Laptop Thread

We should have a thread dedicated to laptops like we do other things. One where we can discuss various brands and ask/answer questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-laptop-15t-touch-1wb97av-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your favorite brand is shit

I've only ever had HP's and yeah, they're kinda shit.

My favourite brand is better than yours in this very particular use-case

OP here, I also wanted to ask what laptops anyone could recommend for a student. I'll be going transferring to another Uni in the fall and I need a new laptop. The required specs are that it needs to have at least an i5 and 8gb of RAM. I prefer to have a 2-in-1 since I really like them. My current one is the HP Pavilion x360 13in. model with and i3-6100U, 6GB of RAM, and a 500GB HDD.

also I'd like to keep the price to no more then $800 if possible

Does anybody know what laptop Ben Shapiro use on his show? The one that's gray/black.

Which laptops works for 5+ hours and have decent cooling system with decent CPU, 13" screen and cheap and not used.
Weight isn't an issue

The only laptop that matters
>>>/tpg/

No, this is overpriced IdeaPad with a nipple.

>intel
why would get you get shitel even after the melt down scandal, get a nice amd laptop thats worth 800 dollars.

Because Intel did nothing wrong, because it was 96' and nobody cared about this shit.
But AMD at this moment offers much more interesting options, like in Athlon X64 and Phenom II times.

what? the melt down shit was for all new processors dude, they also had the security bios problems aswell.

Trip won't lie

>all new processors dude
And Pentium Pro.
>security bios problems
Mobo's problem, not intel

/Thread

How good of a brand is MSI?

I'm new to laptops and have around 1,500
So for general work, photo editing and maybe a small bit of gaming, what do I buy? Don't need that "ULTRA LIGHT" nonsense but some battery life is preferred

Asus zenbook should be perfect

Agreed. The exception is the EliteBook line. Apart from that, expect creaky flimsy stuff that overheats.

I recently got a ProBook x360 EE G1 because I needed a cheapy ultramobile laptop and didn't need much specs. It was $200 on ebay. The CPU does not cease to disappoint, but that's what I expected going in; and it's sufficient for office, email, web, and light VM work. No fans, no vents, no noise, but it doesn't seem to matter because the CPU tops out at 7W anyway.

What did surprise me is the build quality. Given the price and brand I expected the thinnest, brittlest, flimsiest plastic money can buy. But it only creaks slightly, does not flex, feels extremely sturdy, and has zero keyboard flex. It even has small drain channels from the keyboard out the bottom of the machine. I haven't dropped or abused it, but would expect it to still work if I did.

Is HP finally learning how to build computers?

Show me one then without Intel and meets my requirements

I was thinking of going with the Envy x360 line because I just found out I could get it with Ryzen but the reviews I read weren't the best.

just got a leopard pro gp72, any of you guys think there's anything I should do physically to improve performance or heat dissipation? I still have some good thermal paste left.

However I'd like to stay away from HP because
1. the two laptops I've had from them were extremely loud, even under light load
2. Their battery lives were around the same, about 4 hours. I'd like something that can go for longer.
3. I recently had to go through a whole customer support fiasco where my BIOS got corrupted and fucked the whole laptop up. The experience I had with their customer support left me feeling extremely dissatisfied.
I was thinking of going with a Dell or Lenovo because they both make 2-in-1's and I read some good reviews on them. Though I'd like to get some more feedback on that.

Yeah, unless I hear otherwise I would assume any non business line HP to be pretty cheaply built, and definitely not worth the sort of prices good laptops go for.

I saw one review of the ProBook x360 I got say it was rugged. I wasn't hoping for that much since I know HP and their ways, and figured it was probably fairly sturdy as crap laptops go, meaning it would probably be taped together in a year instead of 6 months.

100% agreed for most of their machines.
1. Mine has no fan and no HDD so it has no way of being loud.
2. The battery goes for more like 6-10 hours.
I think they may have put better engineers on this one because it's intended as a model for schools to give students.

>kill gantulyst after sunrise
>get eidolon shards
>no brillaint eidolon shard
>no radiant shard
what the fuck

fucking wrong board even

Find me a laptop with 7700hq level processing and a 4gb dedicated graphics card that isnt shit for $1200 and doesnt scream our gaymer goy

Most chromebooks use mobile processors, so heat is basically irrelevant even without any kind of fan inside of the device, and easily last around 10h on a full charge.
For example the Asus ones are really fucking cheap too.

I was looking at the HP Spectre x360
store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-laptop-15t-touch-1wb97av-1

Do you guys have any other recommendations if HP is so shit or is that criticism mostly about their lower end models?

Macbook Pro 17" Late 2011 is the only good option.

that was one of the laptops I was looking at, mostly because Linus Tech Tips gave it a good review, but that line is so fucking expensive

X1 Carbon
yes/no?

If money wasn't a factor, would you get a surface book Sup Forums?

I probably would.

But they are sort of expensive.
Why to buy a 200$ chromebook, when you can buy 200$ shitbook with Windows 10 with same tablet-grade hardware.

>Why to buy a 200$ chromebook, when you can buy 200$ shitbook with Windows 10 with same tablet-grade hardware.
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you should just go for an Alienware and call it a day?

Celeron or Pentium @ 1.6 GHz is clearly not enough for me.
Yes, it consumes 2W at worst case scenario, but I need 4 threads at least.

It's perfectly serviceable for a smooth and silent experience on ChromeOS. On Win 10 on the other hand it's going to chug like shit and the built in fans will be whirring so loudly you couldn't hear the shittastic speakers over the noise if you wanted to.

Thoughts on Inspiron 7000 series?