Is ArchLinux good for a first timer?

Is ArchLinux good for a first timer?
Will be getting a ThinkPad, too.

Other urls found in this thread:

allegro.pl/lenovo-thinkpad-t410-i5-500gb-hdd-8gb-ram-14-1-i7171613101.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

choice of linux distro doesn't matter much unless it's something extreme, like LFS.

they all do the same shit, install the same software and (can) look the same. the only real difference for the end user is what command you type to install software.

Also, cop or not? It's around $150 with shipping.
allegro.pl/lenovo-thinkpad-t410-i5-500gb-hdd-8gb-ram-14-1-i7171613101.html

No, but good luck.

No, it's not. Get simplier distro

No.
It's a shit distro anyways, don't use it.
Use a better distro, such as slackware.
Debian is also OK I guess, only if you remove the apt bloatware though

yes, use i3wm also to complete the best shitpost machine build

I like Manjaro a lot, its derived from arch but is easier to install.

looks good, ty

Yes but no
you'll probably end up doing something retarded like accidentally installing a graphics driver for something that doesnt need it and break your install
and then you'll reinstall or sit in tty2 and wonder what went wrong
manjaro is pretty good though, kde runs fantastic even on this 2010 acer aspire 3820t
use it if you want a pleb install interface and preinstall shitware, or some fedora spin

Use any distro you want except for Gentoo and LFS. Those are only reserved for ironic retards.

if you can read the wiki and follow instructions you'll be fine, if you don't want to do that go with something else. Arch is one of those Sup Forums memes that is actually good tho

It can be. I'm too deep into Debian-based distros, running clean Debian 9 now. I doubt I could go to another distro (typing apt by mistake ten times a day would discourage me).

It's a shit distro honestly.

Get the same sort of experience manually setting up Debian with a DE (setting up xorg, etc) without all of the post-install maintenance involved with arch

get a thinkpad that supports coreboot
flash coreboot and get an ath9k wifi card
install hardened gentoo and somehow port over the unofficial grsec patches to a post-PTI kernel

oh, and don't forget to replace the HDD from a trusted source

just install lubuntu lts
>optionally disable lightdm and use just openbox

Most comfy distro desu.

Personally, I run Antergos on my XPS 13 because I don't have much time to dick around these days.

Dafuq u retards talk archlinux is very modular and all the soft u can install on it is proven and works

Would recommend to try Ubuntu, Antergos or Fedora, in that order.
As for Desktop Environment, KDE and XFCE are imho most friendly for people moving from Windows/OSX. Gnome can be nice when you get used to it's quirks, but would not recommend for a first timer.

no, get ubuntu and get ready to cut the battery life in half having less then 3 hours of autonomy thus making your "notebook" pretty useless

thanks Sup Forums

no, just get ubuntu or mint, nothing wrong with them (actually yes, but you won't bother)

Arch is a good distro if you're willing to put in time to read documentation. It's the distro I picked back in 2015 when I decided to switch to GNU/Linux as my main operating system, and I stuck with it to this day.

That's exactly what I did. Pretty smooth, but there's a lot of .config files to sort out and general small bugs you need to fix.

But I did more as a hobby project, I was prepared for my laptop to be unusable for a while while I edited my shit.

I have a powerful battlestation so I don't care, I'm willing to try out many distros if necessary.

/thread