/pcbg/ - PC Building General - 2400G leaks edition

News: Ryzen APUs will release on Feb. 12. 2200G and 2400G are similar to 1200 and 1400 but have Vega graphics.
2400G performance has leaked out with some consumer models getting sold early.
>1080p
Overwatch, Rocket League, CS:GO, GTA V, Destiny 2, and Diablo 3 get 50+ fps at default/low settings
>720p
PUBG at low settings

=====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PrRvBWZ1AFA
youtube.com/user/blindrungaming
tomshardware.de/amd-athlon-200ge-vega-zen,news-259057.html
amazon.com/dp/B00VPT88EA/
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RLHvOkCWGMgJ:https://www.amazon.com/AMD-YD2400C5FBBOX-Processor-Radeon-Graphics/dp/B079D8FD28 &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Check Son of a Tech's stream/channel for details
youtu.be/PrRvBWZ1AFA
youtube.com/user/blindrungaming

He was able to get [email protected] on the Wraith Stealth, and as suspected memory speed seems to have a substantial performance impact. Drivers are not officially out so there are issues with benchmarking, GPU monitoring/OC, game crashes, and tweaking game settings.

What are some nice cables to get without blowing my wallet on CableMod?

The girl in the how to build a PC vid is a qtp2t

Still watching this stream, he got Dark Souls 3 to run well at 900p low, and Doom (in Vulkan) to run well at 1080p low
Both at around 40 fps

what's the ideal amount of RAM for a 12TB home server?
is 4gb enough?

so it's less shitty than intel but still totally shit? What's the point of this shit?

40 fps in Doom looks pretty good because the frame timing was great
This is a good way to get into gaming, do emulators, play older games, or have a living room PC that does what a console does around as well but can also run an OS.

actual good cpus do emulation much better and actual good gpus do gaming much better and a raspberry pi can do living room shit

When will graphics card prices drop?
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If you want to play esports tier titles at 60 fps on low to medium-high the 2400G is the most cost effective option. Dedicated parts cost much more and the pi can't touch on its versatility.

Do any of you guys sell off your old hardware, catalog it and let it ferment, or have it remain in secondary computers? I had bad luck trying to dispose of two motherboards on eBay years ago, and I have an old Radeon 4870 in a box and I can't decide what to do with it.

i mostly sell parts or move them to my new build if theyre useful. i sell them on hardwareswap on reddit. got $175 for my old AMD rig's mobo/cpu/ram and $75 for 8gb ddr4 ram most recently.

I upgrade my secondary. If you wait long enough you can get some moneys. Socket 7 boards cost as much as a modern mobo down for instance.

Unfortunately I got out of the habit of secondary computers with my current build, aside from a few token recycled parts. Money isn't a huge issue, I'm just stuck between the rock of "it's barely worth even selling" and the hard place of "I'm not going to throw this old workhorse in the garbage," thus it sitting in a box

Maybe I should put a ten dollar tag on it at the next garage sale.

i sell on reddit instead of ebay or craigslist or wherever because of how simple it is. make a thread, put up prices and wait for PMs.
write up paypal invoice, get paid, items go in box along with paper or those little air bag things then off to the post office after work.
only time it becomes annoying is if there is a long line at the post office, otherwise all this stuff is pretty simple and fast to do

actual good cpus and gpus dont cost $170 combined

id rather have one that's good at something than two that are shit

thats fine people have their preferences and im sure plenty of people will be happy paying $500 for a super budget PC they can upgrade later on without trouble

PUBG at 900p low/very low works, DiRT works very well at default/low

Are we ever going to see those GPU prices go back to normal !?

n o m y c h i l d

So you are telling me $600 dollars is too much for computer that handles cognitive abilities?

Lower prices of GPU, Lower price of human work, remember my words.

You really believe that Nvidia and those that manufacture those GPU's actually increased the workers pay?

And 600$ would've been doable, but at the moment a 600$ GPU is at 1.2k a 200$ GPU is are 400$ and so on, no matter how rich you are it's not worth it.

It's for poorfags like me who can't afford a GPU at current prices and even if we could, wouldn't pay their doubled worth.
[spoiler]Also my toaster pc is dying, so good riddance.[/spoiler]

you're going to need a freesync monitor for any of that shit to actually be playable. Better off buying a console

So my DNS got hijacked earlier after power cycling my ISP router combo unit. I flushed the DNS and it fixed it, should I be worried.

Oh, my friend, you underestimate my barely-playable scale.
Beside a tv wouldn't cost less than a monitor.

Hey I want to upgrade my old setup. I have a budget of around 1000€ and want to use it for gaming/software development primarily. My old setup is:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600
Motherboard: ASUSTeK P8H61 R2.0
RAM: 16Gb
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7950
PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM 630W

Peripherals are already there and I want to reuse my PSU (which should be fine) and start with 8Gb RAM since the prices are horrendous and I don't think I need more for the time being. Thanks

why buy a tv? Buy a cheapass 1080p monitor for a console. Way better experience.

Same thing, I'd still add a GPU later down the line with that APU

so you just defeated the whole purpose of buying an apu

it's not meant to last forever, if I can get an igpu for the same cpu I was going to buy anyway, there's really no reason not to, considering current gpu prices that is.
Otherwise I'd agree with you.

What are some tame expectations for the new Ryzen graphics to handle WoW? What about something like Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, or GTA V?

>find a corrupt bulk trader that sells gpus to miners instead of retailers
>intercept the shipment and liberate those cards
>keep one for yourself and gift the rest away to the poor and needy
This is what Robin Hood is all about.

All of those will run fine.
GTA could possibly have issues if on mutliplayer while loading zones quickly like with driving fast across the map.

Wow isn't nearly as demanding as people think.
I ran it on a AM2 socket for a couple years.
Save up for a dedicated GPU in the mean time and you will be able to upgrade it down the line for VR or 4K.

That could work

>finally put all my build together
>decide to use my old hdd for a while because cbf installing a new os right now
>computer doesn't boot properly, keeps bluscreening
fuck, do I need to format the harddrive

>Wow isn't nearly as demanding as people think.
It isn't nearly as optimized as it should be is the dilemma. I knew it would run but I was wanting more ballpark settings.
After 7.3.5 this laptop from 2012 stopped getting 30+ fps with everything on low but textures. Even turning render scale to 50% barely helped.
>Save up for a dedicated GPU
That's the plan. I didn't want to go AMD desu but the timing of Intel's security problems and the bitcoin mining makes Ryzen too juicy to pass up. I had no problems with my old Phenom II so how bad can it be?
>buyers remorse imminent

Running PUBG on high/ultra on 1080p, would nvidia 1060 be enough? If this crypto price gauge ends, still using a Radeon 7870 and have to rub on ultra low

>It isn't nearly as optimized as it should be
I can agree with that.
If you use Linux WINE just got vulkan backend so expect optimizations.
I can't really give you any ballparks though because I stopped playing.
I'd only expect lag in areas with spammed graphic shaders like in a boss fight with giant mobs and everyone is using their aoes.

>this laptop from 2012 stopped getting 30+ fps
Luckily AMD's APUs have embedded GPUs which are actual dedicated GPUs with shrunken die.
Leagues better than a intel iGPU.
The distant from a APU's GPU and a dedicated GPU is about the same performance difference as a APU from a iGPU for a example.

>I didn't want to go AMD desu but the timing makes Ryzen too juicy to pass up.
I agree.
Hardware being perm reduced requiring microcode and also intel ME exploit still isn't patched.
I'm going to get a x3 APUs 1.HTPC rig for streaming/blurays/localmedia 2. workrig for brother who does accounting 3. a dedicated steam rig for myself.

Only the 3rd rig will get a dedicated GPU but that's down the road because I don't play any demanding games to even stress it.
(I play strategy games like Europa or indie Linux games)
If you play 1440@120HZ FPS games then you will need a dedicated GPU.

>I had no problems with my old Phenom II so how bad can it be?
It'll be 1/8th the power consumed with newer media codecs and hash algos

>buyers remorse imminent
Don't remorse. Not everyone can get daddy's money for a Sup Forums rig.
The $ is worth it as a core to build upon for working class and college kids.
Plus on Linux Mesa+RADVK(vulkan)+Freesync+Wayland is a badass option which isn't Nvidia capable atm.

I love my Ryzen 5 2400G!

tfw rikki tikki tavi would free the gpus for us :[

What do we know about upcoming intel processors?

I have an old i5-5500 that I want to replace because it's starting to bottleneck me, but I'm not sure if I should go for an i7-8700 or wait.

>le buy AMD

Fuck off, I ran AMD in the past. Never again.

buy AMD

Higher price, higher temps, same IPC, possibly more cores.

well 8th gen intel was just released so it will probably be a bit before a new generation comes out

i7-8700
Unless you're ok with waiting at least a year or so.

Grabbing that then

Shame I have to get a 270 mobo, but eh

Has anyone heard about that rumoured mega APU from AMD they made for scientists? From what I understand it is supposed to be EPYC+RX580 on one chip.

hm most ryzens already get at least to 3.8 with 1.35 i thought the refresh could maybe go a little bit higher

The APUs are still made on the 14nm process despite the naming scheme.

psu is not fine if you get a modern gpu!

Nice blog post, we don't care about which side you preferred to get fucked by.

>EPYC+RX580 on one chip.
I don't think that die size physically allows that much transistors in one apu.
Wouldn't it be even wider than this?

>1070ti + i5 8400 build is 1.4 k dollaros right now
oofff lads,also any indication that ram price would go down soon,a 2400 mhz 16 gb ram is like 200 dollars

Likely not until near the end of the year if then.

Considering the fact that die on the left has 2 blank chips inside and still delivers good performance there is a potential to put inside of it not just GPU but also HBM.

cool,i don't mind the wait for a few dollars less

Fellow Sup Forumstards, I've been using muh gaymer laptop that I convinced my boss to buy me a few years ago but I'm in school and it's too big / heavy to carry around. Looking to sell it and my Acer Switch tablet and use my tax return to buy a new laptop for school and build a desktop gayming rig.

Total budget is around $3000 USD but if I can save some of that, would be awesome.

>desktop
Mostly will be using for general browsing, some streaming, running virtual machines (muh hackermans), gaming, school stuff when at home (engineering software). Was thinking a gtx 1070, 8gb RAM, i5 8600k?

>laptop
Would mostly be using this for school and since my gaming laptop has scarred me, I would like something small and portable with some power. (Inb4 pick one). I've been looking at the surface book 2 with i5 and 8gb RAM or should I be looking at the i7 and the dGPU? It's much more expensive but I need to be able to run engineering software and virtual machines. I like that I can use it in tablet mode to take notes and draw blueprints / models as an engineer. I'm not going to be gaming on this laptop, open to other suggestions.

I'm thinking the desktop might be $1200-1400 and the laptop would hopefully be less than $1200

Guys, I know it is the middle of the night down there, but wanted to share some info on upcoming ultra budget/office CPUs from AMD. Seems like we gonna see Athlons with Vega GPUs inside.
tomshardware.de/amd-athlon-200ge-vega-zen,news-259057.html

As long as XMR and ETH mining is profitable gpu prices will go up.
As long as the same ram chips are used in everything the prices will go up or stagnate.

GE is Geode, brand for an embedded lineup.

this rumor sounds unlikely to be true. amd has been developing their APUs based on vega graphics, not polaris. as far as i know, there are no plans for polaris APUs. im pretty sure there is a technical reason behind this as well, but i dont remember so take it with a grain of salt

Im def waiting for this.
Thanks man!
Might have to "re-tool" the office.

I think it is even better for office if it is embedded solution.

There is a possibility that in original rumor future Vega chips were misinterpreted as Polaris. As for the TR4 platform potential let's see what 7mm will bring us.

amazon.com/dp/B00VPT88EA/

2400G

>Only 10 left in stock
Hurry!

I'm currently using a 22" 16:10 monitor thats getting a bit old. I'm not really sure what to replace it with. Got a RX 570 at the moment.

Size is perhaps my biggest concern, i sit roughly... 70-80cm away. Should i go for 24" to be safe, 25" as a compromise, or go all in with 27"?

>Not a trap in the pcbg gen

Senpai

ive got a 27 wqhd screen, runs with my gtx 960 2gb ram fine so you should have no problems

>qhqg i7 from aliexpress for 200$cad
>asus z170-a new from ebay for 100$cad
>16gb ddr4 from kijiji for 180$cad
>enermax liqmax ii 120 from amazon for 50$cad new

OC stable at 3.8ghz, had same fps as stock i7-6700 on pubg etc with 1070 ti. gitgud amdfags xdd!!1!

Finished my nigger rig
I used the backplate of a case, psu ziptied to it, ssd taped with double sided tape. I ordered one of those arcade buttons on aliexpress for 1$ to use as power button, waiting for it in the mail.

Thanks, ordering now.

I'm looking to buy a controller but I'm not sure if it's worth paying for a ps or xbox one or go for one of the cheaper ones ,and if I choose to go cheap how cheap?

>not shorting the power button connector pins with you screwdriver

I just ordered the Ryzen 2400G Amazon. You can get it in your cart and order it if you use this cached page otherwise it's not officially listed yet. Get it before the minercucks buy all the APUs

webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RLHvOkCWGMgJ:https://www.amazon.com/AMD-YD2400C5FBBOX-Processor-Radeon-Graphics/dp/B079D8FD28 &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

>not powering on the computer by inserting a quarter and pressing the start button

Just wondering, what do bitcoin miners have to do with the price of graphics cards? Shouldn't it be CPU's whose price would increase to "mine faster"? I'm an absolute fool in these issues, please be patient.

Late, Bitcoin miners use ASIC, altcoin shitters use GPUs

>200$ for outdated chink underclocked cpu on a dead platform
wow well done

>dead platform
ok sure better to spend 450$ cad just for the cpu

>he doesn't have a pet computer operator gril to walk into the central processing subsystem room and rearrange the circuit breakers and water the plants

the woman is higher maintenance than the pc though

even locked 8400 for $220 cad would absolutely demolish that chink i7 and you wouldn't need to buy a cooler.

So if I have a 8gb stick of ram, and then I decide to upgrade to 16 later, do I need to buy another pair set or just another 8gb of the same I had?

Sorry, I'm terribly new at this.

The blank chips aren't really blank. They're used to help the other chips for something.(can't remember)
Just another 8gb stick like the 1st

>Just another 8gb stick like the 1st
Thanks!

bump, please give me a good setup

Why not? 630W should be enough for my a graphics card in my budget

You are fucked.

pls respond

A wired 360 is fucking cheap.

at this point we might aswell start investing in GPU's. don't tell /biz/, but we're going to the moon.

Damn everyone says that they are cheap and reliable ,I think I'm getting one

I just use a wireless dongle with a standard 360 controller. I got the dongle for free cuz some local guy couldn't figure out how to install the drivers and get it working. lol