/ag/ - Audio General

Speakers, amplifiers, dacs, cables and snakeoil.
Last thread reached its limit.

Other urls found in this thread:

troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm
jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series-mkii
van-damme.com/25.html
diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/home-theater-other/tempest-12.html
youtu.be/vM2RGMkqSUs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That kids deaf yo

Edifier S330D for 89$. Should I ?

Thread reported for not being about linux or watches.

That speakers a pedo yo

>don't amplify to me or my daughter ever again

Has anyone had any experience with Woo Audio? Looking into upgrading

whats the point of the spiky feet on speakers? surely the size of the feet wont be a factor when picking up vibrations from the floor

I have around $300 for an Audio Setup for my TV. What should I buy

But audio equipment can also be made in Finland or Switzerland.
The whole theory behind spikes is a infinite weight placed on a infinitely small surface. The whole idea is to lead the vibrations down into the floor. It's better to use damping feet under the speaker instead as the floor wont resonate as much and spikes tend to give the speaker resonances in the higher register.

Seconding

What's a good DAC/Amp for aroung 100€ or less

How's Klipsch sold out? I couldn't respond to the user who mentioned it yesterday

Is it even possible to get anything for that kind of money? Look at the used market, €100 euro is not a lot of money to spend on a amp alone.

Well my Elac Debut F5 s arrived. Like em so far. They prefer solid state. Nice refined sound. Good bass extension. Not sure if they will stay in main hifi, will probably move to computer room to replace boomy Logitech

Also they were damaged in transit. Medium bad chip but quite visible. May try and touch it up. So I should get them for around £200 all in.

Bonus I guess. Though they have little resale now.

Thoughts on pic related? Finding a decent amp with an optional LPF is very difficult.

With $300 I would watch your local buy/sell/trade listings and pick something up older that is used. You will probably have to settle for a 2.1 system.

So what are the go to desk speakers around ~$100-150?

I'm not an audiophile or anything, I got the cheap-ass Logitech z200's and they sound pretty much fine to me, they're just way too quiet.

I just bought these, but it sounds like something is resonating inside the cabinets so I'll be taking them back...

Klipsch promedia 2.1

2 internal woofers with 2 passive radiators wheres one is internal. My brain can't comprehend that speaker design.

There's a port in the front for the passive radiator, but yeah, it's quite a design. I was looking for something that could go low without a huge cabinet, but I think I'll stick to my Transmission Line speakers.

It's a shame, they look really nice.

im still looking for a good preamp to mate with my pass xa30.5 any intelligent suggestions? budget is around 3k

I suggested a PrimaLuna preamp in the last thread. Any thoughts on that?

Edifier R1280T

good? bad?

why don’t you try some passive preamp

What's the best affordable turntable out there?

heres the thing, i dont really see the point of auditioning a preamp if the guy has it in a system that is completely different from mine. im going to guess that anyone who owns one has a all tube setup. if one shows up locally i will go i guess. every passive preamp i've taken a look at either has much too high of an output impedance and would be a mismatch and/or is very expensive aka all of those tvc preamps i've been looking at.

Rega has good reputation.
>heres the thing, i dont really see the point of auditioning a preamp if the guy has it in a system that is completely different from mine. im going to guess that anyone who owns one has a all tube setup
I just thought that a tube preamp would maybe give you the "tube sound" that you wanted. And PrimaLuna seems quite good for their price except the high output impedance on their poweramps
What's the highest output impedance you could consider? I have no clue about the preferred ratio between in and output impedance.

>has much too high of an output impedance
no you don’t understand how transformer or autoformer based attenuator works.
that silversone on pic can be found for apprx 1000$

That is one sexy piece

Anyone who has tested the Pass XA25? Seems to be good value for us who doesn't need a lot of power.

What about the Tannoy Eclipse 3?

Anywhere with good free speaker plans?

troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

Looking at getting into an inexpensive bookshelf speaker setup with pic related, Wharfedale Diamond 220 + Yamaha A-S201. Thoughts?

I don't know anything about the Yamaha, but Wharfedale is a solid choice.
Haven't read anything about low end amplifiers the last 10 years. But back then Yamaha was known for having problems with low impedance, but time changes. NAD, Marantz, Harman/Kardon and Rotel was the shit back then in the budget end.

Don't bother with the 201 it's trash. Step up to a used a-s500 they can be had for the same money.

Any integrated/poweramp recommendation in the

Is this Yamaha CA 410 worth it for $US260 equivalent second hand + maintained?

that's placebo range

Did i fuck up /ag/? Ignore the chair, that's for my racing sim build.

ok I now this is silly, but anything that doesn't look like ass?

You have some valid points but it's still guesswork how it'll really sound in my system. Like I said, the guy would need a similar setup to mine to get an accurate idea of what the amp is going to perform. If his system is significantly different, like he's using a tube amp, it's going to sound completely different in mine as opposed to his. I wasn't clear but anything I want to buy needs to be available for a local audition.
Oh and that primaluna preamp ain't cheap, even used. I believe around 2.5-3k cad used. It's a bit of a gamble to blind buy it imo.
You're probably right. Maybe this 1:10 ratio stuff I've been reading is audiophoolery? I need to learn more... I'm going to write up an email tonight to pass labs and ask them what the relation between output impedance of my source and preamp should be.

I'm really curious what the differences between the xa30.5 and xa30.8 are with the xa25.

Look at used dartzeel, boulder, or audio research amps. With that much money I would get a used pair of high end speakers. Wilsons, Vandersteen, vintage Jbl and Vovatix would all be good. Maybe KEF reference 3/5.

Need a recommendation for a headphone/speaker amp (headphone out on front, binding posts on back), preferably under 100 dollars. Just using it to power some bookshelf speakers at low volumes, but higher power is always better

>Under 100 dollars
Tough. Try SMSL AD18 or increase your budget to 150 to get an Onkyo receiver.

It's gotta be pretty small, probably D or T class

I can't think of anything else. Hopefully someone else can help you.

i need desktop speakers have around $150

is klipsch pro media the only rational choice:?

Pretty much senpai.

do they have an input so i can plug headphones in and make them act as an amp when i want to

Get powered Mica.

>pair of high end speakers
>Wilsons
>Vandersteen
>vintage Jbl and Vovatix
>KEF reference 3/5.

Anyone here knows what are the differences between the LSR305 and the MKII version ?
I can't seem to find any comparison between both and I don't know which one to buy. MKII is more expensive so it'd be nice to know if they're worth the cost.

Don't know if you saw this, but here's some marketing wank on what's supposed to be different.
jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series-mkii

The marketing wank doesn't really help. Guess I'll just grab the LSR305 and hope they didn't make them magically 10x better.

Well yes, of course that it's guesswork. Even if you meet a guy with a similar setup, the room will differ so it will sound different anyway. And trusting a persons word is not safe either, they could lack experience or be biased and thus giving a inaccurate description.
XA25 seems to have less output transformers and from measurements it looks to perform better

Can recommend probably best bang for buck speaker cable

Van Damme LC-OFC cable - long crystal oxygen free copper
van-damme.com/25.html

I wouldn't expect any less from a cable with that name.

or mogami

OFC but not LC-OFC.
There is another copper type only made in japan but crazy expensive and hard to find as braided - OCC (Ohno continuous cast, basically single uninterrupted copper crystals for most length of the wire)

Neotech is cheapest pc-occ cable

Those boxes don't have enough volume for the speakers themselves,especially for 2 subwoofers that size.

and furutech FS-α is also pc-occ

this amp looks very nice. only thing I dont like is there is no balanced inputs but who don't need balanced inputs thats ok

The amp is not balanced so there's no real reason to have balanced inputs.

What does Sup Forums think of diy speakers and in particular diysoundgroup's speakers?

I like the open source speaker design concept where all specifications are shared and vetted by enthusiasts and engineers.

I'm thinking about a pair of these because I have the tools needed to complete and finish the cabinets and I like the design focus on fidelity and efficiency without a fuck given about how crazy it would be to have such huge speakers in a room.

diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/home-theater-other/tempest-12.html

Primary purpose of balanced connection is when you need to run long cables. Amplifier by itself doesn't need to have balanced topology. In the past it was used mostly in professional studio equipment

ah so i guess thats a difference between the xa25 and the 30.5

There are more differences than that. XA25 only uses 2 transistors per channel and seems to have lower gain.

is it an inferior amp? whats the msrp of it?
i tried to google info about it and didn't really find anything or comparisons between the two.to be honest didnt even know the xa25 existed.

nvm found the stereophile review of it

I dont know if you guys have tried but it is easy to build your own stuff. I just built a martysub with a dayton 18 that blows an SVS out of the water for about 250$. 13ft cubes and it is hitting 110db at 25hz with only 100watts. It moves furniture. Also built one at 5 cubes with a cerwin vega 15 (old) with a 100watt amp that makes your hair move.

not him but i'd stay clear of audiophile equipment if you want accurate and neutral sound. if you're really going to drop $10K+ into gear for critical listening then buy the high end studio stuff thats used in production and broadcasting.

throwing some brands out here:

ATC
Genelec
PMC
Quested
PSI Audio
Neumann

I'm a genelec fan so thats the brand I recommend.. for ~$10k you can get the 8351/8260 or even 1237a, their built-in room calibration is amazing.

oh are you the 4367 user?
im the cadenza user. it would be really neat to hear each others setups. i have no doubt yours sounds better in the bass department... tho i'd expect it to be at $15k. i think my smith horns would give your wave guide tweeter a run for its money tho. what is your upstream chain anyway? i could never tell from your pics. im using a pass labs xa30.5 and i'm going to be snagging a xp10 pretty soon (allah be willing) all chained up to a yggdrasil and my pc as source over usb. i'd really really like to know what your amplification looks like... if i had a 4367 i'd be biamping that badboy for sure.

I'm a big Genelec fan as well. It's the only speaker that has impressed me everytime I've listened to them. Not heard the 1237a but the 8351 REALLY impressed me a lot. But I thought that it would be a boring setup running active monitors and that they aren't as cool or can play as strong as the 4367.
I'm running foobar2000 to my Weiss DAC 202 that I use as a preamp for my Rotel 1582mkII amplifier.
Made this video yesterday with my smartphone, sounds like 32kbit/s mp3 but is quite representative in room and speaker coloration.
youtu.be/vM2RGMkqSUs

when are you getting better upstream gear? im just going to assume that the rotel integrated isnt too great of an amp... unless its some vintage stuff. i thought all rotel was integrated garbage made in china. cant wait to introduce the xp10 in my system i think its gonna be a game changer. will definitely take a bunch of new photos once its setup in the system. the one ive been using is now quite outdated, i dont even have the anthem anymore its been sold. sold it for $1200 (bought it for $800 back in august) ps. would kill for your 4367 even if they did sound worse than mine (which they dont) im still sad theyre a bit too far out of my price bracket. however if i did wind up saving for them i wouldnt have been able to afford all this lovely lovely upstream gear. i would marry my amp if i could. (its the thing in the bottom right of my rack)

Recommend me active bookshelves for small-medium room on desk use, budget 600 euros. If I had more I would get me sum neumann's.

The amp is the only thing I'm looking to replace. It's VERY good for the money, but doesn't feel as high-end as the rest of my system. If I'm good with my money and if the banks are nice to me, I might order a new amp at the end of this month. For the moment I'm leaning towards the Bryston 4b3, but the amp that I really want is the Luxman u900m, but it's VERY pricey.
I only have 2 dealers in my city, and the good dealers are located >250miles away, so it's hard to loan and test things :(.

What's the best value amp for the KEF Q100? SMSL SA50? OriGain?
Also how would these compare to the LSR 305?

The KEFs has one strong point against most other speakers on the market, and that their Uni-Q driver. I really make it sound like everything is coming from a single point, that's worth especially much on close range.

Do you think it would be overkill for a small bedroom?

I think that xa25 use totally different transistors

Nope, bigger is better. I had the KEF R900 in my livingroom that's 17m2

if I am not mistaken those are some new types with higher power

probably the only way to get such speakers these days. all the audio stores sell now is those tiny 4"-6" speakers that look like most money were spent on looks instead of sound quality.

>Nakamichi is not even mentioned once here

Plebs

> Nakamichi
> used to be good stuff
> makers of the greatest cassette player EVAR
> used to be.....
Now they make sound bars that you can buy at Wal-Mart.

I'm not saying their new stuff is good. I have their old stuff from the 80s and it sounds amazing. The company went downhill when they were bought by Americans. Same goes for Lancia.

I have the cr-2 and the AV-10

Sounds ok and the quality is pretty solid for the price.

I own the only Nakamichi product that my dealer thinks is worth selling. Deal with it

3 or 4 years later, took out the Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla out of its case. Hooked it up to my interface and holy moly... I never realised this thing is THIS good. The amount of power it needs to be driven is so small. This small interface of mine could drive it to deliver all the details right into my ears.

I've always thought that the MrSpeakers Ether is the bes I've heard, but this is, I don't know... Refreshing?

Subwoofer recs under 150€ used?
It's a pretty small room.