/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: PSA: filter idab.

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended freedom models:
>>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Recommended modern models:
>>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

Why ThinkPad?
>>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/162887293940
ebay.com/itm/152824910215
aliexpress.com/item/Hot-New-Mini-PCI-E-Card-Slot-Expansion-to-USB-2-0-Interface-Adapter-Riser-Card/32531508095.html
geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2871/cat/cat_753.htm
aichi.to/~thinkpad/catalog/
ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-X230-LAPTOP-INTEL-CORE-i7-3520m-2-9ghz-8GB/273060037157?hash=item3f93a58225:g:ldUAAOSwGBhad0UD
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for 15" T series is shit

heads up cum chuggers, that working clone 1080p ips adapter for t420/t430 is back on ebay

ebay.com/itm/162887293940

get @ it if u dare

also this i guess if you a t4x0s soldered cpu-having bitch:
ebay.com/itm/152824910215

4th for X230 herren rasse

Gonna repost from last thread

So I decided to change the thermal paste on my X220 and after putting everything back together and having to troubleshoot a real time clock error everything boots up fine except it's not detecting my wifi card at all. Tried reseating it in the PCIe slot and reinstalling drivers but nothing. I took the wifi card out from my X61t and inserted it in only to get an unauthorized network card message but that probably means the PCIe slot is fine. Really not sure how I fucked the card up other than using a magnetic screw driver. If I buy a new card and the same problem happens then I'll just have to get a USB one which sucks.

Someone recommended that I move the antennas around since apparently they get worn out after awhile. Didn't have much luck with that and hoping that the black or grey wires didn't get damaged from the disassembly. If that's the case is it easy to repair? Anyways I ordered a N6300 card so hopefully it's just the card itself that's fucked.

How hard is it to install Libreboot on an X230t?

can't be done

That's one way to do it.

somehow I never thought of this, that's pretty cool actually

You can't libreboot anything newer than XX00 thinkpads (X200, T400 etc)
You can install coreboot though

My T61's CPU fan broked, I buyed another fan on Aliexpress but it didn't work.

Do you guys have any idea what problem can be?

Someone knows how to keep the undervolting config without get wiped to default when rebooting in XTU? After some time, it come back to the default offset value and I have to re apply my configuration again. I read that most of the people have this problem too. If someone could solve it, pls help me

Are the x200s still worth it or should I just go with an x220? Will be used for general usage like shitposting, movies, etc

Unless you need libreboot, then no. Zero reason.

There also isn't a reason to get an x220 over an x230, just change the keyboard yourself.

Just bought a t540p, what should I do it aside from ram, ssd, and ips screen?

Also, is glossy worth the extra ten dollars?

Glossy is much brighter, but matte is recommended if you spend time outside in daylight or have shit shining onto your screen.

Guys, Ive got a a22m (Cute), a T60p(salright), and now i just bought a x1 carbon (Modern computer) and i love it. thanks guys. Ive looked at accessories (privacy screens, new battery((I bought used) and the stack stuff.) I use this computer for general browsing and pron and minor gaming, whats some cool stuff i can do with it, without damaging (excessivly over heating) it.

>TLDR; what have you done with your x1?
I got a first gen, maybe in a couple years I could really see myself getting a more modern version.

Awoo!

Where can I find info about other business laptops, like Elitebooks and Latitudes?

Has anyone here tested this?

How difficult is this? Do you just replace the HD(+) cable with the converter board and then install the 1080p LCD?

I heard that there's some issues with flickering or whatnot.

What is the /tpg/ opinion on the A series? I'm interested in upgrading from my current laptop and would like to go for an AMD CPU model. Probably will wait until the A485?

I know nothing about ThinkPads, seeing these threads in the catalog has entered my subconscious and now I want one.

Wait for Raven Ridge APUs etc. Don't get the current ones, they're hot garbage and hilariously outdated. Definitely wait for the A285/A485

You fucking niggers better tell me how to fix the fucking charging port on the x220. Im sick of dealing with this fucking chink lenovo bullshit. I've had two thinkpads break down on me already (Both T series).

Can I upgrade a t450s to a quad-core cpu?

no

Thoughts on E580? Need a laptop for second year of programming. I don't have much money to spend. 1k AUD is about my limit.

DONT BUY ANYHTING THINKPAD, theyre all chinkshit that breaks down.

It seems, that if the settings reset, it's usually due to XTU detecting that you didn't do a "graceful" shutdown. It's some BS, but I haven't encountered too many issues yet on mine, -160mv on an i7 6700HQ.

Also, sometimes it can be momentary issues with the graphics, make sure the IGP is stable as well, since it seems that the core voltage also affects the IGP.

Get a T580, or if you're getting an E580, get it with the 8250U/8350U/8550U, since those are what used to be only i7 MQ/HQ processors.

Note: the i5 U quads both have HT.

All *S model ThinkPads have soldered BGA CPUs. You can't do it unless if you have a reworking station, a lot of time, a microscope, and some mad skills.

Get an E470 instead. They always have deals on them. I got one (max spec) a few months ago for $1050AUD

now I don't know what to do

If your faith is shaken this bad better go back under that rock.

get an A series. (It's basically like T/X, but AMD)
All series other than A/T/X/P/W are complete shit (not talking about pre-2008 models)

It starts at $1050, so it goes just over your budget

Is the Carbon x1 4th gen a good deal?

I need a laptop 1080p+, good battery, ideally lightweight (under 4 lbs)

I got a T41 guis what should I do with it

port and install libreboot to it

for how much?

I'd like to spend less that 700, but if its that worth it I'd go up to 1000.
I am also considering an xps 13

any guides you can point me towards I'm kinda new at this. :(
pls no bully
I saw it at a yard sale for 35 bucks, the old lady just wanted to get rid of it, and thought about Sup Forums, and now I'm here.

do you even solder bro?

Realistically I'd like to spend as little as possible, I could spend my whole tax return on it but I already have a built desktop. I just need a laptop for programming and for travel.

Is there a x220 I can just swap a 1080p IPS display into? I can get a x220 for less than 200$ on ebay

uhh

... not even

You can buy the assembly off eBay or Amazon..

FRU: 04W1680

>I can just swap a 1080p IPS display into
No, but you would only want 1600x900 in that screen size anyway, which I think you can find compatible parts.

Can a t420 or 430 play Oblivion? It's the only game I play and I'm planning on getting a ""new"" laptop.

Does the T440p have a display whitelist like the Tx50 generation does?
I want to install a Chimei TN 1080p panel (correct size and connector type but not one of the panels Lenovo uses).
It would be unfortunate if I couldn't adjust the brightness.

Any guides for maximizing battery life?

Anyone using throttlestop for undervolting?

Yes. I wouldn't count on getting good framerates everywhere, but it will run pretty well.

Cpu is soldered on t420s/t430s ?

Not sure, but I doubt it.

Throttle CPU to lowest frequency (cpufreq-utils)
Lower display brightness

That's about it.

is there a difference between the x280 and x1 other than screen size and battery? doesn't seem worth the $500 difference

X280 uses DDR4
X1 uses DDR3
General components quality is better in the X1 (screen, microphone, speakers, keyboard)
X1 has an SD card reader and NFC

>FHD X220
No unless you find one that already has this mod installed.

There are no screens of that resolution that fit X220/X230

yes

Still looking for old IBM ads like those. Any help? Already have this one and 230Cs.

>blowing 150$ for upgrade
>have degraded battery life
ayy lmao

/TPG/ what are your thoughts on HP ProBook 440 g5?

Quad core i5-8250u
8 GB ram
256 GB SSD
Intel 620 for a GPU

It costs around 700$ in my area.
Not a thinkpad, but business-ish model still.

It's Oblivion. The T420 could struggle but the T430's HD Graphics 4000 is a major upgrade over the T420's HD Graphics 3000. The T430 could even run vanilla Skyrim at comfortable framerates, I was running Skyrim with a SU7300/335M setup.

Alrighty then. I'll go with the t430. They go for around 150 good boy points on eBay so it isn't that bad. I'll also get an extra 4gb of ram, 3rd gen I7, some liion batteries and an SSD. Cheers guys!

Please answer me senpais

Hey guys, salvaged t40 here
Got arch to run again, but some symlinks got fucked and now pacman won't work
Is there really no way I can install a 64bit is on it?
Is there something like a poverty-tier 32bit Debian install?

What should i get, Dell E6230 or a x220/x230, i think the Dell has, a decent keyboard and a 3rd gen CPU,
i dont like the keyboard on a x230 and i dont konow if a Intel HD3000 will keep up the next 3 years... other recomendations?

installed a lot of these for clients, they are below average at best and they are a hell of a lot worse than the old probook/elitebooks.

swapped keyboard for a better condition, UK layout model instead. Was thinking about a new screen but they run about £240 and i struggle to justify that on a machine that cost me £50.

How so?

horrible build quality and stupid design to hinder upgrading them. For example putting more RAM in one requires the entire bottom panel to come off, which is about 12 screws (two hidden) and then carefully unclipping loads of delicate clips around the edge invariably breaking the cheap plastic.

my old thinkpad however, you take 4 screws out, lift the palm rest up and pop the DIMM into place.

install the non-whitelist BIOS phaggot

that came off a bit aggressive. Replace 'phaggot' with 'm8'.

Thank you.
But I was more concerned about specs. I absolutely need at least 8gb of ram and good CPU to handle visual studio plus Rubymine and several sql-studios at the same time. G5 looked like it can pull this off.
Would you be so kind as to provide any recommendations, user?

Get a T440p/540p

>Would you be so kind as to provide any recommendations, user?
ive not bought a new laptop in ages and the last one i did was shit. Look at the buyers guide in the OP and look at the T and X series machines.

Bios flash is needed for another layout ?

nope, just swapped the keyboard, selected the new layout in manjaro's settings menu (inb4 pleb, im sure you could do it in terminal) and away you go!

aliexpress.com/item/Hot-New-Mini-PCI-E-Card-Slot-Expansion-to-USB-2-0-Interface-Adapter-Riser-Card/32531508095.html

These actually work. At least on my W510
t. Totally not a chinkshit shill

What do you do with an internal usb2 port?

Logitech Unifying Recievers fit in perfectly, as does my Lenovo Mouse's reciever

You mean that's for installing the wifi card from my X61t? Or is that what's affecting the card that's already in the system? I don't think that's the case unless it doesn't like the card being taken out at all.

Thanks so why they flash bios for keyboard swapping ?

That's only if you put an old style keyboard on a 30-series

yeah thats for swapping the classic keyboard into the newer ones. Mine was a straight replacement.

Hey /tpg/, got an x200t a few days ago, swapped in a new motherboard with the sl9600 and installed Windows 7 alongside Debian but now I can't find all the Windows drivers again. Lenovo seems to have purged their website of all of them and I can't find them all on Google. Anyone have any links to all the Thinkvantage utilities especially?

download.lenovo.com/eol
Thinkvantage was discontinued iirc.

my nigγa! I ordered one today.
which LCD panel do you recommend?

Thx a bunch!

You obviously don't have, and never had a Thinkpad

>skyrim
O shit, does that mean my X230 can run that too? IIRC the CPUs and shit are the same

Brb trying that

Get the chimei panel.
I think i got mine from laptopscreen.com, as a compatible IPS display. best $40 i've spent.

Here's two sites I got those images from
>geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2871/cat/cat_753.htm
>aichi.to/~thinkpad/catalog/

Theres a small chance that the WiFi card or any antennas are disabled in the bios.

What's going on with the gen5 x1 recalls?

The antennas can be replaced like any other part. They run through the hinges up around the LCD so it's a little bit of a pain, but there's nothing complicated other than unscrewing a lot of things.

What was ThinkVantage? I never bothered to find out why that button is labeled like that.

Raven Ridge please.

The audio plug on my x200s is doing that shit where it only sometimes works depending on how you wiggle the cable of my headphones. Guaranteed not the headphones, they work fine on everything else.
Is that something that I can replace? What is it called?

some shitty bloatware "support" software that came preinstalled with thinkpads. that blue button would launch it.

Where can I find info about other business laptops, like Elitebooks and Latitudes?

ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-X230-LAPTOP-INTEL-CORE-i7-3520m-2-9ghz-8GB/273060037157?hash=item3f93a58225:g:ldUAAOSwGBhad0UD

What do we reckon, will it be a significant upgrade over an i5 x220?

>20% more performant CPU
>50% more performant GPU
>2x USB3 ports
>lower power drain

breddy gud upgrade in my opinion

I have the same question lol. Dell latitudes have backlit keyboards on them too! Sadly nobody on /tpg/ has enough time to compare it to something like a t420

To sticker or not to sticker?

I have a latitude e5250, and I can safely say it's a bag of shite.

I prefer my x220, but that might be because it doesn't have the corporate bloatware that my work dell does.