Pale Moon Removed from OpenBSD Ports due to Licensing Issues

Palefags BTFO!

>This issue is now officially resolved. There will be no Pale Moon browser, official or not. The port has been removed. Farewell, petulant children.

Pale moon dev confirmed a faggot!

github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/issues/86

Other urls found in this thread:

svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=461119
forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18256
tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4809:rwtz7w.1.1)
github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/commit/59812ef678fa40b306cee4ef3f3a7278c12dd7ae
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/emulators/retroarch/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just install Linux already.

>OpenBSD
literally the hipster among hipster thing.

Regardless sounds like the Pale moon devs were looking for a power trip over licensing on a work in progress port that was supposed to make the browser even work on OpenBSD

>implying you can't download linux tar and build on freebsd
The newbie in charge of porting modified libraries that would cause problems for both sides

They sperged out over branding/trademarks and threatened lawyers. OpenBSD already has Firefox in ports so there's no need.

OpenBSD apparently doesn't allow bundled libraries anyway, this was going to happen sooner or later.

Still didn't need to be taken to that level though I will agree both sides were being complete retards and this outcome is deserved.

I guess that's an unfortunate licensing on Pale Moons end and they should understand when occasions like this may arise and that there should be a cooperative effort on both ends to make such thing work but oh well I suppose.

svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=461119

Nice

Agree, they could at least be a little more courteous, this Matt A. Tobin guy especially sounds like a faggot.

I went through the patches of listed libs - compilations options (sometimes hardening, sometimes proper conditional OS matching), actual fixes, few pledge bindings. nss and nsprt patches is huge and I have no idea what it's doing. No idea how much it's needed to compile.
but thing I don't understand is sqlite. I thought it's not in base anymore?

indeed, it's not in base

the legal threats are absolutely ridiculous
he's only published a build script he wrote himself, he doesn't redistribute PM in any way whatsoever

>the legal threats
if you don't act like a chad people will abuse you

Portage trees is mentioned in 8b

So what?
PM's software license is backed solely through the copyright. If you don't touch anything copyrighted then the license has no power at all.

>he doesn't redistribute PM in any way whatsoever
The script build pale meme with official branding, this was the original problem of the PM devs.
The rest was literally just shit-throwing contest, I believe with some intelligent conversation they could have resolved the problems in a much favourable way.

>The script build pale meme with official branding,
Which isn't redistributing it.

It would be a different story if PM was a registered trademark like Firefox but it isn't.

not as hipster as openindiana, which literally has a rolling release name of "Hipster"

>Pale moon dev confirmed a faggot!
We already know, he disabled extensions he didn't like

>OpenBSD apparently doesn't allow bundled libraries anyway,
Still some people call rms the biggest sperglord.

>You must not reconfigure the build system or browser preferences beyond what is necessary to produce the browser on the target operating system. Any individual additional configurations done on the browser (either build- or run-time) must be done by the end user, not imposed by package maintainers/distributors. In principle, browser preferences and the supplied profile defaults must not be changed for the exception outlined in this point.

Bundled libraries are cancer

this is because openbsd usually has patched libraries already so it can work with their OS

it would be a retarded duplication of effort

It doesn't matter what's in the license.
The whole license simply does not apply since none of the intellectual property is used.

PM is trademark
Actually if you see in this thread: forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=18256
the pale moon dev was polite with the shithead but he still refused to remove his build or justify changing libraries
he didn't know what he was doing to be honest.

The official branding is trademarked, the guy trying to port PM to OpenBSD used the official branding without complying to the rules you must play by if you want to use it.

Bullshit.
The only trademark of "Pale Moon" I can find in the TESS (tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4809:rwtz7w.1.1) is dead.

TrueOS has a good PM port because they didn't fuck up the libraries (some freebsd guy said it would be tedious to use PM's)
I do think PM licensing is protected by copyright in a way that if the openbsd guy didn't remove they could have sued him easily. They don't own the libraries but they have the right to not wanting their code to be used in a way they don't allow (since they have a guide in their website to compile in a way that it doesn't affect mozilla and pale moon)

The guy doesn't violate the copyright.
He doesn't any of their copyrighted material.

It is just a build script.

Come home white man

he shared a PM build without following the guideline and in that case I think the pale moon license is saying you can't do it

... reading Freebsd comment section I also think when there is a software with trademark they must "build with all of their bundled libraries ". They said this was going to take time and they wanted to use their shared libraries to save time. So in that case freebsd will have to do what moonchild said even if the openbsd incident never happened

I'm sure both end users where devastated...

-ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/commit/59812ef678fa40b306cee4ef3f3a7278c12dd7ae

He doesn't share PM.
He shares a script, that he wrote, that builds it in a certain way.

Why can't you grasp this?

>that builds it in a certain way
that produces something that violates PM licensing?
Regardless, the freebsd was already in conflict with PM and thanks to this controversy they just realized this. The way it was before was bad for PM and FreeBSD since FreeBSD was violating their own license which states that they can't use their system libs with trademark (PM)

>that produces something that violates PM licensing?
He doesn't share the product of it.

>implying FreeBSD is OpenBSD

it was probably just as slow as firefox is on it so nothing valuable was lost. using openbsd as desktop os was terrible.

This ibara fatass looks exactly like you'd expect a pissy, self-righteous forum mod to act

Why? Isn't that what Windows does?

BSD is retarded for desktops (Applel is not a BSD). No loss if no Pale Moon.

there's no need to drag him down further, the poor guy already has enough with looking at himself in the mirror and then realizing that the only authority he will ever have is over a shitty github

>OpenBSD

Windows is cancer

Agreed, but what's the issue with bundled libraries?

Yeah, I should totally stick with Linux when I find OpenBSD to be a better OS and can do everything with it that I did with Linux

why would they distribute something that is not even free software?

>no multhithreading
>no journaling file system
>no flash file system (doesn't even support TRIM in 2018 wtf)

Cult or spam? Can't decide.

What?

>no multithreading
Wrong.
>journaling
A valid point that I really don't give a shit about.
>no flash FS
See above

>if i don't need a feature, nobody should either

>BSD
Not even once.

>putting words in my mouth
Your autism level sure has increased. In fact, it's off the charts.

I'm super close to installing openBSD, as I'm sick and tired of where red hat and co. are taking linux.
I have a few questions
>Is there a virtualbox/qemu/KVM equivalent so I can run my weeb VNs?
>Is there a WINE equivalent so I can run my weeb games?
>Is there an up-to-date retroarch port so I can run my retro weeb games?
>What DE choices do I have other than xfeces? Is MATE or TrinityDE an option?
>How is the ryzen/FX and AMD GPU support?
>How difficult is it to encrypt an SSD and also have TRIM enabled?
thank

>Why? Isn't that what Windows does?
exactly

There is no WINE on OpenBSD, there is QEMU for it but I don't think it works very well they're currently working on their own implementation of virtualization trough vmm, I don't know about retroarch, you have pretty much all DE's Linux has, there should be support for the hardware you asked about (you might have to run -current tho), encryption is turned on by default but the filesystem used on OpenBSD has no trim support.

You gonna """love""" openbsd.

there's a retroarch port, but it's pretty out of date.

retroarch's development is pretty unstable so it's hard to keep up with, and let's not forget that it uses its own downloader to manage cores which are .so linux libraries. porting it is not trivial. i'm tempted to actually fix it myself some day.

But why is it bad though?

>>A valid point that I really don't give a shit about.
>I don't care about losing data when power is interrupted to my system

>>A valid point that I really don't give a shit about.
Do you not have an SSD? You're literally wearing out faster than even NetBSD because there's no TRIM.

nvm i'm a fucking idiot
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/emulators/retroarch/
>Update to retroarch-1.7.0

Of course I do. When it wears out, I'll buy another.

thanks dudes
guess im stuck on linux until virtualization gets good and they implement trim

>wine

Just install Windows and stop being a retard

CALL THE CHAN POLICE IVE BEEN SLANDERED!!!

*brap*
Whoops.
That one wasn't dry lads.
I'm also dislexic because I can't read or follow the rules.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
My asshole still hurts from getting rekt by WolfBeast!
I wish I weren't such a fatfuck or else I'd have something else to do besides complain to autists about something that doesn't involve them.

t. ibara

Wew, lad..
It's like I'm looking in a mirror!

Pass the mountain dew

Who cares? BSD sucks.

>until virtualization gets good
What do you mean? No virtualization software supports openbsd. Why not try another BSD?

To be honest, all BSD fags do is start drama and draw some sort of weird snuff yaoi with tux and their retarded mascots or do literal cosplay during any free software convention and symposiums.
How can you even take any BSD fag seriously?
BSD is like that vegan friend who keeps telling everyone he's vegan instead of fucking eating a salad.

It's not bad, it doesn't even matter. It's just some inconsenquential shit for autists to argue about.

But I mean, since it doesn't matter, it also doesn't matter that it's not allowed, it's just a little more work for the people distributing the software.

Welp, I used to be a pale moon shill, but this is pretty much the last straw. I guess I'm sticking with Waterfox.

i aint reading all this shit
why should i stop using pale moon?

tl;dr: Some faggot (not the main developer, but someone who is authorized by him) blew up the OpenBSD ports people saying "you will make X Y and Z changes" because they're butthurt that OpenBSD is making code changes and still calling it PaleMoon.

It's like the Debian/Firefox thing from years ago, only more autistic.

Also apparently the palemoon faggots don't know about freedom 4.

something similar happened with opensuse too, was fucking stupid, they changed the name to "Newmoon" to avoid this thing

that's fucking stupid as shit
am i missing something here? they're so butthurt over some changes that they will nuke a portion of their userbase? i cant see how it puts their pride or success on the line by letting them change it. theyre only hurting the success of their own browser.

They're so butthurt over muh trademarks (damn the 4th freedom) that they'll gladly piss off devs and alienate users, yes. All because they're too stupid to tell people "this is a problem with your packaged version, talk to them not us" like every other developer with a brain.

Basically, palemoon folks have zero maturity and you should consider using literally anything else.

>No virtualization software supports openbsd
OpenBSD's does.

Probably for the best, I doubt pale moon fits the security focus of openbsd given that it's based on several outdated builds of firefox hastily mashed together by one guy. If you want outdated firefox you could just do that

he doesn't fucking produce it or share the product

it's like I wrote a guidance how to make maple syrup and some maple syrup manufacturer threatens me for publishing a recipe

>im stuck on linux

that's a good position to be stuck on.
> linux is life