What programming languages do Sup Forums deem worthy of learning in 2018?

As a novice wanting to get into software engineering as a job I can enjoy, what are the best programming languages to learn in 2018, in your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

book.pythontips.com/en/latest/map_filter.html
github.com/LonamiWebs/Telethon/issues/270
wiki.haskell.org/Introduction
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
pastebin.com/kNzNeqet
ideone.com/74PiCQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>a job I can enjoy

Perl

You will enjoy it for a long long time.

Perl 6, to be precise. OP, spend next few years mastering it and don't think about anything else.

Is the job market for Perl large enough to warrant mastery of it?

Perl 6 is an entirely different beast than Perl 5 and will never take its omnipresence place in the Unix world. Learning Perl 6, which seems to be a comfy language, is no different than learning any of the dozen other languages developed in the recent decade.

It is. For Perl 5, but it continually shrinks as Python takes its place.

I last used Perl in 2004, and remember a spell of years when everyone called Perl 6 vaporware. What are some good things about it?

I'm teaching myself Python 3 currently. My buddy is a programmer and recommended it.

C#, Java

Rust, Perl 6 is DoA.

Good for you, user. You may already know about this, but your use of Python will become very enjoyable once you master map, reduce, and filter.
book.pythontips.com/en/latest/map_filter.html

You should learn Haskell first and then move onto more impure languages like F# and Scala

Shut up about perl, it's a kiddy language.

Learn Ruby, and be forever happy.

Is it true that once you have a language down learning another one is usually easier, as in they tend to follow the same rules.

C and ASM for an architecture of your choice if you want to do systems programming and other low level stuff. They are the fastest but require lots of attention to memory and intricacies of your system.

Go and Rust if you want those flashy new language features while retaining speed. Go has excellent support for concurrency while Rust is memory-safe without sacrificing much more than C++.

Python and Perl if you want to do lots of sysadmin work or server-side scripting. These are pretty easy and great for automating menial tasks but not very efficient.

Only if you want to masturbate with code instead of make useful things.

simplified syntax, an actual built-in repl, no-joke multi-paradigm (procedural, oo, functional), rational numbers for exact arithmetic, comparison chain, grammars, lazy evaluation, macros, concurrency, sigil invariance (you always know what you're dealing with), gradual typing (dynamic, static or mix), formal specification (documentation always describes everything precisely), main implementation is just-in-time compiled targeting multiple backends (a very good virtual machine focused on Perl 6, JVM and JS), a batteries-included distribution

Depends. There are various paradigms. Languages focused on one will work entirely different than languages focused on another. C, Haskell and Prolog are nothing like each other. Even if you use similar languages you've to take care of their idiosyncrasies or else you end up writing a language in just another syntax. (For example some loops in C will usually be made in list comprehensions in Python.)

>as a job I can enjoy
Don't do Python. I've started some work in Python for a couple of companies and while it's not as bad a language as I'd thought, there's a lot of modules and often they're made by idiots. So finding a well made module for a project is actually the hardest part.

C might not have as many jobs as the others but it's the most fun I ever had. Even when I'm doing bad I still love C, plus whenever something doesn't work I know it's my own fault not the languages. I have no real experience with C++, but if it's remotely similar to C then I guess that would be a good choice as well.

Malbolge. OP, spend next few years mastering it and don't think about anything else.

What do you mean by "well made module"? Could you elaborate by example?

C# and F#

Telethon is the most popular Telegram API module: github.com/LonamiWebs/Telethon/issues/270

Just read the replies and you'll see Lonami is a fucking moron.

Lmao nice hi terry

> C, C++, Java, C#, JavaScript
if you want to be like everybody else
> Rust, Go, Scala, Kotlin, Swift
if you want to be a bit more modern
> Elm, Elixir, Haskell, F#
If you want to become a code hipster (in a good way)

I currently know Java, HTML and python.
Python is the easiest language (for me at least)
Java and HTML gets you a lot of attention.

What is Haskell like?
What is it used for?

Scala, Kotlin, JS

>if you want to be like everybody else
More like
>if you want to actually get a job one day

unironically javascript + typescript

Solidity

wiki.haskell.org/Introduction

It's quite comfy once you learn it's true power, and managing large projects with it is a breeze. It's very easy to refactor and reason about even when your code gets complicated. As for it's uses, you'll find most of it's users are outside the mainstream webdev-type tech circles, and focus more on critical bits of non-software companies (a notable exception to this of the top of my head is Facebook, which uses it for something, but I can't remember what). I use it for trading and market analysis to run a fund in the financial sector for example.

and some trending framework like angular or react and relative ecosystems

you'll be quickly welcomed to business programming hell

Also a solid choice, pun intended.
Maybe couple it with learning some framework to make dapps on ethereum interact with web based applications. Something like web3 (again a javascript framework).
Investing your learning in blockchain related stuff is a smart move right now.
High demand, little offer.

>What is Haskell like?
It makes you hate yourself for being so dumb. No joke.

>What is it used for?
This is something most Haskell programmers can't answer.
I have heard about web applications written in Haskell. It certainly has its benefits.

>if you want to stand out and get selected in a competitive environment
>be just like the competition and compete where everyone else is competing

Is scala just Java well done? If it has compatibility with Java then I dont see downsides

is it worth getting into haskell?

Not really. Do you really want to compete with everyone else?
It can be much easier to find a job for a niche language, e.g. if you know COBOL (and are actually willing to work with it) you get swarmed with offers

/thread

Scala is Java improved a lot, and adds a lot. But that has its perils in some companies. Because many can't handle it
- your teams Java skills don't transfer that much.

Kotlin is safer for teams. Still I very much like Scala and it rightfully is one of the "newer" languages that had great successes in production use.

Its the primary playground / testing for FP techniques. But it is more of a playground. 4/5 or so things will turn out to be not so great and haskell has relatively few production users.

python, delphi

yes, because it will teach you concepts that you won't learn in almost any other language, yet can still be transferred to any other language. The knowledge you gain from learning it, even if you don't use it in the end, is priceless. I learned more from using Haskell than I did throughout my entire CS program, and I'm now a much better programmer for it. Pic very much related.

absolutely not.
total dogshit/worthless lang.
only tryhard neets will claim otherwise

x64 assembly
arm assembly
C
Coq or Isabelle

>that pic
>not promoting HolyC
gtfo user

Haskell is so good, it makes you horny. :^)
I forced to use bash and python and I'm not a sysadmin.

Hubert go home

>tryhard
so you mean only competent people that actually want to be good programmers instead of lazy code monkey pajeets?

Sold!

D

Currently trying to learn Python 3, what other languages should I learn? Going to be majoring in statistics, want to make enough money so that I can GTFO of society

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

So you want a starting/junior programming job?

You MUST master the basics of programming, and be able to implement your programming knowledge using any language. That means solving problems without relying on any particular syntax. If you cannot separate programming syntax from programming concepts/algorithms, then you will need to go back and focus on the basics.

After mastering the basics, you want a starting job. Let us look at languages that will help you launch your programming career. And no, you will not be earning $300k/year when you are just starting, but you may do so if you persevere.

1- Java. Enormously popular, Java is everywhere, and everyone wants a Java developer. A must for Android applications.

2- Javascript. It runs most of the internet! A must for website developers, (with CSS and HTML.)

3- Objective C/Swift. The languages that power Apple gadgets. A must for iOS applications.

There are more languages in high demand, but they require more experience. Master the following to expand your horizons:

-SQL. Because data must get stored.
-C. Real programmers point to this language.
-C++. For classy, objective programmers.
-Python. For high-paying sssoftware engineering jobs.

>WHAT OTHER LANGUAGES ARE IN HIGH DEMAND?
Other than what was mentioned above: C#, Ruby, and PHP.

>I WANT TO WORK WITH HARDWARE DIRECTLY. WHAT LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Machine code. Good luck, friend.

>WHAT HUMANLY-READABLE LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Assembly. When it comes to programming, Assembly is the apex predator.

>I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE LATEST NEW MODERN not-a-fad LANGUAGES!
Take a look at Rust, Go, Hack, Scala, Julia, Dart, and Erlang.

>THOSE LATEST not-a-fad LANGUAGES WILL GUARANTEE A JOB, RIGHT?
No.

>I STARTED LEARNING [language x] BUT YESTERDAY MY [friend/lecturer/uncle] SAID TO SWITCH TO [language y]. WHAT DO?
You have already started, so stick. That other language will still be there when you are done with your current task.

>python
>C
>Java
Did i do good Sup Forums?

BTW posting to you live on my comfy slitaz distro VM.

Where do i go to learn the fundamentals of programming?
What is the core/secret or underlying principle i need to understand?

not the same user btw, but your info is on a need-to-know basis.

sorry meant

>Where do i go to learn the fundamentals of programming?
Any starting language will teach the fundamentals of all programming languages.

A loop is a loop. From language to language, the syntax will be slightly different, but a loop remains a loop. Once you understand the concept of a loop, you can apply it anywhere.

>What is the core/secret or underlying principle i need to understand?
Condense all programming tips into a single post, eh? That is a tough call, but I will give it a shot.

ITT a bunch of NEETS and tier 1 tech support employees tell new programmers that learning C is the easiest way into software engineering

Have any of you dudes actually looked at what entry level jobs look like nowadays? Nobody is hiring zero professional experience C devs, broskis. Meanwhile you can take a 6 week course in WordPress or front end webdev and start charging $50-80/hr freelance all damn day. C is a great first language to start to learn how to be a proper software engineer, but acting like it's the fast track to making money and getting a career in development is insane.

>Currently trying to learn Python 3, what other languages should I learn?
"Should "being the emphasized operator? The C family, particularly C++ and C#. They're the keys to other modern languages.
>Going to be majoring in statistics, want to make enough money so that I can GTFO of society
If your goal is to make money over the internet by selling code, SQL, Perl, Java and JavaScript are what make you money. That and mobile app development.

i dont think you read the thread, broski

The basic principles underlying all of programming:

0- All programming can be reduced to assignment of data. As such, assignment is the most basic, most fundamental AND most important concept of programming. Learn assignment, learn to do it perfectly 100% of the time, or get out of programming.

1- After assignment, most of programming is checking of data, and moving of data. Assigning data, checking data, and moving data account for 99% of programming. I do not know what the remaining 1% is.

2- The computer is a dumb, obedient machine. Any and all computers are dumb machines. Your PC, laptop, smartphone, smartwatch are all as dumb and as obedient as a light bulb. Your favourite AI-bot is a dumb, obedient machine. The latest cool robot is a dumb, obedient machine. There are no exceptions to this rule, and that includes the counter-example you are thinking of.
2a- A dumb machine cannot think. You must do the logical thinking. If you cannot do the logical thinking, get out of programming.
2b- An obedient machine cannot say no. It will do as it is told. If you cannot give detailed, complete instructions, get out of programming.

3- As a direct consequence of 2/2a/2b, everything that the program does, it does because of you. If you put in dumb instructions, the computer/program will not fix it for you, because of 2a. If the program does dumb things, it is because you told it to do dumb things, and 2b.
3a- This concept is known as GIGO: Garbage in, garbage out. Whenever there is a bug in the program, it is because you put it there. Any issue, any problems, any bugs, any garbage... is there because you created it.
3b- When the program spits out garbage, it is because you put garbage in it. If you cannot handle the consequences of your actions, get out of programming.

So:
-Learn assignment
-Learn to think logically
-Learn to give detailed, complete instructions
-Accept full responsibility
-Or get out

The most fun I've had is definitely Android apps. The Android framework takes a while to master but once you understand states and lifecycles everything flows together so well.

Other than that most web apps (for desktops) written in JavaScript + ASP.net/Java backend seem to be the biggest growing field.

Can someone please give me feedback on this?

the principles are all contained in here:
pastebin.com/kNzNeqet

your first two points completely ignore immutability and all the mathematics that lead to computer science in the first place. I don't blame you, the real mathematical foundations are criminally under-taught. But focusing on moving bits around is missing the forest for the trees. The core foundations of computing are contained in boolean algebra, abstract algebra, lambda calculus, automata theory, combinatorics, and type theory, with honorable mentions to category theory and homotopy type theory. All that bits and logic gates do, is implement the fundamental patterns found in those branches of math.

I mean it's accurate. But I think OP needed a more hand-holdy answer.

>the whole post
vague as shit, far too general.
Definitely would make a great copy-pasta or stick for the board though.

user was probably loooking more for things like understanding modules, efficient algorythms, or other shit like that.

>learn assignment
no shit shirlock
>learn to think logically
unless you're actually retarded this should be easy.
>give detailed instructions
kk
>accept responsibility
this is the internet, women don't exist
>git out
now that is a sentiment i can get behind

Here's my answer:
>learn to break down big probems into smaller manageble chunks
>never use embedded loops you fucking nigger
>try to be less shit
>on a scale of shit to soap-scum: recursion, loops, hash tables, dictionaries and stacks, complex mathematical functions
>unless you know what you're doing let the machine handle garbage collection
>fuck you and your gay ass "modern" language, stick to what has shown itself to work and what is in the industry
>if you are using more than 3 if-else statements, you need to fucking kill yourself or use switch statements.
>dont do this:
if(x){ return
}else if{ return
}else if{ return
}else{ return
}
>instead do this:
if(x)
return
return
>why?, because return statements terminate conditionals or functions, so you don't make garbage code

>>>>>>MAKE CLEAN CODE, DOCUMENT, OR DIE IN SHIT

(Perl(is(only(good(if(you(like (parentheses))))))))

nice

upvote

kek

>>learn to think logically
>unless you're actually retarded this should be easy.
You'd be surprised. Even many people who claims to do so, and even call themselves "rational", are utterly shit at logic. Programmers are some of the most stubbornly illogical people I've met, probably because they just assume they know how to think logically.

The only language worth learning is JAVA!!!!

wait, theres more!
>hurr, i dont do mathematics
fuckiung kill yourself, learn descrite maths you panzie, math isn't hard anyways
>/softies/
thats right motherfucker, unless you know whats going on under the hood you don't know jack shit, learn some assembly
>relying on automation to do your job
a goood example is tensorflow, you need to remove those training wheels at some point and go deeper or rucking hang yourself.

well what do you mean think logically? Elaborate.
Also i would have to agree with you, off the top of my heard fedoras are probably the worst offenders, because they don't even understand something so simple as:
p -> q
p
~ q

and yet they act like any of their "revolutionary" questions about God that totally BTFO's all beleif in him is worthwhile. I used to fuck with them but you can only laugh at a retarded dog for so long before you start to pity it. To be honest materialists in general are on the same boat of pseudo-rational """logic""" as fedoras.

>all this poor spelling
a small price to pay for using a slow-as-shit slitaz VM.

>

>well what do you mean think logically?
as in actually knowing formal logic and fallacies, and knowing how to apply them properly. So we seem to be in agreement.

It's shocking how many stem-inclined people are utterly terrible at this basic fundamental prerequisite. And yeah, the "skeptic community" is completely rife with such brainlets.

>i mean university logic AKA: what liberal art universities taugh when liberal arts was a catholic thing (the quadrivuum and trivuum).
I completely agree that that is a necessity, logical fallacies will fuck with you like a devil on your shoulder unless you know what to look out for.

>skeptics
the name along makes me think of a circle-jerk of pseudo-intellectuals about "muh skepticism when it suits me" and other aweful shit.

You may be surprised to know this, but in my spare time i do theological apologetics (mostly to spite "skeptics") and i've found that my understanding of fallacies, my abilities in rhetoric, etc, have improved dramatically. Turns out when you actually do the research, back up your facts, minimize appeals, and act like a reasonable and level-headed fellow, life starts working.

I certainly haven't covered all te bases though and still have much to learn, do you have any books to reccomend regarding rhetoric, logic, or the like?

>I do theological apologetics (mostly to spite "skeptics") and i've found that my understanding of fallacies, my abilities in rhetoric, etc, have improved dramatically.
That's definitely a good way to go about it. Actually trying to understand and explain the reasonings behind archaic teachings is much more intellectually challenging than just blindly dismissing stuff you don't know about off-hand. So kudos for that.

>do you have any books to reccomend regarding rhetoric, logic, or the like?
Not for rhetoric specifically, since I honed in my logic pretty much straight from doing proofs while learning abstract algebra and category theory, and simultaneously studying a lot of psychology and philosophy, which helped see through a lot of the common bullshit people trot out.

For casual math stuff, I can definitely recommend "The Mathematical Experience", "Fermat's Enigma", and "The Proof is in the Pudding", which really go into the details of rigorous proof in a relatively easy, enjoyable to read way.

For Philosophy, look no further than the works of Karl Popper, particularly his "Logic of Scientific Discovery". A lot of actual "scientists" claim to follow his ideas, yet have no fucking clue what the man actually wrote or argued for.

For psychology, two of my favorites are "The Origins of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", and "The Master and His Emissary", which while speculative, highlight the underpinnings of really common forms of illogical thinking. "Deviate: the science of seeing differently" and "The Righteous Mind" can be seen as continuations of those same themes, which are also interesting. A big part of being able to catch logical flaws efficiently when they happen, is to be able to associate arguments with certain behavioral traits and the patterns/traps their lines of thought tend to fall into.

Sold.

>learn assignment
>elementary, my dear watson
>learn to think logically
>unless you're actually retarded this should be easy.
I have just finished my ~20th interview today, from a pool of 160 initial candidates who applied for a job. A webdev job. An easy webdev job. Want to know what I have found out?

1- The vast majority of candidates do not know proper assignment. Initializing variables INSIDE loops was a common theme.
2- Logical, rational thinking is rarer than diamonds. The candidates often responded in shock and confusion when asked to do a task that required ULTRA BASIC application of VERY SIMPLE mathematical logic. This included fresh grads, people with 2-3 years of exp (the most common, since it is what I asked for in the job ad), people with 5, 10, and even 15 of exp. The most experienced candidate had 19 years of experience, meaning that they were a professional programmer for longer than some Sup Forumsentlemen have been alive. Do you know the question that ended the interview?

"Find all the odd numbers between 0 and 100".

I am compiling my findings. Might make a detailed thread later.

>"Find all the odd numbers between 0 and 100"
God DAMN. I wasn't surprised by the rest of your post, because I already knew people fail fizzbuzz all the time regardless of experience. But holy hell, this is a new low. I feel bad for the company hiring, it's like they legitimately tried to lower their bar to find somebody, and still couldn't.

>That's definitely a good way to go about it.
thanks. Its definitely advantageous o the mind to think from the perspective of others, even those you disagree with, in order to better understand their way of thinking. Can also really help in discussions too. Its also a lot of fun if you're interested in that kind of thing (which i am). I find that in terms of philosophy theology has some of the most interesting material regarding critical thinking, because its intirely conceptual. I mean, i was started when i first found that the church fathers of the early christians church had rock-solid philisophical insights, some were straight-up platonic it made my mind tingle so much! I would definitely reccomend checking ut summa theologica, though the arguments are archaic by modern materialistic and utilitarian standards, if you take yourself out of that skin the content is mind-blowing and prophetic. Turns out its true that there is nothing new under the sun.
I find its very entertaining and challenging to think like a true skeptic: is reality real? am i imagining my though or is my experience of self genuine?
When you go decartes-deep you will really see the world in a new light, knowing that nothing is certain but we can assert with confidence only 2 laws which is: cogito ergo sum, and 1+1=2.
Sorry for ranting senpai, i just love talking abut this stuff.

>those books
sound like good reccomendations senpai, will check em when i can.

>psychology
are you me? I only took some rudimentary courses but it really is eye-opening once you can see through all the shit people do on a daily basis without even realizing it.

This is from a face-to-face interview.

1- Count down from 700 -> 200 in decrements of 13.
2- Show the 12x12 table.

Enjoy.

I think the joke is that all these corporate initiatives to bring the prices of programmers down; the "You can be a programmer too!" is just making people who otherwise wouldn't be programmers into more chaff for interviewers to sort through, making programmers more expensive anyway.

>Initializing variables INSIDE loops
genuninely made me feel pain
>simple math logic
please show some, i bet i could pass thsoe but i want to be sure.

>find all the odd numbers between 0 and 100
how the fuck could you possibly fail this?
Here, i'll do it right now:
for in in range(100):
print("Odd" if i%2!=0 else "Even")

did i do good senpai?

I do not know what language that is, but
>i%2!=0
If you understand what this line means, congratulations, you are in the top 1%!

tell me how i did?
#im assuming 12x12 table means 12xn where n is increasing linearly?
for(int i = 0; i 199.
for(int i = 700; i

the language is python.
I first start a for-iterator (oops, i mean i not in in, sorry) which is automated in python. Then i send the print command for each iteration, and then have a ternary operator return a string dependent on if i is divisible by 2 or not, since no odd number is divisible by 2.

>I find that in terms of philosophy theology has some of the most interesting material regarding critical thinking
Indeed. People these days seem to forget just how old religious teachings are, and what purpose they actually served. That knowledge was preserved for so long for a reason, and it's silly to just dismiss it as a bunch of myths. These were facts of life that were often learned the hard way, and thus were deliberately repackaged to be memorable. Just wait until you go through the "Bicameral Mind" book (another spin off of it I recommend in this case is "The Minds of the Bible"), it will totally change the way you read old religious texts.

>I only took some rudimentary courses but it really is eye-opening once you can see through all the shit people do on a daily basis without even realizing it.
Yep. Understanding personality psychology (and consequently "behavioral economics") is probably the most overlooked essential life skill there is. Probably gets even less lip service than "logic", lol. So yeah, definitely keep studying that stuff, because it pays back big time in a lot of different unexpected ways, but it does require practice like any other skill. I'm a fan of Carl Jung for example, but his writing can be tricky to make heads/tails of if you don't already have a lot of experience carefully observing people's patterns.

I only ask the 12x12 question in face to face interviews, because I show them a sample 12x12 table on my screen to prevent any misunderstanding. English is poorly spoken here.

You should have done better, user.

The 12x12 table. Like so.

Maybe I will re-word it to
>show the 12x12 multiplication table

>the minds of the bible and Bicameral mind
sounds like good reads, making a note now. I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.

>more psychology
I don't have the funds, maybe i should land a job asap or join a military academy and get free education+free discipline?
>carl jung
based on hear-say he sounds antithetic to most of what i beleive, but a though gone unchallenged is a though gone to waste, so i should probably check him out.
Which book would you reccomend as a starter?

oh, thats easy baby!
just have 2 nested for loops (though i personally hate nested any-loop desu).

If i cared to think harder, i might try figuring out an alternative way, in fact i'll do that first thing tommorow.

>i might try figuring out an alternative way,
Interesting! You have given me an idea.

Here is the original simple question:
>Show the 12x12 table

Here is a moderate challenge:
>Show the 12x12 table, using only one loop.
Good luck!

It depends on what exactly you want to do, to get your foot in the door I would recommend Java. Once you have gotten the basics down I'd say python and if you really want to have fun scala.

Or you know, actually stand out.

>only 1 loop
definitely wise to prepare for this before-hand methinks. It would take me at least 15 minutes to figure this out with the rudimentary student knowledge i have.

I'm thinking an array, an extra iterator, and a while loop. Or something along those lines.
In essence one can do this using a fixed data-structure containing the numbers 1-12 but it will make things a bit messy, still smaller big O thoughso worth it in my books.
It's 12 over here though, and i have class tommorow, so i'll need to postpone solutions untill tommorow evening.

this is what I´m learning at college

You don't need any of that. Think about integer division and modulo

C++ if you want a real job.

Good point, my eyes are tired though so i won't stare at the table right now.
I'll definitely chalenge my peers to this...

g'night

also scry ad so i predict he won't be impeached.

>get free education+free discipline?
yeah, self taught is pretty much the way to go. Pirated ebooks and University lectures on YouTube can go a very long way, just gotta have the discipline to keep at it.

>based on hear-say he sounds antithetic to most of what i beleive, but a though gone unchallenged is a though gone to waste, so i should probably check him out.
yeah, that's unfortunately not surprising. He's one of the most misunderstood and misrepresented thinkers out there. I mean, he definitely wrote a lot of "out there" shit, but he was aware of that and did so deliberately while being completely open about what he was doing, and that it was purely for the sake of exploring different ideas and approaches. I don't think he was particularly committed to his more experimental methods/ideas actually being correct or anything, but of course he gets painted as a superstitious loony by "rationalists" for even thinking about that kind of shit.

As for his books, his most interesting stuff is buried in his large "Collected Works" archive, particularly the volumes dealing with personality. I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I think it was mostly volumes 6 through 9. I haven't even finished going through all that myself yet, so I can't really recommend anything more specific than that. I will say that a lot of parts are skippable though, and that others require knowledge of Freud in order to really make sense of, but if you just focus on his stuff about Archetypes, the Collective Unconscious, the Shadow/Anima, and especially the Cognitive Functions, you should be fine.

ideone.com/74PiCQ
int b = 0;
for(int i = 0; i < 12 * 12;i++){
b++;
System.out.printf("%d ",((i % 12) + 1) * ((i / 12) + 1) );
if(b == 12){
System.out.println("");
b = 0;
}
}