I am tired of this

I am tired of this.
Used Arch for over a year now. I love everything about it, it got good package manager, updates are fast, AUR, Wiki, Forum all are great but I have had enough. Now it started to freeze all of sudden, memory suddenly comes around 90% without anything heavy program and its slow as shit basically.
What good distro Sup Forums suggests that have good package manager and maybe updates are quick?
No *ubuntu related distros pls
>inb4 gentoo, that's for gay autistic soyboy who have to prove they are "man" to other gay autistic soyboys

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/linux-ck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Maybe you should get more RAM

I will after this guarentee period expires (which is about 3 months after).

Gentoo is unironically good though. The people shitposting about it don't probably even use it.

also, it freezes even when there is 2 GB empty

Are you implying that adding RAM to your system might void a warranty or something?

Gentoo is awesome until you realize you didn't include support for that one thing that you end up needing or when you realize packages randomly don't build with your USE flags and you end up in hell.

but I don't have good internet up here neither the time to download all the shit and compile

Yeah, I asked the sales office, they said, opening laptop will void the warranty.

>I love everything about it
And that's a reason to switch after 1 tiny setback? Weak faggot.

Well, I can't use a OS that freezes all the time? Everything completely freezes all of sudden, no matter what dm I use (even when no program is open)

Do you actually believe the freezes are Arch’s fault?

just make a swap file lol

Then do a re-install mate, if it still happens maybe check out Fedora Rawhide or openSUSE Tumbleweed. But still, you should get more RAM and/or use more lightweight programs.

What else then?
I have tried everything I could. I removed all the bloat I don't need, changed the DEs, Even Tried i3wm once, nothing changed, it still freezes.

I have 8GB of swap, arch uses it barely. Either I fucked up on installation or arch does this by itself.

I went full minimal once, nothing changed. So, I settled back to regular programs since minimal just made my work harder.
Also, thanks for suggestion. Will try re-install. Just need to backup what I have to somewhere else.

just use antergos man its literally all the upside of arch with the only downside being a prestige loss among autists

>has arch
>just use arch with a GUI installer lol

just stop it

>What else then?
Have you tried looking into what is actually using all the memory? Have you seen if you have some strange swappiness value?

A true Arch™ user would relish the opportunity to fix a broken system

It has shitty defaults, too much to remove and re add, I would simply re install arch by myself.

When memory is full, its usually DE, XORG and Browser
It freezes even if there is 2-2.5GB empty.

stop sucking so much ass at using arch jesus christ

When you say empty, do you mean free as in fully unused or cached?

You can have memory available but still be using all of it which can cause swapping

OP you seem to have two graphics drivers installed any reason for that?

Intel is embedded driver I guess, AMD comes labeled.
Even windows 10 (which it comes pre-installed has intel graphics and AMD drivers installed. I have no idea of it when i installed or anything, so I just left it at it is.)

Empty as in fully unused. Just after reboot, it starts to freeze randomly. Sometime it works good, few seconds after, even mouse cursor stops responding.

ugh

did u checked dmesg to see if it has any errors during those times?

Salix

Just use Fedora, I was sick of everything breaking too and I've had no issues. Been using it since Fedora 20.

Is it a full freeze or temporarily freeze? Because if it is the latter, it might be X.org locking up. A different scheduler could fix that.

I think I checked that once months ago, didn't found anything suspicious error. Just "error
failed to remove key (1, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) from hardware (-22)", which shows till day.

hmm, well I can say I have not had this problem with Red Star OS.

It's a temporary freeze, lasts 5-6 seconds and back to normal again, since past week, its frequency increased to almost every minute.

I have had this issue, it's caused by a too high load on the system. Try installing: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/linux-ck
and set the BFQ I/O scheduler as default.

?? Am I dreaming or someone is talking about Salix the magnificent on Sup Forums?

its obvious user doesnt knowv what he is doing with linux and should just swap back to the windows kiddie pool he belongs in

Why not Gentoo?

openpepe

Thanks, will look into it.

Why, what's wrong with it? (Except their shitty website?)

downloading it, let's see what happens.

please see the reason I am in Linux is because I hate windows? Why you even reply like this user?

because if you knew what you were doing you wouldnt be having this problem

Well, I like to test new things. What's wrong with that?

Debian
I'd use debian if it
Just worked
But it doesn't so I use neon

nothing

if you can figure it out

you clearly cant stop arguing and just accept you need to run windows or an easier distro

I installed arch as an time pass, used it for a week, liked it better than others, so I kept. Now, problems arise.
I started this thread so that I want to either solve this problem or switch to other distro.
>What good distro Sup Forums suggests that have good package manager and maybe updates are quick?
I am searching for recommendations. Have any?

crunchbang its based on debian

>Latest release: 11 20130506 (Waldorf) / 6 May 2013; 4 years ago

>my arch is eatin all the ram
-running DE built with applets using javascript

welp then just install debian i guess i dont know you wont take distros based on arch so the only other options are really debian based or ubuntu based

>I have tried everything I could.
Clearly you didn't. All you did was change DEs though, which would do absolutely nothing because they're all still running on the same display server, on the same DDX driver, on the same kernel, on the same hardware.
Again, how is this a distro-related problem?

your hdd are probably dying

I had the same problem on ubuntu installation. Tried eveerything. After a week or so my hdd gave out. Backup your data and swap out your hdd.

God, we had passes since 2012?

Wow Red Star OS is pretty comfy

Gentoo is great, install Calculate Linux if you don't want to deal with the install

Alternatively install Debian 9, immediately remove systemd, then switch to testing

Void Linux so you can avoid systemd

If you want a really amazing package manager gentoo unironically is for you. Portage is godlike, there are ebuilds for every free application on this earth. Probably not the right thing on a laptop, but amazing on stronger hardware.

>over a year
>screenfetch clearly states 6hours, 11mins.

this desu. his system is severely underpowered by today's standards.

If RAM or a new computer is somehow unaffordable to you and you want to take advantage of the resources that GNU/Linux saves you on older hardware, I would recommend a lighter DE. Get rid of Cinnamon and try LXDE or XFCE or something that your system can handle better. That or you can try the gentoo meme if you fancy compiling everything.

GuixSD, Gentoo, Parabola OpenRC

debian
arch linux is a meme distro. it's always sucked but at least when it sucked before it was simple. now it's bloated, complicated, and still sucks. if you like systemd then debian is a better version of arch. otherwise use devuan which is mostly just debian with sysv init and daemon scripts.

>Alternatively install Debian 9, immediately remove systemd, then switch to testing
Or install something without systemd and old packages in the first place.

I bet it's systemd doing something stupid. Switch to Artix which is arch with openrc.

There's only one viable choice.