Are finger print readers a meme?

Are finger print readers a meme?

Fingerprint readers are considered harmful.

1: They're usernames, not passwords, since anyone can copy them.

2: ..yet most software uses them in place of a password.

3: Most readers suck and don't have good protections against this.

4: They don't have the same legal protections that a password does. You have plausible deniability that you forgot a password, you can be ordered to unlock fingerprint shit.

Not as good as a strong password would be but comfy as fuck

Yes if you use Linux since new thinkpads embed the prints in the sensor itself and it's all closed source- meaning they don't work on lenooks.

This. Apple created fingerprint readers so they can allow the ABCs into your computing devices without the bad optics of decrypting user devices. When you're arrested they already take your fingerprint and can use it to unlock your phone/computer.

The whole Apple encryption debate is just smoke and mirrors, there isn't actually any issues.

ur mom is a penis reader

You're better off pleading the fifth in either case though, the "i forgot" argument is less effective than invoking your constitutional rights.

No they're handy. The wake up button logs me in

Facial recog is better

>everyone lives in the USA

Sorry you don't have rights where you live, us Americans often take them for granted.

I use my fingerprint reader as a macro button of sort.

Typical ameritard. He was probably talking about the choice of words. "Pleading the fifth" only makes sense in the us even if other countries have equivalents.

very convenient and fast for getting in your laptop

>plausible deniability that you forgot a password
Hardly plausible you'll just be thrown in jail for contempt until you"remember it"

>print readers a meme?
make better touchpads that can

Yes, they are useless, and a lot less secure than a password.

Total meme. A good authentication factor has two characteristics: it must be a secret, and you must be able to change it if the secret gets out. Fingerprints are not secret because you leave them behind wherever you go. And you can't change your fingerprints. So they are totally unsuitable for authentication, but reasonably useful for surveillance.

Well you're just daft then.

It's great at work because we need to use a 14+ character password to log into our computers. This lets me skip it.

>be cyber criminal
>have encrypted laptop
>get arrested
>refues to turn over password
>police just bolt my hands to the table and press the devices onto my fingers and it unlocks
wew lad