Bash windows

Why isn't this option default?

All the ease of unix command lines while still having compatibility with all the programs normal people use.

Normies are too dumb for it, and Windows only caters for them.

normies don't open the cmd line period. so its irrelevant to them.

Because tasks running under it don't have access to GPU computing or any graphical output aside from the terminal

>All the ease of unix command lines
can't even mount an ext partition

> hey guys we have bash too! Only you can't use it for things like you do on Linux

tried it, liked it, convenient, but it's walled in and separated from the rest of the OS, so I found myself just using standard Windows binaries of things I would use in Ubuntu because it was just easier to develop in without having to figure out how to bridge the two for all my usecases. MinGW is just fine 90% of the time.

I guess I wasn't the target audience even though I originally thought I was

I don;t find it as a replacement for using unix, but its definitely helpful for running small programs without a windows equivalent or just quickly making small scripts to do things without having to learn how windows does all their shit.
more a dev thing than an administration thing.

>Bash on ubuntu on windows

It is slow as fuck

This

We often forget how fucking retarded most people in this world are. Linux is what? 2% of market share? Maybe 5% of the remaining 98% understand what GNU/Linux actually is?

who cares? it's not like it's hard to enable.

this is also true, though. Windows generally caters to consumerists and office drones, and then only includes support for developers as an afterthought. Visual Studio is alright, but I'd like to see a cleaner development environment, like Windows developer edition or something.

Yes, it's the bash ELF, running on the Ubuntu subsystem, being dispatched to the Windows (nt) kernel

It's for autists who want to fuck around when they're bored at work.

Windbg is far superior to gdb, so some of the dev tools are better

>not learning an obsolete UI makes you retarded
I don't know how to make an ox cart but my bike and car will both do 160MPH. If you're driving around in a cart you spent months building, who's the retarded one?

Yeah, no. Cut the bullshit, I've used all operating systems, and still use Windows, and Windows really isn't that much better. We're at a point more most operating systems are more than fine for the majority of people who just browse the web, consume music/video media, and do some office work. If you want a more accurate analogy, Windows is a brand new car with the latest features, and Linux is an off-brand or discount car with the basics included and the option to customize if you know what you're doing, but probably won't have the same level of enterprise quality as the Windows car.

linux is a spaceshit and if you only have to go to store to buy curry, then of course your fucking car werks. you don't need anything better than windows, gaymer currynigger. enjoy your os.

You seem to have missed where Windows has far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far more software than Linux.

L2English

s/\/viruses

You haven't been paying attention lately, have you? Only Linux, Mac, and unpatched Windows 7 machines get viruses anymore.

Fake and gay
Just install vsxsrv

Yeah but the things linux that widnows doesn't, that you'll actually be using at home is minimal.

other than fucking around for shitsngiggles, the only thing I've really had trouble with on windows is being able to do changes to massive amounts of files simultaneously. something that's trivial on linux.
but everything else
>network monitoring
>forensics
>compiling C programs
>anything with complex redirects or piping
none of that is something I do for fun at home, if I'm doing that I'm already on a designated work machine specifically for those things, which has no need for windows programs.

I tried this on my Windows 10 install and the performance was pretty bad. It functioned sort of okay when you need to run something, but if you need to install anything, or compile something from source, it's horribly slow. Took me 10 minutes just to run a routine apt update/upgrade, and I tested it multiple times. I don't know what the bottleneck was, but it was horrible compared to a native linux environment.

>unix
GNU*

I use it to run urxvt which I mainly use for git and vim.
When it first came out all filesystem access was very slow, but either I just haven't been doing affected workflows lately (apt update?) or it has got better.
While it's true that it isn't very tightly integrated into windows, it is more so than a VM.