Who else fell corn the netbook meme?

*for

I also like corn. It's pretty good with a little salt and butter.

>corn

I can't wait for summer.

Knee-high by the 4th of july!

ONLY like corn on the corn

Hello fellow Ohioan

I happen to love my netbook, but corn on the other hand...

How do you even managed to get one of these in the year of good lord 2018

I can't find any modern netbooks that don't solely run ChromeOS. Shit sucks.

>corn

I bought an eeePC back when they were new. 1.6GHz single core Atom, 1GB of RAM, 8.9" screen, 16GB SSD. I installed Windows FLP and it was great.

I picked up an Acer Aspire One for like $10 from a guy a few months back, same specs but with a 10" screen and a 160GB mechanical hard drive and it feels slow as shit. Not sure if it's the drive, or if that level of hardware was always bog fucking slow and I was just used to it back then (probably both).

I installed Xubuntu on it for kicks and it's completely unusable. The CPU is pegged at 100% usage pretty much consistently, and having 1GB of RAM means constantly swapping data to a 5400RPM hard drive so this fucker is slower than molasses going uphill in January with crutches. I put it in my closet and there it sits, when I need to use a laptop I have muh Thinkpad.

I'd love to have a modern laptop with an 8.9" or 10" screen and a physical keyboard, but shitty tablets killed that idea.

>Gateway

Got one of these recently. It uses the super low power 1.6GHz single core Atom. I put a minimal Debian installation on it and surprisingly it runs just fine, it doesn't even touch the swap so I don't know what did wrong. Of course you can't expect miracles since this is decade old hardware, still does light multitasking though.

>Little Detroit
I kek'd

can confirm the eeePCs are top tier for old technology if built right. I have two 701. Both have 900mhz cpus, 4gb solid state HDs and 1gb ram. One is setup with full XP Pro. The other runs Windows 7 (tiny7). both run good unless a user expects modern multicore performance. Besides turning off unneeded background services running low video resolution also helps speed these eeePCs up especially if using an external monitor. 800x600 works best. 1024 x 768 is all right. Higher then that and they start to slow down considerably.

> SSD feels faster than a 5400RPM hard drive

No shit. Odds are you're hitting the swap file and not even noticing it. Alternately your minimal Debian install probably has a lower footprint than out of the box Xubuntu does these days.

I didn't mention if I had an SSD or an HDD, it has an HDD. I have been monitoring the memory usage and my swap file. With Firefox open I still have about half of my RAM free.

No it doesn't. That's a 900 series, it has a minipci SSD.

It's Eee 1000H which looks identical to 1000, the H means it has an HDD instead. The 900 series is pretty similar, I think the batteries for these are interchangeable for example.

The Eeepc 1015pn was arguably the best Asus ever made desu.

>Atom dual core with HT
>Nvidia Ion 2 GPU(basically a GT 305)

I miss the days of my 900HA being my main PC.

Ram and xubuntu....

Imagine being at computers, so fat you look and see corn

>corn
Mobilefag confirmed

I didn't fall for any memes but I do have netbooks. My IdeaPad S10 stopped working so I recently picked up an X120e

I have a HP Mini 311, it's quite an odd little footnote in netbook history because it sports the Nvidia ION gpu aka 9400M. As a result it has relatively shitty battery life AND shitty performance. (and it's an HP)

so yeah, I really fell for the "worst of all worlds" meme on that one.. it did run some old games decently due to have a GPU but the tradeoff in size is so not worth it.. my x220 is only a little bigger and so much better in every way.

Netbooks were great for their time, but by now they are simply too old to use, they're kind of heavy for their small size and their performance is shit. You're better off getting an old x230 thinkpad or installing linux on a cheap samsung chromebook. Both are about as lightweight as the thinkpads but a bit larger physically.

I really miss the size factor though. I especially the slightly custom ones with big speakers from my teenage years. Those were very popular among the "ung pirat" youth organization for the pirate party. Lots of free music being played by free software.