How long until 3d printed houses take off?

How long until 3d printed houses take off?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hempcrete
youtube.com/watch?v=5bW1vuCgEaA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A while.

>forcing your pet shit thing into places that doesn't make any sense
3D printing is pretty much the new dubstep

>3D printed houses
We already have this. It's called modular houses.

Never, there's no reason for it - it'd be slower and more energy consuming than prefabricated housing (built in a factory, erected onsite) and no one even bothers with that outside China. (With the exception of indsutrial buildings, which are quite often made of 'off the shelf' factory built components)

There's Plattenbau (sort of like Lego for concrete buildings), which used to be quite popular in my country.

Prefab houses with printed parts already exist.

What I would be more interested is a house that could fold like origami or (dis)assemble itself from a shipping container size to a small 2- 4 person house.

>Plattenbau
Part of the reason why 3D printing of buildings has no value - we already have better, cheaper solutions.
Precast concrete isn't going to be '3d printed' (or rather maybe you say, a concrete pump , hose and nozzle is a '3d printer'?)

Plain precast is also oldschool - precast, prestressed (with tensioned cable internal to the slab) is the go today.
China builds office and residential towers (upto 90 floors even) in factories, ships everything out to side and can have a ~30 story building complete in under 3 months (from first soil to opening, the actual build is less than 30 days, but the foundations have to cure before you start that)

I mentioned it because it's kinda related to prefab housing, not 3d printed housing.

In non burger countries they all ready plop down some molds insert rebar and just pour straight from the truck . Right now this is more structurally sound and all ready cheap as fuck. Gonna have to be a big swing to make metal and wooden molds more expensive than occupying a large machine for multiple hours to slow pour a house.

Transportation of costs of precast elements from factory to site is sometimes the sole uneconomical reason to not use pre cast

A mobile pre-cast factory aka a precast 3d printer would be wonderful

Are you going to 3D print the plumbing and electric? Can the robot work in wood? Because holy fuck wood is so much cheaper than concrete. Also shingles.

We aren't talking about tree houses, burger.

Except for the days it would take setting up and the amount of different printers you're going to need.

Let me know when you can fabricate a aluminium lined PEX gas pipe.
But then not just a length of pipe, a completed pipe system.

Yes, and fuck wood

> just ship in prefab modules lol

>Uses copper for all piping
I thought you said this was cheaper?

I don't know a lot about pipes myself but basic concrete skeletal system components such as column, beam and slab should be fabricted with ease and with a 1 single printer because they are all nothing but cuboids.

The only thing that needs some thought is stair fabrication and connections between slab elements.

>How long until 3d printed houses take off?
never - too heavy

This lol

>What is rammed earth

>can put up an entire concrete structure in under 24 hours
>doesn’t belong

Wow you’re a real fucktard aren’t you

just print a geodesic dome with an half a mile diameter

Thats not how 3D printed houses would work. There already are bricklaying robots, you place their rail and they move around building the wall as requested.
You print your house out of brick and concrete, not shitty plastic dust.

No, 3d printed concrete will never meet HS requirements.
Additive manufacturing is a meme, its always been a technology that is one breakthrough away from changing the world, and it always will be.
That said, desktop machines are great fun but they are completely useless for anything functional.

We already have those. They just don't use the technology widely. Presumably, because it'd nearly put an entire industry out of work, and there are still kinks to work out as it pertains to making sure the houses are built with proper foundations for the unique land they sit on.
Though I'll be honest, I don't see why they don't just 3D print homes after they do the foundation manually, unless the workers just have that much clout in the industry. The profit to be gained from automating home construction and pushing the sale of more land would have investors salivating, I'd think.

>under 24 hours
that's fucking terrible for something that small retard. And then there's not even windows or doors

boohoo muh buildings don't look like mcmansions

You americans still using lead huh

how do they print the windows

Carpenter here: literally never, houses require too many materials for 3d printed versions of them to be anywhere near plausible much less practical.

you could literally blow up these buildings with all the people in them and the world wouldn't be any different

They house bottom working class,
blow them up and you'd need to substitute them with 'diversity'

Building a house itself from prefab parts is already dirt cheap, most of the price is made up from shit that's much harder to 3D print, e.g. wiring/sewerage/finishing.

Would like to see these things fall apart in a florida hurricane

if only there was some other way to build houses layer by layer that didn't involve pumping concrete for 24 hours

They probably wouldn't so long as a retard didn't design the blueprints.

Why would a single-floor concrete building fall apart in a hurricane?

Building a house that's aerodynamic and light enough to take off is a pretty challenging feat.
But 3d printing would help with building shapes that traditional methods don't allow.

>printing with concrete
That just would not work user. Concrete is too soft and takes too long try dry. You can just print a wall with it

That's a really cool piece of concept art. It sparks my imagination.

They could use this en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hempcrete

I remember reading this article in middle school or early high school, and even then I didn't get why you would want to 3D print a house.

It's a fantasy for lefty weirdos like who are terrified that they may one day have to swing a hammer or depend on someone who swings hammers for a living.

>what is labor cost
>what is automation
>what is cost optimization

>order 3D printed house
>storm with strong gusts pops up
>house fucking flies off
thanks asshole

Houses made from plastic are actually not a bad idea

>hot summer day
>plastic melts

Probably about the same time we get homes that are one-piece aluminum extrusions like we were promised in the '70s

>lefty weirdos like
>lefty
???

its a nightmare for righty wierdos that they may soon be useless and unwanted for their base physical presence because someone builds a better hammer

Plastic is a terrible material for a house. Too light, too flammable, too expensive.

Do you have any idea how loud and smelly that would be?
If someone next door made a 3 story 3d printer and had that shit running nonstop I would go blow it up.
I can tell you, without a doubt, I am not sitting here and listening to and smelling that shit all week.

why?
there's already decent to really good homes out there

Never because mass production is always cheaper. Company A can assemble 100 houses in the same time Company B can do one print job.

They're fire retardant and they're typically filled with concrete. Be a probably talking about the various prefabricated plastic building blocks that are actually just basically casting molds for concrete and rebar inserts. Iirc it's actually more expensive in materials than wood frame but can be pit together quicker and pretty tough. I think they still use wood inside though

You're all making the assumption that plastic is the only material for 3D printing.
It isn't.
Besides, aren't we supposed to be making houses out of soy these days?

>live in Australia
>summertime
>house melts

this is your fault you fucking asshole

yes, i'd love to see my country use all of the fucking plastic over here on fucking housing when we could have just used literally anything else. sounds fantastic to me.

>he doesnt know
There even are plastic tubes that can be used for hot water nowadays old man.

thats just a model, we're talking about doing it large scale in under 24 hours

>this
It's called pex piping you mong

>tfw BPA leeches from the walls and floors of your plastic home

>bedroom smack dab in the middle of the three loudest rooms in the house and right below the bathroom and stairs
Jesus Christ this would be living hell for light sleepers or families/housemates on different work cycles

You're not far right enough. Just eliminate the minimum wage and regulatory price floors. They'll be able to feed a family of 4 working 6 hours a day as an actual lawn jockey for some e-celeb.

There exist modular houses.

These houses are already customisable (i.e. You mass produce centre section A, B, C with lock-ins that range from side-room A...Z). This provides more cost-effective manufacturing and literally hundreds of possible combinations for homes. The issue is transporting these modules down streets.

3D printing homes is more expensive, more time consuming, requires new factories and manufacturing plants and offers no benefit beyond truly customisable homes which may be a very niche market for the super rich. Has anyone even created a small object with a 3D printer that is as complex as a home wall? Just demonstrate on the small scale how you could print a wall up to code, with insulation and everything...

Never.

Enjoy you water leaks.

Enjoy your estrogen soyboy.

>he literally thinks an apartment complex can be 3D printed in 24 hours
>he STILL doesn't understand that now you have a huge mess of windows, plumming, wiring, isolation, floors and so on that needs to be installed manually in a concrete labyrinth
lmao what a fucking retard

duuuude!

Soviet (1930 german plattenbaus) are literally super cheap and can be built less than a month with electricity and plumbing.
Or US-styled wood+drywall+siding. Cheap, and earth-quake resistant, because it is not high and light. Can be built in month or so.
This 3DShit is going to be super expensive and super weak, because you can't make that fast curing concrete robust enough.

Fast curing concrete is even weaker than wood sticks, vinyl, and drywall, which is what 99% of US homes are made out of?

Don't forget that concrete is heavy and quite fragile without steel bars. And I don't know how to insert bars in 3D print.
Wooden US house (or with steel beams) is quite light, that is why materials can be not that strong.

Right, what a lot of you don't know is that concrete needs time to cure. If it cures too fast - loses water too fast - it will develop cracks. And that's only during construction, later on creeping occurs as well. Combine the two and you get wide cracks in your slab or beam, which might not be a load bearing issue, but visually you woulndn't want to be in a room where the ceiling has cracks, would you? That is called serviceabilty limit state and of course there is ultimate limit state. You CAN speed up the curing with additives, but it's expensive af.
Building from concrete and masonry is the best way at the moment. Steel has buckling and cost issues, timber has bio/chemo issues and is getting more and more expensive in countries with less resources.
Don't 3D print your structures, they must be load bearing, however do get creative with interiour design.

We already make buildings out of cardboard, why can't we 3D print them with some kind of mobile cardboard tube rolling machine?

Yes, it is true.
In Moscow subway, there is a station (Bopoбьeвы/Лeнинcкиe Гopы) , that was built in some sort of hurry in winter and they used additives to speed up curing. And after 20+/- years station was closed for reconstruction (because water was flowing, aluminium sheets of decoration were falling down), and trains were running on other bridge I guess...

Concrete is not fragile at all, concrete has huge compression strength, but little to no tensile strength. Hence we add rebars (steel has great tensile strength) to the tension side of the structure. Aka there are more rebars on the underside in the middle of a slab and at the supports (walls for eg,) youll need more at the top of the slab. You could 3D print the texture around a finished rebar net, but then again, why would you do that?

Hm. OK. I don't know much about material properties. Thanks.

Already doing that in China and Russia. Africa will be a price realestate for such 3d printed houses.

Wont happen in US due to very high cost of operating 3d printers.

What if it rains though?

For that design, I would rather just use retired shipping containers.

what people consider "dubstep" wasn't even dubstep, it was aggressive electro that for some reason people started calling dubstep.
real dubstep was never popular.

Why wouldn't you do that?

lmao who the fuck do you think maintains all those machines and 3D printers, kiddo? Sure as fuck isn't soiboys drinking lattes.

>Still requires humans
Nice try.

Probably 10 years. Even then there will be people that insist on paying a premium to have traditional construction.

how do you feel about A-frames?

Never

t Finland

youtube.com/watch?v=5bW1vuCgEaA

Concrete 3d printed houses, with plumbing and wiring, have been demoed for a decade. Sure it isn't ready, you have to use shitty liquid cement if you don't want to clog up your machine, but you are show your ignorance if you think it is a forced meme. Some places have a real shortage of skilled labour for this sort of thing and large industrial structures could really benefit from it.

A better question is how long until we have AI architects?

Like go to "designyourhome.com" and select a style, building materials, number of bedrooms, bath, ect and local building codes. Then robots show up and make it. I only want to see this happen because of the immense butthurt it would generate.

>It’s another episode of automation is taking away jobs and we are moving closer to a cyberpunk dystopia

Not very long. Ever play games with random dungeons? Like Path of Exile? That's basically it. The AI would create random houses with key components in any various amount of combinations

this would crumble in california

>This thread
>OH GOD HORSELESS CARRIAGE WHAT A DUMB IDEA
>WHAT IF ITS BROKE HOW DO YOU FIX IT?
>HORSE WIN AGAIN.
And people said other places in the internet is worst than Sup Forums.

>every idea just works man
>we could have like a machine that like squeezed juice out of organic bags and people would love subscribing to receive weekly juice bags
>I frekin LOVE science

Can you name a process by which the addition of a printer-like apparatus to building construction is superior to human size or smaller robots doing things mostly the same way as humans? Without resorting to magic materials. Because I already have an imaginary sack of beans that grow into houses.

Hempcreet bricks ;)