What was it like using this?

Okay with your 1024x768 resolution.

Wouldn't want to use it on daily basis though these days.

You will never know how satisfying it was cleaning the dirt off the rollers.

the best was taking the ball and rolling in around in your hands

and putting it into your anus

and putting it out of your girly (male) friend anus

Pretty shit, the tracking force was relatively high, and the rollers would often skip, at least cleaning the dirt off was fun.

im still using one. used to have an optical mouse but a button failed on it and i have still not bought a new mouse. might get a trackball some day to replace it.

Better than early optical mouses.

It was fine, mostly like using a modern mice except that you had to clean the ball once in a while.

I saved a ball from an old Microsoft mouse and I also have a brand new in-package Trust ball mouse which I got for free but never opened or used (not even sure why I've been storing it for nearly 20 years).

soybois didnt exist back then

Which phone is that

I don't have fond memories of them.

Both the ball and the three rollers inside became dirty pretty soon because they would accumulate whatever random crap you had on your mousepad, that's if you had one to begin with. The result was a degradation in precision, little things at first like tiny jumps, then after a while your cursor would start to jump at the part where the dirt accumulated on the roller. You had to basically take out the ball and clean the insides (mostly rollers, the ball itself didn't usually get very dirty unless in extreme cases) on a regular basis if you wanted any sort of precision whatsoever. The worst part was that most people didn't care at all about it and everyone had dirty mice and their cursor jumped but they didn't care about it either. Optical mice are a godsent.

p gud. not great, but p gud.

>not having this

>switching to optical
>tfw you realized having a glass table was a bad choice for a pc
putting a pad on it just isn't the same

No different from having to open up your mouse now to clean the gunk off the scroll wheel.

Bonus if you get it all off in one strip[.

The ball had weight to it, it was a nice feel. Not nice enough for me to switch off optical, though. Might try a trackball if my wrist starts hurting again.

I've used these before and it was nice to keep my wrist stationary, but using my thumb to move the cursor never felt great. If I get another trackball it will be one that uses my fingers or one of the really big ones.

I was ok with everyone else not caring, more dirt to clean for me!

Optical mice are shit because most people use them on shiny or plain colored surfaces that make things MUCH more worse than a little dirt you can easily clean off and become someone's tech hero.

People always stole the balls from public machines.

not as good as this one

Painful

nice

>become someone's else tech hero
>>>/reddit/

>mice and boys had balls
How beautyful.

>someone's else
So you manually quoted me and failed miserably. We both know who belongs where now.

You have to be underage to have never used one of these before.

But have any of you whippersnappers ever laid their hands this piece of glorious tech?
Three buttons already in 1987. None of that smoothly contoured soyboy design - this one doesn't conform to your hand, it conforms your hand to itself. Super high resolution, 200 DPI.
Eat your hearts out.

How fucking young are you I'm 19 and I very clearly remember using these for many years.

This steel ball was collecting dirt and shit, and it required maintenance.
Optical mice are superior, because they don't rely on friction.

Are you using Vista?

Nope, 7.

Worked fine but with the higher DPI optical, they became inferior fairly quickly. They are most certainly better than early optical mice though!

I could vomit thinking about pulling dust and other detritus off those fucking rollers

But unfortunately not using that mouse at the moment, I have to admit, as it's got most of its cord, roller ball and housing screws cannibalized for other stuff ages ago.

However, it would be a really interesting project to restore that sucker and convert it to use a USB cord.

its called a trap you Sup Forumstard
and they did

The best part was using this.

Jesus Christ OP. Are literally 12 years old and have never used a mechanical mouse? Do you really think you will gain any depth of knowledge about them from this thread? Ffs go ask mommy for a couple bucks advance on your allowance to buy a mechanical mouse at the local Goodwill to try one out. Live a little irl for once in your life.

I agreed about it. It could be pain in the ass when you need to clean it.

You'd hear a lot of clacking. Not because the inside of the mouse was full of crap, but because the ball itself had some weight in it. So each time you repositioned, it made the sound.

Glorious

Pink Flamingos came out in 1972.

I wouldn't mind a modern ball mouse, provided they add sensitivity controls to the rollers and a simple cleaning method that doesn't involve a toothpick.

If you're young enough to not remember you need to leave now

they had a certain elegant simplicity. roller X, roller Y and a ball.

>Went to primary school in urban, inner-city school during the 90s.
>Kids used to steal the balls and/or throw them at each other.
Shit hurt like a fucking bitch.
Pretty satisfying to use compared to optical mice, though.

This was the best thing ever.

It's one thing to be young, it's another thing to be poor.

>urban, inner-city school
>niggers used to steal the ball

This was the literally the only real downside to mechanical mice. Changing between schools in cities with vastly different levels of cultural enrichment is one hell of a red pill. People like to blame stealing on poverty levels. As far as I know there's no bill you can pay in mouse balls. You can't even buy crack with mouse balls. Looking for a reason for this shit is like asking why dogs lick their balls. There's only one. They can and it feels good.

What the. Backstory?