Downgrading from win10 to xp

Is there many threats for the computer ? Would I win anything ? Would 7 be better ?

Other urls found in this thread:

cicsmemoryplayer.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

kys

>Is there many threats for the computer ?
XP is safe, as are all OS, as long as you keep it clean
>Would I win anything ?
you would win more HDD space and probably a faster OS if you are running it on an old spec
your problems would be: new/newer/new-ish spec and programs that no longer support XP
>Would 7 be better ?
7 is a safe bet if you don't like 10 and aren't sure if you could get XP running

Might as well use reactos

why downgrade to xp when you can upgrade to gentoo

XP is not patched for Meltdown/Spectre, not even WES09 and POSReady 2009

The meltdown patches out there are a mess anyway. Browsers are patched and you're just as likely to download a Meltdown/Spectre related virus as any other. Just use common sense and the typical safebrowsing methods and you don't need the patches as a casual user tbqh

>Would 7 be better ?
Yes.

Im not sure about threats, maybe some targeted insecurities in win7/10 are different in xp ?

But one thing is for sure is that you'll be running old ass software thats no longer supported.
1080p video might be a problem because h264 / hvec h.265 codecs arent supported.

You'd win about 750mb of ram usage and like 6 gb on your os drive.
Not worth it imo.

7 would be better. Either way you need a whitelist based external firewall. Remove admin privileges as soon as you install everything you need. Disable most services and default software and replace with alternatives.
XP is no longer supported by majority of software, so you wouldn't really have that much to do on it. W7 still has years before it's abandoned by 3rd party software, perhaps over a decade until majority of software stops supporting it.
Still, XP is very inefficient. So definitely replace even system tools. Definitely go for w7 if your device has more than 2GB RAM.

Consider your hardware, if you wish to utilize 64-bit, then Win7 64-bit is superior.

WinXP is great for a 32-bit platform, if you know what you're doing. WinXP 64-bit just isn't a good plan, it was never fixed and patched and a lot of software either won't work or works buggy on it.

If you have a solid 64-bit machine and lots of RAM to burn ... like, 12 GB min, 16 GB or 24 GB better ... consider a linux distro and run both WinXP 32-bit & Win7 64-bit in virtual machines. That setup will give you every option you can possible need for at least the next five years.

If you absolutely have to run games, consider a dedicated SSD with a Win7 install. That way you can dual boot, one way into linux with WinXP/Win7 VMs for productivity and the other into bare-metal Win7 optimized for games.

And, yes, I keep an older WinXP machine around to run legacy stuff. About once a week or so these days. You need all your Common Sense 2018 + Skillz to run it safe, but it's complete;y do-able.

If you're skilled enough to be running WinXP, you don't need those patches. If you're a script kiddie running XP because m3m3 h4XX0rz, you deserve what happens to you.

What no-one mentions because we aren't on Sup Forums: it has no direct X 11 and up support

>skilled enough to be running WinXP

>browsers are patched
Yeah, all the browsers that won't run on XP are patched.

>750 megs of ram
Which he'll then lose to the fact that he's going to be using 32 bit XP if he wants any driver support to work.

>XP is safe, as are all OS, as long as you keep it clean

Do a simple normal web surfing on XP during 45 minutes and you will end up with 4 troyans 6 malwares and 3 keyloggers. XP was terrible.

Nice meme.

May as well downgrade to 7 Enterprise (you can find it via Google, archives) and just install the security updates. Ignore the KB's microdick tried to push to enable similar-to-10 telemetry, and you're good to go. Stable, secure and reasonably "private". Running it myself.

it's not much of a hurdle, but even installing win7 on newer boards and no ps2 is more hassle than most idiots are willing to put up with.

>XP
Bleh!

Windows 98 SE is the way to go mate. Put it on a laptop and you win lots of pussy for using /BestOS/.

Nice font rendering.

Are you posting from a 3rd world computer lab?

As much as I love XP, if you are planning to do actual work on your computer install 7
I have XP and I cant even install firefox quantum

Enjoy your BSOD.

If you're going to use Windows, then use Windows 7 Ultimate with security updates only or Windows 10 LTSB. Anything else is just retarded. Don't use XP at all on anything unless it's for retro games on an ancient machine that you don't use any networking on. At that point, you might as well try to use Windows 2000 Professional.

Can you run modern programs on Windows XP (I heard about some emulators? that can run modern apps even on 9x)
Why do I need a Wine on unstable kernel?

I use my old xp machine as a lossless audio server for my high end hifi. I replace winlogon.exe with Minlogon.exe and use a player that substitutes for the explorer shell. cicsmemoryplayer.com/

Arguably no matter what you will be doing Windows 7 will be the best choice as it is more modern and compatible with more drivers and software.
Other things to consider:
>32x OSes have ram limitation of 4gb. This 4gb limit is cut into by the hardware and video card so rarely will more then 3gb be available even if more is installed.
>In 32x OS no process can run more then 2gb of ram no matter how much is installed or recognized by the OS. Virtual ram wont up the limit. So software can crash if it tries to access more then 2gb of ram or vram.
>Only go XP if you wont be using SSHDs. XP has no trim so SSHDs will always read fast but will slow writing over time.
>Most software will run on XP but sometimes an older version of the software will need to be used.
>Driver support for your hardware needs to be considered. Driver selection may be better on XP or Win 7 for your hardware.
>If installing 64x OS Win 7 is the best choice more often then not. It also runs better then XP 64x. XP 64x was a half ass OS so driver and software support can be shitty depending on your hardware and software choices.
>When it comes to drivers for your hardware check manufacturer's website for official drivers. Depending on the hardware there may be XP, Win 7, neither, or both. Ideally you'll want legit for your OS.
>If you go Win 7 when it comes to drivers if they are not made for your hardware but Vista drivers are the Vista drivers sometimes work.
>When looking for drivers if the computer is a pre built like a Dell check the manufacturer website but also the hardware's website. Sometimes a company like Dell will abandon driver support but Intel will have newer chipset drivers for example. So try to ID as much of the chipsets, audio, lan, ect. and go directly to those manufacturers.
>Win 7 has the best interface and access to OS hacking and tweaking.
>As history has shown Win 7 more then likely will be less susceptible to Windows rot and and instability over time compared to XP.

doesn't work on real hardware

back to /r/the_donald

XP has a 2tb HD maximum size as well. They may be a work around for some scenarios but more often then not HDs over 2tb won't be recognized in XP.

Stop lying

>using Windows 10
>being this retarded

>Do a simple normal web surfing on XP during 45 minutes and you will end up with 4 troyans 6 malwares and 3 keyloggers. XP was terrible.
Man, you must have done so many things wrong.

I use xp every single day,mostly for playing counter strike and other old games

there's the threat of you having a deprecated operating system on your computer

No 32bit windows is

>twokinds general

Would you downgrade to DOS if the answer is no then why the fuck would you downgrade to XP?

>hur DOS and XP are like the same thing
Try not to post anything this retarded ever again.

>Is there many threats for the computer ? Would I win anything ? Would 7 be better ?
Expect your shit to be cryptlocked by some angry slav in a week, tops.

>Just use common sense
You should say that out loud before typing it so you'll realize how stupid it sounds.