Why aren't side buttons on a mouse the standard?

How come some people can survive without side buttons to go back and forward on browser history?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wQxw-pX4dak
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shortcuts, gestures, whatever. It's more about habits and preferences than anything.

I literally never use any additional buttons on my mouse. They're unnecessary; I have a whole keyboard I can bind shit to.
The only exception is that my mouse has a DPI change button, which is sometimes useful in some games.

gestures.

the reason i own that exact mouse, is because it only has two fucking extra buttons

i have this mouse (use buttons for back, refresh, forward. now i can't switch to any other mice because most only have 2 buttons

got something for you

fuck that mouse. bought and returned it. forces you to use claw grip while i use 1-3-1 from years of g500 use

>mouse
>mandatory

average meme user detected

They basically are though? Every mouse I've owned since 2000 had those buttons

I only use them in games. I remapoed my dpi switch to volume, i use that as my primary volume control

I got used, but at first I also was WTF'ing logitech made direct upgrade to mx518(g402 is replacment), form is the same but shorter wtf
G502 is nice mouse, but really need to be same length as mx518, sometimes I need to use mx518 and it's like made for my hand.

The five button mouse life is good.

I use my side buttons to switch tabs forward and backwards. Makes navigating browsers much faster.

>Why aren't side buttons on a mouse the standard?
I dunno, 5 button mices is actually the standard supported by all OS without needing proprietary drivers.
>How come some people can survive without side buttons to go back and forward on browser history?
They have or keyboard shortcut, but side button are way more comfy and works in other programs than a browser

Rival 300 is better

>extra mouse buttons
because linux can't into mapping them

same, i love these big ass smushy buttons.

I disabled those buttons on my g603 since I clicked them accidentally way too often.

I have actual keyboard keys to do that.

t. qutebrowser user

side buttons are a meme

just because you're not creative with the shortcuts doesn't mean they're a meme

and i'm not talking about games either

I have side buttons but seldom use them unless in games. when i want to open a link i'll use mouse3 and mouse3 again to close that tab. that way i can monitor multiple threads i'm active in.

WMO user master race here,

I don't use browser back and forward. Only +forward and +new tab.

>I have 12 browser shortcuts on my mouse
How is that a meme?

My man I love that mouse. I use an fk1 now but just because I fell for the perfect sensor meme for cs. Still keep this mouse around because it's shape and aesthetics are 10/10

I didn't use them even in games, worthless

using M187 babies for the last 5 years

This is the one I use

I remapped mine to Page Up/Page Down even though the scroll wheel exists. Am I insane?

ALT + RIGHT BUTTON
ALT + LEFT BUTTON
fucking casuals I swear

alright this tide pod thing has gone too far.

I think those two buttons are obnoxious. What are you doing where you find going back and forward in browser history to be a common action? I almost never do that.

>using a mouse

>browsing the internet with a mouse
Top jej

This

Side buttons are cool and all but the two most useful features I've ever found on a mouse have been a third face/click button and the ability to hit the scroll wheel sideways.

>having cntrl/shift on my ring finger for moving files/crouching in fps games
>flicking the scroll wheel to the left to go to previous webpage.

Whenever I go back to an ordinary mouse I find myself trying to flick the scroll wheel only to find it does nothing.

The only use I've found for the side buttons has been in games like half life that let you carry all of your guns. Even in desktop applications like PS or whatever I rarely find myself binding them to anything.

Meant to attach picture.

I've been waiting for logitech to phase out that shitty looking G502 for this exact reason OP. It's was the only mouse that looked alright, had good performance, and a decent selection of side buttons.

My old 500s finally gave out though so I had to upgrade to something and I have to say, other than it's rat-like appearance, it feels really nice to use. All of the side buttons/DPI shift buttons use full microswitches and it tracks well. I just wish it wasn't so fucking ugly.

My mouse3 broke once and I bound m3 to my thumb button. Ever since that, it's become natural for me to use my thumb for autoscroll and opening/closing tabs.

Never found it useful for going back/forward in browser.

>alt + right

I actually stoped pressing MMB by pressing mouse wheel and instead set to pushing mouse wheel to left clicks MMB, a lot faster and easyer on G502 and found this by accident

Why the fuck would you use it to go backwards and forwards in browser history when you can keybind it to go backwards and forwards between tabs? You use the latter functions way more frequently. And yes, I own a Razor Deathadder.

Agreed. I got used to using the scroll wheel tilt for switching tabs in the browser and side button + scroll wheel tilt for going forward and backward in the browser history. Can't imagine life without that now.

We used to not even have a scrollwheel, you spoiled brat!

I've been using MX518s for more than a decade now, and I can't go back to a mouse without 2 side buttons.

>not needing your left arm for another machine.
git gud

How do I disable the forward/back function of the buttons (in chrome) without disabling the actual buttons?

Sorry, MMB?

>tfw using this exact mouse right now
It's a good mouse, tee bee aech.

You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like. Mouselets need not apply.

>additional mouse buttons are unnecessary
>uses dpi change button
wow you're fucking retard

They are basically a requirement for MMO's where you have 30-40 ability key-binds.

It's 2018. If you don't have a five button mouse then you don't deserve to be breathing, much less using a computer. Fucking kill yourself.

Real l33t h4x0rz can actually press 2 buttons at once with one hand.

Middle Mouse Button

I wish four side buttons were more widespread. I thought about getting one of the new wireless Logitech mice, but they all only have two side buttons now and I use all four regularly on my G700.

Other side forward/back (game attack/jump)
Other ctrl/shift
Works like charm especially with mmorpgs

i have this.

went back to the m500 after a year. just never was comfortable.

backspace and shift-backspace on firecocks

(Capslock is actually mapped to ß via AHK, which is mapped to another macro, because i cant bind Capslock in the game dirrectly)

impossible to press one button without accidentaly pressing others

>impossible to press one button without accidentaly pressing others

I have this weird thing where I hold my mouse diagonally or sideways

the sidebuttons are on the far side away from my hand.
feels bad man

going back in your browser history is admitting you made a mistake

Not
>shift + h
>shift + l
nu-Sup Forums, I swear...

yup. i WISH i could upgrade... i've tried 3-4 other mice but nothing compares. idk what i'm gonna do when it dies...

I fucking love this this mouse. I bind the scroll wheel left and right to scroll through tabs and the thumb button to be the middle click. Extremely comfy for browsing the internet and for games.

does it not feel too narrow? i tried to go from g500 to the g502 but they changed it so you need a claw grip now to use it instead of palm or 1-3-1

The only mice that don't have them are the ones that come prepackaged with the average consumer desktop.

After using Logitech's latest generation of wireless mouse, specifically the G603 I don't think I'll be going back to wired.

ive used that mouse and its feel like over kill , i only use the 3 buttons ,but i am a noob when it comes to gaiming

Shitposting is admitting you have down syndrome.

deathadder is the best mouse ever in terms of ergonomics but it breaks so fucking often and the price is obviously not adequate to build quality

fuck

So true. I have bought 3 of them. I love the mouse and it feels great but the build quality is fucking ass.

First one I bought lasted a year before double clicking issue. Which I sorta solved with super glue on the plastic. But eventually that stopped working

Second one lasted about 6 months before double clicking but made it last a while longer with the super glue.

Third one I bought Mouse Button 5 stopped working a week in and I returned it.

Jesus.

roccat makes best mice

I probably would have bought one of those if they didn't look like absolute shit. Seriously, what fucking industrial """designer""" signed off on that ugly deformed metal look

Is it really that good ? I mean the wired ones like Naga are just meh with all the cabel going on everywhere, and I'm looking to change it for something better.
I still have the 2009 iirc one laying somewhere on the shelves, but ye the newer ones just brake like everyday.
I had roccat Savu and it was really good, but the macro button broke after 2-3 years so I changed to razer naga chroma just cus it was on sale (like 60% and I like macros).

roccat saves macro in the mouse though so you can load anything up all your config and move to different computers / OS's if needed and it works fine.

Twas 2005 when that thing came out brah, it was the wave of the future back then. That design is old enough to be a freshman in high school now.

i unironically cant live without my g600 anymore

>2005

>>Sup Forums

yup that's the best thing about it, the razer just won't work without drivers so RIP lunix users, and the sensor is just meh, after like 3 months it starts to sometimes loose my mouse pad

>back and forward
Switch them to copy and paste. Your life will never be the same again.

I never use them.

I moved over to the naga hex v2 and bound 2 as forward, 3 as voice, and 7 as back.

Logitech made the technology as good as wired. I chose the G603 because it's the lightest by a slight margin with a single lithium AA and has bluetooth if you need it, but the G703 is basically the same price online esp. once you consider batteries.

source on the as good as wired:
youtube.com/watch?v=wQxw-pX4dak

>destroys all other mice for only half the price
nothing personnel, kid

>side buttons to go back and forward
the most annoying thing ever invented.
I mean, yeah, side buttons can be useful, but why set them to back and forward? It's useless.

It is a little slimmer than the 500, but i've always used a fingertip grip anyway so the transition felt fine.

>Not having at least 20 buttons
Weak.

I used to use a whole bunch of gestures back when I was a total poorfag

from the guy posting a shit tier gaming mouse, and a cheap Chinese reproduction mech keyboard.

solid 7/10

off to gulag