It's been 2 hours now... Is Linux really different?

It's been 2 hours now... Is Linux really different?
What's a good linux OS to install?

Other urls found in this thread:

zorinos.com/download/12/lite/64/
mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/stable/18.3/linuxmint-18.3-kde-64bit.iso
torrent.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/xenial/release/desktop/xubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent
sourceforge.net/projects/chaletos/files/ChaletOS16.04/chaletos-16042-amd64.iso/download
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>apt-get update all
>6hrs later
>still updating
sure shit will work faster on better hardware, but looking at your setup its gona be shit no matter what you do.

install slackware

What's wrong with my setup, I have the newest athlon cpu processor and an AMD card.

There have been only 10 updates since the last major Windows 10 release and they are all cumulative.

This is 8.1

For noobs i recommend ubuntu based distros or linux mint ones.

Well there's your problem.

Ins't the "newest" Athlon from 2010?

Err I bought it a week ago. athlon x4 845.

There's nothing wrong with your setup, he's a Microsoft shill. Updates are a lot less painful on Linux, you aren't forced to restart and it can update things in the background while you do your work.

2014 then.

Also you can pause them and continue later. There's just no comparison.

So what is the representative linux OS? I just need a c/c++ ide that looks like visual studio and compiles code in one keypress.

>you aren't forced to restart
Unless it's, you know, a kernel update, the same thing that requires a restart on Windows.

Just try whatever distro on USB. This is what I'm doing.

I had worse setup than his and it never took very long to update Ubuntu. And even if it DOES take long, Linux doesn't lock up the entire computer while updating.

Not really forced to restart. You can restart whenever you want after a kernel update.

So just like on Windows?

>gnome

You still aren't *forced*. You can keep running the old kernel until you decide to restart. Windows 10 will put a gun to your head and tell you to fuck whatever you're doing, it'll restart in 10 minutes.

It's different. I'm not going to say that it's necessarily BETTER, but that's never an issue with Linux. Any ISO you download is going to be a few months out of date at most, not a few years.

No, windows can only update while restarting. Linux will update its kernel, it just won't be loaded until your next boot.

Budgie, to be specific. Just want to see what the RAM usage is like. It's terrible :(

Windows will force you if you postpone it enough times.

So generally speaking, what is the windows 7 of Linux?

Outdated but works? Debian I guess.

This too. Linux updates everything in the background, so when you restart everything has been already done. Windows starts doing it after you restart and won't let you use your computer until it's done.

On Home edition and with default settings maybe.
I'm not even getting any notifications. I restart when I feel like restarting.

I'm thinking more "set up once, runs forever; minimalistic, yet has full support for anything you want"

slackware

Ubuntu is a good distro. Probably the best experience out of the box.

Debian is better but can be harder to setup.

ubuntu server as a desktop OS is comfy as fuck.

Dude the last news update on the slackware website is from 2016

>Linux updates everything in the background
And If something goes wrong while apt is installing a library package chances are that you're going to end up with an unusable system whereas Windows will roll back and try again.

Ubuntu as a taster.

As you get more experienced maybe switch to Debian for something a bit more stable seeing as Ubuntu is based on it anyway, it's just that it's a bit more work getting proprietary drivers and patented codecs etc on.

Manjaro is also good, and I find that Korora has a nice comfy setup. Both are good alternatives to Arch and Fedora respectively that don't need you to spend days tweaking.

"dude" windows 7 came out in 2009

>is it really different
Pick one:
zorinos.com/download/12/lite/64/
mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/stable/18.3/linuxmint-18.3-kde-64bit.iso
torrent.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/xenial/release/desktop/xubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent
sourceforge.net/projects/chaletos/files/ChaletOS16.04/chaletos-16042-amd64.iso/download

I still get updates tho

> It's been 2 hours now... Is Linux really different?
It's the same when I do apt-get dist-upgrade, however it happens once in a few years.

on slackware you can still install updates-just like any other distro, it's basically just a collection of packages, and "updating" is just updating the packages

That isn't a windows vs linux issue its a package manager issue

Guix the package manager can roll back and have multi library versions
any distro can use it

>What's a good linux OS to install?
KDE Neon is a good distro for people moving away from Windows.

There is only one

"You need to install a third party application to do X in Windows" now coming to a Linux near you.

Linux updates are checked for equally fast, but downloaded and applied significantly faster. Non-kernel updates will not even require a reboot.

>KDE
Ew..
They're trying to escape slow compositing and needless dependencies.

In terms of updates: yes it is. Updating or installing a new system is basically the same process, that is not bad though, as it will mostly depend on your network speed. The unpacking is usually really fast. You can install Linux Mint or Ubuntu in 10 minutes.

In terms of everything else: depends, probably yes. Desktop linux is different to Win because the components are not made by one company. Everything is developed independently. Example: your system will probably run systemd which comes from the folks at Red Hat, but almost all linux distros use it.You will probably have the coreutils which come from the GNU folks. And so on...

That is why it is called a distribution. They do not make most of the software, they distribute it.

Desktop linux has its downsides. Windows in my opinion is a downside. Windows is a clusterfuck. Linux is a step in the right direction, it is not perfect however.

Why is it worse? Depends. Mostly because people can't run their pirated photoshop, Office 20XX or 'muh games' (or other [niche] software).

GNU is the OS
Linux provides drivers via the kernel.
package managers are userspace utilities.
now please go be a brainlet elsewhere lad

Nothing you said has anything to do with the post you replied to.

install alpine
your computer is less powerful than a router kek

linux would be different because the updates are a lot less complicated than windows'. on alpine it basically just unpacks the archives, other distros may also run some scripts for some packages but that's still way faster than windows' way
>needing a reboot for kernel updates

at least you can still browse web and use linux while its updating

My computer is fine bro, can play any game or render all day.

>Everything is developed independently. Example: your system will probably run systemd which comes from the folks at Red Hat, but almost all linux distros use it.You will probably have the coreutils which come from the GNU folks.
That leads to crap expirience overall since releases not synced and integration bugs almost everywhere. Fuck it.

It actually leads to users running a year old version of the software because nobody managed to figure out how to fix the integration bug.

There's Visual Code, which is technically a text editor but it has a debugger and can use an integrated terminal for compiling code

I've tried that and it is nowhere near single keypres functionality.

I tried Debian once, but didn’t like that I had to log out and log into an admin account if I wanted to run anything as a super user.

The sudo method that Ubuntu and derivatives use seem much better imo.

Personally I run Lubuntu.

Qt Creator, Geany, CodeBlocks

It's irrelevant. All software is independently developed. Even on windows. If you're worried about libraries and dependencies then appimage and flatpak are solutions for user software. System software almost never has issues with these things and when it does it's usually fixed within a day or two. Basically anything that comes from your repositories will work without issues.

apt-get install sudo

A lot of it depends on how you configure bash. All I have to do is type "make [name of program]" into the terminal for compiling in C, and you could probably figure out a way to map that expression to a keypress.

Trips of truth

What about step by step debugging?

Haha, nice story, pal. Everyone who uses linux for more than shitposing and watching anime knows what I am talking about.
Also, most of linux components lack of testing. I.e. on prev. week I had crashes at networkmanager on very basic scenario. And it was on debian stable!

I've used Linux exclusively for several years now and haven't had such issues.
>debian
Okay

Yeah, their debugger is kinda shit in the sense that it has a really steep learning curve and requires a lot of configuration. I mostly write short programs so it doesn't bother me, but I imagine there's an extension for a better debugger

> c/c++ ide
Qt Creator. It's not popular amongst special snowflakes but it's exactly what you need. Don't be confused by the name - it's full featured IDE and doesn't make your binaries depend on qt, it can build non-qt projects as well.

It's not popular because it's bloat and totally unnecessary on Linux. Only reason to get that is if you're on Windows (in which case, switch to Linux anyways) cause it's native support for C is non-existent.

Pls don't saying that I have wrong distro. I am used a lot of distros starting in 2005 from MEPIS, going thru Mandriva, Fedota, SuSe, Arch and dozens of obscure distros. And this shit is everywhere.

This is bullshit. Not that it was not true. It is somewhat true, but exaggerated.

What it actually leads to is many different distributions that have different goals. Want enterprise? Take CentOS/Red Hat. Want latest desktop? Ubuntu. Classical desktop? Mint. Stable and proven? Debian. Small and fast? Alpine. Made for older hardware? One of the many puppies.

Yeah, not really. Mostly, this is by choice. Debian people don't want the edge. Arch users want the edge.

Maybe developed independently, the software for your basic OS however is made by one company: Microsoft. But this was not my point. It just feels different. Windows is fucked up in a very centric way. Linux'ss fuck ups are usually more or less spread wider.

Personally, I much prefer linux. I hate windows. Everything after XP/2003 is unmaintainable IMO. Windows fucked up so much, it is not even funny.

Do you know what is really funny? Windows does not work for normal people without knowledge. They systems will be so fucked up after a few months that even new computers, that came with windows, will be slow and fucking bloated. Updates will take hours, sometimes days, software crashes, the system freezes.

Then they come to me and ask me for help. I repair the system (if it is possible).

I tell them: "Do not fucking install software, please led me do that for you. This is easier for you and me and also in the long term". They will ignore this and come again in a few months.

Then I install linux and it will just work and whenever they have a problem > ssh > run command > done.

For idiots it does not matter, but it matters for those helping the idiots and in that case, linux is so much easier.

It's pretty much the only C++ IDE which can compete with msvs. If you don't like IDEs it doesn't mean IDEs are bloat. Nobody forbids you from writing code in simple text editor. But sometimes people implement more complex things than fizzbuzz and want an actual debugger.

>not using a graphical front-end to gdb
Hurr-durr I guess I'll install five gigabytes worth of bloat so I can have my hand held

Why does every linux fag use the word bloat in terms of disk space in this day and age?

Because it is fucking bloat (if it is true)

No, it's disk space required for functionality. What's bloat is having an IDE and at least one text editor all configured for different tasks but are mutually exclusive.

>It's been 2 hours now... Is Linux really different?
Yea, of course. We just had that with father's PCs - the faster laptop doing the Win10 creator's update vs a potato hardware desktop doing a Mint update.

Mint was done far faster, and it included the application updates, Windows 10 obviously did not. It instead installed some "people" integration bullshit no one needs into the OS.

how can it take 2 hours? kinda fucking potato you running on?

Hard disk often sounds like a muffled electric kettle, maybe that's a problem?

kubuntu

clion
you can also try emacs, I'm sure there's a clang-based autocompletion plugin or something

t. special snowflake

Windows 98.

It's about to explode user. Take cover.

Lol it won't, i've shaken it to be sure there's no pressure inside and it just rattled a bit.

Why would you install automatic updates?
You install security updates manually, that's it.

Oh. LTSB by the way. Not Winshit8. Winshit 10 muh entershit is where it's at.

So Just Like Windows?

It is not required for functionality.

It is bloat because everything is using framework in JIT compiled languages on top of framworks for scripting languages just to get a windows call that will eventually be interpreted in JS. This is exaggerated but fucking true.

Modern software is bloated. It is however not that the developers alone are at fault. It is happening because every generation or iteration of software has to cope with the heritage that once was. (or because idiots write desktop software in JS that will come with its own browser...)

>installing telemetry takes hours

just wtf redmond pajeets do

What's the best rolling release distro that doesn't use systemd?

You could use Gentoo.

Arguably, I'd recommend using systemd, it is good.

Hmm I've tried setting it up before but it took like 6 hours to do and I wasn't able to get the ethernet driver I need to work. I might try again some time, but do you know of something that is easier to set up?

> but it took like 6 hours to do and I wasn't able to get the ethernet driver I need to work
Gentoo doesn't do anything special with Ethernet drivers. Has been ages (around 1998 maybe?) since I ever needed anything not in the kernel for regular ethernet NIC.

But assuming you have more special hardware there, uh, you'd have to consult the individual distro's documentation or configuration files to see if it's already set up. No way for me to tell, and even if you told me what hardware you had I wouldn't feel like doing the job of looking this up for you.

And of course you can find binary distros without systemd with just a search engine. There are whole websites dedicated to that particular topic.

PCLinuxOS

>Ubuntu based distros
>OR mint
Dude...

You're using windoz.

su -l or su -c "command I want to run with args"
Sudo can leave your system to be compromised.

What do you have against systemd? If you're a techie from when sysv was prevalent, you wouldn't be asking such questions. Most people hate it, because it's foreign, and autists hate change.

I think he means the derivatives of ubuntu. Like kubuntu, mint and all that horse-shit. Still though, he probably doesn't know that Debian is based OS.

We'll it's just bigger than it needs to be, and I've heard that some of the code of it is just really retarded

>kubuntu
kill yourself

>update all
Shoo liar