/bsd/ - *BSD General

/bsd/ - *BSD General

Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD....etc

Potential Linux switchers welcome.

Why is BSD superior to Linux:
over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/03
freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/explaining-bsd/comparing-bsd-and-linux.html
ocf.berkeley.edu/~reinholz/freebsd/3reasons.html
forums.freebsd.org/threads/41750/

The Beginner’s Guide:
‣ BSD Mag: mega.nz/#!LBpnhY6J!fUq0JeXSjdC3Os6vG_wOtEMcThOwqn-1X_qjCWnk68I
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-basic-freebsd-maintenance

ABSOLUTE FREEBSD:
theswissbay.ch/pdf/Gentoomen Library/Operating Systems/BSD/No Starch Press - Absolute FreeBSD The Complete Guide to FreeBSD 2nd Edition.pdf (750 pages but very easy to understand for advanced and new users)

Other urls found in this thread:

netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/
netbsd.org/docs/guide/download/netbsd-en.pdf
bsdmag.org/netbsd_intr/
netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi/man? ANY NetBSD-current
netbsd.org/docs/misc/index.html
dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/
leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man
wiki.ghostbsd.org/index.php/Main_Page
bsdmag.org/download/bsd-22014-pdf/
trueos.org/
trueos.org/handbook/introducing.html
linuxandubuntu.com/home/linuxandubuntu-review-of-trueos-a-unix-based-os
undeadly.org/cgi?action=front
dragonflydigest.com/
blather.michaelwlucas.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgyNDI
man.openbsd.org/config#KERNEL_MODIFICATION
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The NetBSD Guide:
netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/
netbsd.org/docs/guide/download/netbsd-en.pdf
NetBSD Introduction: ‣bsdmag.org/netbsd_intr/
netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi/man? ANY NetBSD-current
netbsd.org/docs/misc/index.html

DragonFly BSD:
dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/
leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man

GhostBSD:
wiki.ghostbsd.org/index.php/Main_Page
bsdmag.org/download/bsd-22014-pdf/

>GhostBSD is basically FreeBSD with GTK DE (Desktop Environment), like MATE, XFCE, Cinnamon, and Gnome, all pre-configured and ready to use. Also, we are developing a GUI (Graphical User Interface) tool, like Networkmgr, Update Station, Software Station, GBI (Graphi- cal BSD Installer) and many more tools that are not found on FreeBSD

TrueOS:
trueos.org/
trueos.org/handbook/introducing.html

linuxandubuntu.com/home/linuxandubuntu-review-of-trueos-a-unix-based-os
Blog:
undeadly.org/cgi?action=front
dragonflydigest.com/
blather.michaelwlucas.com/

Why do you think Linus don't trust his own kernel?
youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s

Best BSD for an Xserve G5? Runs on power64. I would assume FreeBSD but perhaps I’m missing something.

why so many attacks on *BSD?
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

The community is extremely fragmented. Each BSD is literally developing their own kernels with a fraction of manpower used for Linux.

Do any of the BSDs have support for thunderbolt 3? That's really the only thing keeping me from trying it.

>Each BSD is literally developing their own kernels
? I always thought the bsd kernel was minimal (like without drivers patched in) unlike linux

>like without drivers patched in
On OpenBSD all drivers are patched in :^)

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgyNDI

actually no

>actually no
No what? OpenBSD doesn't have kernel modules anymore.

but why do you think they patched the drivers in the kernel?

>why do you think they patched the drivers in the kernel
Because they got rid of external modules obviously.

That was to prevent bugs. It has nothing to do with how the linux kernel operates (incorporating the modules in every release)

>linux kernel
Who the fuck is talking about Linux?

to contrast the different kernel approach

Yeah on openbsd you need to recompile your kernel and reboot to load a driver while on linux you can do it on the fly.

that's not how it works

This was a pretty good reason to ditch obsd eternally, but feel free to redline me how can i use drivers without compiling the whole kernel and even after that it's a hit or miss. Meanwhile some idiot dare to say it's "just werks".

every driver you could possibly need is enabled by default

the obsd devs discourage rolling your own and encourage using the config utility which allows you to edit the kernel binary.

The only time I would ever use BSD is if I ws making my own custom OS for something like a game console.

>every driver you could possibly need is enabled by default
Except what i want. :^)

please list them

How do I do this

BCM 4312

man.openbsd.org/config#KERNEL_MODIFICATION
you can also do this at boot time

they don't have a driver for that in the first place from what i'm seeing here

>every driver you could possibly need is enabled by default

Not to defend OpenBSD, but every driver that is supported

How did it become so fragmented?

What's the adv of BSD over Linux?

TLDR on "Why is BSD superior to Linux"?

To summarize the posts I’ve read in the OP:
>focus on compiling from source rather than installing binaries
>definitive line drawn on what is a “base” operating system as opposed to contiguous components of a system on GNU/Linux
>central authority of distribution and design on BSD; communal approach taken with GNU/Linux development
>as such, packages for a BSD base install are specific to that distribution to optimize performance, security, and stability
>...which also leads to less overall packages available.
Not a huge deal since BSD is primarily for servers.

I'll put in a good word for FreeBSD just to offer an alternative to the OpenBSD hipsters.

FreeBSD is a good intermediate distro. It's very stable and supports a wide range of hardware. I'd liken it to Debian.

Why not just use Debian? FreeBSD has both a ports tree and a binary package manager, allowing many more customization options: It works perfectly as either a source based or fully binary distro and everything in between. The filesystem structure is similar to linux but is in some ways more logical. The community is friendly and helpful. It has native ZFS support. It also doesn't use systemd which is a big deal to some people.

Is (Free)BSD a worthy alternative as an OS on a Thinkpad X220?

Seems like TrueOS, FreeBSD and NetBSD are destroying debian lately

So..
How's BSD support for ARM?
Also, while ZFS is great for storage on one server - are there any good mechanisms of joining multiple BSD servers inti storage cloud? Seen WD experimenting with GlusterFS/ZFS. Anything else?

OpenBSD

does openbsd even have a ppc64 port

It is “compatible” but just runs in 32-bit mode. Doesn’t support FireWire either. Basically, like openBSD on most hardware, it’s shit. FreeBSD supports all the hardware on the Xserve and runs in true 64-bit.

bump

FreeBSD works great with Thinkpads, although pretty much everything does.

>How did it become so fragmented?
For the same reasons there are a million and one Linux distros. Ego.

SmartOS worth the memes?

ignore this idiot

OpenBSD started because of de Raadt's ego in the NetBSD project. Matthew Dillon started DragonflyBSD because he thought his methods for threading and multiprocessing would be better than FreeBSD's. Kris Moore started PCBSD/TrueOS because he wanted to make FreeBSD easier to install and rather than work on modifying the installer went about starting an entirely new project, either because he thought he could do better than FreeBSD, or those in FreeBSD didn't want him fucking with their system.

All software projects start because someone thinks "I can do X, Y or Z, better than currently exist, or they are doing it".

Does DfBSD threading and multiprocessing work better than FreeBSD? He took concepts from Amiga (microkernel or some ish) because he worked as a programmer on that platform back in the day

No idea. Don't have the technical knowledge to understand it and won't pretend to either.