/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Nothing new edition

News: Ryzen APUs will release on Feb. 12. The 2200G (99USD) and 2400G (169USD) are similar to the R3 1300X and R5 1500X respectively in cores/threads+clockspeed, but they have integrated graphics. The 2200G has 8 Vega CUs and the 2400G has 11 CUs, so they're in the same performance tier as the RX 550 (8CUs) or GT 1030.

=====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/ffYWGX/gigabyte-z370-hd3-rev-10-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z370-hd3-rev-10
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/zgDzK8/gigabyte-z370-hd3p-rev-10-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z370-hd3p-rev-10
hardwarepick.com/motherboards/gigabyte-z370-hd3p-vs-gigabyte-z370-hd3/
youtube.com/watch?v=bjvYL123w4w
pcpartpicker.com/list/w4TrxG
pcpartpicker.com/list/vLNypG
pcpartpicker.com/list/FLTrxG
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

These temps can't be accurate... right?

if its idle it looks a bit warm
still not going to hurt anything though

i want to fug that raburaibu

Ryzen 3 1200 it's quite a beast for the price. At 3.7GHZ I don't see much bottlenecking with FFXV or Witcher 3.

The FFXV benchmark is fucked
there are a bunch of issues that make it so nothing will cause a CPU bottleneck

Technically it has the best price to core ratio out of all of Ryzen. The 1600 has the best price to thread and price to general performance ratio though so I would have gone with that. I guess you still have the option to upgrade to anything else down the line.

I bought the 1200 because I planned to buy a Ryzen 2X/ Ryzen Pro but also wanted to use the goddamn PC, and it seems I did good because of the fucked up GPU prices.

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

Is there any real difference between

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/ffYWGX/gigabyte-z370-hd3-rev-10-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z370-hd3-rev-10

and

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/zgDzK8/gigabyte-z370-hd3p-rev-10-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z370-hd3p-rev-10

?

looks like HD3P has slightly better IO

whats the best case?

hardwarepick.com/motherboards/gigabyte-z370-hd3p-vs-gigabyte-z370-hd3/

What are the chances a recent ryzen 1600 is an 8 core silicon lottery winner?

are 'reinforced' pcie slots a meme?

somewhat
with super heavy cards it seems like it makes sense

Phanteks Enthoo Pro

what is the best 1050 ti model?

Depends. If you are moving it around a lot while having a very huge card, thinking the bigger 1080ti, then yes. Otherwise waste of money.

would it protect against sag?

No. Your GPU will still sag.

how do I get my hands on some 90's ibm processor

it will still sag it just won't rip out the pcie port

Reminder
youtube.com/watch?v=bjvYL123w4w

The one that's cheapest.

when will cryptocels learn

Only thing that'll truly prevent sag is having something propping up the end of the card.

>1080 Ti in stock for msrp +$20
>Every other component I've been watching is up by $20-$70

Most doubtedly a mistake but I'm going to roll the dice and hope prices get better next month.

what about cooling and performance? Won't the cheap ones throttle?

Im still considering doing a hardline tubing build mainly for the looks and for fun but my understanding and experience is that the sound level eill be higher at idle for a watercooled pc than it would under water, and is only a little quieter when the gpu is under load.

So idk whether or not i should do it. Maybe i shouls just buy my motherboards monoblock so that i have the option to at a later date

Water cooling as a whole is done for looks/temps. Air cooling with good, silent fans will always produce less noise

Amd FX-9590 requires water cooling

... and your point is?

FUCK OFF WITH THAT COPYPASTA

what good is less noise if it can't cool it in the first place?

So your argument is
>You should definitely watercool this one particular housefire CPU
I just pointed out that watercooling is good for low temps/muh aesthetics, while good air cooling = less noise for less $$$. People have different priorities.

what good is a CPU with a TDP of 220W and a max temp of 57C that also gets outperformed by modern CPUs?

don't have to buy the cpu. Just showing that air cooling isn't always an option.

fair enough
outside of fringe cases everything they said is true though

inb4 he says "I don't want to upgrade yet"
>has money for custom watercooling
>won't spend it on better, more efficient parts that can be air cooled

he is just pointing out fringe cases
next he is going to point out consumer air coolers dont work on massive data centers

Yes, watercooling is justified and necessary in 2% of personal builds worldwide. We agree with you.

Just post a pic of your watercooled PC user, we know you want to

don't think you could handle it.

I know, thats what saddens me. D15 here and while i dont mins the looks i wouldnt mind a show piece. I hate noise though

No...

>thinking hes me
Were 9590 monoblocks even a thing?

Upgrading from i5 4460 to i7 8700k did I fuck up or was it a good decision

Water cooling *is* air cooling retard. Water distributes the heat to a bigger surface area allowing you to reduce the fan rpms and thus less noise. Don't even fucking say pump noise because a d5 isn't like your garbage off the shelf clcs.

Watercooling is the end all and the holy grail of aesthetics/temps/noise.

8700k + 1080ti here

Its max comf

I'm on a 970 right now but I'll consider it at some point

>Remember not to mix your metals, goy!

This is a lie. I have a custom loop exactly for the reason of being whisper quiet.
Particularly air cooled GPUs are loud as fuck. Good luck air cooling that shit with 500RPM fans.
You can get a whisper quiet pump and radiators with so much surface that it's all but completely silent.

Get a D5 vario and set it to 2/5
Get those Black Ice rads that work well even with fans below 800RPM
It will be quieter than any air cooled system.
The caveat is now you hear all sorts of other shit. You must have SSDs with this kind of system because hard drives will drive you mad. You'll also suddenly notice that coil whine you didn't know your PSU had.

>i7 8700k
Since the little guy in your image is gayman I think you'll be happy with that chip

Acceptable cases for air cooling
>you're too stupid to water cool
>you don't care about your personal rig being ugly
>you don't give a fuck and the comp is just a tool

Only tryhards with their shitty off the shelf d15s are bothered by custom loops, because they're jealous of how un-ugly it is.

And how much would such a setup cost?

400~500 if you want to buy it for "life" and reuse it through several builds.

$200~$300 for xsfeces kit / shitty ek kit

>You'd have to be an idiot NOT to throw your money away for some pretty tubes going around your PC case
Sure thing sweetey

Too much
A custom loop is full on waste-of-money-hobby-tier and hard to recommend for anyone
I was just pointing out how quiet you can get it

>he doesn't have disposable income from daytrading and mining crypto

lol

What case do you have that you need it to fit in?

>he still thinks a currency backed by no tangible wealth will make him rich
I hope you aren't HODL dude, THIS PLANE IS GOING DOWN IN FLAMES

I don't want it at all. I was just fishing for this exact response Custom waterloops are cool if you're a tech enthusiast and you want to show off. If your mum is the only one that will see it when she comes to clean your room once a week, it's pretty pointless

>you want to show off.
I don't have a window in my case. I have this loop for the silence.
My case sits on my table because my office is in our apartment. So it's nice that it's so quiet when I do voice work.

So you did it for practical reasons, I can get behind that. You fall in the 2% of people that actually require it.
Have you measured the decibel levels?

Gonna change my ryzen 5 1600 for 8700k. All I do at home on a computer is gayme @ 1080p and program shit.

Why even change then? The 1600 is perfectly capable of doing both of those

Everyone who mined in 2017 already made roi. Regardless if they had 6x rx580s or 600x 580s.

How do you even COPE? I made 38 cents these past 15 minutes talking to you. You've made nothing.

moron

Joke's on you, I made $9 in the past 15 minutes talking to you since I'm shitposting at work, like I do every day.
Feels good knowing that I can be productive 2 hours a day and then shitpost the rest of the time

>Have you measured the decibel levels?
No they're lower than ambient, so I'm not certain how to go about it

I got a 144hz monitor and want all of them frames to drive it. Ryzen is just not cutting it. I also lost the silicon lottery with mine, hits the wall at 3.8GHz, and a bad memory controller that doesn't want to go higher than 2933MHz with samsung b-die chips.

There are some apps that use the mic on your phone but those are probably quite inaccurate, still you can give them a shot

How much is 9 rupees?

How much faster are Samsung SSDs compared to Crucial?

Faster all around. Crucial drives used to be the go to choice for price: performance because Samsung stuff used to be close to $60-$80 more for the same capacity. But since crucial moved onto 3D NAND, they've gotten so close to Samsung in price, might as well buy Samsung.

Not to mention Samsung cut prices across the board to compete. I won't say crucial is bad, but if price is similar to Samsung, don't bother.

why do you guys lie so much in these threads?
ryzen cpus and

Remove Poozen from the OP, glorious Coffee Lake has rendered it entirely obsolete.

what gpu ? at 1080p a 3.8 1600 should have enough power for 140 fps

I intend to get the new AMD 2400G APU at launch. It's $179 on top of what I have. Any issues?

pcpartpicker.com/list/w4TrxG

1: the 2400G is $169
2: you need to flash the bios twice in order to use it. It likely won't work out of the box. Consider a cheap Bristol Ridge APU to get it flashed.

Having 16GB of RAM will be much better than having a shitty AIO. Buy a case fan if you want more airflow.
pcpartpicker.com/list/vLNypG

I live near a microcenter. Less than 15 minutes away. I could always buy the cheap Bristol ridge, flash it, return it.
pcpartpicker.com/list/FLTrxG

Better? Trying to keep the enitr build under $800 including the upcoming CPU. I only have the cooler because most times the stock APU cooler is garbage and I fully intend to OC.

Coffe/Kaby Lake>Poozen

Ryzen coolers are quite decent tho, especially compared to Shittel stock coolers

>Better? Trying to keep the enitr build under $800 including the upcoming CPU. I only have the cooler because most times the stock APU cooler is garbage and I fully intend to OC.
The Wraith Stealth is actually a decent cooler, and on the Ryzen 3 1200/1300X/Ryzen 5 1400, could handle a decent overclock. If you plan to overclock, look into a decent air cooler. Hell AMD has the Wraith Max, and is launching the Wraith Prism soon with more RGB disco lights.
The Prism is just a Max with more RGB. The Max is rated for like 125+ watts of cooling so it's more than capable of a full bore overclock.

Hmm. I'll give the stock one a go then. The Wraith Spire on my buddy's R5-1600 seems good. I could always just purchase an aftermarket cooler down the road if stock is insufficient.

Problem is that the Wraith max is sold separately and is like $80. Saw them on the shelf at Microcenter.I don't care at all about RGB.

I'll hold off on aftermarket for now then. See if the 2400G stock cooler is up to snuff for a moderate 3.6ghz clock without peaking at 80C. Thanks for the help guys.

Core2 fag here:
A Windows update solved the "Windows Update" memory leak. I had to restart a few times for it to show up.
No, 8GB of RAM wouldn't have fixed it, that's not how memory leaks work.

MSRP of the Wraith Max is $60.

buy a used i5/i7 Optiplex with Windows 10 and quit bitching.

>$60
Pic related. Must have just come down. But still, $60 for 212 EVO levels of performance is a bit steep.

212 Evo doesn't cool as well. The 212 Evo is between a Spire and a Max.
Besides. The 212 Evo is ugly as shit.

retailers always set prices well above MSRP so they can "discount" it and look like saints for being so generous

Seems the Max actually goes to to to with the 212 EVO while somehow being quieter. Even though it's a 92mm fan vs 120mm on the EVO. What black magic is this?

Temp charts.

And here's noise. I might get the max for my 1700X build...

The other benefit is the Max is a downdraft cooler so it blows air over the VRMs. The 212 Evo can't do that

because the 212 EVO is a meme cooler only pushed because it's cheap. Also the Wraith has a proper condensation thingy iirc, that helps a lot.

Looking more into it, the Wraith is making me want one for my main build that currently has a 212X Turbo on it. Hmm

I'll probably just get the Wraith Max for my 2400G build if it's stock cooler isn't enough
The downdraft cooling for the VRMs is attractive especially in an mITX case.