/pcbg/ - PC Building General

News: Ryzen APUs will release on Feb. 12. The 2200G (99USD) and 2400G (169USD) are similar to the R3 1300X and R5 1500X respectively in cores/threads+clockspeed, but they have integrated graphics. The 2200G has 8 Vega CUs and the 2400G has 11 CUs, so they're in the same performance tier as the RX 550 (8CUs) or GT 1030.

=====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P1t__a3zVFw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>her

Graphics cards:
>Get a Ryzen 2400G

Saved here for posterity

>AMD poozen

Haha got 'em didn't you

youtube.com/watch?v=P1t__a3zVFw

delet dis.

why nvidia is bothering to gimp amd?
you can't buy them.

Someone show me a good 1700 mobo budget is whatever

You can't buy GeForce either

How far do you plan to OC?
B350:
Krait Gaming, Pro Carbon, Strix
X370:
Gaming K7, Crosshair VI Hero

Reposting this from the last thread-

I don't know really, hence why I'm posting here about upgrading and or figuring out why my processor is being so taxed when it should be fine.

Maybe my overclock is bad? Anyone got a good guide on overclocking a i5 3570K?

I also have Spotify and Discord running at the same time but I don't think that makes a huge difference.

I want to at least get 4.0 on my 1700

Dont buy the Strix they still havent fixed their RGB software and it causes havoc on my z270 board.

Pre-built gaming PCs seems to be a good deal right now.

What about the Taichi x370?

Get the K7 or VI Hero
Not all 1700s get to 4GHz at or under 1.45V, so you might have to accept 3.95
Or you might be very lucky and hit 4.05
Taichi is alright (amazing VRMs), depends on price. The other X370 boards I listed have better memory and general OC capability

In my country they sell package of computer parts that you assemble yourself and they are usually much cheaper than prebuilt/custom built. You usually get subpar mobo, psu and case tho.

Ok so Crosshair would be my best bet?

What are you overclocked at? Are you stable with it? What workloads, and what GPU do you have?

The VI Hero is definitely the best AM4 board in every respect except for VRMs, which it ties with the Taichi for.

Are we ever going to see GPU prices go back to normal?

What are the best budget B350 boards for potential OCing on Raven Ridge?

I have a 1070 and I'm not able to get over 144fps consistently in CSGO with just Spotify and Discord in the background. I'm usually above it 160-180fps but I get hiccups and newer maps can give me some probs.

Also given their names, how responsible are VRMs? Just for the CPU?
Like if you're OCing RAM and CPU you should have some good ones?

Moving a lot of HDD storage from an older mobo with 8 SATA to a new Z370 board with 6 SATA but 2 can't be used with M.2 drives installed, so effectively 4.

If I wanted 4 more SATA what would be the best way to get that, PCI-e to SATA boards, are they a thing. What about making them external via USB?

Don't want to spent a lot of money I've just dumped loads into this new build.

That and ram please. The ram I have saved for tax season just shot up 60 bucks

sounds like you need hyper threading at bare minimum

>intel stutters
Nice stuttering low fps crap you got there amd

>using a 6 year old game to benchmark
shiggy

Now we just need some bullshit to integrate RAM into the CPU chip.

APU + integrated RAM. Make it happen AMD.

>but 2 can't be used with M.2 drives installed
What motherboard? Most times it's an either or type thing. If you use a SATA based M.2 drive, then you lose some SATA ports. If you're using an NVME based M.2, you lose nothing.

But yes. They make PCIe SATA cards. Pic related. Don't use any onboard hardware based RAID though. Just use it as a hard drive adder.

Shills gonna shill

Yeah, it's an either/or kinda thing, I'm using 2 M.2 960 Pros in RAID 0 and that wipes out 2 of the SATA ports, annoyingly. I knew that when I bought the board (MSI Z370 Gaming Carbon AC) but I'm struggling to manage all my files

The 4 smallest drives I can ditch are 2x1Tb and 2x2Tb and I made up for that partially by buying a new 8Tb which is encrytping now, but doing the math on this I'll be out of space quite soon.

I have a PCIe 4x free so I'll probably put in one of them cards.

Monolitic designs are fucking retarded.

Intel should ship their CPUs without any integrated graphics. That'd decrease the price and BTFO AMD.

Why don't you get a separate storage solution?

When you install windows, do you run with a local account or do you people like signing in with a Microsoft account

is it a better idea to buy an r7 and dualboot, or wait for ryzen apus and try gpu passthrough?

Seeing 8GB DDR4 at 163$

>mfw

local, ms account gives no benefits

Dual boot is less resource intensive.

I was tempted to get a NAS but it really requires a lot of paired drives, I've just added to this bunch slowly over time which is why it's a mixed bag. I could buy a NAS and like 4 large drives but just dumped 1700 quid on this upgrade so that's gonna have to wait.

Consider upgrading user

>tfw lowering the price is the only way to beat Ryzen

Intel CPUs are better bang for buck than Ryzen APUs.

please be a troll

Tell me one Ryzen chip that performs better in gaming than the i7-8700K.

Comparing what to what else?
8100 and 1300X OC already perform the same, and the integrated Vega is theoretically far superior to UHD 630.
The 2400G can only really be compared to last generation Intel CPUs.
Gaming is a very general topic. The 1800X can manage an edge in some specific games, match it in others, and in unoptimised games it falls short. The 1700 and 1700X theoretically have a slight multicore advantage but I doubt that optimisation goes that far.

Not really building but picking...

I have picked 3 laptops to choose (same price)

1.Lenovo Y520 i7-7700HQ/8GB/1TB GTX1050

2.HP 15 i7-7700HQ 8GB 256SSD+1TB GTX1050

3.ASUS GL553V I5-7300/8GB/1TB/GTX1050

Which one should I buy?

BTW only ASUS is brand new (but all of them looks like new).

They all suck
I would say #2 but if #1 has a better screen that might throw things around
Where are #1 & #2 being sold on?

Nice excuses but the benchmarks usually favor the 8700K. It is literally dubbed The Gaming King.

Literally dubbed by whom?

Do't fall for the gaming laptop meme. Get something that actually has a good battery life and is portable.

Well, I can buy a different laptop.

I want it for programming/gaming.

They are being sold on allegro this is site like ebay from my country.

>It is literally dubbed The Gaming King.
That's it then, if that's the nickname I'm buying one despite the potential to lose performace due to meltdown

By me after looking at the benchmarks.

at the start, I was also considering
>Dell Precision M6800
but feel free to say for me, a name of a laptop to buy I am shitty in this.

What's your budget?

A friend of mine wanted to get a macbook for music production, I convinced her otherwise but I'm a noob to laptops, what would be optimal? Budget is $1000-$1400

Used business laptops can be had for pretty cheap on eBay. Just buy the cheapest with your required CPU and GPU, then just upgrade the RAM and SSD, and you're good to go.

If you want new, see if you can get a Mi Notebook Air/Pro. The Pro comes with a dGPU configuration. Other than that, you will have to choose one of the following when buying new:
> Specs
> Build quality

no. He just pulled that from his ass.

Actually, Macs are good for video and music production because of better optimized apps.

Actually the PC version is from 2015 (I think), it came out with the remastered ps4 and xb1 versions

>Mi Notebook Air
Thank you very much.

And why picking mi notebook pro if these 3 laptops I told you had better specs?

still based on a 2012 game which is where the majority of the work was done. They aren't optimizing shit for it since GTA6 is coming.

You still have a point, I was just saying that in-case the re-release came out with better optimization (Which I don't believe it did)

I'll let her know, thanks man

How I understand it is.
That xiaomi is lighter, smaller, less loud
and these laptops I told you
had better specs

is that a difference between them?

Btw I don't want to be rude, just trying to understand.

The build quality is the best in the concerned price range.

And which one of them had better specs? The MX150 performs similar and is more power efficent than the 1050.

You should first confirm if the software she uses for music production runs on macOS, though.

The card is 2gb and in these laps it was 4gb.

There are two variants: Air and Pro. The Pro is better spec'd.

Thank you very much for help.

The TDP of MX150 is 25W while that of 1050 is 40W, so the obvious difference in battery life.
I don't do much gaming but you can check out the reviews on YT and see if it'll do for your needs.

Do you guys thijnk Zen+ Ryzen CPUs offer one varient that's better for vidya than the Intel i7-8700k?

Thank you man

Also, if you end up getting the Mi, you have to do a clean install of Windows because the default is single language Chinese version.

Np user

No

W-what about Zen 2? ;_;

Zen+, no. They will likely be able to match the IPC and get 4.6GHz at best. Zen 2 in 2019 might be able to beat it, but only time will tell how Intel's 10nm CPUs will work out.
But before then you should be concerned about the Volta cards.

>i5-7400
>1060 3GB
>8 GB ram

If my main concern is running all new video games at 60 FPS on medium settings, how long do you think this would last me until I'd need an upgrade? I can get a full PC with these for a bit less than $500.

Yeah she already prefers a program on macOS

Ryzen shits the bed over 4 GHz while the 8700K can run 5 GHz stable.

Intel themselves have said that the first 10nm will be a downgrade from 14nm.

Maybe I'll just switch from my 7 1700 to an i7-8700k.

Not sure how much I could seel a used 7 1700 for, though, or where to even sell it.

I don't think the 3 GB can do 60 FPS at 1080p on AAA titles.

It might last you a few years. RAM and VRAM will really start to hold you back
Zen and Zen 2 have the potential to be quite different from each other. I expect them to at least change up the memory controller and maybe they'll even add a couple cores for 20-thread CPUs.
>Maybe I'll just switch from my 7 1700 to an i7-8700k.
Unless you're completely CPU bound you will only notice minor performance increases, and the 1700 may age better than the 8700K does.
He said medium settings, which the 3GB can definitely do.

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

>tfw losing my game

You can play latest games on 1700 fine though.

Do upgrade to 8700K if you can sell it for a good deal; otherwise don't bother.

Used or new?

Or a prebuilt Maingear or Xotic PC.

How are they for coin mining? GPU prices a shit and I need mining rigs.

1060 3GB is about teh same performance as a 970, and a 970 can definitely hold 60fps. Maybe not maxed out but good enough.

I wish GPU prices would sort out. My GF wants to get into PC gayman with me and we got all the parts except for a GPU and now I feel hopeless. I don't want her to spend extra just to be able to play with me right now. Feels awful, man.

GPU passthrough is more convenient since you don't have to restart your PC to switch OS's but the downside is it leaves you less cores to work with in games. Don't pass through all your cores, games will be a stuttery mess. Although you should be safe with R7 since you can leave 2 cores for Linux and 6 for games.

>Unless you're completely CPU bound you will only notice minor performance increases, and the 1700 may age better than the 8700K does.
>You can play latest games on 1700 fine though.

But I've seen a lot of benchmarks where the i7-8700k can get >=20 FPS more than the 7 1700, and I have a 1440p 144Hz monitor, so that framerate seems worth it.

Not sure if this is the right thread or stupid questions, but I think you'd know.
Is backlight bleed acceptable, and if so how much? I got a dell with the UHD display and I asked for another because of some backlight bleed since I thought the UHD display should be in optimal condition because of the price.
Pic is not mine, but the bottom right is similar. Been waiting 3 weeks for the second one and I'll get it tomorrow.

You need at least 3 GB card for mining ETH.