/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread:What are you working on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
gameenginebook.com/
norvig.com/design-patterns/design-patterns.pdf
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1803815
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15886037
youtube.com/watch?v=q8stPrG1rDo
docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/data/buffers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

when will Sup Forums neets develop a decent gui for mpv?

What is wrong with the default one?

There is no default one

NORMEN LEAVE MPV-CHAN ALONE REEEEEE

smplayer not good enough for you, and why would you want to use one?

c++ is the greatest language of all time

Where do I start with c++? I never coded before, but I figure this is an important language to learn.

smplayer is shit. I prefer that korean player over that

How do I fizzbuzz in holyc? Asking for a friend.

What do you mean?
This is the default gui

>I prefer that korean player over that
Then keep using gook player, or whatever you use to soothe your autism user.

A good place to start is to make stuff you know how should work.
Can you give examples to fields where you have some knowledge that you think could be enhanced by programming?

Haskell is useless.

By design.

Well I’m currently enrolled at uni for economics and finance, so perhaps something with the capacity to estimate investment growth based on multiple variables? I’m not entirely aware of any useful applications in truth due to my work experience being fairly limited. However, my goal end goal is to be proficient enough to create games and mobile applications with some value.

I don’t want to blog post, but I’ve realized that if you’re pursuing something in life you’re not passionate about you’ll often be damned to mediocrity. I just hope I have the capacity to be a cut above idealistic children wishing to work for Nintendo or something...

Dumb freshman.

Care to give a little more insight than that?

Your demeanor is that of a dumb freshman.

You’re right I should do what i don’t want to do instead of pursing what I wish. I’m sure you’re a very fulfilled guy

just do economics. coding is boring anyway

stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
gameenginebook.com/

You don't start with C++ if you have never programmed before.
Start with C or python or even Java. But C++ will give you brain damage.

who else /golang/ here

Designing an API in Go makes me realize how much I fucking hate Node

java is ok to start with but i disagree about C and python they have different coding styles that fuck you up (probably why you think C++ gives you brain damage)

How do i learn to do good cool things with qt

I managed it, C++ puts hair on your chest. Python is for babbies who don't care about performance and never want to learn good programming habits.

C++ in no way teaches good programming habits. C gives you that and better performance if that's your goal.

t. jon blow dinosaur oldfag

define good programming habits

name one good habit you pick up from C++ that aren't just workarounds for C++'s deficiencies.

Getting the hang of codewars.

Realised just how long it's been since I've really sat down and coded anything and I'm useless at coming up with my own ideas. Seems a decent way of building up some learning.

Anyone else using it?

>autists don't know when to use the right tool for the right job
>pragmatism don't real bruh
I honestly pity you

LGTM

I forgot a few ecks dee

Neither are perfect but I like both.

what is the right "job"? what's the matter, can't admit that you're a webdev?

Object lifetime management?

norvig.com/design-patterns/design-patterns.pdf

These slides are more than 20 years old, but they're still "fresh" today. There's even a bunch of stuff on machine learning and neural networks.

Norvig was a visionary.

Learned equally well by using C.

I'm doing CodeFights and Hackerrank in my downtime and considering doing Leetcode. I find that even when you can't solve a challenge, working at it makes you consider your approaches to solving problems and visualizing them in code, which is good for your skills. When it starts to settle in, they all come a lot easier, especially if you keep up on studying algorithms/DS (which you should).

Download a skin for it. It will look as good as all other shitty video players

>thinking anyone who disagrees with his autismo opinion is a webshit
Bobby go play with your fidget spinners, the professionals are talking here

What is the best IDE and why is it Light Table, /dpt/?

>he still can't mention a relevant non-web, non-pajeet use case for regex

>Norvig was a visionary.
in some ways
and a retard in others, e.g. "Python is like LISP", for which he was properly mocked

how about parsing the level of your retardation?

You have nothing to express object's lifetime in C, m8.

>regex uses dont real
this is what g/neets actually believe

nigga you need to get out in the real world from time to time, you're going in too deep in your delusions
what's next, C is the only appropriate language for all tasks?

not an argument tho

you still got BTFO tho
OHHHH

kys webfag

how about a single good example from the "real world", regex isn't as common outside of web dev as you seem to think it is, neck yourself fucking retard

Wow, you're really fucking retarded.People use regex all the time, all over the place.
If you ever use the command line, knowing/using that shit will save you a ridiculous amount of time.

>command line
lmfao never change Sup Forums

I'll take a look at those. This is one thing I struggle with though. For example, I've done where I need to manipulate strings.

I've always eventually managed it, but then I compare my answer to the others and they're using features of the language, such as StringBuilder with multiple methods on it. Whereas I'm using multiple lines to do little bits.

Rust does that better too.

don't expect too much out of him, kid probably can't get himself out of a bag without his GUI
oh nvm, looks like it's only pretending to be retarded

C has no built-in cleanup mechanism, you have to remember to do it yourself once you longer have a use for the object.

practice makes perfect m8
now that you know about SB, and vaguely remember it had methods for X and Y, you'll do better next time

Exactly the point. C makes you think about object lifetimes.

Makes you forget, too.

Project logfind
from Learn c the hard way

That's what C++ does by having so much implicit behavior. The original point was about good habits. C++ does not raise these.

ive been working on a solar system thing. the idea is that i want to be able to see a current "solar clock" at any given time, and amazingly I couldn't find any online that werent ridden with horoscope and astrology nonsense or outdated Flash players.

These positions are accurate as of today. the "trails" behind the inner 4 planets are all 7 days long, and the tick-marks for Mars/Earth/Venus are located on the 1st of each month. Mercury has 7 day tick marks. J/S has 1yr and U/N has 10 yrs. The data is pulled from NASA.

The whole point is to remove the burden of resource cleanup from the programmer so that the code has less boilerplate and more actual logic.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1803815

"
Peter Norvig here. I came to Python not because I thought it was a better/acceptable/pragmatic Lisp, but because it was better pseudocode. Several students claimed that they had a hard time mapping from the pseudocode in my AI textbook to the Lisp code that Russell and I had online. So I looked for the language that was most like our pseudocode, and found that Python was the best match. Then I had to teach myself enough Python to implement the examples from the textbook. I found that Python was very nice for certain types of small problems, and had the libraries I needed to integrate with lots of other stuff, at Google and elsewhere on the net.
I think Lisp still has an edge for larger projects and for applications where the speed of the compiled code is important. But Python has the edge (with a large number of students) when the main goal is communication, not programming per se.
"

Basically, he pushed python because his students were brainlets.

Read the c++ book buy Bjarne Stroustrup. That’s how I was taught in school. Get yourself set up in a coding environment, try to do the examples given in the text book. Look up some coding challenges for beginners when you’re comfortable with some basic syntax and do them.

In systems programming, resource allocation and deallocation is not boilerplate to hide under the floorboards. It is program logic.

heres the current and historical position Voyager I and Voyager II. this is made in python

>1-2 fps
i believe it

Was actually thinking of this chain in particular, including a statement from a supposed witness of said meeting:
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15886037

And when Norvig made that claim in from of McCarthy, McCarthy disagreed.
> Peter bravely repeated his claim that Python is a Lisp.
> Yes, John?" Peter said.
> I won't pretend to remember Lisp inventor John McCarthy's exact words which is odd because there were only about ten but he simply asked if Python could gracefully manipulate Python code as data.
> "No, John, it can't," said Peter and nothing more, graciously assenting to the professor's critique, and McCarthy said no more though Peter waited a moment to see if he would and in the silence a thousand words were said.

>I was at that meeting. The mood in the room toward Norvig was "Who are you and what have you done with Peter Norvig?"

here's cassini.

the fps is actually due to the hard coded zoom changing, i can probably make it flow nicely if I lower the ratio.

>I prefer that adware/malware player over that

and here is the trajectory of the Tesla roadster, and its current position, which is less than a million km from the earth.

That's why nobody writes OS's in c++?

what i mean by hard coded is, im just pushing a button to zoom to 120% and 80%. its not "animated" and taking a long time to "render". the position data from NASA is actually pretty efficient believe it or not.

There are a whole host of other good reasons not to write an OS in Linux.
Mainly that each of C++'s failings becomes especially harmful in such constrained environments, and the set of acceptable features is practically reduced to those in C.

*in C++.

True, I'll keep practicing with it and the other ones.

What I worry is that I'll start a project of my own which works, but could be achieved cleaner/more efficiently with things that I just wasn't aware of.

I want to make something useful...
but no idea what

Are you interested in learning a powerful and modern scripting language? Bored with Python or Ruby? Jump in to Perl 6 today!

youtube.com/watch?v=q8stPrG1rDo

So what if it can? If it's a pet project, just go back and change stuff as you find/think of better ways to do them and want to change them. If it's a work project, as long as it meets the business requirements it's not important for the code to be clever or especially efficient. If you think you can improve the program significantly, then you can talk about improving it as technical debt with the stakeholders, but if it isn't worth it just start using your new solutions in future code and improve it the next time you are going over that section of code.

>weeb

go figure

I wrote a little language for writing music for my game and found C++'s regex useful.

pedo website

I've got a phone interview for a software engineer summer internship next week.
What kind of stuff should I be prepared for them to ask me?

I'm thinking more about how to use the code as a portfolio to get a coding job.

>start a project of my own which works, but could be achieved cleaner/more efficiently with things that I just wasn't aware of.
happens to most people
you learn till the day you die etc
just keep on learning, and keep on (timeboxed) asking yoursef "is this approach retarded" from time to time. Don't go full impostor syndrome tho, it's a classic in IT/CS
just drop by places where you can anonymously get dick^Wfeedback on your approaches, e.g. Sup Forums, and remember that most of what you read is some retard's opinions

then run it by peeps who can give you feedback, before using it for an application

They might ask you to come in a frilly skirt to prove you're a real programmer.

What kinds of experience do you have, what do you know about their company, what are you studying, etc. You might be asked to solve a programming-related problem of some kind.

Read "Cracking the coding interview", the intro is fairly short and tells you a lot of the types of questions big companies do, and gives you some practice exercises, and it's categorized by things like linked lists, trees, stacks/queues etc, then some general problems.

Make a version of IMDb for anime

Then focus on making a good product, not on how good your actual code is. Using basic features instead of advanced ones shouldn't be a problem.

If C++ features are so bad in OS and system programming, then what domains benefit from these features? Gaming? Simulations? Science?

Academic masturbators

also half of the FP wankery

They thought they were advantageous to software engineering in the 90s. Now there's no excuse.

It works sure, but it's like doing for loops rather than stringbuilder, for example.

But I'll keep chipping away. I'm not sure whether to bother going for this interview or not.

go for it, dumbass
unless the negative outcomes would be worse than "eh, didn't get this job"
costs vs benefits

docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/data/buffers.html