What the fuck is wrong with this piece of shit?

What the fuck is wrong with this piece of shit?

>transfered about 1.5TB of files to it
>now it randomly freezes, specially when watching videos
>task manager says 100% disk usage when it happens
>didn't happen when it was empty
>already tried in another pc, tried another drive of the same model, defragged it, the problem still happen
Surprinsgly I see no one complaining about it on the internet, should I just return it and buy an internal one instead?

buy wd/hitachi/toshiba/samsung

seagate is trash

>Seagate

You asked for this.

>Seagay

lol

I had an internal one and never had problems

>unironically buying c-gay
W E W
E
W

>buys a mechanical disk
>complains when it performs like shit full
Retard.

>seagate
>windows
leave this place, it's not for people like you

Seagate externals are supposed to be pretty good.

Have the same drive. Haven't had problems with it so far

>buying SMR drives (Shingled Magnetic Recording Technology)

isshsygdygidydit

>Surprinsgly I see no one complaining about it on the internet, should I just return it and buy an internal one instead?
People are too embarrassed to complain, they know very well it was their own damn fault.

It must be some ridiculous shit that is happening on my end, even though I tried it with diferent systems/computers and 2 different drives of the same model.
I wish I could pinpoint what it is

if you're not trolling, the symptoms you describe are those of bad sectors

ie, the disk is failing

remove the data from it as soon as you can, the data on the areas with bad sectors will probably be lost

best you can do is run a surface test, know where the bad sectors are and avoid using those areas as not to worsen the condition

get a new disk, avoid seagate, you now know why, avoid WD because of their aggressive parking which leads to premature head fails, best bet for now should be thomson or hitachi if you can still find them before WD carved their teeth on it

meant toshiba instead of thomson, thomson obviously doesn't manufacture HDDs...

Dude I tested it on 2 drives from different sellers, both brand new, it can't be bad sectors.

What do you mean you tested it on two drives?

Thats an external hard drive (enclosure+2.5'' hdd).

What's there to test on different drives?

I bought it and I had this problem, then I returned it and bought the same model from another seller.
The same shit happened, I also tested it on other systems, same thing.

thats why i bought nippon hdd desu

this happens when the drive is physically damaged. I put too much pressure on mine once and this started happening.

It's ogre, lad.

See

bad sectors, use hdtune and do a surface test and clear any doubts you may have, either they're there and it's clear either they're not and you start looking at power issues (usb port/cable lenght/etc...)

just because you got two drives, that doesn't mean those two can't be defective, after all, it's seagate

>just because you got two drives, that doesn't mean those two can't be defective, after all, it's seagate
The odds are really slim though. I'll try to fix it for a few more days, if I fail I will just return it an buy an internal one.

Your problem is probably VLC

Change it to MPC-HC and use default renderer.

See what happens.

PLS report if it helps.

These drives are pretty good. Which firmware you have? if you have 2BA30003 then you're good and it won't break like earlier revisions.

Assuming you are using Windows, download HD Tune and do a surface test, because looks like you got some bad sectors.

Adata it's any better?

you can't fix bad sectors you dumb muppet

every time the heads go through the area you're just asking for the whole disk to fail

at least run hdd regenerator on those sectors, it might work out, otherwise, get you fucking data out of it and get a fucking decent disk you dumb fucking piece of shit

Not same user, but it doesn't matter. Use whatever can run a long / extended SMART test. Shorter tests (short, conveyance, ...) won't cut it.

You can use smartmontools on a Linux live if you don't want to do it on the botnet.

smart tests are meme shit

smart logs data, so it either has data logged or it doesn't

crystaldiskinfo is more than enough to get the smart data

op, download crystaldiskinfo, and post a screenshot of that disk smart data

You fucking idiot.

REGENERATOR IS A MEME, don't install it. Are you crazy?

ARE YOU BLIND? HOW MANY TIMES I WILL HAVE TO SAY ITS NOT BAD SECTORS YOU FUCKING RETARD, BOTH DRIVES ARE BRAND NEW, PIC RELATED

I tested it on different video players, the same shit happen, although with MPC-HC it seems to occur more often.
According to speccy, firmware is SBK2

> hdd regenerator
Why do people still fall for placebo like this?

>odds are really slim though

Not with Seagate. I ain't even memeing ... Seagate really is that bad. Literally, every other HDD is better.

ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID

QUICK SCANS ARE INEFFECTIVE IT'S FUCKING BAD SECTORS, YOUR DESCRIPTION IS ABSOLUTELY COMPLIANT WITH BAD SECTORS BEHAVIOR

>seagate
you reap what you sow

Try a liveboot linux that comes with MPV.

maybe because it works?

got a samsung and a western digital disk that would gladly have a chat with you two porch monkeys...

>smart tests are meme shit
No. It's precisely what you want to find a damaged sector.

> smart logs data, so it either has data logged or it doesn't
That might indicate damaged sectors too, albeit it won't do so in advance.

Faster to just diagnose the whole thing now rather than hit problems one by one.

>n=1
Seagate is KNOWN to be trash.

Most fields seems to have random values, weird.

Will do, doubt it will be any different.

I have the 5TB one and it works fine.

There are just cheapo 2.5" laptop drives, aren't they? If so, they are fucking trash. I've had used 1TB Seagate SSHD and boot time was literally 2 minutes. I switched it for the cheapest 120GB SSD and boot time is now like 12 seconds. Write speeds on the SSHD were around 40MB/s from what I remember, which is fucking slightly better than USB2.0. I assume that SSHD firmware was just utter shit.

if it has damaged sectors it will show up in the smart log, smart tests are only useful to find bad sectors that haven't yet been mapped, by OPs description the sectors have already been discovered and logged, so no use to do tests, a quick look at the smart logs is enough

WOW, first time i see this firmware on this HDD.

Usually it was like this: 2AR10001, 2AR20002 2BA30003 etc.

What does CrystalDisk Info show? I mean smart data and firmware.

Also there is a possibility that you need to turn off the parking of hdd's heads. It's very easy with CrystalDisk Info.

Everytime it wants to buffer the video, HDD goes busy parking it's heads so it causes that 1s lag or latency.

Open Crystal Disk Info, put it to autostart and auto APM adaptation.

Next > Open APM settings and simply turn off the APM. Now watch the Load Unload Cycles in SMART. If it stops parking, the parameter won't change. If for some reason it still keeps parking then enable the APM and change the value of APM to FEh or 254/255. I need to see the value on my hdd because I can't remember.

It MUST help. If it doesn't then you have the right to hang my fucking neck.

sorry for the smart request, finished after you posted it xD

it must help man, these are good drives generally

"seagate sucks" is a meme

rear error rate & seek error rate

those heads are fucked and having trouble moving over the proper sectors (over/undershooting)

drive is failing, no doubt about it, the seek error rate clearly shows it

> maybe because it works?
Maybe because people fall for snake oil all the time when they're in a bad situation.

By OP's description he probably found one or more bad sectors and the repeat crashes could be him finding more, one by one.

yeah, my two drives are still working a couple years later after having bad sectors with all the typical symptoms...

by his crystaldiskinfo screenshot the disk hasn't still exhausted the reserve sectors to remap, yet his heads are clearly fucked, it's just a matter of time till bad sectors start to propagate and exhaust the backups since his description clearly is the drive finding bad sectors

>"seagate sucks" is a meme
Is a meme.

You think that is special? I did jack shit and I still have drives that continue working after some bad sectors popped up.

It's not like this is always a propagating error that results in failure. Failures often can't be predicted anyhow.

Firmware user here

stop seeding bullshit

OP stop listening to these weaboos

read error rate and seek error rate in seagate is constantly growing in perfectly healthy drives - its common knowledge

DRIVE IS HEALTHY YOU DUMBASSES

yeah, when the area riddled with the bad sectors used to be unusable with the dreaded clicking and lagging and it became usable without even having slow downs, yeah it's special

that's why it clearly says that some might be regenerated and some don't, and i had that experience too

The SMART log is clearly fucked showing random values, I wouldn't trust it
Stop forcing this bad sectors shit, its fucking not

Possibly, but I'm not feeling that we can be absolutely sure that the heads are fucked and getting worse.

I'd just try to find more bad sectors now, maybe after backing up the data. Will better show what you're dealing with anyhow - whether the count rises or not beyond what it is now.

[And then in general fuck single drives for anything impotant, have redundancy.]

If you're trying to troll, that's not the way you do it...

First 2,5" 2TB dual platter drive to utilize SMR. This causes high amount of read/write and positioning errors.
Because of that this model has very high failure rate. It's also extremely prone to crash due to minimal distance between the head and platter.
Also even if you got the proper, undamaged unit with newest firmware it will work slowly when you write shit to it and attempt to read it. It's just how SMR works.

you fucking idiot's don't even know how to read the fucking tables...

you brainlets think the raw values are the ones you should consider?

top kek

>you brainlets think the raw values are the ones you should consider?
Yes you retard, look at the values from my other HDD, the external one is clearly fucked showing gibberish.

YOU FUCKING IDIOT I HAD MANY HARD DISK DRIVES IN MY LIFE. IM NOT TALKING BULLSHIT LIKE YOU GUYS.

STOP TROLLING THE OP.

t. hdd professor xDDDDDD AYYYY LMAO

>Stop forcing this bad sectors shit, its fucking not
You don't know even the gist of it without running a SMART long/extended test or equal.

Some quick spot checks don't do the job here regardless if you get 100% or some green squares in a software indicating the quick test ran.

>shitgate
shitgate and wd are absolute crap

Nah, they both make good HDD, and the rate of failure isn't high overall. You just can't rely on drives never failing with either HDD or SSD.

And with how many people operate drives (maybe many) without redundancy, the internet will necessarily be full of complaints.

It will take ages for a full scan, but I will do it anyway and shove it in your face.
Why the fuck those obscure issues only happen to me? It seems like every other piece of hardware I buy I have some issue that no one else have.

OP I've already told you.

DISABLE THE APM and it will be fixed in no time.

Trust me man. I have a shitload of those seagate/samsung drives.

PS: Some specific models were pretty bad.

But good luck finding a manufacturer that never slipped up on cheap bulk storage.

They don't happen only to you.

Also, you don't even *act* like someone who expects issues. It's not even like you got the simple variant of redundant storage (RAID1 or 6 or such, maybe just automatic duplication to another storage).

>SSHD
If you mean "solid state hard disk", I want you slam your face as hard as you can into the nearest wall.

>What the fuck is wrong with this piece of shit?
>Seagate

gee i wonder

Slam every manufacturer 4 years ago who put this shit in every notebook.

>Seagate

Basically every manufacturer has a low percentage rate annual failure on drives.

More if you have portable HDD that people slam into things during operation and the like.

You can't really get around the earlier issue except by cloning data (at the block or file level) automatically on more drives.

A default often practiced is 3 or more copies for any data (more for the one you know is important). Arsepain, but that's reality for you.

It didn't help, sorry.

>WD actually pays for these threads
that's pretty sad

Can't really solve this by taking another manufacturer.

One drive series by a manufacturer has 3% failure rate per year after 5 years, the other 4%, the next 2%... doesn't help you that much (while gambling on 2% is better than on 5% you frankly usually pay for it, plus 2% is still not low enough).

And you only really have decent data some years later anyhow. The way this really works is having more data copies on more drives. Three or five or whatever 5% per-year failure drives failing in the same week is an extremely unlikely event.

Fuck this piece of shit, I'll just return it and buy an internal one

Buy two or more, mirror them.

Stick it into machine with a real os or at least win7. Most likely a win10 issue

I'll boot into linux and see if it happens there too, if so I'll waste no more time with this crap

If it works fine under linux I wonder how will you fix it in win10. Because a lot of people have this issue and apparently nobody figured out how to fix it.

>a lot of people have this issue and apparently nobody figured out how to fix it.
Yeah? Point me where did you find those people then. I googled for it and only found similar issues, but not exactly what I have

Most likely a hardware issue. Every time I heard "it's OS issue" it was always hardware issue. Especially if it's about a spinning magnetic disc of a brand that is known to be shitty for at least 15 years.

It's not about statistics, user. S*a***e just did one shitty move in the past which ruined their image. I won't buy their stuff no matter what after that. You might Google or ask plebbit if your curious.

>this whole thread

The current state of Sup Forums

>S*a***e just did one shitty move in the past which ruined their image
Spoonfeed me, please.

TRUST ME I READ IT ON Sup Forums IM BAAICALLY AN EXPERT