Multilingual

Some people make it seem really easy to be able to speak 5 languages, and some people make it seem impossible to learn more than English.

To any multilingual people here, how do you do it? Is there any tips you can give to someone that wants to learn another language?

post dicks

I'm a refugee fleeing war and persecution, any japananon to tell me how to migrate there ?
I don't speak japanese but i can learn in Japan.

is this good enough?

>tfw native bilingual (almost trilingual) master race

war and persecution? in france? my dude...

POST MEN, YOU FUCK

but I dont like men, just give me some language learning tips.

Immerse yourself in the language you're trying to learn. Watch shows, play video games, switch operating systems to the language, chat with people using it.

There's no shortcut, shit takes effort.

pretty much this, I learn English through a mix of books, tv shows and video games, my local education has nothing to offer me until I join some outside tutor group.

Learning a language by yourself IMO is impossible because there's nobody to push your progress, my best advice is to a) join a class and b) immense yourself in that language's media.

Never heard of the Nice Attack, the Bataclan attack, and the Charlie Hebdo attack ?

The french minority is persecuted and slaughtered in its former country.

I'm fluent in 4 and can somewhat blab 2½ more. All European languages share shitloads of vocabulary. At some point they actually start stepping on each others toes. For example there was this one word I remembered what it was in German but asked my Swedish friend what it was in Swedish and it was exact same word.

Now then, rest is just immersion and intuitive grammar constructing. And you feel like "oh I'm such a polyglot omg I'm smart".

But then when you try Chinese you lose all the advantages. No common vocabulary, even names are sinified and grammar is totally off the whack with all Europeans languages so you can't fill the blanks in grammar with what you can guess from relative languages. I could do absolutely nothing, NOTHING, with my former polyglottery which enabled me to practically learn one more language in few weeks for keks.

That's how you "do" it. You apply fuzzy logic and infant-like immersion to new Indo-European languages. Each becomes successively easier to learn after second one.

tunnistajat tunnistaa jne...

fuck you.

i want to learn finnish :3
is it hard?

I can probably do all that, but I cant play a video game in a language I cant understand, and I think self learning would work better for me, Education in classrooms has always felt bad to me, I went through most of high school learning more from the tests and textbook than the teachers. and High School classes for French and Spanish makes me not want to try it again.

>i want to learn finnish :3
>is it hard?

I don't know, I never tried to learn it.

Grammar is a mess of different clauses, but at least the pronunciation is logical.

Then start small - most video games have language settings now. Find one that you like and are familiar with, and switch its language!

You need to achieve a basic level, which is easily self-taught. Then you just immerse yourself until you're fluent.

>I don't know, I never tried to learn it.
what? how come?

Because I just learned it.

i speak good english and arabic i can make do in a francophone country but i'm out of practice i'm also currently learning Spanish the best advice i can give you is try to communicate with natives on a regular basis you'll be surprised by how much it helps heck sometimes i just lurk in the latino general and i picked up a few words also this works for some people while it doesn't for others try watching/listening to media in other languages it might help

i only know romance and germanic languages so i can't speak for much, but to me the hardest part is vocabulary. english is super easy cause most vocabulary is romance but german was harder for me because the vocabulary is completely different.
most importantly you have to immerse yourself in that language, like speak with native speakers irl, read books, watch shows, listen to music, youtube, etc all in that language. that's the only way you'll improve your accent. ask people for help and tips.
vocabulary wise reading helps a lot.
grammar wise connecting with people helps more. different languages have different mindsets behind them, so seeing how people in that language think is key to understanding the order and grammar.

>and I think self learning would work better for me

whatever floats your boat, if you are confident you can keep progressing without outside pressure go ahead.

But when you hit a brick wall, it might be good to consider finding a tutor for some one on one sessions.

R A R E
A
R
E

Just do it

I only speak english besides finnish. It's just natural since english is everywhere.
It's much easier to learn a new language if you start learning it at young age.

There's not any magick tricks for a new learner.
>you have to work hard and make an effort to learn a new language
>take some language courses and do your homework
>expose yourself to the language (try to find childrens books, tv-shows and movies in that language)

I don't know what kind of options you have there, but in Finland it's quite easy to start learning a new language I think, because you can take high quality lessons for free in open high schools and universities.