Electric arc furnaces

youtu.be/_jc1s3Rxtjw?t=252

These machines fascinate me.

How can they just flip a switch and suddenly demand and receive 115,000,000 watts of electricity from the grid? How does the power plant cope with such a sudden demand for electricity? What do the power lines going to a steel factory even look like?

lots of transformers, some big contracts, and one or two choice swear words
electricity is not rocket surgery

Getting the power there isn’t a problem because these plants tap into high voltage lines. Also these plants definitely have some sort of contract to run the arcs during off peak hours where the grid can easily cope. Power plants can’t just throttle down their turbines like flipping a switch and need industry to consume surplus power while most people sleep.

Sup Forums - pretty much anything

Worked at an aluminum smelter as a maintenance tech for a few months, They utilize a LOT of transformers and have dedicated high tensile lines just for them. You can feel the electricity in the air like a static charge waiting to pop, the hum of 60hz is almost deafening.

I have some questions for you: How did you get the certification, or education to become a maintenance tech? How did you get into the industry?

Technical college, 2 different degrees, electrical tech, mechanical tech, bachelors in both. took them both at the same time so instead of taking 4 years of schooling i only did 2 years by doubling up on classes.

As for getting into the industry, i used the colleges network of contacts to find an internship in the industry. Refinery work, isn't the best, but the pay was good. I used my skill set to get into the industrial laundry business, that honestly is way better in terms of technology and process tech/computers/robotics/automation than some.

in my experience Technical / Trade schools are a much superior avenue for learning a specific skill set rather than general learning.

>i used the colleges network of contacts to find an internship in the industry.
So educational nepotism as usual? Remind me why trades are a better option than liberal arts?

>Remind me why trades are a better option than liberal arts?

You already know why ;)

you have an arrangement with the power company; they know you are going to flip the switch before you actually do it.

Is that a time machine?

this. I don't know how it is now but some years ago they actually made a phone call.

desu

inductive phase line load balancing and capacative reactince offset lets the plant know somebody is doing something.

t. tech

I didn't go into either, faggot. But it seems like literally everyone of this generation who didn't have some form of nepotism working for them is struggling to find any job at all - in every single field. (Many are working minimum wage, but some struggle to find even that, especially full-time.) There are no fields really "in demand" anymore.

I would say the reason is computer. In previous days even when a man is worthless you can still pay him to draw or write or type, so as long so there is money coming in, you always have a place for dumb people.
And now it's all computer and brainlets become useless. And therefore you have to pass a minimum level of knowledge or skills in order to get a job, but if you get in, it's not as bad as Sup Forums told you.

If you suddenly put in a large load, you will draw the frequency and voltage down (a lot), which will sound the alarm in the plant's control center.
It will take them some time to increase the output after they dump more fuel into the turbines, so you should call them earlier.
It also depends on the type of the plant, by speed gas>coal>nuclear.
t. worthless intern at a small power plant

Read my post again, retard. But properly this time.
Hint: "knowledge and skills" having nothing to do with it.

That's a kind of skill desu.

>These machines fascinate me.
i hope not in the same way as Tiles interested other user...

Bump, tell me more about career, Sup Forums.

It's quite literally the exact opposite of skill, user.

Yes, you just need to crawl through that hole on the bottom and you will find yourself in another time.