016 is the year that death decided to flip us the middle finger and take the lives of the world's greatest musicians...

016 is the year that death decided to flip us the middle finger and take the lives of the world's greatest musicians. I thought that it was amazing to see the world come together for Bowie's passing. And now, we are back here three months later because Prince is no longer with us. It hurts, it really hurts. Knowing that my idols, my heroes, the people I looked up to as a kid are gone is painful. But the one good thing it does is get people talking, we share a close bond now because of someone we were inspired by.

Rest in Peace Prince.

I'm a fan of both, but this post is embarrassing.

Thank god prince died, he was such a whiny bitch regarding Araki.

So let's go into his best album (both objectively speaking, based on the RYM chart and personally speaking) Purple Rain. The soundtrack to the movie of the same name. The film itself is rather cheesy, and works better as a bunch of music videos loosely connected by a cliche plot. But the music? THAT there is transcendent. From the opening sermon that kicks off "Let's Go Crazy" to the explosive finale of the title track. It is rare that an album barely has any issues whatsoever. There is not a single song that isn't fantastic. It is in my top 3 for a reason. And if we're talking singular songs, "Purple Rain" is my favorite song of all time (with "When Doves Cry" being in my top 10). And that's not for nothing. It starts out with a gently played guitar before some synthetic drums kick in. Prince lays his heart bare on this song. Speaking on his father, Apollonia and his bandmates, before a phenomenal solo kicks in with Prince's vocals soaring over the orchestration.

I agree. Fuck Prince 2bh

This albums is soaked in the 80's sound, yet remains so timeless. A song like "When Doves Cry" should sound dated had it been anyone else aside from Prince, but it isn't at all. Why is that? Well, I'd like to believe that Prince finds the right balance between live instrumentation and synthesizers. Each song is produced masterfully, Prince's vocals are always clear. The lyrics on here fit the concept of the film, but can be enjoyed even if you've never seen the movie (the same can be said for Curtis Mayfield's Superfly).

As far as Prince's later work, while he released 39 albums in his lifetime. I can only say I've listened to about half of them. But I feel comfortable in saying this (alongside Sign "" the Times) is his best work. But I'd say pretty much all of his 80's work is worth listening to. Prince always made albums that were uniquely his.

Much like Bowie, Prince inspired me as a music listener. Because his music always felt larger than life. And he was consistently releasing it. I never thought that Prince had a sellout phase or any moment that he compromised his sound. It always felt like Prince had such a huge love for music, an passion that was never quenched and always trying to push himself even more. Every groove felt like he crafted it himself, every solo felt like he dedicated so much time to. His music was pure gold. Even though it was hard to get. When I did listen to it, I always treasured it more. The fact that the music industry has been hit with so many blows is sad. But the fact we had to lose another music god is depressing. I want to thank Prince for all the quality music he's released and always putting 100% into his music. You will be missed Purple One.

Rest in Peace Prince.

How comes nobody loves Around The World In A Day as much as I do?
I consider Sign O' The Times to be his best, but I will almost always prefer listening to the former. Temptation is kind of Prince's anthem (besides for Purple Rain I guess...).

>How comes nobody loves Around The World In A Day as much as I do?

Because it came out right after Purple Rain and everyone was like aw hell no

But it's his best pop album after all.

I think think Around the World in A Day is much better than Sign O The Times t-b-h.

Why are you copy/pasting this stuff OP? I don't understand.

#
I think think Around the World in A Day is much better than Sign O The Times t-b-h.

(OP) #
Why are you copy/pasting this stuff OP? I don't understand.

>he was such a whiny bitch regarding Araki
what?

Avant...

what's an "Araki"?

XD

Araki?

This album gets amazing critical acclaim, why does no one talk about it?

idk

mfw everyone from the original Black Sabbath is still alive

feels good

i feel like a loser for recognizing this immediately

Is it one of those crappy r&b/hip-hop-tinged ones? Why did Prince have to get into that stuff. He did so well in the 80's.

who is it? i'm guessing some rym'er.

>tfw Bruce Dickinson survived Tongue Cancer
Dude dodged a bullet.

Are there actually MORE notable music-related deaths this year than in previous years? The truth is, famous people are always dropping dead, to various degrees of media attention.

In the 1970's, people also thought that celebrities were dropping "in droves." Bing Crosby and Elvis Presley dropped dead within a few weeks of each other, along with Maria Callas, Marc Bolan of T. Rex, and others I can't recall.

But that's just how things work.

shut the fuck up fedora-lord.