How comes Indians dislike Britain?

How comes Indians dislike Britain?
After all, it was UK who brought modern civilization to India, build up the country and removed many backwards practices like widow burning or the caste system

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f7CW7S0zxv4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plassey
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayawati
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Everybody dislikes Indians

India loves Britian

> build up the country and removed many backwards practices like widow burning or the caste system

... while destroying all local industry and stealing all wealth.
You morons need to understand that those practices would have been banned by now even if the British had not come here. It's 2016 - everyone knows what's normal and what isn't. Foreign intervention rarely does anything good - just look at USA's failed campaigns in the ME.
The local rulers would have done a better job of fixing the problems in the country.

>India represented approximately 25% of the worlds GDP in the 18th century
>By the turn of the 20th century India represented only about 1%

Really makes you think...

>while destroying all local industry and stealing all wealth.
India wasnt an industrial nation before British arrived.

>You morons need to understand that those practices would have been banned by now even if the British had not come here. It's 2016 - everyone knows what's normal and what isn't.
Le common year meme. If not for the Europeans, everybody would still live in a pre industrial society

Is that a BAD thing?

Because we fucked their shit up

Mind you india has the caste system and terrible plumbing so they really ought to fix their own issues before complaining about the british

>They just treated you like subhumans and took all the resources to their small island while building minimal industrial things other than muh railways but you should be greatful

>India wasnt an industrial nation before British arrived.
By any reasonable definition of what constituted industry in that era, yes it was

>everybody would still live in a pre industrial society

Which India was consciously reduced to by British rule, they went from being the worlds largest producer of textiles to having to having to buy every piece of fabric they owned from Britain

Not 'industry' in the modern sense, but there were local businesses a la cloth mills, metal works etc which exported their goods to far away lands.
I don't claim that India would have remained a rich nation by now - it had started falling behind Europe sometime before the East India Company arrived - but it could have turned out like Japan, where the King collaborated with European traders to train the population. At the very least, it would have been a medium-income nation in today's date.

Stop complaining. You'd still ve living like savages if not for the anglo.

oh gee, i dunno.
are you enjoying living in world of constant hunger, warlords and dying to cureable diseases

Wo baiting kar rha hai, itna seriously reply karne ki jarurat nai hai, ye argument hamesha shitposts se hi khatam hote hai.

Indians don't hate britain. they don't even care. but brits seem to hate indians. I don't know where this "indians hate brits" meme came from

Famines became intensely more common and disastrous during the British Raj

>but it could have turned out like Japan
no chance. Only reason why Japan turned out so well is because it is a shitty barren Island with no reason to conquer it.
India with all its riches is in a completely different position

wew lad what are you doing in my cunt it's rare that we see indians in tunisia?

>31 serious famines in 120 years of British rule compared with 17 in the 2,000 years before British rule

I honestly hope Britbong subhumans are wiped off the face of the earth.

Gdp per capita in india was stagnating throughout the entire modern period. Meanwhile japan's gdp per capita was rising to overtake the rest of asia while having started out very poor, and that was even before Perry

There's this prevailing myth that Europeans were this advanced, civilized race, bringing technology to the rest of the world. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Even in terms of military technology, Indian kingdoms were in some ways far ahead of England. In fact in all three of its first three wars against the Kingdom of Mysore, England was blown the fuck out, in part thanks to India's canister rockets. In the third war, England was so thoroughly annihilated that the Kingdom of Mysore had captured its generals.

It wasn't until England allied with the Marathas, who ruled over most of India at the time, that England was able to win. Unfortunatey, the Marathas, while powerful, were squabbling internally, a fact England was able to explot.

Europeans are are just the world's parasites, using the rest of the world's ideas against them. Their only real advantage was developing nation-states, which hold up better against invasions and political instability. Using that one-trick pony, they were able to leech off India's economy, one-fourth of the world's output at the time, and build their own countries and industries.

Fortunately in a few decades Europe will never be heard of again.

The DPRK didn't have this problem until it became first world-ish.

> Gdp per capita in india was stagnating throughout the entire modern period.

The economy was pretty much completely closed after independence. The British rule had put a deep fear of foreign companies in the minds of people - right at the dawn of globalisation. Talk about a double whammy.

Also, Japan and Europe had skilled manpower.
The British educated the people here to be clerks and peons, nothing more. Advancing further is a herculean task when you have no engineers, scientists and doctors.

With the modern period I mean from the 1500 ish to 1945

youtube.com/watch?v=f7CW7S0zxv4

Watch this video. While at an Oxford debate, Shashi Tharoor, and Indian member of parliament, describes just how England laid ruin to India.

Well yeah, that's why I said that India had started falling behind Europe. The age of India was over when the British arrived. The last great Mughal emperor was dead and his huge empire had been split into many parts - each ruled by incompetent morons.

This, Europe is OVER.
Things are quickly returning back to the natural order of the world after a short inconsistency

>removing the caste system
Kek

Pic related.

Speculating on how india would have fared without the british is a bit difficult imo because india would probably have fallen under foreign regardlesd, after the fall of the mughals the indians were incapable of resisting the foreigners due to infighting

Which is hardly relevant, the question is whether the person who broke your legs and make you a slave was beneficial experience for you or not, the fact someone else may have done the same doesn't make it any better

Why can't indians talk without using english to substitute such basic words? It's really quite odd.

>18th century
>Industrial revolution hadn't happened
>20th century
>Industrial revolution has happened

Really made me think

Even assuming it was impossible for India to industrialize on its own terms in that period. China which represented a similar economic position still retained 15% of World GDP by that period even despite whole sale looting by Western powers

Everything is related, you can't just completely detach those factors from each other in historic speculation
But honestly it is also relevant in the way that the principalities were spending 85 percent of their wealth on war which is hardly conductibe to economic growth

Because learning Shudh Hindi (literally "pure Hindi") is hard and more useful for politicians and other elites than regular Indians.

No word for shitpost and baiting ( literal phrase would mean catching fish, which doesnt fit here)
And it feels odd if someone uses hindi for certain words, like 'gambhir' for serious.
Its not like its only us who do it, english has some of our words too.

Why can't English speak without using French to substitute basic words? Its simply how Hindi has developed

delet this

>industrial revolution
Uh Except if England wasn't leeching off India, the Industrial Revolution would have never happened. Besides you're conflating global trends in manufacturing with English achievements. Almost nothing England takes credit for is originally or exclusively by them.

Approaching dangerous levels of salt here

Anyway it was the British empire, not the English empire

Scots were very invested in empire and a disproportionate amount of colonial governors and administrators were scots

>The old Britain synonymous with England when it doesn't suit us meme

>tfw didn't die of cholera at 15

I'm Scottish now f**k off

>Scots were very invested in empire and a disproportionate amount of colonial governors and administrators were scots

Yeah, in that video, Shashi Tharoor argues that's because Indian wealth was used to appease the Scots.

You know you can curse on Sup Forums Jock, bet you're one of the cucks that voted no

Anyone who supports the snp is a prize cuckold

>2016
>Indians are free and arguing against English crimes
>Scots still gimping it up enthusiastically

Smh lad

Curry munchers

Thats why 150 indian students are being deported from New Zealand for fraudulent financial documentation back to over crowded india where treat woman like second class citizens and half the country shit in public

Chill out pajeet. Maybe take a relaxing read of this wiki article

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plassey

What do Indians think of Rudyard Kipling? Recently read some of his poems so I'm curious.

>if England wasn't leeching off India, the Industrial Revolution would have never happened.

Hahahaha no

>Besides you're conflating global trends in manufacturing with English achievements

Right so the development of the industrial revolution in Britain is somehow a global trend? I guess this is true just because Britain is part of the world, but it's pretty desperate logic

Indian posters, do you speak English with a shitty accent that everyone makes fun of, or do you try to adopt a 'neutral' sounding accent?

bullys tbqh

The faggy accent just comes from people acting nice(re:pretentious) and trying to sound like when the master spoke english in 1800s.
When we speak normally it doesnt sound faggy, probably.

Is she hiding her forehead?

no

I've never gotten the impression that Indians have any particular dislike for Brits. Of course, many aren't keen on going back to the days of being a colony, but the Empire seems to be a distant memory for most.

There are a lot of arguments about how British rule drove the country backwards in a number of ways. Famines became much more common during the colonial period and killed millions. If you were to look at a chart graphing which parts of the world were the richest throughout history, you'd probably notice that India, or at least its predecessor states, were the wealthiest for a very long time.

I do think the British helped in some ways, in regards to creating a better infrastructure and improving education standards. However, I don't think making the argument that being ruled over and treated as second-class citizens in your own land holds much water for the folks who were freed from that system.

Do people who were alive during the empire days wish to go back? Not to being ruled by foreigners, but to having a society that was pre-western influence

I don't know. I haven't met very many people who were old enough during British Rule to remember very much. There is a certain segment of the population which decries India's gradual shift towards the West. Some feel that globalization might ultimately have an unfortunate impact on their culture.

By and large, I'd say that most educated and worldly Indians look up to the West. Plenty of students want to work in the United States or Europe, or at least earn enough to do some traveling outside of their own country.

Interesting. I think the next few years will be interesting in india, the whole world seems to be becoming more nationalist and Indian nationalism becoming more important will be an interesting phenomenon. I suppose it could go a couple of different ways

well said, fucking europe exploiting unprivileged countries like spain, fuck you EU, parasites

>You morons need to understand that those practices would have been banned by now even if the British had not come here

right right, tell me how good the dalit have it still

Unless you live in some tiny no name village, no one gives a shit about your caste.

Yeah, we'll just have to see. The standard of living has improved massively over the past twenty or thirty years. I can't remember exactly which figures correspond with where, but the average income of persons living in urban areas has skyrocketed since the 90s.

India still isn't a wealthy country by any metric, but even I've noticed big improvements being made over the last few years in Delhi alone. I think one of the biggest challenges the country faces is that of corruption and the omnipresence of a cripplingly large and inefficient bureaucracy. I remember when my ex-girlfriend wanted to get her drivers license, her dad just paid the instructor $100 to give it to her without taking a course or a test. He was also regularly offered bribes in exchange for contracts, which he rejected.

The Delhi Metro is one great example of a project which, while managed by the Indian government, has somehow managed to work rather well.

If only Indians could figure out how to make and maintain queues, rather than trampling one another the second the carriage doors open.

I dont think the empire banned caste or anything like that.
They encouraged and let it flourish instead.

>UK who brought modern civilization to India,
hmm really makes you ponder...

I like Indians

>The Delhi Metro is one great example of a project which, while managed by the Indian government, has somehow managed to work rather well.
I think that only worked so well because we collaborated with the japanese

I read a good article somewhere about all the shit the Chief Engineer did to streamline the project and get all the tracks built and trains rolling on time.

t. Indian

>The standard of living has improved massively over the past twenty or thirty years

Hmmmm

Such an insightful post.

don't bully now la'

The movement to ban widow burning was spearheaded by Raja Ram Mohan Roy, a native Bengali reformer. It was already banned long before the British got to it.
Outlawing it was just a farce to make Britain look good.
Also, Britain didn't "build up" anything. The majority of industrial development in India occured post-independence.

They have it pretty good desu.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayawati

The "upper castes" have been thoroughly fuked for decades.

BTFO
T
F
O

>mfw when some Indian was really upset her maj has several Indian gems we stole in her crown

GSTQ

Proofs