/odg/ - Optical Disc General - Laserdiscs Welcome edition

A thread for any type of discussion of digital optical discs. In case your PC doesn't support them or you generally think OD's are outdated, there is a number of reasons to still use them. While discs take more time to write to, have fewer rewrites and typically hold less data, they are also much cheaper, store data for 30-1000 years, are often supported by older and simpler machines. Plus, DVD-RAM has most of the general optical disc issues solved.
>this is the third /odg/ thread so far
>do you have any LaserDiscs?
>are LaserDisc releases any better than DVD?

Resources and info:

>Information related to CD's
osta.org/technology/cdqa7.htm (physical properties)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_and_DVD_writing_speed (burning speeds for the 3 generations of OD's)
>Information related to DVD's
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM (general DVD-RAM info)
web.archive.org/web/20080131133310/http://www.fujitsu.com/ph/services/computing/pc/support/drivers/usage_dvdram.html (the rare high-speed DVD-RAM discs, I have 2 of these)
goughlui.com/2015/08/10/mega-tech-flashback-writable-optical-discs-mo-pd-dvd-ram/ (MO, PD, DVD-RAM - both 3x cartridge discs and RAM2 discs)
>Information related to Blu-ray discs
infogalactic.com/info/Blu-ray#BDXL (100gb/128gb discs)
>Some bad news
digitaltrends.com/music/best-buy-to-stop-selling-music-cds/
>The future of optical discs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc#Fourth-generation

Other urls found in this thread:

yesasia.com/global/schindlers-list-vcd-hong-kong-version/1000004196-0-0-0-en/info.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserDisc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc
arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/spacex-sent-an-easter-egg-into-space-but-can-anyone-read-it/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

stop making this thread

good god, not every rinky dink topic needs a le general. really no generals at all would be preferable but this is just turboretarded. go make a subreddit or something for your autism.

Why? I left the previous one like a brainlet, so it got archived quick.
>implying you can't discuss discs on the technology board

Make a non-general thread about your damn discs, i.e. have actually some point about them you want to discuss instead of "hurr durr anything about discs". Then if the topic obviously doesn't interest people don't make it a recurring general.

Okay, then. The first time such thread was created it was moderately successful, there are many things to talk about related to discs, so I thought creating a general would be right. This one has a more specific topic to it, which is LD's.
>>do you have any LaserDiscs?
>>are LaserDisc releases any better than DVD?
Mentioned right there.
Now could we start talking about the actual topic and stop shitting up the thread?

Image from a previous thread

Does anyone happen to have cd video discs? They're very much related to LD's and have 2 sections - digital cd audio + analog video closer to the outer side. Is video output the same in terms of quality as a regular ld or it had to be scaled down? after all the reason video part is the outer one is that only then it would spin fast enough for proper video playback.

Guy that took that pic here. Got Soy Story in the mail the other day, looks pretty good. The second side of the disc has a 24 minute documentary about the film, which includes such things as pictures of the racks upon racks of Sun pizzaboxes they used for rendering.
I don't have any, but afaik they look exactly the same as LDs in terms of picture quality.

The only discs I use these days are physical game discs.
It's gonna suck once those go away, I'll be giving up video games when that happens.
Fuck digital downloads.

Hey, nice to see you back. Does it have anything else in the box like booklets and etc.? I know there's an awful lot you could write onto a booklet about such a cartoon, but still.
Maybe it's better that I used your image, but I was trying to find my friend's pic, don't know where it is.
I'm gonna try finding it and if that doesn't happen it'd be nice if you helped keep the thread up.

It came with a whole lotta nothing, because it's a release by Encore, which specialized in "budget" releases for PAL territories.
Videodrome came with this, though.

am i the only one backing up bdmv remux of chink cartoons on bd-r?
still cheaper than hdd.and last longer

Yeah, nothing comes close to having a very much physical container of the game, that you can insert into an optical drive & play almost instantly. No bullshit downloads and "pay for le pixels" bs.
Have you considered using discs for archiving files? BD-RE DL are cheaper than flash drives of comparable capacity and hold data safely for 20-30 years on avg, without any electricity/maintenance.
t. have a disc with a 4k movie I moved to free up a flash drive, the other for various videos

>card for laserdisc catalogues
holy crap since when has it expired? What if you sent it right now lmao
This. HDD's get messed up magnetic sectors if left w/o electricity for long enough, SSD's literally store data as electrons.
picrelated - my tdk 50gb disc.

It has no expiration date.
Looks like Pioneer are still there, too. I wonder how much it'll cost me to send the card to the UK.

Quick rundown on BDs for long term archiving? Are there options that are comparable to CD/DVD?

It's there something that is superior to DVD disks?

It would be really unusual if everything actually worked. Many of the older formats offered the option to receive magazines/trial discs in the mail, VHD too, but I doubt you'd hear anything back from them if you sent them a letter asking for a new issue of it.
Perhaps if Pioneer still openly supports LD's. For example, TDK is known for making high-quality DVD's, etc., but those aren't listed on their site, the situation here might be the same.

>be BD
>offer 25/50/100GB per disc
>last close to 20 years in case of BD-RE
>last either 10 or 30 years in vase of BD-R, barely anything ever inbetween
>last a 1000 years if that's M-DISC blu-ray, though you cannot record onto it without a special drive, despite reading support from all drives
>no need in special software, have the ability to be formatted as a ""'flash drive""", though for extra burning speed/security you might have to download Nero

>Are there options that are comparable to CD/DVD?
I guess DVD-RAM is fine, it works with most drives, acts 99% like a flash drive and might offer 9.4Gb. However, BD is the next logical step in disc evolution, literally DVD, but more capacity, unlike RAM where it's dvd+ some nice features.
CD is a datalet but it's also irreplaceable because cda.
What do you mean? If DVD's = all three generations of the technology, then - nothing.

Is there a BD or DVD burner made that won't shit the bed in 6 months or less of light to little use? Seems like drives have always been shitty when it comes to quality. Why is that? Is it really that difficult to make a burner that lasts?

Soyboy faggots need to fuck off back to their itoddler threads.

Never had a big issue with that. I've literally had a drive disabled in 2014 or so due to lack of use, re-enabled it in the late 2017 and use it every day (for one dvd) since a few months ago. Also had A blu-ray drive since 2014, it's fully working. Have you tried using a cleaning disc? Once my older drive stopped responding to CD's and most DVD's, but after a short cleaning session it started working properly again. It also refused to work even after I enabled it again, until I connected my Huawei P10 to my PC, which creates this MyCDRom thing or whatever, apparently that got the drive fixed.
They might be chaotic but if you mess around with the drives, usually the issue gets resolved.

But optical media IS obsolete, retard.

I like the idea of laser disc as an old analog medium but too many of the discs were manufactured poorly and are now unplayable due to disc rot. Hopefully this doesn't happen with Blu-ray, I haven't heard of it being an issue and last time I tried playing a few discs I've had for more than a decade they worked.

Okay.
Name me:
>better alternatives to an audio CD
>better alternatives to Blu-ray 4k movies
>better alternatives to an M-DISC or anything that can last at least comparably long
>anything cheaper than a 50Gb BD-RE, but offers the same durability, capacity, etc.
>better alternative to vidya on discs

>>better alternatives to an audio CD
digital flac
>>better alternatives to Blu-ray 4k movies
digital files
>>better alternative to vidya on discs
cartridges. Nigga why do you think PS4 and Xbone games need to be installed into the hard drive?

The laser rot problem is way overblown. Not even 10% of all discs made have laser rot, and even the ones that do and are watchable today will probably stay watchable for 10+ years.
Cartridge vidya is way way better than disc-based vidya. Instant random access, save data in the cart itself, way more durable.
By the way, are magneto-optical formats welcome here too?

Yeah I know. Heard stories where people discovered old scratched-up CD's from the 90's in the back of their garage on the floor, yet they still worked. BD-ROM's use a layer of metal with clear pits for the data itself, plus it's coated with durabis2 coating that claims to offer full protection against stains and scratches. BD's were very fragile at launch and required a cartridge, so I doubt the coating replacing it could be low-quality. No idea how the metallic pancake within the disc could get damaged, too.

>digital flac
Well it gotta be really good because most music files I've seen on the web are 320kbps at best, while cda is 1100k or something
>>better alternatives to Blu-ray 4k movies
digital files
... blu-ray itself is digital already, you mean SSD's, HDD's and streaming? Streaming's cucked and only one-legged-tier pirates sell movies like that.
>cartridges. Nigga why do you think PS4 and Xbone games need to be installed into the hard drive?
Because those are the kinda consoles (PS1) that kicked N64's cartridge ass

CD/DVD/Blu ray/etc will last decades if you store them right and don't handle them often. Those paper disc sleeves are cheap but over time they will add scratches to the disc due to nature of you inserting/taking out the disc. Get actual cases and store in cardboard boxes packed with peanuts for long term storage, basements work well for this type thing. That's how I got my DVD collection stored after I ripped it all.

Not for files you care about, but you don't have any of those. OTOH finalized archival burned media won't get nuked when the next Spectredown is used to nuke rewriteable media.

>Cartridge vidya is way way better than disc-based vidya.
Well, kinda. Cartridges are more flexible, but they typically have less capacity and higher price. Though cartridge/whatever drive + disc drive = perfection.
>By the way, are magneto-optical formats welcome here too?
Absolutely. MO discs are based af, always wanted an MO drive, but the price is too high for such limited capacity. Rewrite cycles and archival potential are impressive.
Got any pics? Especially where the disc is visible, I have several cartridge-type dvd-ram discs and want to compare the 2 formats.

>thread for digital optical discs
>posts an analog one

>ignores LD's with digital soundtrack, which technically makes them digital
>Laserdiscs Welcome edition

What else do I need to complete my Schindler's List collection?

Laser Disc is optical you retard.

I never said it wasn't, you dumbass.

just be glad it's not a phone thread

>Well it gotta be really good because most music files I've seen on the web are 320kbps at best, while cda is 1100k or something
cdda is 1411.2kbps
a flac ripped from a cd is identical to the cd it came from, though

This, with a cue file you can even recreate the CD as an ISO

i never did get into bluray, at all
now i'm wondering if it's a good idea for making backups of my solidworks vault, right now it compresses to ~7GiB, but it likely won't be long until it becomes a bit cumbersome to use dvd's

you can even make whole-disc flac's with an embedded cue sheet, basically the ideal single-file format for audio cd "images"

Probably picrelated.
But why do you have so many versions of exactly this movie?

>a flac ripped from a cd
>whole-disc flac's
Why would you even do that? Such flac would be too large for upload and wouldn't be supported because many websites use mp3 instead. My 2-hour one-file mp3 is 300Mb, it still is at 320kbps, what would the size of a whole disc flac be and how can you use it for anything other than storage? I don't think most radios/boomboxes/audio systems support flac files like that, while CD is relatively mainstream.
Ok, even if flacs are comparable to cda, can you rip a SACD? It uses a completely different encoding mechanism and in terms of quality is CD (already HQ) on steroids.

>Such flac would be too large for upload and wouldn't be supported because many websites use mp3 instead.
i don't know what you use your music for, but i listen to mine
> I don't think most radios/boomboxes/audio systems support flac files like that
why does it matter to me whether 'most' support it? mine does
>can you rip a SACD?
never tried, not interested in it whatsoever. flac can't into DSD though, so it's not suitable for that

>Such flac would be too large for upload
FLAC albums are only ~1GB
>how can you use it for anything other than storage?
Playing it on a PC or DAP, not that it's a bad thing to only use FLAC for archiving.

1GB is larger than a CD, they can't be that big
they're usually 400-600MB, depending on the content

Yeah you're right, I accidentally included vinyl rips

those nutty 24bit/96KHz vinyl rips can be massive
they're also completely overkill, but let's not get into that here.

The Book, DVD, & laser disc copies were gifts from my sisters. As for the VHS copies and the CD soundtrack I randomly found those in the Goodwill supercenter.

the Video-CD version: yesasia.com/global/schindlers-list-vcd-hong-kong-version/1000004196-0-0-0-en/info.html

Does anyone for real how much does cd's and dvd's last? I have a lot of information. Some frome the 2000's and it still works...
What's the real deal here?

>Vinyl rips

you do realise everything has been digitally mastered for like 20 years now. Vynil rips are as retarded as it comes

I'll have to find it elsewhere online since the site is out of stock. Thanks for informing me about this.

You have a very good opportunity to compare various formats inbetween eachother now, getting a BD release makes most sense because you'd know what "it intended to look like", since that's basically cinema quality.
depends on the quality, type of disc and its manufacturer, as both the company and the factory. Rewriteable discs offer higher reliability, but are still worse than pressed whatever-ROM, recordable discs use dye which can rot and is sensitive to UV, it might fade over time too. Best discs come from Japan and are made by Sony, TDK, Panasonic, Maxell, Sony tend to rely on Indian factories too much, btw. Regular discs can last 10-40 years, anything in that range. Recordable audio cd's, golden cd's & medical-grade ones might last 70-100 years.

>discussion of digital optical discs
> Laserdiscs Welcome

Laserdisks weren't digital though. In a lot of ways they were closer to records than CDs.

>Laserdisks weren't digital though
They were.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserDisc
>Although appearing similar to compact discs or DVDs, LaserDiscs used analog video stored in the composite domain (having a video bandwidth approximately equivalent to the 1-inch (25 mm) C-Type VTR format) with analog FM stereo sound and PCM digital audio. The LaserDisc at its most fundamental level was still recorded as a series of pits and lands much like CDs, DVDs, and even Blu-ray Discs are today.

>LaserDiscs used analog video
> with analog FM stereo

Well, I messed up by not getting rid of "digital" in the copypasta. LD's are still discs and they're rather popular here, so I can't see a reason to not include them in the discussion.

>music has only existed for two decades

>he listens to pleb shit

So when the fuck are bluray discs and drives going to become sensibly priced?

>Sudden increase on YouTube about Laserdisc
>Suddenly Sup Forums generals about it

H I P S T E R
I
P
S
T
E
R

I used Blurays on my ZFS NAS.
It periodically snapshots and compresses directories into images and rsyncs it to a seperate dedicated network device which is a tower with optical drives.
Still piles up on this Towers cache and it will one by one burn it onto a sector on the Bluray.
Once a bluray is full (they hold over 40GiB depending on layers/single sided or double so it'll take a while.
It will eject it and send me a notification on my LAN.
I can basically have 4+ months before all 4 drives fill up so it gives me plenty of breathing room to replace the Blurays.
I generally pop one in every time one comes out if I spot it.
Then I date it and archive in a dark area away from heat/cold changes and UV light.

I don't know what you're talking about, I just wanna talk about discs, one fella told he wished LD's were part of the discussion too, so here is the LD edition of odg.

>strg+f
>no minidisk
what kind of faggotry is this thread?

Will double sided multi-layer bluray minidiscs be a thing!? :C

CHINA MAN MAKE US BLURAY MINIDISCS

mindisc was ahead of it's time. i'm still amazed how great they sound, even today. also, the single battery in my sony md walkman lasts for like two or more weeks.

If only Sony didn't jew out with the minidisc licensing, the world of optical storage media might have been different today.

digits of truth.

WHERE'S MY HVD LAZY FUCKS

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

If you think that one's impressive, check out Hyper CD-ROM.
Such a shame companies behind HVD went bakrupt, if they didn't, optical discs would be viewed today with the same reputation as CD's back in the early 90's.

Some CD's are shit.
Some old shit never made it to CD.

CD degradation is real.
:(

Optical media today is in a weird spot. Music CDs are on their way out but there still isn't a replacement. Where I live you can't buy new CDs (unless you take a bus) but there's still that one store that sells vinyl records. Blu Ray is too expensive and seems like a hassle to set up with all of its restrictions. I have never owned a Blu Ray drive, but have two DVD drives which I use for ripping CDs and DVDs. I also have a CD player. The last time I burned a disc wasn't that long ago, it was an OS installation disc for an older computer that couldn't boot from USB. If I need to save something on an external media I use an USB stick (temporary storage) or a hard drive (backups). I have so much hard drive space that there's no need to backup anything on optical media as I can just do 1:1 mirrors on separate hard drives. The lesser known formats like LaserDisc (never seen a player or a disc in my life) or Minidisk are dead and only hispters care about them.

>he fell for the 320kbps meme
>he fell for the CBR meme
enjoy your wasted space

>Walking around Best Buy
>Not there to shop but just waste time and talk shit
>Notice no blank blu rays anywhere
>Tons of DVDs though

Vinyl is gay shit for hipsters too.
It's for novelty, a lot of vinyl releases these days give you a download for actual listening.

>Where I live you can't buy new CDs (unless you take a bus) but there's still that one store that sells vinyl records
For me it's pretty opposite and most supermarkets here have a section with optical discs, while vinyl is harder to find.
>Blu Ray is too expensive and seems like a hassle to set up with all of its restrictions. I have never owned a Blu Ray drive
Blu-ray discs make dvd look like vinyl records. Sure the drives might not be cheap, but with them you get:
>full support of previous gen's of discs
>support for the newest mass-produced disc
>support for 100Gb ones, too
>built-in error correction
>higher base speed than dvd/cd and reduced spinning speed of the disc per same amount of data transferred in a unit of time, making high read speeds safer
>support of the only disc created with 4k support in mind (I actually burnt a 4k movie to a cd once and played it back, it was spinning like hell)
THIS. Every single time, like there's tons and tons of CD's, DVD's, but never blu-ray. It was only one time I found a pack of them in a non-specialized shop/whatever. Is the demand for DVD's still unironically higher than BD despite currentyear?
>Vinyl is gay shit for hipsters too.
Exactly. A regular CD outperforms this "audiophile" format in both the sound quality and all physical properties. Typical vinyl users are either hipsters who don't know what they're doing or reddit-tier bugman crowd.

this

Okay. What are the optimal settings, then? Most of the time I can't tell a difference past 128 kbps unless the audio system is far above average or I'm listening to the audio in headphones. I just use the highest setting there for minimal mp3 compression whenever I'm forced to upload music as mp3 and not flac.

With mp3? v0. Don't transcode though. Always go from wav/aiff/flac -> lossy.

If you wanna go the Ogg Vorbis route, it has better compression than mp3 and honestly I always just set it to q3.

If you want to be autistic though you could go with Opus.

>SpaceX sent a nerdy Easter egg into space, but can anyone read it?
>Disc etched with “femtosecond laser on quartz silica glass,” can hold 360TB.
Why is nobody talking about this?

arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/spacex-sent-an-easter-egg-into-space-but-can-anyone-read-it/

I still have this disc lying on the shelf collecting dust. I want to burn something really worthy to it.
Does anyone know where to get super HQ audio on the web, preferably without any pirating?

That's because $ony overpriced them

I get so mad when I see those ridiculous capacities and realize discs are more likely to go extinct in my lifetime than achieve the full potential.
>tfw no 5cm disc with 360TB so i can constantly btfo ssdickheads
Btw this is probably the first article about SpaceX I've seen in past few days that isn't soyboy-tier WOAH BRO SKIENSE SO COOL DUDE ROCKETZZZ LMAO shit.
Wait, if I'm rich and autistic enough, can I actually develop my own disc format? What do I need for that?

>Wait, if I'm rich and autistic enough, can I actually develop my own disc format? What do I need for that?
I don't know what to say, user. I can only hope they will come soon on the market. Just imagine how many blu-ray movies can we store on them...

Fact: HVD gen 4 6Tb disc was developed in 2007, since then it has never been released to the public in any shape or form.
>I can only hope
Exactly, that's all we have. I really doubt any tech giants would be interested in releasing discs of such capacities, it would nuke the SSD/HDD market at best or become a toy for the rich nobody cares about at worst.

Only time I ever saw blank BD-R's for sale was when my local mall still had a Sam Goody's, they sold them in there.

>he doesn't have a collection of physical media
goes beyond this display but it's all I can fit in there

I've got quite a few CDs, recently started a Blu-ray collection as a local store sells them new for $5-$7 each

Nice. I have something similar, but with blank discs, not actual movies, unless you count the one video dvd I labeled & made a custom box design for. Is watching Blu-ray on 1080p LED monitor okay? If so, I might get myself a few new ones. Rip old plasma tv.

What's with all the entry level hipster stuff?
I have a small record collection going on, but it's not optical media. Bumping the thread anyways because these are good. And also pic of my latest addition because we yellowposting on Sup Forums now

>What's with all the entry level hipster stuff?
Hipster? I've always said my taste is pretty standard pop/rock, I don't really visit any music forums or sites I just get what I like.
Yeah a lot of the time blu-rays are so cheap it makes more sense to get them these days, but for older movies the remastered versions are sometimes triple the price of the DVD, which imo isn't worth it.
I used to do this, somehow I eventually transitioned though. As long as your screen is 1080p, monitor or TV doesn't matter. At anything under 32" they use the same panels anyway.