Why is this not a real thing?

Why is this not a real thing?
Seems more practical for Japanese than using a Latin keyboard and typing in romaji

youtube.com/watch?v=5LI1PysAlkU

Yeah, it's not like they use latin on daily basis or anything.

They actually don't

They don't. The world doesn't revolve around the West.

Many Japanese keyboards actually have all of those mapped to individual keys with a QWERTY layout that they can toggle between at the press of a button.
Many Japanese still use romaji style input, though, because they find it faster to type.

But if you really want to go hardcore then you do it with even less keys than that shitty flick keyboard.

>relying on flimsy switches instead of straightforward keys

>Many Japanese still use romaji style input, though, because they find it faster to type.
because to use the kana keyboard you need to press alt or modifier key for half of the kana so it's impractical

Oh it fucking does takeshi.

I assume they go to the websites by typing them in hiragana then wwwwwwww
I would like to see any article/conversation revolving about technology without using latin.

I know you can have URL in Cyrillic, probably can have them in Japanese as well, kana at least

>can have them
Yeah, you can have them for like 5 years now. Doesn't mean anybody actually uses them.

Shame how Latin-centric and rigid technology is
For example look at how small all the keyboards are, they're always the same size
just perfect for English but lacking for other languages with more letters, yet every keyboard is of the same layout

>not the fucking stone age
>taking a logographic language seriously
Shit is just impractical, at least the Koreans had the forethought to give that shit up and create an alphabet.

Hangul is the ugliest alphabet out there

>lacking for other languages with more letters
Lacking as in, you have to use other keys to type out special symbols? Wow, that's a real problem then. It's not like I use one of those or anything.

You are pretty much complaining that we have standards that prevent every shithole from inventing their own physical keyboard layout.

it does

>you have to use other keys to type out special symbols?
Not diacritics
Actually separate letters
Cyrillic, Armenian, all the Indian abugidas, Arabic, all have more letters than Latin
It'd be much more practical for everyone to have a larger keyboard than smaller

>create an alphabet.
>still pack letters into syllables
lol

Shame, lol. Maybe try to get your orthography updated for the Information Age, takeshi.

Vietnamese tho

it might be ugly bit it gets the job done in a simple way. it is an actual alphabet.

Right Vietnamese is hideous as well
But it's not an actual script of it's own, just Latin with diacritics
>Maybe try to get your orthography updated for the Information Age, takeshi.
>takeshi

I never said it was a remotely perfect alphabet, but 30 letters is still far better than thousands of slightly different symbols.

>Maybe try to get your orthography updated for the Information Age
alphabets make writing bloated for the Information Age
English would even perfectly take Chinese script because words almost don't change in English (I mean such things like cases)

Fucking this. I've studied Japanese and I find their writing system interesting, but it's a fucking mess.

ofc it's a mess. kanji is obsolete, since even when you write kanji, you put hiragana over it so you can know how to read it. katakana is just hideous.

so they should either
1. abolish kanji and katakana and leave just hiragana
2. revise hiragana so that it is an actual alphabet and not a syllabary
3. adopt romaji

There's literally nothing wrong with syllabaries.

they're a step more inefficient compared to alphabets.

meant for

So much for efficiency.

Besides, they make pronunciation clear and unambiguous, avoiding things like ghoti

Alphabets are more efficient when reading because there's less symbols to remember and recall.

>Besides, they make pronunciation clear and unambiguous, avoiding things like ghoti
My first language is Finnish, which uses Latin script and does not have the ghoti problem. In fact, English is more like a special case.

>My first language is Finnish

My condolences.

Exactly the point i was making.
My first language is Croatian and it uses Latin script too. The alphabet is 30 characters and every character represents one sound. Words are read exactly as they're spelled (IIRC it's the same in Finnish).

>not wanting a syllabary
are you retarded or just pretending?
Japanese has perfect phonology for a syllabary and you want to take that away because you cba to learn a few kana?

Re-using symbols for different sounds is inefficient and leads to confusion.

A proper English alphabet would have 40 symbols.

This opinion is only held by people who can't read Japanese.
Kanji is basically the only thing that makes reading Japanese bearable at all. Without it, words are twice as long and you end up with ambiguity everywhere because of how many homonyms are in the langauge. Shit is even worse with romaji.

Oh and furigana (hiragana on top of kanji) is only used in books aimed at children.

why isn't a touch type device developed that allows for draw-input like on phone ?

so you want this fucking shit on your desk or something

>Re-using symbols for different sounds is inefficient
Of course, that's just English retardation and I'm not defending that.

furigana are only used for material that's intended for little kids

I just want my keyboard a few keys wider you mongoloid

what's the fucking point you mongoloid when they can map their shit alphabet easily onto the existing keys?

They should have taken a note from Korea and ditched Hanzi. What a fucking mess of a writing system.

I'm not retarded and my opinion is not retarded. Alphabets are more efficient than syllabaries. Japanese has a perfect phonology for an alphabet.

There were several kanji abolitionism and romanization that were movements initiated by some very influential Japanese people since the Meiji period up until now.

>they can map their shit alphabet easily onto the existing keys?
false

I messed up.

Wanted to say this:
"There were several kanji abolitionism and romanization movements that were initiated" etc.

Yet the ambiguities somehow are not problematic in speech.

Sure, there were several movements to romanise, guess how many of them worked. Appeal to authority isn't an argument, and even if it was yours wasn't a very good one.

>Japanese has a perfect phonology for an alphabet.
but that's wrong you idiot. If you were talking about most other languages, you'd be correct but in Japanese it's different.

christians should eat a bullet, romanization of vietnamian was a retarded move

And guess what, none of these movements were very large or had traction
It's just westerners who keep mentioning them as if they were a big thing

Doesn't have to be romanization specifically. But even rejection of kanji has been rejected.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Koreans did the right thing whether or not the Japanese don't think it's right.

Written and Spoken communication are entirely different. If you're talking to someone, there are more clues to resolve ambiguity. Things like tone and hand gestures and if all else fails you can stop them and ask them for clarification. Good luck asking a book to clarify things for you

Korean is a different language

Kanji can have 3-4 different on-readings if you're unlucky
Hanja usually have only one or maybe two

Vietnamese should use chunom again

Or they could design a writing system that isn't fucking shit like the Koreans did. Anyone that still uses Chinese script should be embarrassed.

Chinese script is pretty good though, hangul was invented out of nationalism, not practicality.

Of course Korean is a different language.
The fact that they rejected a simpler rendition of Chinese characters (i.e. 2 readings as opposed to 3 or 4) should speak volumes.

We do dumbass.
ローマ字だ。

how is it that "traditionally analyzing" by moras points to language being better suited to a syllabary?

I'm saying was way easier to abandon than it is for the Japanese language

>actually pretty good
Oh yeah I can definitely see the benefits of have thousands of unique symbols with overlapping pronunciation.

No they shouldn't, it's pretty bad and designed around chinese, not Vietnamese, thing Norwegian Bokmaal
They should develop something of their own

How was it easier? Koreans had an easier situation with regards to hanja since a single character implied less readings.

In what way is it better than an alphabet other than density of information?

You're looking at it the wrong way.
If you stop writing Chinese with Hanja, words and homophones aren't going to disappear.
But with the characters, each morpheme, regardless of pronunciation can easily distinguished.

Because it reflects reality
Think of it like this:
A syllabary is naturally better than an alphabet because it has more information density. If you don't agree you're delusional.
But having a syllabary for most languages is bad or impossible because of the huge number of syllables possible, it's just not worth the effort.
On the other hand Japanese
>has limited predictable set of them
>has simple phonotactics
and therefore it's moreefficient to use a syllabary than an alphabet.

it's really rare that you'd unintentionally totally alter the meaning of a sentence even if you disregard tone, Chinese is context sensitive so even if you say ma as horse people will understand you meant ma as mother.

Can be adapted to any language and is mutually ineligible, that's why Han Chinese philosophies spread to the whole of east asia and further despite different spoken languages, even if it was written in Chinese it only needed very minor alteration to be intelligible in the rest of the region.
Concretely whereas in the west we always required a lingua franca, latin, french or now english, in Asia you could write your language, Korean; Chinese and its 3453245 non mutually intelligible dialects, Japanese, etc... with Chinese characters.

>Oh yeah I can definitely see the benefits of have thousands of unique symbols with overlapping pronunciation.
But you already use English

Chinese is not one language.
Chinese script fits them perfectly because they don't need to pay attention to different pronunciations of the same word in different parts of China.

So only because of information density?

I'd say having 15 letters (k-s-t-n-h-m-y-r-w-ん + a-i-u-e-o) is more efficient than having 47.

you're forgetting the g z d b p. but still, that's 20 against 47.

what else? That's a pretty good reason. One of the best.

also because it can be used to write any language without altering the spoken form

It's a trade off but you have a choice of making the script shorter or making every single word shorter. To me it's pretty clear the latter is better.

It's better to use diacritics for gzdbp because of rendaku

Just because Japanese is too hard for you to learn doesn't mean its a bad system. It just means your too lazy to actually learn a system different from the one you are comfortable with.

There's an android keyboard app replacement that is basically the same thing, m8. It works because people use it but the learning curve is pretty fucking steep.

>hiragana
>logographic

>you put hiragana over it so you can know how to read it
ruby text is only used by pre-schoolers

>There's an android keyboard app replacement that is basically the same thing, m8.
I know. The point of this april fools' is that they made it into a physical device.
But the problem is that touchscreen keyboards are pretty bad.

>ghoti
Literally the worst example for retards who complain about ambiguity in english spelling. We all know shit is ambiguous but at least give a much better example that this shit.

But that's wrong.
A book for preschoolers might be completely written in hiragana, a book for children will have furigana for the common jouyou kanji, but even adult novels will have furigana for uncommon words or words that don't use jouyou kanji.

t. kanji dekinai

Let's just write japanese and chinese in hangul

콘니치와, 보쿠토 겤콘시테 쿠레
다쟈 하ㅜ, 워 스 중궈젠

我的马 can literally be read the same in all languages on the planet

Dearest creature in creation
Studying English pronunciation,
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse and worse.

I will keep you, Susy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy;
Tear in eye, your dress you'll tear;
Queer, fair seer, hear my prayer.

Pray, console your loving poet,
Make my coat look new, dear, sew it!
Just compare heart, hear and heard,
Dies and diet, lord and word.

Sword and sward, retain and Britain
(Mind the latter how it's written).
Made has not the sound of bade,
Say-said, pay-paid, laid but plaid.

Now I surely will not plague you
With such words as vague and ague,
But be careful how you speak,
Say: gush, bush, steak, streak, break, bleak ,

Previous, precious, fuchsia, via
Recipe, pipe, studding-sail, choir;
Woven, oven, how and low,
Script, receipt, shoe, poem, toe.

Say, expecting fraud and trickery:
Daughter, laughter and Terpsichore,
Branch, ranch, measles, topsails, aisles,
Missiles, similes, reviles.

Wholly, holly, signal, signing,
Same, examining, but mining,
Scholar, vicar, and cigar,
Solar, mica, war and far.

From "desire": desirable-admirable from "admire",
Lumber, plumber, bier, but brier,
Topsham, brougham, renown, but known,
Knowledge, done, lone, gone, none, tone,

One, anemone, Balmoral,
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel.
Gertrude, German, wind and wind,
Beau, kind, kindred, queue, mankind,

Tortoise, turquoise, chamois-leather,
Reading, Reading, heathen, heather.
This phonetic labyrinth
Gives moss, gross, brook, brooch, ninth, plinth.

Have you ever yet endeavoured
To pronounce revered and severed,
Demon, lemon, ghoul, foul, soul,
Peter, petrol and patrol?

Billet does not end like ballet;
Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet.
Blood and flood are not like food,
Nor is mould like should and would.

Banquet is not nearly parquet,
Which exactly rhymes with khaki.
Discount, viscount, load and broad,
Toward, to forward, to reward,

We seriously don't need your fucking backward-ass writing system.

Why do Japanese ads always feel so crisp and elegant?

I like kanji.

>japanese in hangul
what is kana?
>chinese in hangul
see pic related
though I hate how tones are displayed in bopomofo, that's one bad thing about it

good taste
also not a brainlet, one of a few ITT

Better
The thing with ghoti is that it tries to force ambiguity in diagraphs that have (mostly) clear rules for their usage by violating the rules that make them diagraphs in the first place.

hangul is featural
kana is syllabic

why not just everyone learn English
aren't all programming languages in English anyway?

>that have (mostly) clear rules
False.

Have you ever seen jap source code?