Why the fuck weebs love h264 so much?

I want to watch my chink cartoons in freedom but there is no group who use VP9 or similar.
I have encoded a bunch of bds myself but it is hard to find bdmvs in shitty public trackers.

Other urls found in this thread:

theora.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it just works and VP9 encoding isn't optimized at all. AV1 is the intended replacement for H.264.

i like formats that can be played in low-spec qemu guests without hardware acceleration

VP9 sucks.
AV1 will suck too.

t. iToddler

No. VP9 just stinks.

wait what? I thought apple was all about AV1

VP8 sucks, VP9 is great.

>Because it just works and VP9 encoding isn't optimized at all
This. The only free and open source vp9 encoder is absurdly slow, whereas x264 is as fast as you can get in software for the quality.

If AV1 encoding also ends up limited to libaom then forget about any group to use it either. They will move to HEVC if anything. Some already did it.

x265 is the new. My entire collection has been nearly replaced by it now.

theora.org
OGV

im ignorant here, whats the difference between a container and and encoding
also OP said weebs, dont those niggers love 10-bit something something

H264 -> H265 = ~30% compression

h265-> AV1 = ~20% compression

>Theora
>15 years old VP3-based codec
Wikimedia, please.

If you want to suck Xiph's dick, use AV1. They provided bits of Daala's experimental bitstream for it.

x264 might be the most optimized software ever made in human history, it's normal for people to use the currently best tool available.

>x265
This.
What the fuck is everyone's problem with x265?

Yup but they just join last sec. They were trying to push their hevc meme first.

use vp8! wait, no, use vp9! wait, no, use hevc! wait, no, use av1!

while h264 been around for more than a decade

Mpeg2 and xvid/divx have also been around for more than a decade. Old and widespread doesn't mean it's good for all your needs.

h264 is bad for anything above 1920x1080, hence HEVC and VP9, and now AV1 replacing the latter.

VP9 and Google's encoder for it is shit, period.
t. encoder

no
that's what they claim but dude, the encoder is again going to be made by Google, aka "we can't write a decent encoder in 5 years" (as shown by VP8, VP9). So format coudl be great and dandy, but they will still fuck it up by making a shit encoder, aka libvpx
frankly, your hope is the indian programmers employed by Multicoreware that wrote x265. If they decide to make an AV1 encoder, it might be usable for animu one day

Expensive and it locks you in to always have
to pay to use it until 2038 when the patents
expire

nobody cares about theoretical freetard problems here, the question was about anime watching. You just download a player and done

Our only hope would be an open source release of EVE, but that's never going to happen, so we're stuck with the lowest-effort code that is libvpx and libaom, since as far as Google care you just throw another datacenter on top of what you already have if you need to encode more shit and faster.

Yeah, I worked with the assumption that Eve is enterprise contract only and as such irrelevent for "groups"
Of course I never tried it, so all I have is the author's claim that it beats libvpx. OTOH, dunno if he actually tests on animus

Netflix uses it, and they stream anime and other animated shows, so it's at least used for it by some clients.

VP9 encoding/decoding hardware is scarce.

Almost everything does accelerated H.264 decode.

Hardware VP9 decoding and encoding are available on the current Nvidia and AMD cards, plus Kaby Lake iGPU shit and newer. Also, VP9 software decoding in ffmpeg is excellent.

The real problem is software encoding. libvpx is simply too slow.

Well no one's using it because the prices are
outrageous. Thats why the content industry
has banded together to basically say "we
are not going to use it".

H265 -> AV1 = x3000 encoding time

these are the real answers.

Autistic weeblords were the one that pushed H.264, MKV, softsubs, webm... an insane number of technical standards into the spotlight.

Autistic weeblords have performed a LOT of scrutiny over the various file formats, and it turns out that H.264 is the best format for general release for various reasons.

The first reason is general optimization. x264 was not too hot when it first came out, but it was better than everything else. Weeaboos gradually improved it until it demolished everything else.

The second reason is that H.264 decode is baked into the CPU. Neither VP9 nor any of your other hipster obsessions have a decoding ASIC baked into the CPU. Furthermore, H.264 decode is VASTLY implemented in CPUs, be it x86 or the absolute fucking sea of ARM-based devices.

If you want something that can be watched on ANYTHING, it's H.264.

AV1 is gearing up to be that replacement, and when it comes out, it's an easy bet that it's going to exceed H.264 adoption in the 5 years afterwards.

>The second reason is that H.264 decode is baked into the CPU. Neither VP9 nor any of your other hipster obsessions have a decoding ASIC baked into the CPU. Furthermore, H.264 decode is VASTLY implemented in CPUs, be it x86 or the absolute fucking sea of ARM-based devices.
Eat 10-bit H.264 tho. The upside with HEVC is that there is actually hardware support for its 10-bit profile. It is actually more common in toys and TVs than in PCs, because CPUs and GPUs started to support HEVC late and useful life of PC is a decade, but still.

I do have some nice HEVC encodes, but it doesn't exist for everything yet.

>Neither VP9 nor any of your other hipster obsessions have a decoding ASIC baked into the CPU
Kaby Lake and newer shit have full VP9 and HEVC decoding support, user.
>Furthermore, H.264 decode is VASTLY implemented in CPUs, be it x86 or the absolute fucking sea of ARM-based devices.
Take a look at the VP9 decoder in libavcodec one of these days.

No one cares about hardware decoding.

>No one cares about hardware decoding.
Except fucking everyone using phones, TVs, and any non x86 based device.

And even on x86, good luck playing 4k content in software.

X265 and vp9 are slow as fuck.

Encoding speed is dependent on hardware support.

Remember when h265 speed was x3000 slower than h264? Older cpu/gpu might not have that, but newer hardware does. So it won't matter.

>encoding speed
>won't matter
Ok.

Daiz thread?

h264 is mature and the encoding settings have been set in stone

x265 is slow and needs almost the same bitrate as x264 for transparency.
If you're doing mini encodes it's superior. It may also work better on a lossless source than an already lossy medium, which we don't have access to.

There' EVE for VP9 that's supposedly better but it's closed sourced and, from what I've read so far, it's still in some sort of "testing" phase

dude don't encode stuff in hardware.
I mean, you can do what you want with your gaming captures, but don't do that to anime/movies you want to upload for other people. The quality a hardware encoder will give them is utter piece of shit

Thanks

>closed sourced
Not a problem. The problem is that the author only provides it to big companies and under NDA. He wants to make a living and if there was some version available for the unwashed masses, it would immediately get pirated and he would never sell more than five copies (to the worst freetards that want to "demonstrate support for open video").

some mad digits on that post

would you please clarify:
> h264 is bad for anything above 1920x1080

I can see how it's not optimal for some (or even many) uses. But, "bad for anything" seems a bit hyperbolic.

Define bad. If you're talking about Netflix-tier bitstarved encodes, then yeah HEVC wins for 4K no doubt. The difference on Blu-ray between the two formats is minimal because they're encoded at realistic bitrates. Every chart that has compared the two show minimal gains after something like 15 Mb/s.

Placebo

>utter piece of shit

>several defective processors have the feature you said no processor had
>ha!
Moron.

>If AV1 encoding also ends up limited to libaom
What do you mean?

>shitty public trackers
get the fuck off public trackers you lazy fuck