Thoughts on Dell IPS monitors?

Thoughts on Dell IPS monitors?
Is there anything better for the money?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l2AGMFXAx90
arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=24571329
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is there anything better for the money?

only if you are into the whole gaymen 1mhz super duper 144hz monitors to play your stupid fornite games with

For the rest of us, nothing else comes close to dell ips monitors

why can't they make the 100hz or 120hz.

65hz is so painful ..

unironically no. Dell lcds are cream of the crop

2515 here. I know there's an user somewhere who's got two of them. Decent screen, looks nice, 5usb to taste and the adjustment base is one of the better ones. Only downsides I can bring up with out being picky is ips blacks are shit and I wish it didn't only come with a mini-dp cable.

It was a steal at £215 but they're 300+ now. But I fully recommend 1440p at 25inches for the perfect dpi.

Dell use LG panels.

Hell yeah. U2515H is amazing. Got one for pretty cheap while I lived in the Netherlands. Something around 200ish euros.
Yeah, my only complaint is with the blacks, but I guess that's normal for IPS. The dpi is really amazing. It was why I picked it instead of a bigger monitor. Too bad that the Windows scaling algorithm is utter shit and doesn't do the monitor justice.

How is it for playing normal 1080 content like movies/anime on a 1440p screen?

what's the best 1440p/1080p 144hz monitor? I'm going to plan my build around it once the next ryzen cpus come out and my tax return comes in.

been looking at those alot lately.
Im either going to buy the dells, asus, or lenovo thinkvisions unless someone can tell me why I shouldnt

U2412M here, best decision I've ever made.

Depends on your GPU of choice. I would get one of the 1440p/144hz things. Your choice there is VA or IPS. Get one of the Samsung VA panels if you're more a single player guy, the AUO AHVA ones if you want less motion blur.

C27HG70 for VA/freesync, XG2703-GS for AHVA G-Sync. Viewsonic might have a free sync version of that too but I'm much too lazy to check.

I think I'll be going with the next iteration of the 1060/70

i have one, it's pretty nice.

is the Dell S2716DGR any good?

Source?
I have one and its Sharp.

Look at Acer IPS displays, they are excellent and affordable.

As far as i can remember, they are tier 1, basically the best monitors in a batch are sold to Dell, Eizo, and heck LG keep a few for themselves, then theres the next tier like view sonic, acer, etc. then tier 3 thats your AOC, Acer and korean/chink monitors

4x u2515h
3x u2412m + 1x 2007wfp
i don't game so they are all good enough for me, might replace the old 2007wfp with another u2412m for consistency
dell monitors are pretty good

>Is there anything better for the money?
Not really. LG/iiyama are almost the same
I love iiyama monitors though
Dell 27 P17 1080p density is pretty bad though. Get the 4K version

>$600
>tn
>only 1440

it's 479 for me, is it still bad?
what monitor would you recommend instead?

>Dell monitors
They're fine, but you can get the same panel in an LG or Samsung for cheaper so you're really just paying for the stand, the combination of inputs, and the onscreen display electronics/firmware.

I havnt decdided myself, just keep researching monitors and they all have something that bothers me.

>price
google provided a link to the model number that didnt have the R, which was the price i talked about.
This appears to have the same stuff I mentioned so my post still stands.
>$500
thats ips money right there. And being that high, its almost real 4k ips money.
idk if high hz is really that important to you or not, in the end its your call.

It's a very well regarded TN monitor, but it's a TN monitor. If all you care about is "muh games", sure, go for it. Response times as a whole are overrated though and don't mean what the majority of people seem to think they mean. Has nothing to do with latency, it's the pixel transitions and how much blur. I can almost guarantee you that you won't be able to see a difference if you're under like 5ms.

So basically, at $500, go for one of the 1440/144hz AHVA or VA monitors.

>real 4K IPS

I mean, those are kinda dirt cheap. The limiting factor being 60hz. I've seen them for like $250ish, even.

Personally, for vidya games, I would take the higher refresh rates of AHVA. I have mine right next to a "real IPS" display and it's honestly nicer.

Samsung Quantum Dot VA is king for image quality these days anyway. Absolutely shits on IPS in terms of contrast ratio (typical IPS is like 900:1 and VA is like 5000:1) and actually has better color.

10/10 for fast paced games since it's not a shitty poo poo IPS or VA. Looks just fine sitting next to my U2717D, and it's my primary monitor so I'll never be looking at it from off angles where a TN would be detrimental anyways. Dell has them on sale all the time with sales/coupons and ebates as high as 10% sometimes.

Forgot pic
Do VA panels still look like absolute trash in dark scenes?

If your eyes are for shit there’s only one tier.

Same, got two for 100 each.

What's best for 21:9 monitors? Is LG good?

youtube.com/watch?v=l2AGMFXAx90

Comparison between VA and IPS for dark scenes. There's backlight bleed occasionally, but that's just panel lottery. Even TN monitors get hit with that sometimes.

>ips blacks are shit

I got one months ago and couldn't believe my eyes, the blacks were so washed-out. Later I found out that there's an option on my nVidia drivers that change the dynamic range from Limited to Complete (or viceversa) and blacks improve a lot that way, what a relief. Only downside is that brightness levels can't go beyond 75% or I start missing brightness details, like when you overexpose a photography.

Which one?
I just want a secobdary 1080p monitor that don't look too bad vs my ultrasharp

>"real IPS"
The "real" was attached to the "4k", not ips. Go to newegg > monitors > power search, and see how many "4k" they have listed. Gooks are selling 2k as "4k" and there is a disgusting about of acronyms in the marker that arnt even standardized.

>Samsung Quantum Dot VA
is that one of the ones that burns in like a crt? taskbar and window boarders would kill that thing for me. I average 8 days uptime and the only reason its not more is because I restart for updates.

If you want high refresh rates then go for that tn panel. Im sure it will be quality. Id still browse around and see if any good 4ks are in that price range with the speed you want.

>>ips blacks are shit
whats this shit about blacks being bad?
Ive never had an issue with my tv having bad blacks, tvs use ips panels dont they?

where the hell are the 27 inch 1440p ones?

>blacks are shit

ESL get out

>S2716DGR
This shit is always on sale for $300-400. TN is best for gaming and 1440p is currently best if you're still aiming to get 144hz

hp e272q here.
Awesome panel.

My Samsung KU6400 features a VA panel, nice n-words but slightly worse colors than an IPS panel. I can cope with subpar n-words on a PC monitor but not on my TV, modern digital photography can reach quite wide dynamic ranges.

>For the rest of us, nothing else comes close to dell ips monitors
I prefer HP dreamcolor ips monitors.

What use case?
IPS is so low contrast I wouldn't even consider it for anything but the yuppiest of jrpahics designers.

>tvs use ips panels dont they?
No, most TVs use *VA. (Except AHVA, since that's AUO's IPS-like)

Asus IPS mons

fuck, time to start my monitor search all over.
Do va panels burn in when stuff is displayed for days?

I deeply regret not buying one when it was $399 back in December.

No.

MVA is currently the best all allrounder until Panasonic finally releases their new IPS with 1,000,000:1 Static Constrast (it's literally just 2 IPS panels bonded atop each other, which works but requires far more powerful backlighting, ie. we're back to ~200w for a 32")

disgusting bezel

>ie. we're back to ~200w for a 32"
fuck that.

Im about to get 3x27" ips. I thought they were the same quality as tv panels. Am I about to regret it?

>two U2515H
>still want a good gsync 120+ hz monitor

It's all TN shit, right?

I have one of these and it is amazing. Colors look almost the same as my Dell 24" IPS next to it. Never have any problems and amazing for CS:GO.
You can def. get one refurbished on Amazon/NewEgg other deals for sub $425 or even sub 400.

They'll be as good as an LG TV, so you've got that going for you...
Did you check the monitors in a store before buying?
Did you like them?

If yes to both, don't worry at all.
If no, umm, monitors are really something you should inspect in person before outlaying a bunch of cash...

>UP3017
Love it.
>U2417
Really nice design with less bezels but it doesn't have AdobeRGB for a goddamn Ultrasharp series.

>lg tv, thats going for me
never dealt with lg screens. Ive got a $1100 sony bravia from 2009 if that can compare to anything.
>check in store
no, I live in one of those black holes where there isnt anything worth a shit in a 3 hour highway time radius.
>like them
they have the features and shit I want. thinkvisions P27u and P27h
they can do display port daisy chaining. I want to use the 4k for center and important stuff and the 1440 ones for side monitors. They aslo have shit I wanted like vesa mount, ubs hub is a plus, thin bezels and shit

would be cool if someone tells me why Im an idiot for wanting to buy these.

Those Dells do 75hz with a custom resolution. 60hz native.

Dell has gaming panels too that are pretty nice. But I don't game anymore. So don't kill me Sup Forums

Why are you even on Sup Forums if you dont game?

>Advertising your monitor with an image of a repulsive ad-ridden W10 menu

Depends on your target resolution. 1440p144hz *sync monitors have plenty of IPS options, for a price of course. 1080ps are all TN, I think only Samsung released some VA one.

Hi, anons. I'm looking for a PC monitor. Other than typical PC usage, I'll be using it more for playing movies/animuh than for gayming, but I may also play games (not really). I don't care about the price (I guess).

Some somewhat flexible requisites I'm thinking of right now:
-1080p (because I don't plan on watching 4K content, and even if I wanted is overkill in general in my opinion, and particularly for my GPU and the typical content I watch)
-120Hz? 240Hz? (because of the 24x5=120 thing... mmm shouldn't 120Hz be good for typical video content? 144 is ok for that too, but what about 29fps content then? please enlight me if I'm wrong)
-Matte (Monitors are usually matte right? I hate glossy with a passion. I'm buying a screen, not a mirror)
-Good blacks (so better VA than IPS?)
-23"/24"
-16:9 (muh animuh and muh I like black bars on movies)
-DVI? (does it even still exist?)
-No curved, ultrawide, or HDR memes

Is what I want even possible?

I have lots of questions. Is gsync/freesync really good for smooth video playback (for example in combination with mpv's display-resample + interpolation). Or what display technologies are recommended as of now. LCD/LED? TN/VA/IPS? (OLED? QLED? ??)

They don't use exclusively LG panels. My U2417H's use Samsung panels, and they're virtually identical to my cousin's LG panel U2424H.
In any case, what makes Dell stand out isn't the panel alone, it's that each U series comes pre-calibrated from factory. When I opened mine, each one had a calibration report like pic related, complete with serial number and had tiny differences in spectrum between them, so it doesn't look like they're just copypasted them.

>U2424H
Meant U2414H

Don't they also have a 0 dead pixels warranty?

The only dreamcolor I've ever seen couldn't handle 8-bit color properly, it only worked well with 10 bit input.
Went for an EIZO CG series instead.

Only U and P series are covered with 0 dead pixel warranty I think. In any case, for any Dell you should go with a U series anyway.

I got U2718Q and the color is vivid. Text is crisp clear. Well it's more than good. Well Dell IPS is top notch.

I haven't use Dell HDR yet.

>have a 0 dead pixels warranty
>Only U and P series are covered with 0 dead pixel warranty

What the fuck is this shit? back in my day shit didnt come with dead pixels and if it did you either returned it or exchanged it.

It always did, you were just lucky. And most manufacturers always have a certain tolerance for dead pixels in the warranty.

thats some nigger shit

It is, that's why you should always test the monitor quickly to make use of the store's return policy if necessary. Some manufacturers allow up to 6 (six) dead pixels before it's considered a "flaw".

It's definitely not a new thing either, my first lcd from the 1280x1024 times arrived with 2 dead pixels and I was told I'm shit outta luck.

Depends more on the bitrate for real-life videos. Low bitrate media will look even more blocky and shitty. High bitrate stuff will look fine.

Anime shouldn't be a problem as long as you set the appropriate interpolation filters on your media player.

I can't afford 1440p AND 144hz. Which of the two should I settle on.

Absolutely shit. Changed 3 of them, all had dead pixels. In the end, I just purchased cheap af LG. Works amazing, no dead pixels, would totally buy again.

Can anyone tell me what makes Dell IPS monitors better than for instance, LG IPS monitors?

I've had my eyes on Dell U2718Q for a while now.

I just want a 4k screen with HDR, why is it so hard to find a decent screen? It's like the monitor marked is stuck in limbo.

>Bought 4K ips Lg panel
>Few months later get red tint on black background at the top corners
>Unplug all input cables and turn monitor on/off
>Tint still present on corners
>leave it for a while and try again, problem persists
>Panick and RMA it
>Few months later manufacturer returns it stating they've found no issue
>Pissed off I open it up and test it again
>Turns out they were right the red tint disappeared
After using it for a while again I noticed that I can see the xfce panel burn in but I only notice it when I have the monitor menu opened. I can tell from the burnt in clock that the burn in is always one minute behind current time.
It is very weird, not sure if it is a software issue or whether the IPS panel itself is exhibiting burn in.

I can see a really faint xfce whisker menu in the corner if I focus really hard on a black background when I set dpms off or switch monitor to an unconnected input. Probably is burn in.

>arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=24571329
Well never mind, image persistence seems to be a common issue on low end IPS panels; luckily it is temporary.
Might try setting monitor to white as suggested and leave it on for a good hour or so and see if the issue persists.

Dell U2715H senpai
Best tech purchase I've did in a long time