celeron N3350, Intel HD Graphics 500, 4 GB RAM, and Windows 10. TDP is 6 watts max. Firefox, Chrome and Edge all work very acceptably, even on modern JS-rich pages.

Of course I wouldn't throw a big compute task at it or attempt any game more intensive than KSP. But it works great for office, email, browsing, etc.

Yeah, I REALLY fucking want a leemote and a ben nanonote but they're impossible to find sadly.

I would actually travel to pooland if there was a shack somewhere selling these things.

Time for some chink shit shilling!

Is that a Linux handheld or just another NES on a chip with a preset set of games and wait-- is that a piece of fucking green tape between the LCD and the cover in the top right? China never ceases to amaze me.

Could be a tab for a peel off screen protector

>Celeron N3350
>launched Q3'16
>crap
Try a Pentium M from 2004 or a P3 from last millennium, darling. The P3 is even faster then the first soyberry was. We're few magnitudes lower then that. This thing is 336mhz + 32mb sdram. You can pray for js to not to eat up all you're ram and cpu alone. Just take your router and try to run links on it, that's the performance we're talking about. Sony umpcs might run firefox, the gpd win prob. edge somehow. This thing here is for text processing (only).

MIPS based emulator system that runs linux.
There's a distro for them called opendingux that's being ported to it and it's pretty much complete.
And that's a screen protector, mine had the same thing. It's just a tab so you can remove it.

what's a good dedicated, cheap, and easily available (in US) with which to get started on assembly hobbying?

some gmenu2x action

You missed the golden age of tiny computers by about a decade and a half sadly.

Is it compatible to the original Dingoos?

>open-dingus

I see... It just looks like it goes under the bezel.

Yes, and I used a Nokia N800 for a long while. It was nice but had similar restrictions but more RAM. It ran a stripped down Debian and I installed a Mozilla based browser that was bulkier but better than the stock one.

I gave specs for my new shitbook because I was disputing that guy's claim that even a modern 12" laptop couldn't handle modern JS based web. I bought about the shittiest cheapy new laptop on the market and it handles it fine.

If you want a Linux handheld then look into the Gemini PDA or look into Samsung trying to bring Ubuntu to their stuff.

There's also this new thing I found called the KSPRO:

indiegogo.com/projects/kspro-8-2-umpc-ultra-mobile-pc-with-windows-10-computer/x/18025417#/

Looks like a better Gemini PDA but I have less faith that it will actually deliver.

WHY IS ALL THIS SHIT ON INDIEGOGO

Yes and no
1. It's roughly twice as fast CPU wise, with a much better GPU and more ram, so it runs emulators better
2. The screen resolution is different, so while it can run most of the old dingoo executables ootb, the programs don't display right. The dingoointy forums is taking care of this though.
In less than a month pretty much everything has been ported, I expect a full .img to flash on the SD card by the weekend.
Think of it as a MUCH cheaper GCW zero that's actually possible to obtain. They're only like 50 bucks on ali.
>WHY IS ALL THIS SHIT ON INDIEGOGO
Because the GPD win/pocket made a decent amount of money and now the other chinks want in on the action.

>Quake 2
Even my microwave oven can run that...

I want mips to save us from the x86 jew

It would be a good start if it could outperform x86 on desktop or server loads, or beat ARM on low power performance. As is, it's a has-been that's been surpassed by more modern technologies.

>properly placed trackpoint
i want to believe

It's completely open sores and free of jewish tricks though.
As long as I can run some kind of unix on it, be able to have a network connection so I can talk with my imaginary internet friends and be able to handle multimedia with emulation up to PS1 I'd be more than happy.

Open is meaningless in the marketplace if it performs worse and eats more power.

Improperly placed arrow keys though.

wanted it to run a modern browser, i sarcastically noted how bloated and heavy modern web is. If i run firefox /wo addons i will hear my fan scream. Answer is it won't. The last gens of the umpc era can if you keep bloat in check.

I thought MIPS was more efficient than even ARM in terms of power?

That KSPRO thing is $600. Way too fucking expensive.

>MIPS
Its dead chinkshit at this point

RISC-V or bust

How dare you

Where are the MIPS based phones and tablets then? Android is pretty easily portable to any platform Linux runs on.

RISC-V has some potential. At least in theory it should be close to x86 on performance.

>Where are the MIPS based phones and tablets then?
They're all cheap chinkshit

All I want is a reasonably powerful RISC laptop that doesn't use a bunch of non-free horse shit at really low levels like Intel and AMD do. I don't really care about the main EC but I don't want any hidden management engines or UEFI shit. I want open source boot firmware or the ability to port and install Coreboot myself at least. As for the specs, I really just want something that's 64-bit and at least a 1GHz dual core with 4GB of RAM and a chipset that can support SATA2 at least, and some sort of graphics solution that can run without non-free blobs. I don't care if it's MIPS, POWER, RISC-V or something else. It just needs to come in a small laptop form factor, or have the option to stick the board in an existing laptop. I don't feel like I'm asking for a lot here. I already have my trusty PowerMac G5 that runs RHEL and soon I'll have a Talos 2 IBM POWER9 workstation, but I need something portable that isn't a shitty old PowerBook or an insecure Core2 craptop falling apart at the seams. My Libreboot T400 isn't getting patches for the Intel bugs, so I can't really use that anymore.

Why does everything have to be so fucking terrible for anyone who's remotely tech literate?

Is there one that offers similar performance to a midrange ARM based phone, with similar battery life?

>My Libreboot T400 isn't getting patches for the Intel bugs, so I can't really use that anymore.
Why not?
Just download the latest kernel, doesn't it come with meltdown bugfixes?

This. You can get Meltdown patches from kernel patches, and if Intel ever releases a Spectre microcode patch for your chip that doesn't suck, you can install it and Linux will load it in early boot. You only need BIOS patches for shitty Microsoft OSes that don't know how to load a microcode patch.

>doesn't it come with meltdown bugfixes?
What I really need is CPU microcode, and ideally all new hardware. Software fixes aren't acceptable for something this bad, and Intel is trying to fuck up the patches.

>UMPC
>MIPS
State of Sup Forums....

lmao they're probably more than enough people magnitudes more tech literate than you doing just fine

Meanwhile you're just illiterate. Please rephrase your insult, since it currently reads like week old spaghetti.

UMPC? Why not post some UMPC from the past here.

>lmao they're probably more than enough people magnitudes more tech literate than you doing just fine
Pretty much. Most of them know about the flaws of x86 chips, Management Engine, UEFI, etc., and use it anyway because the only other option is to use some really old or gimped system.

I'd love if I could disable Intel ME more than just "permanently disabled", or even better, get into it and run my own thing on it. But I can't, so meh. I still have way better performance than I'd have on any other system that doesn't cost a fortune, and security is acceptable if I don't run untrusted processes.

Chromebooks use coreboot, right?

>tfw the german furries fucked up what could have been a GOAT device

Yeah, but that doesn't mean much. It still integrates non-free firmware and there's still Intel Management Engine firmware partitions, so the IME still runs on Chromebooks that use Intel chips.

>My Libreboot T400 isn't getting patches for the Intel bugs, so I can't really use that anymore.

Why not? Boot a live OS and reboot often. It's fast and there's no time for any (practical) attacks. Don't use a hard disk or writeable media on that machine. Boot using the toram code for Knoppix and the OS loads in RAM. It's impressively fast even on my old T61. You can boot faster with an .iso on flash but the illuminati might write code to your flash just to get you like they got Terry.

Want real computer security? Keep your secure machines air gapped. Remove or physically disable network interfaces so you won't be tempted. You can't connect to the internet and be secure from governments or well resourced non-state actors.

If someone really wants your info they'd do what I'd do, which is kidnap and beat you until you gibs the info, then discard your corpse. Your only real security is not using the internet for communication or never connecting important machines to it.

Final security thought: Stop using the internet. You'll provide less metadata. Many old people don't internet at all and do just fine.

The Brit was the one who fucked it up.

Why the FUCK haven't the chinks just sold a clam shell housing with an LCD and similar controls +keyboard for the rasberry pi.

holy shit this
and why the fuck are those furries taking so long with the pyra
It's basically obsolete before it even releases at this point.

>do not use the internet
>live boot your OS and don't save anything
Great advice, you fucking mouth breather. You might as well not use a computer at all if you just want to play 1337 hAx0r all day with it. Even a fucking C64 lets you save shit to tapes. Go away, underage. You have no idea what makes modern computers remotely useful.

I kind of want one of these for my obscure handheld collection. (I had a Caanoo for years and I loved that thing so bad its battery died and now I can't get a suitable replacement since I can't seem to find the exactly spec on Aliexpress)
But I have like three Famiclones, a GPD Win, a GPD XD, and a GPD Win 2 on the way. (As well as multiple hacked 3DS's, a PSP2000 and a hacked Vita)
The form factor appeals to me though. Are the buttons and battery life good on it? Got a good link on Ali for them? I really really shouldn't get one of these too. But it looks so damn cute.

yes and yes. Basically DS lite in quality. Not as good as the original gameboy or GBA but still good.
>aliexpress.com/item/Data-Frog-Retro-Handheld-Game-Console-3-0-Inch-Console-Built-in-818-Different-Games-Support/32846555193.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.17.fc9f591f80QsGa&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10344_10130_10068_10324_10547_10342_10325_10546_10343_10340_10548_10341_10545_10084_10083_10618_10307_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_441_10624_442_10623_10622_10621_10620_10142,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_2&algo_expid=1119844a-5c44-4e34-80e0-8dad2e6534b8-2&algo_pvid=1119844a-5c44-4e34-80e0-8dad2e6534b8&priceBeautifyAB=0

The hi ppi screen is really the star of the show

>everything I don't like is soy!
This meme needs to die

>none of this stuff runs open source hardware
wake me up in 10 years when stallman starts his free hardware foundation

OPs pic is completely open and I'm pretty sure the dingux consoles are as well

You seem butthurt. Anyone spergy enough to switch systems over a trivial threat won't be bothered about going further. It's all for amusement anyway. If you remove the NEED for security your problems are solved.

Unless you actually run a SCIF for corporate or military reasons you aren't special and nobody cares about your shitpost machine. BTW I actually do boot live OS for normal internet chores on my shop Thinkpad and make no sacrifice doing that. If the shop gets burglarized the burglars get no data. I order parts and do all the usual tasks. I just do them without local storage or sometimes save to an SD card which goes home with me. (They fit wallets better than USB drives.) Live OS are handy, fast and free.

You can roll your own WinPE live build if Linux annoys you.

win10se.cwcodes.net/

This build is impressive.

vault.theworkpc.com/

OP could also buy a used Tadpole Sparcbook if he/she/it wants a fun portable. We had a few in the Air Force and the build quality is excellent.

Not mine but it's sweet: ebay.com/itm/Tadpole-RDI-Sparc-Ultrabook-Laptop-Computer-Never-Used/292209649271?hash=item44090d6677:g:3agAAOSwsS1Zi5OQ

Spectre and Meltdown are jokes but the fear is hilarious.

He believes free hardware isn't feasible without production becoming decentralized and easy to copy

>Spectre and Meltdown are jokes but the fear is hilarious.

Have you ever seen an Spectre or Meltdown PoC that lets you hijack any PC? Your gayware needs to already be on the target PC and running. There are easier ways to get a reverse shell.

This was basically a massive Intel PR hitjob. Good or bad depending on your opinion.

>It's ok that a random web page can read kernel memory

>Have you ever seen an Spectre or Meltdown PoC
answer anons question, user.

xlab.tencent.com/special/spectre/js/check.js

Open means it's possibly for more companies to make better microarchitectures.

i block all js by default. not a working script on my end. theres a ton of js malware that dont require this shit.

>do not use the internet
>live boot your OS and don't save anything
It's one or the other. If your machine's airgapped then there's really no need to worry about remote exploits.

>when someone think they have....
Holy grammar

react-etc.net/entry/javascript-spectre-meltdown-vulnerability-check-for-browsers

It's a nothing burger.

MIPS was always the shittiest workstation processor family even before it peaked in 1995. Alpha, PA-RISC and SPARC blew it the fuck out every time and the only thing that saved it was the over-engineered hardware and software SGI built around them and its simplicity that made it a good teaching architecture.
Anything's possible, it doesn't mean dick. You could reverse-engineer the fucking x86 instruction set and all of its extensions if you had enough time and money to throw at it, or choose a platform with a future like RISC-V or ARM and build something even better. "posibly" doesn't motivate people to get off of their asses and see around all of the other problems of a '90s dinosaur architecture like MIPS, whose potential on the desktop died with the only company that bothered to stick with it when superior options overshadowed it.

People don't give a shit about potential, they want results. That's why MIPS and pure RISCs in general failed in large systems the first time.

>it doesn't mean dick.
Sure it does. Without it being open a company would need to obtain licensing to do anything with it.

Nobody in the industry cares if ARM gets a dollar for every thousand you make. The lukewarm interest in RISC-V should be enough to tell you that.

Openness doesn't make a shit product better, it doesn't make good products materialize out of nothing, it doesn't attract vendors who wipe their ass with paltry royalties on proven architectures, it doesn't generate significant interest outside of a small but vocal minority of people who treat the technology as a lifestyle rather than a computational tool, the market doesn't want something that can be good, they want something that actually is good from the beginning.

>he market doesn't want something that can be good, they want something that actually is good from the beginning
Such as MIPS

Are you stuck in 1995 or just really desperate for something novel and exciting? MIPS on the desktop is never coming back, the market already rejected it twice.

why would you install a router os on it?

>MIPS on the desktop is never coming back
Maybe for you, my next desktop's going to have a MIPS CPU.

OpenWrt's not a router OS; it's an OS for embedded devices, which fits perfectly with the needs of this handheld.

Dope game