ThinkPad P series underrated

why nobody talks about them?
it seems their high-end models really don't have any competition.

They're really good, but really expensive. Sup Forums is mostly poorfags who can't afford them new. I have a P50 as company-issue and it's fucking great.
>i7-6700HQ
>Quadro GPU
>NVMe SSD
>Linux install with full root access
It's a dream machine. If I can keep it after I get replacement hardware issued I will.

>ThinkPad P series underrated
You seriously need to lurk more if you think that's the case here.

I'm a frail maiden, I can't handle anything bigger than 14".

Hardware spec wise, the P series is great. However, it is very heavy to carry around with you in a laptop bag. It is mostly a laptop that is good staying in the docking station on a desk most of the time. Certainly not a travel friendly laptop due to its weight.

>very heavy
DYEL

Too pricey. Too "heavy" for most people to use daily if they walk more than a few minutes. Sometimes bad battery life.

I'd say it's mostly down to them being workstations is the problem. Most people want gaming? Get a gaming laptop. A workstation laptop with a GPU in it that can play high end games is pretty expensive, like 800+ more ontop of a standard gaming laptop. So you're paying at least 2200 for a good thinkpad P series usually.

On the other hand, the benefit of the T series and much moreso wth the X series, portability is not seen really in the P series due to the fact of "muh weight"

8000 series quad core is really nice I wouldnt recommend a dual core anymore unless you need a special case device like a surface pro or tiny machine.

yeah yeah let's see how you feel after carrying around the brick in your bag all day. weight is the number one priority in a laptop

You're joking, right?
I carry an acer that's about .3kg lighter than the thinkpad51. Along with a samsung tablet notebook (10.6) for drawing every day

And it's not heavy at all. Then again I only walk about 45 minutes to work, but still

Have you ever lugged it around and used it just on batteries? How long were you able to be productive on it in this scenario?.... Yeah that's what I thought. There are better laptops for travel purpose. P series is a workstation. Do you know what a workstation is??

P40

I bought a P51s back in August and it works well enough. Though I do have moment where I wonder if I should have just nutted up for a regular P51 instead.

I walk miles over hills with a P50 in my bag. You're just a pussy.

I think the main issue is that they hit an awkward niche that's in between desktop and laptop. For some it's the perfect fit, and that's great, but for most people it's either not portable enough or it doesn't adequately replace the value of a solid desktop with full perpipheal set ups.

Not him but the P51 is light compared to most laptops from just a decade ago.

Millennials are just extremely pussies.
Also they carry satchels instead of proper bags.

>It is mostly a laptop that is good staying in the docking station on a desk most of the time.

So perfect for programmers(*).

(*with actual paying jobs, not some "frontend dev" doing hobby projects at Starbucks)

What the fuck? It's like 6lb.

It weighs the same as my W530. You're just a faggot.

Got one. It's great. Only problem is battery life. Can't coax more than 4-6 hrs out of it. My X270 with extended battery gets 16-18hr, so the P50 stays docked at home.

Wish the P series could have a second battery like the X or T. Or at least a slice/dock battery like the W520.

All I want is a legit 8hr of battery.

Isn't that one a yoga?

Because they're workstation laptops when most people don't need workstations. It's heavy, powerful, and expensive. Also >numpad.

I asked my employer for a Windows laptop (It would be a ThinkPad) and got a MacBook instead. Not even the newest model. I had never used a mac before this.

Imagine my frustration.

t. jobless
How often do you walk around with a laptop all fucking day?
Do you work on a construction site? Are you a structural engineer? I seriously doubt that you actually do this, and make money doing this.

In all my years of college and employment, I never carried around my laptop for more than 15 continuous minutes.

>what are optimus and power saving features
The weight is a problem, battery life isn't

"Most people" need a facebook machine

user, with Optimus, TLP, and Powertop, I can't coax more than 4-6hr of web browsing out of my P50. Similar results under Wangblows 10. Similar results under Arch with Bumblebee.

The battery life really is an issue for this series. I wish I could love it, but I work in places that have no power plugs.

(I'm )

Try installing TLP on linux, not sure about optimus systems, side question. Wouldn't it technically be better to leave the DGPU on at all times? It's like having a V12 engine running at idle vs a V6 running at full chug at minimal task.

>no real arguments against the machine
>It's too heavy OMG my vagina hurts
You don't need to be an Olympian to carry 6 pounds.

>Millennials are just extremely pussies.
Seriously what the fuck happened.

>be me 18 years ago
>13 years old, obese, lazy, usually sedentary
>prepare to go on 5 mile hike through the woods and set up tent in the woods
>weigh back pack at 50 pounds
>Haul it through woods, brush, and hills
>end of the walk legs are a little tired, feet are sore, but everything else is fine

Now you've got grown men saying they can't carry six pounds from the parking lot to the elevator. The water is making the frogs gay.

4-6hr are my results with TLP on linux. Tried on both Ubuntu and Arch.

As for DGPU, my experience is always higher power consumption with DGPU enabled in bios.

Ubuntu has a relatively decent GPU switcher built in for Optimus laptops. Bumblebee on arch works similarly.

Overall though, the state of Optimus GPU switching on linux is kinda garbage. Either way, battery runtime on Wangblows is about the same.

If Lenovo would just give the P series a dual battery setup like recent T/X, it would be very useable.

(samefag) Also, AFAIK, the DGPU/Optimus has to remain enabled if you expect to use a dock, which I do.

Idk it may just be me being a brainlet but 4-6h sounds good enough to me desu. It may just be the HQ CPU behind this tomfoolery.

>It's like having a V12 engine running at idle vs a V6 running at full chug at minimal task.

No it's like having a dredge on standby with 2 700HP turbo charged 8 cylinder diesel engines at 1% throttle just to keep the ship at steady state versus having one guy with a weed eater drawing dicks in your flower bed. Analogies suck but that's a better one. Bottom line is measure that shit if it matters to you.

Your post made little to no sense, but I got that you think dGPUs on standby are a bit overkill. I was just thinking that with recent tech (MX line of gpus) this problem could be solved by removing the iGPU altogether and just forcing a more efficient graphics solution without wasted die space.

>it seems their high-end models really don't have any competition.
But it does, and the new thinkpads aren't too different from clevo, sager, or msi laptops.

last time I daily drove a thinkpad mobile workstation it was an awful overheating piece of shit that fell apart before my eyes
they are great if you don't actually use them as a laptop but they are uncomfortable and unwieldy otherwise
it's not simply a matter of weight, it's the form factor and distribution of that weight as well, 16:9 thinkpads are a fucking joke that are awful to carry without a bulk-ass bag that makes you look like a fucking fruit
to this day my 600E smokes any modern T/W/P series in the portability department all day long despite weighing five fucking pounds, it's simply a more comfortable device that was actually built to be carried somewhere other than the next docking station or occasional meeting/presentation

Get a car you poorfag

your analogy is incomprehensible and sucks even more shit than the one you quoted but it was still funny to read

lel hit the weights faggot if you think 5lb is heavy

I saw linux notebooks with simmilar specs, better with having better disks.

For $8000 euro you don't need competition...

Also having server and not doing live audio visual 4k performance on notebook is ... You can carry a box on stage.

Actually this is notebook for people like nuclear physician who needs model of catastrophic situation real fast.

Somebody is doing usually doing jet airodynamics simmulations in the star bucks...

Nah, T and X series are much more popular amongst Sup Forums

>31 years old
You're still one of these millennials

I use a laptop on my lap, and the problem with the P series is not just the weight, but the off-centered keyboard.

>Buying a Laptop >14"
>Buying a Laptop witha dedicated GPU
why would you do this

go to >>/fit/ and strength yourself dude.

My girlfriend used to lug around t510 with 9cell battery (It is havier than p50) and she was fucking fine.

It is not good for your balls dude.
Well if you are a girl(male) it is alright!

Fucking Lenovo made a deal with Intel to not use AMD chips.
No way I would buy a Lenovo.

It's okay you couldn't afford one anyways

But Lenovo laptops with AMD CPUs do exist.

>it's not simply a matter of weight, it's the form factor and distribution of that weight as well, 16:9 thinkpads are a fucking joke that are awful to carry without a bulk-ass bag

The fuck are you talking about?
More rectangular shapes are EASIER to put into a bag than squares.

Most backpacks for example are plenty tall but the width is limited.

Muh amd !

I tend to forget that Sup Forums technology tends to mean more Sup Forums-computers. I'm saying that the difference between an iGPU and a Quadro is more like the difference between a weed eater motor and the engines on a dredging barge than two car engines where one is a little bit bigger. Not sure exactly what's in these but 3d mark scores in the 600 range vs 16k.

If you ever get a chance to get on board one of these and look around the engine room, then take it.