What is "compiling"?

What is "compiling"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/p7WFyG6T4Qg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you see, when the developer and the computer are in love...

linking and binding source files into a binary file

Converting American to 1s and 0s

It's a shame Kiernan didn't go lewd once she turned 18

There's a very small man living in the CPU that reads your code, laughs at your terrible algorythm implementations, and translates everything by hand into 10101001110100101001010etc, so that no one else will be able to read your shitty code and you will be safe from the shame of being ridiculed by everyone.

Say thanks to the little CPU man.

Thanks little CPU man

I think it's good actually. She's just a pretty little girl as I can see.
Thx for the name anyway.

Oh, please, continue...

I don't know
I am using Python btw.

No, no, please don't look at me like that, honey... I'm your friend!

Converting the shitty language you typed on the screen on actual instructions that the PC can follow.

me on the right

thx little cpu man

thanks little CPU man

who is grill

ur mum

Kiernan Shipka.
The sweetest girl on Earth, also my future wife.

;__; time for an incestuous fap

Also the new Sabrina the teenage Witch.

>sally draper
muh dik

that's a solid obsession right there. good luck with your stalking and all.

Thank you!

ty homosex little cpu man

To simplify it, it's kinda like your computer eating a piece of food, digesting it and turning it to shit for a person that only eats shit to eat it and give you some sort of answer or maybe no answer, made he just eats the the shit forever.

Thanks little CPU man, I hope my code isn't that horrible.

It is. Most languages wouldn't even let you write good code by his standards.

A compiler is a tool you use to trasnform a language into another. Normally, you turn high level languages into assembly code, then the assembler changes every instruction into machine code (0s and 1s), resulting in a binary file.

also, the high level language MUST be a formal language without ambiguity or your compiler won't be able to decide which program to build.

Why not just code everything in assembly? Honest question

because it takes forever to make anything useful with low level programming

Thanks, little CPU man

time consuming, tedious, unmaintainable. then at the end of the day you probably did a worse job than the compiler would have.

Good question.
First, create a simple Hello World program in Java or something.
Then, create a program that does the exact same thing in assembly.
I think you'll understand.

when a cute webm girl winks a you a bit of com piles up behind you're balls.

but why is it "better" to compile your programs like in gentoo, compared to other distros?

what made her make that face. did some guy say something perverted to her?

shit i meant this

Nope. She's just gonna lead it.
youtu.be/p7WFyG6T4Qg

she kind of looks like louis ck

>translates everything by hand into 10101001110100101001010etc
Everything is already 0 and 1 even if it's a shitty algorythm right?

lucy's qt

thx lil cpu man

oh Sup Forums u so crazy

most compilers target machine code, not the assembly. something akin to assembly may be used as an IL, but it usually includes additional information to aid the compilation process (and can be much higher level than assembly too)

programming language's grammars may be ambiguous, see C++

Compiling in other distros is fine too. Gentoo is designed so that ALL your packages are compiled. That is, when you download and install new software on gentoo, you're actually downloading the source code and your computer compiles it locally. This allows you set certain flags on your own machine to effects how the program is compiled. For example, you could enable more optimizations, or disable features in the software that you don't need. In contrast, in a distro like Debian, when you install a package you're generally downloading a pre-compiled program. The developers and maintainers compile the source code on *their* computers. Most of the time this is not an issue, but Gentoo users like the control and flexibility that compiling locally offers.

Posts like this remind me how many of you are creepy virgins.

And yet it's you who is the loser.

ty l'cpu man

>has whole folder dedicated to celebrity girl
>"you're the loser"
Lol, just lol... Get a life.

It does this.

stop projecting your issues on me please

>"ib i poast mor it mak my poient strongar"

yep, sounds just like you

Because of Every chip and system model can have slightly different instruction sets and ways that they implement them, so you'd have to write the program again every time a chip manufacturer changes anything. Maintenance would also be a nightmare, because a single errant bit could break the whole thing, and it'd be almost impossible to find without computer aid in the sea of 0s and 1s in any program of more than a few dozen kilobytes of complexity.

Writing programs in a standardized way that can then be converted as necessary into the binary equivalent for specific systems means you only have to write a given program once, and a translation program for each chip model once, after which you can simply compile anything that's already been written in the language, rather than having to rewrite it by hand for that chip's specs.

Once you're at the point where you need to translate code anyway, a high-level language that's easier for humans to read and understand allows programmers to spend more of their time thinking in algorithmic terms, helps them avoid using peculiar behavior on specific systems to make their programs work, increasing portability, and makes it easier to spot and fix errors, reducing the effort needed to maintain the code as computer technology and other software advance.

In essence, compilers are an easy way to make computer programs more modular, maintainable, and adaptable, in many of the same ways that replaceable, standardized parts achieve that goal in the various stripes of structural and mechanical engineering.

I have no idea what compiling is or does sorry.

You don't belong here

Shipka was born in Chicago, Illinois, to John Young Shipka, a real estate developer, and to Erin Ann (née Brennan).[2][3][4] She has a sister. She has been taking ballroom dancing classes since the age of five.[5] Her family relocated to Los Angeles, California, when she was six to support her acting career.[3]

My Jewdar is off the charts

Compiling is a way of unfucking the layers of libraries and euphemisms in the towering clusterfuck of an interface we use to make programming possible for anyone but autistic savants.

Fuck you, my CPU has a little anime girl in it.