Alright. I installed i3 like you guys told me. Now what? It's fucking ugly desu

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Riyyi/dotfiles
github.com/Riyyi/dotfiles/blob/master/.scripts/wm/battery.sh
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reinstall Gentoo.

I did that the last time you guys told me to

Get polybar ,Compton, Custom gtk theme and some terminal apps.

Start cooking your rice

Rice it.

My i3 bar looks like this.

>1600x25
did you have to do this

My Laptop doesn't go above 1600x900

Install dwm

But muh rice

Why would you care about that, are you retarded? ? It's just a fucking CPU. Get a case without a window or something.

Its only ugly if you dont configure it well

>semi-transparent windows
for what purpose

I like the way it looks, and i have a keybind to turn it off and on if i want

This

Looks good user.
Done anything cool with your setup?
i have set shuf to give me a random bg on startup/keybind
i also have a one handed mode, where all binds loose the need for $mod

What's the file manager?

ranger

Does it have dual-pane view?

ah yes, the "i'm about to take a screenshot" keybind

Thanks
>Done anything cool with your setup?
I wrote the scripts for the status bar and the volume and brightness can be configured with the mouse.

Besides that, it's just a normal i3 setup with i3blocks.
I'm trying to have a comfy but minimalistic setup.
github.com/Riyyi/dotfiles

Add gaps, install polybar, compton and rofi.
Change wallpaper and rice everything (colors and fonts).
Not that hard but you may loose 4 hours doing it because it's really addictive.

no, the "oh shit my battery is under 50% keybind"

Im not completely sure. it has tabs, but im not sure if you can display them side by side. In all honesty, i dont even use the tabs, because ever folder i use regularly has a keybind that takes me straight to it.

>I wrote the scripts for the status bar and the volume and brightness can be configured with the mouse.
that sounds pretty cool, thanks for the github link, ill have a sus

>I stupid, desu
Sometimes a post contains a filtered word e.g. "desu" because someone replied to multiple persons including the moron using the filtered word.
Can ChanX or Clover somehow distinguish between the two cases?
>Something interesting
ib4 such things are discussed here

Anyone else get weird flickering with compton on opening windows and stuff? It's really annoying.

so you can actually read the text and have a background that isn't a solid color

It is supposed to be ugly.

Are those colors static ?
I've been thinking about writing a i3blocks script that would change the colors of the hdd icon once it reaches a certain load.

>want to open some archive
>system hung up
>few minutes later
>/usr/bin/sensible-pager: 3: /usr/bin/sensible-pager: Cannot fork
T-thanks

works on my machine :^)

Intel GPU? Try the SNA acceleration instead of UXA, or vice versa.

dat package count

I thought about giving arch a go when my ssd failed a few days ago but ended up with debian, even a standard install is like 1400 packages.
I initially went with debian due to time constraints (needed the laptop for a presentation the next day) but spent almost an hour removing bloat.
I've looked over the installation guides, doesn't seem to be too much trouble.
Whats your experience with arch in terms of stability ?

I'll give it a shot, thanks

>so you can actually read the text
You can't read the text without visual clutter?

Arch is perfectly stable despite the memes. Also, it's a good way to get to know Linux despite the frustrations one may have in the beginning, certainly worth giving Arch a try even if you don't stick with it.

The main selling point of Arch, other than the idea of building it up from scratch, is the AUR.

>Are those colors static ?
Not him, but no, in my script I change the color when my battery is under 20%.
Ex: github.com/Riyyi/dotfiles/blob/master/.scripts/wm/battery.sh

What you do is do 3 echo's at the end of your script
- full text
- short text
- color

>Whats your experience with arch in terms of stability ?
I'm the user from the picture, and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. I actually run Arch on my home server.
The 'pacman -Syu' meme killing your system is mostly due to video drivers being incompatible with the current X.org, where Nvidia gives you the most trouble. But Optimus laptops have the iGPU connected to the display so that's mostly a non-issue.
Sometimes during updates you have to handle .pacnew files but besides that it never gave me serious problems:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

Be prepared to have enough free time to set up most things, because it does cost quiet a bit. You can then fine-tune it further over time.
Backing up your dotfiles in a git repo is also nice to do, mine are in this post:

why does the logo look like a stick figure getting DP'd by the ones above and below it?

why would you install i3 when it has been obsoleted by sway?

this is bait
>actually functional software
>obsoleted by half-baked incomplete mess that doesn't even allow you to use your own screenshot tool

>waymeme

How do I make things tile in a nice way. You guys all have it like:
1 2
3 4

But for me it's
1 2 3 4

If your lazy like me you install lxappearance.

For me it's
3 4

You have to change the split with keybinds
$mod+v to launch a program under the current program
$mod+h to launch a program to the right of the current program
these are the default binds, they can be changed

use mod+h or mod+v when opening stuff

Ah, ok

Actually sit down and read the docs and your config file, it will show you what you can actually do with your system.

will never unsee

>it's a good way to get to know Linux
What does this even mean, stop beeing delusional. I'm not judging if you want to rice your meme-distro but don't throw invalid justifications around senpai

Good job OP!
Now mv your i3wm .config to ~/you/.config/swaywm

;D

Is this the new rice thread?

>muh package count
Also a standard Debian install isn't 1400 packages

Not him, but I share the sentiment. Arch requires you to configure many things manually instead of having them setup for you or some kind of easy GUI that helps you through it. It familiarizes you with a few files and how to create/edit them so that if anything goes wrong you can generally figure it out yourself and maybe even fix it.
If the only distro you've used is Ubuntu and something goes wrong, you'll probably have no idea what happened or how to fix it.
Obviously this doesn't apply to experienced users, but anyone asking for distro recommendations isn't experienced.

>Now what? It's fucking ugly
search around and make it not ugly. It will take you like 30 minutes or less. Maybe an hour if you go around writing specific shit you want it to do for you with a couple of key strokes.
For example you can have fixed windows while switching through spaces, you can also make certain windows do whatever you need them to do if they are from a certain program, get polybar, lemonbar or i3blocks (if you don't care for anything fancy)

Filtered words desu senpai

>fish