ISP just called, that I get an upgrade from 240 mbps to 500... for FREE! Couldn't find any obvious drawbacks...

ISP just called, that I get an upgrade from 240 mbps to 500... for FREE! Couldn't find any obvious drawbacks, so I agreed, but I'm a bit worried. How are they scamming me?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/how-the-net-neutrality-repeal-helps-isps-keep-their-hidden-fees-hidden/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It is a scam

Obviously a scam, if there's no catch then there's no reason for anyone to ask you to "upgrade".

they're probably just changing their plans due to infrastructure upgrade.

they increased my bandwidth by an extra 1TB so i was pretty happy.

Data cap* rather

Yeah, they were talking about some kind of infrastructure upgrade!

>isp shilling on Sup Forums with Sup Forums bless
This is a new age.

>ISP just called

it's over, they're watching you. get across the border before the DHS db syncs with NSA at 00:00 UTC and your passport gets blacklisted

t. cia nigger

>Scrapping Net Neutrality is ba-

I'm from EU, no CIA, no "the border", no netneutrality drama

Accepting a new plan often means you accept the new tos. That's how they get you.

ummm no sweetie, every nation in the world belongs to the USA. doubly so in IT

>'Data Cap'

Which 3rd world hell hole do you live in?

Will you notice the difference?

You're cute, thinking that.

Oh fuck, almost forgot. Let me quickly get my glock and my 'pumped up kicks.mp3', to remind my school too.

Only if I download stuff from torrent/mega/steam, which doest happen that much.

Reported.

Have fun getting v&

I see. I've only got 4mbps so to me it would be amazing to download TV episodes (1.3GB) in 45 seconds with 250 mbps, let alone 500 mbps.

>oh noe, he hurty my feely, usa best country, dont hurty

>swallowing data caps like a good little idiot

Pathetic faggot.

Wow dude, I honestly feel bad for you.

Yeah it's pretty bad but I've learnt to deal with it as there's no better option until fibre is installed in my area.

for free*

*first 3 months, additional charges might apply

Probably competing with a new ISP in your city.

Spectrum recently upgraded my service from 100mbit to 200mbit for free because the local competition was offering 200mbit for as cheap as their 100mbit... So 200mbit became their new default package...

They didn't even call me, it just started being 220mbit one day.

Wait, surely that's a typo? 240 and 500Mbps? Not 25 and 50?

In Aus we're lucky if we get 100Mbps

What's the alternative?

Nope, nothing like that. That's why i'm confused.

Shitty answer: move
Not much other than to consider it when buying a house. If you want that to change, consider net neutrality and calling your representative in congress.

unless you live in canada, then RIP in peace

Not really.

They probably called him as a misleading attempt at customer goodwill/retention.

IE: They are changing their service tiers and it would have been done automatically regardless of whether they called... But they call and offer an "upgrade" so every other idiot thinks the company is doing right by them and giving them a sweet deal... Making them more likely to remain with the company/recommend it.

Read the contract, probably data cap or speed limit will be implemented. Or ISP is just to kind.

What the hell does net neutrality have to do with data caps? ISPs have done that before, during, and now after NN. Are you some kind of parrot?

Part of net neutrality is about how some services cannot be exempt from the data cap, its either all or nothing. They cant exempt anything like for instance data from your set top box.
Also, this: arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/how-the-net-neutrality-repeal-helps-isps-keep-their-hidden-fees-hidden/

Because their intention is to copy cell phone providers. Net Neutrality makes that illegal.

They do that by implementing data caps and then making their own proprietary service that doesn't consume the data cap to compete against a service that does consume the cap. But its not really competition since the service that consumes the cap would automatically be significantly more expensive by virtue of consuming the cap...

For example, Netflix. Comcast is going to either make their own service or make a deal with some network like CBS or some shit to make their own proprietary streaming service.

And then they will put like a 10GB cap on their customers, which Netflix would eat up instantly and cost them a fortune... OR they could use "CBS All Access powered by XFINITY brought to you by Comcast!" and it wouldn't count against the cap.

Under net neutrality, traffic discrimination like that is against the law.

Not a typo, in my country you either have 200 500 or 1000 Mbps or 2-5, it purely depends on your location. In big cities you get 200 Mbps for the same price as 10 in a smaller one.

Could just be that your ISP has upgraded their shit and don't offer your old connection plan anymore and the new one costs the same.

Funny how your ISP had the courtesy of upgrading your connection. Back in the day (IIRC, around 2008 or so) we had had a certain internet connection for years and my dad happened to be in touch with the mobile phone company / ISP about some whole another subject, and they were like "hey, by the way, we just noticed you've got this age old internet plan that's been discontinued for years, mind if we upgraged it to the current one of the same price that's many times as fast?"

its cheaper to upgrade you for free than it is to keep an antiquated speed tier around for a few customers sob unless you consider saving themselves money for nothing a scam they are not louis

Why didn't it stop them before?

Because it didn't become a phenomena until the late 2000s early 2010s... And by then Obama was president and constantly advocated Net Neutrality, eventually implementing it.

It would be a pretty shitty business decision to invest in that kind of business model just before Obama made it illegal.

Now is the first chance they have gotten.

>moving places because muhhhhh internetz
Or you could always change your habits related to internet use like most humans who happen to find themselves in less-than-optimal environment.

if you live in a place with frequent droughts, you don't waste water trying to keep up a lush garden do you?
There are numerous ways to significantly cut your data usage if you actually pay attention to it, even if you're a user of P2P networks.
I'm by no mean try to justify the existence of data caps, but if that's the only way in your area then hell - 2T a month seems pretty fucking plenty too me.

I happened to be on a job stuck with 150kbps connection up/down for 2 months. I was surprised how little of a problem it was for me after the first week of mentally adjusting to it.
It almost seemed like a relief for your mental health. You suddenly find yourself engaged in other things in your free time. Would recommend it to everyone.

There giving you 500 Mb because they say up to not guaranteed. Basically they upgraded their backend infrastructure a bit so you can get up to 500 Mb where is right now you were getting it 240 possibly guaranteed 240. The way that are scamming you is in the future you're not to be able to hit 500 reliably and you might not even be able to hit 200 reliable

>Rest in peace in peace

>Rest in pepperoni peace

i was forced to upgrade from 6 mbps to 12 mbps but now i have a 100 gb data cap

What cunt/isp? UPC did this for me last year in Pooland. They didn't call though.

Summer already?

Not a scam, it's a pretty common upgrade ISPs make every couple of years, I've been living 8 years in the same place and I've been upgraded 3 times for free( 10Mbps>15>25 and now 50 with the same price of 10Mbps from 8 years ago).

2T a month? Did you mean 10GB plus 100GB for nights?

Try reading the entire thread before replying friend.

Retard

I read it. It's true that anything can be a savior. Just don't use imaginary numbers.

They're upgrading your service automatically. The only reason they called you is so that you know they're upgrading you for free.

This is supposed to give you warm fuzzy feelings about them, but they didn't bank on you being paranoid.

>I read it.
>Just don't use imaginary numbers.
Why are you lying?

Infrastructure upgrade and plan changes you dingus. If they didn't bother with this people would still be paying $50 a month for 1mbps
Ignore the retards here harping on about how it's a scam, they're all underage and their parents pay for their internet service so they have no idea what they're talking about

How is he shilling? Hrs just asking a legit question. Get over yourself.

>muh anecdote
Bruh, most of the working population rely on unrestricted internet. You were just lucky enough to have a job that you can work at IN SPITE of having shitty internet.

Talking about literally anything is shilling on Sup Forums. The kids here are so disco necessary from reality it almost makes me sad

>bandwidth
>1TB
Reading comprehension

Spot on, UPC did it

Download limit: 1GB/month

Can confirm this exactly happened to me with UPC in Poland.

yep, and no streaming services like netflix or hulu.

Can't say i don't enjoy it, finally managed to set up a reliable home server with owncloud.

Why the fuck are you lying?

>Bruh, most of the working population rely on unrestricted internet.
rely in what way?
For most (key word being most, I'm not talking about people working in fields involving exchange of large files like content production) of the working population unrestricted internet is a convenience rather than a necessity.

Found the kids

Pretty much. My ISP have been doubling my connection speeds every two years for the past decade without change in the contract.

>content production
You answered your own question, faggot.
But to add on, email, self-education, social media (inb4 "lol why du u need that", its called marketing faggot)

But I bet you will deny it, cause I bet you are the type of person who defends CLI as a form of UX for the common person.

It's gotta worse over time too. I think the game of Sup Forums has drawn in more and more people who shouldn't be here.

>email
Nowhere near the amount of data to realistically fill your data cap. People relied on email long before broadband came.

>self-education
Sure thing buddy.

>social media (inb4 "lol why du u need that", its called marketing faggot)
There's a difference between relying on something and having something because it feels good. Social media falls into the latter.
Hence why I said for most of the working population unrestricted internet is a convenience.

Social media is a convenience
Access to high-quality content like music, videos and TV shows is a convenience.
Pretty much everything that would fill your monthly data cap is a convenience, not a necessity.

Gamer gate and the 2016 elections were the worst

k, i'll ask the important follow-up question:
What is the offered UP speed?

Shitty compared to down. It was 20, now it will be 22.

if you have a cap, they probably hope you reach it sooner and jew you with additional data

They're scamming you by not giving you the speeds that new users get. ISPs will just leave you on an old plan, even when it's discontinued for being too shit to attract more customers, unless you call them out on it. You have to connect to their sites from somewhere else to even see the current plans.

Kek where i live here they raise monthly fees after 6 months free speed upgrade like yours.

>be Bongland
>99% of ISPs offer 19/38/76 down
>one offers 50/100/200 for the same price because they run their own lines
>that ISP upgrades their infrastructure
>50 is now 100, 100 is now 200, 200 is now 300
>no price change
>free upgrade for everyone already with them
>other ISPs are still stuck at 19/38/76
It's really fucking weird over here. BT are planning on >200 next year at least, but there's been zero competition for years.

>19/38/76
What the fuck? Why isn't it in even numbers?

Not a fucking clue.

what is this bullshit i get max 100 mbps up and half a meg down ;__; i don't even live in a third world country

>tryting to scam you
i live in an apartment that forces you to use a small isp that funnels all the traffic from all apartments into one modem.
I can download p2p stuff at over 1mbs but can barely browse 4chins. images have terribly loading times and webms are practically unplayable

>data cap
lmao

companies do this when they can give you better service for low cost, hoping you will go "wow, this company really looks out for me" and also to prevent you going "wtf my friend is paying the same as i do and is getting 500, fuck this company"

>fuckin strayan cunt
>had ADSL until november last year
>regular old ADSL, not 2 or 2+
>4-7 mbit, depending on whether it had rained recently (really)
>live 800m from a university
>NOVEMBER 2017

>NBN finally available in the area
>churn to 50 mbit unlimited, pirating fucking everything at once, pages load now, can stream jewpubes higher than 480p
>$100 a month

we still third world

What's wrong with data caps?

Maybe there is competition between ISP's and yours wants to secure their customers.

What's right with data caps?

What's the point of them?
t. bong, we don't have data capped broadband, at all. anything with a data cap is phone lines.

>the free market doesn't wo-

>500 mbps
>Data cap
How Australian are you ?

>500 mbps
>australian
pick one

it seems like a good way to refine your plan for your uses. I don't understand why I would want to pay for unlimited if I only use 10gb/month.

>FREE
>pays money

What did they mean by this?

But wouldn't you rather have unlimited for the same price as the capped one?

It's free until the offer is over

And then your new bill comes in

>they

>t. ISP

If it was the same price, sure. I would rather pay less and get a capped one if it's an option, though.

This.

Daily reminder that Mediacom can charge you up to $128,000+ in OVERAGES PER MONTH on a residential 1Gbps connection!