What will be the next trend after Flat/Minimal UI?

What will be the next trend after Flat/Minimal UI?

Other urls found in this thread:

noteloop.com/kit/fui
youtube.com/watch?v=vcBGj4R7Fo0
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/os-x-10-10/4/
fluent.microsoft.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=X8x1ltUHcoY
youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4XPN9w_fI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No UI. Back to the TTY!!!

Something else. Your post is retarded and useless. KYS you piece of shit.

glass
Vista was ahead of its time

no ui

What's a UI?

This, I could totally see frosted glass becoming a big thing, it's already a feature of some people's riced desktops.

wobbly windows

Vista was probably the prettiest Windows, if not the prettiest DE. It's either that or the Win2k theme.

That's the endgame, but it won't come immediately.

They'll slowly make mobile UIs more and more cumbersome to use. More people will shift to voice commands to control their phones. As they get used to that, they'll want the same on their PCs. When very few are using the screen for anything other than watching videos, screens will be dropped since they are truly the biggest draw on battery life and why phones are as big as they are. To watch videos you'll use a wirelessly attached screen accessory. Everything else will be done through voice.

Frosted glass panes.

Hopefully glass or whatever Windows XP/Early OS X was classified as

I can see Win7/Vista sort of style coming back. But probably with square corners this time and something different about the buttons not having the line through the middle.

That still looks good. The flat UIs can look very bad and be hard to distinguish but is better than round bubbly shit.

user, what are you talking about?
OSX was the first to have a glossy UI.
Microsoft released Vista seven years after OSX had released.

Aqua was then perfected in Snow Leopard.

Motherfucking stripes everywhere. What in hell were they thinking?

They didn't stick around for very long.
OSX 10.3 dropped the stripes, but introduced brushed metal.

[fakespoiler] I kinda liked the pinstripes to be honest. It looks like shit in that pic though due to the compression artifacts.

The kde team will own this style

No. Voice control will never be good. Just amagine yelling on phone is subway...

noteloop.com/kit/fui

Collection of fictional UIs

Win98, but on NT 7.0

Jesus what is this

It doesn't have to be good. It just has to be better than the alternatives. There are 2 ways to accomplish this: They can make voice control better, but they know they can never make it as good as a proper UI. Or they can gradually make UIs uglier, harder and more annoying to use, which we're seeing already.

Why would they not want to wean us off the screen? Without the screen, phones would be way smaller and cheaper to produce so they could lower the price only slightly and extract a far larger profit margin.

It's from some future Windows 10 update teaser video

It's like you've taken all the bad parts of shiny gradient UIs and mixed it with all the bad parts of flatshit UIs.
Ew.

GenderUI

I suspect they're making it look like a 3d environment so that they can try to get people to use VR headsets while doing normal computer work so they can sell that too.

Meme UI

Back to the 80s?

man I would if I could but classic theme disables the compositor in Win 7 and beyond

Why do you need compozition?
Or it tears otherwise?

Exactly. You get screen tearing without composition. Fullscreen video will still be vsynced if you use a decent player.

Wow, I thought only GNU/Linux can tear

holo

I miss my old iPod

I miss 10.6 Mac OS and Ubuntu 10.04

Windows 10 already has transparency added in creator's update, they're definitely going forward with that

Never used XP or earlier, huh? People generally didn't care about it back then, and if it bothered them they just cranked up the refresh rate on their CRT to a point where it was not really noticeable anymore.

The difference with Linux is that you can still get tearing even with composition on, due to X11 being kind of poopy. Stuff works fine on Nvidia. Or you can try out Wayland, which is a much more efficient solution that isn't dragging 40 years of extensions and hacks.

>Never used XP or earlier, huh?
Used. It teared without drivers. I guess driver was responsible for vsync back then

There's a difference between Vista's blurred textured tinted glass, and the ugly primitive flat transparency that Win10 does.

>What will be the next trend after Flat/Minimal UI?
Translation: What will be the next trend after Windows 95

>the absolute state of nu/g/

Win95 wasn't flat. It was boxy and comfy and blue

Windows 95 was not flat. It drew 3D-looking borders around everything. Windows 3.1 was flat and still looked more involved than Windows 10.

I personally hated seeing desktop icons and background programs through Vista and 7 transparency, so I'm glad that's gone and is much more subtle now

Blur ui

The next UI will be greasy stains on paper icons

turning of antialiasing and making everything look ugly on purpose
floral patterns and other types of textures

design is a pendulum that swings to and from minimalism

youtube.com/watch?v=vcBGj4R7Fo0

That looks like a 1960s/1970s era wallpaper pattern

Touche
You got me.
Still though,
>the absolute state of nu/g/

Vista turned everything opaque when you maximized a window.

What is this nu/g/ you speak of? I'm an oldfag. I lived through all these operating systems.

DELET THIS

Touchscreen friendly UI

I think OS X is really onto something with the frosted glass look.

dark mode has to be turned on though

So, like, we can only have 4 elements on the screen at once because everything needs to be big enough for Burger Bob to jab at between bites?

Yeah, this is pretty much what I am expecting.
Also, something capable to scale enough to be usable both smartphones and personal computers.
Maybe written in electron or shit like that.

Ahh... what a bright future we have

NeXT Trend: Monochrome

No. Thats going backwards. Today, people want to show off crisp displays, which is why contrast (flat design) is so big right now

To show off GOOD displays, you'd want something more like Vista. Bold flat colors are used to make shite displays look more attractive.

>Thats going backwards
So is flat, so is glass.

>monochrome
Already happened.

nu/g/ is are young fags with so little experience in life and computers that they consider Windows 10 to be a flat minimal UI when clearly more minimal and flat UIs have do exist like Windows 7, XP, 98, 95, 3.1, ect. In a nut shell nu/g/ are young fags too inexperienced too have an opinion worth posting on this board more often then not just like this stupid thread where OP considers Windows 10 to be flat and minimal.

>windows xp
you mean fisher price aesthetic?

I know it's dead but is Unity still usable with current distros? Especially Ubuntu?
Any issues?

Admittedly it is more minimal and flatshit than previous Windowses.
>Vista/7 Aero was anything but -- gradients, gloss and transparency everywhere. The polar opposite of minimalism.
>XP was full of gradients and rounded stuff too.
>95/98/2k were pretty and more minimal than the above, but not flat. They also put borders around buttons and windows.
>3.1 had borders around all the buttons and elements. Window borders were more complex than anything since, with outlines highlighting the diagonal-resize areas around the border. It was also kind of inconsistent, with mostly 2D elements with 3D buttons stuck in.

The progression seems to have been keep it simple to draw because CPUs and video cards are slow and we have 16 colors to work with > we can make it look 3D and only a little more complex to draw > bling everywhere because we can > make it simple and boring so idiots can focus on work instead of being distracted by OOH SHINY

Stripes looked a lot better on big fuzzy CRTs. The G4 eMac was, iirc, the last CRT Mac, and they adapted accordingly. Similarly, skeuomorphic UI takes an obscene level of detail work to get right at hidpi, so the trend in UIs has been simpler controls/chrome/widgets that scale cleanly.

It still is. Vsync is fundamentally a hardware function. That's why freesync needs both GPU and monitor support.

VR/AR-Only UI?

Oh god... Microsoft Bob, only in full 3D and you navigate by walking around.

Aqua UI Mac OS X before 10.9

ITS MY TURN

Oh wow... it's like Vista/7 Win+tab only more useful and done earlier. Still looks barely usable.

Who said no ui means voice? It's mind control

>using a gui

3D UI
Pic related, linux had this for years! Remember this when windows and apple adapts it

>computer crashes and freezes
>can't get this image off your mind

VR 3D

The next trend will be the no-UI. For example MS Word will only show the page and you will be controlling everything with your mind.

PS: I'm already working on that

I don't buy any of that though. If the theory was keep it minimal so users won't be distracted then why was UI even pushed? Ffs text is all the average user needs in a work environment. Windows 3.1 nailed it in that regard. Every OS/UI since has been a distracting mess since. At best now we have Windows 10 which is shitty flat minimal trash combined with Aero to provide a 3Dish modern Windows 95. Fuck peoples feelings when it comes to UI. Give them text and nothing else unless they are graphics designers or pic vid editors

So, Microsoft Bob but in VR.

That's pretty much what Windows 10 is by default though. A window is a white box with a black text title, and whatever controls and text the app chooses to draw. An inactive window is the same but the title text is gray. The taskbar is a black box with icons and/or white text.

Also iirc that's literally what they talked about in designing the Windows 8 style -- it should be focused on the tasks the user is performing, not distracting from it with bling.

Crazy, looked up Fahrenheit 451 just now...
Was also thinking of Michael Moore's adaption of it.
>From the Cultural references
Michael Moore's 2004 documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 refers to Bradbury's novel and the September 11 attacks, emphasized by the film's tagline "The temperature where freedom burns". The film takes a critical look at the presidency of George W. Bush, the War on Terror, and its coverage in the news media, and became the highest grossing documentary of all time. Bradbury was upset by what he considered the appropriation of his title, and wanted the film renamed.

I'm not buying it though. Sure in some ways windows 10 is minimal in its shitty choice of design and colors. Overall though windows 10 is a convoluted mess reeking of 2d trying is to be 4d.
>internet explorer and edge
>control panel and various settings
>layer after layer of bullshit
>how can we hide everything from a user and display trash instead
>I know lets hide please programs and show instantly gratifying trash instead
Fuck Windows 10 being considered minimal. Go boot DOS and use a text editor then get back to us with how "minimal" you still think Windows 10 is. Only a retard or shill will claim Windows 10 is still the most minimal flat OS in existence.

>Windows 3.1 was flat
Win3.1 was 3D-esque

Augmented Reality UI, you have to have the camera on at all times and superimposes shitty 3D elements that are impossible to touch properly in the right perspective. It uses "AI" of course, don't forget to put that on the slides.
Battery duration measured in picoseconds.
Dunno how they would try to staple it onto the desktop, but they will.

Have you been living under a rock? Frosted glass is already a massive thing. Mac OS has been extensively using it since 2014 and Microsoft has already ripped it off for Windows 10.

They visual style is 2D, with shadows used in a desperate attempt to make it clear where one window ends and another starts, since they took away all the normal visual cues.

I've used EDIT.COM. That's a TUI. Minimalist visual style means a GUI with as little and as simple visual bling as possible. Old text based (or nearly entirely text based) multitasking interfaces like DOS Shell qualify I suppose, but only because they barely left text mode.

The other stuff you mention is clusterfuckery outside of the visual style of the system.

It was a mix. 2D windows with either just a 1px black border or a simple 2D thick one. But then it had 3D buttons.

>Microsoft has already ripped it off for Windows 10
You mean Apple ripped it off. Windows was doing it since Vista. Microsoft just dusted off the "blur" feature of Aero after not using it at all in Windows 8.

Why apple tries to copy KDE 4?

No, Aero just added a blur to a normal transparent effect. Mac OS actually uses translucency, which is different, as background elements don't actually show through, they just affect the colour of the "glass". Windows 10 is now using it too.

What you describe was literally in windows vista.

How does that differ from a blur with a wider radius?

No it wasn't
Mostly just saturation and contrast. Try it and you can see that there is a visual difference. Windows Vista looked like actual glass, but a translucency effect is more like a frosted window pane. I won't pretend to know what goes on behind the scenes but it isn't the same for sure.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/os-x-10-10/4/
This shows pics

The next big thing will be abstract colors, shapes, and symbols.
A rainbow of meaningless gibberish where certain shapes perform certain actions and they change at random intervals.

Kind of like the live tiles on the Win10 start menu but OS-wide, never square, and overlapping.

fluent.microsoft.com/

This is what Microsoft is doing. Aero > Metro > Fluent.

It just adds to that "never-finished" UI look that Windows has had since Windows 8.

youtube.com/watch?v=X8x1ltUHcoY
youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4XPN9w_fI

Basically, transparent blurred backgrounds with useless animations

fpbp

Either more or the same blur, and less transparency. Also using a flat color instead of a texture with a specular highlight on it.

OS X uses a much wider blur radius, and it looks significantly different than Windows 10's. It also looks confusing since it's blurring higher up in the scroll bar of what's inside the window instead of what's under the window.